Polearm Sam Halp!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Polearm sam halp!
Polearm sam halp!
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 00:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay real polearm sams! Anything you guyes can see in my setups I should change asap? (Except the obvious kittypants)
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-02-12 00:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely work on getting a tomoe, its an amazing polearm for SAM. Using that new belt Virtuoso Belt for WS instead of warwolf is another thing you could look into, bearing in mind penta thrust only has 20% mod on STR/DEX so generally Att/acc works out better.

Also as said earlier changing STR ring for acc or dex ring (i use Ulthalam's personally). Hope that helps.
By Audra 2010-02-12 01:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, Polearm is pretty decent in some endgame areas... Dynamis is one of them. I've always said it this way: If you don't have Hagun or Relic, use a polearm.
A good sam with hagun or relic with the proper setup will still outdamage an equally geared polearm sam on most dynamis mobs. The exception: anything weak to piercing.

Things like birds at merit camps, polearm obviously outperforms hagun for a fraction of the cost, though.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 01:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah thanks, I'll probably end up camping that belt, and just make 2 penta setups, one with _alot_ of acc and one less acc and more power depending on what I'm fighting.
Tomoe will be high up on my list together with kittypants and eventually usu feet.
 Garuda.Shevanel
Server: Garuda
user: Shevanel
By Garuda.Shevanel 2010-02-12 01:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a hard time justifying using a weapon with 240 skill versus a gkt with 8/8 merited to 297 skill, even on birds. my current situation doenst not allow me to merit polearm.
 Odin.Ahligieri
Server: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2010-02-12 01:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Shevanel said:
I have a hard time justifying using a weapon with 240 skill versus a gkt with 8/8 merited to 297 skill, even on birds. my current situation doenst not allow me to merit polearm.

Penta thrust benefits hugely from buffs (zerk/minuet/chaos roll) is why it's so good. Add that on top of 19% overwhelm dmg + 25% extra dmg from birds....it would be stupid not to use polearm.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-02-12 01:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Shevanel said:

What your looking at with penta is ~300dmg a hit *5 or mostly *4 (1.2k usual #), since 5 hits landing is only half the time, VS a straight ~1k Gekko. The only thing with penta is, as it's been said, heavily Dependant on buffs. Acc can be an issue on 5-hit builds vs birds if you're gear isn't great but you shouldn't have any acc issues on a 6-hit.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 01:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celestinia said:
Garuda.Shevanel said:

What your looking at with penta is ~300dmg a hit *5 or mostly *4 (1.2k usual #), since 5 hits landing is only half the time, VS a straight ~1k Gekko. The only thing with penta is, as it's been said, heavily Dependant on buffs. Acc can be an issue on 5-hit builds vs birds if you're gear isn't great but you shouldn't have any acc issues on a 6-hit.
My potential 6hit vs the potential 5hit got exactly the same acc, I dont really see why a 6hit wouldnt have acc-issues with a 480 delay weapon, but a 5hit would?
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-02-12 01:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Kvazz said:
Garuda.Shevanel said:

My potential 6hit vs the potential 5hit got exactly the same acc, I dont really see why a 6hit wouldnt have acc-issues with a 480 delay weapon, but a 5hit would?

I guess it depends how you're making the 5-hit =/ I'm using askar body so I do lose Acc but have more haste lol
 Asura.Solotrav
Server: Asura
user: solotrav
By Asura.Solotrav 2010-02-12 01:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

For my SAM i use a Engtsuto but with a +8 weaponskill acc synergy mod I find this better then Tomoe.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 01:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess it depends how you're making the 5-hit =/ I'm using askar body so I do lose Acc but have more haste lol

Ahh I see:P Dont think I'd sacrifice hauby+1 for anything but usu body unless it was on really non-evasive mobs personally D:
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 01:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solotrav said:
For my SAM i use a Engtsuto but with a 8 weaponskill acc synergy mod I find this better then Tomoe.

I'd pick a tomoe over that myself I think, more acc for the tp-phase, as that's the place i lack the most acc, and the attack is sexy too.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-02-12 02:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

just thought i'd add this for the non usu people,

rose strap + rajas ring + brutal earring + ecphoria ring + hachiman kote + merits = perfect 5hit for sam, that will let you keep your haub+1(or nq) for tp and ws.

Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-02-12 02:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solotrav said:
For my SAM i use a Engtsuto but with a 8 weaponskill acc synergy mod I find this better then Tomoe.

this depends on your penta setup tbh, if your using a meat build then your ok, but if your eating sushi then your alot better off with tomoe, or leviathan's couse.

i have 2 pole builds myself, sushi build and meat build

edit- i just thought of this a bit more lol, i dont think thats anywhere close to being better than tomoe >.>;

tomoe = +1 basedmg +3acc +5attk during tp compared to your augmented engetsuto

and its only -5wsacc loss during ws compared to tomoe but you gain 1base dmg and 5attk during ws >.>; my problem isnt really missing penta hits than it is my tp hitrate (83~% w/ meat build on birds) so ima stick with tomoe lol.
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2010-02-12 03:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Kvazz, I want you to ignore everything that Yov said earlier. Their numbers were wrong about your accuracy. Of course, that's only if you intend on meriting polearm skill, which if you're serious about SAM, you will.

70+15DEX
256 Combat skill
+46 accuracy on your TP set
Crab Sushi

vs. a lv82 Greater Colibri with Hasso on, will get you over the cap on accuracy by about 10 or maybe even more. Without merits you'll suffer, and will need to use something like Squid/Bream sushi to cap your accuracy.