I'm Doin' Something Wrong...

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » I'm doin' something wrong...
I'm doin' something wrong...
 Kujata.Kensagaku
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Kensagaku
By Kujata.Kensagaku 2010-02-04 22:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, Kensagaku from Kujata here, working on that last long grind towards getting BRD up to 75, currently 15k towards 69. Lately, though, I've been noticing an odd issue in parties: I've been getting an unreasonable amount of resists. This occurs both on Lullabies and once in a while on Elegy. The former is more of a concern since that means I get smacked around by an angry bird or imp until the tank is freed up (usually I fast pull parties with minimal difficulty), but the latter is annoying too. I have capped skill and what I hope is a good gear set, but... maybe someone could offer some advice as to where I'm going wrong. o_O

Gear is as follows:

Main: Apollo's Staff (Aug'd: M.Eva+2)/Earth Staff (Saving for Terra's)
Sub: Bugard Leather Strap +1
Ranged: I.R. Horn/Horn +1 (Lullaby and Elegy respectively)/Traversiere +1 (Madrigal)/Cornette +1 (Minuet)
Ammo: Empty
Head: Trump Crown (Should prolly get Opo Crown. >_>; )
Neck: Wind Torque / Bird Whistle (pre-65)
Earrings: Melody Earring x2 (perhaps the +1s would help?)
Body: Minstrel's Coat
Hands: Choral Cuffs
Ring1: Nereid's Ring (Aug'd: STR/AGI-1, VIT/Eva+1)
Ring2: Hope Ring (Debuffs) / Minstrel's Ring (Party buffs)
Back: Jester's Cape +1
Waist: Gleeman's Belt / Swift Belt (for Utsusemi)
Legs: Choral Cannions
Feet: Cobra Unit Pigaches

So total that usually has me at anywhere from upper 20s to mid 30s in additional CHR, +16 Wind Skill, +5 Singing Skill, and +3 String Skill. Those combined with capped skills at 68 and at least one HQ staff should be helping me see less resists, right? Yet I'm still seeing a lot. o.o;

Any suggestions would be great, so [please] [Help me out!].
 Kujata.Erim
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-02-04 22:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been awhile, but if you're trying to lullaby Colibri, I think they had a bit of a resistance toward it, nothing too strong, but enough to notice some difficulty.

Really I don't see anything wrong with you gear, though the Opo crown would help. I recall some difficulty as well but it faded away as I got higher level and began doing merits at 75.

Get CHR rings for it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought CHR rings were important to help land things like lullaby.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-02-04 23:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Light/Earth Grip for extra macc.
Mary's Horn and Opo Crown are the other immediate improvements that i can see.
[+]
 Kujata.Kensagaku
By Kujata.Kensagaku 2010-02-04 23:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I have a Mary's Horn, but all that does is add duration to the Lullaby. About 3 seconds. I'm talking about actual resists. ^^;

Light/Earth Grip are both level 70, though I'll be getting those the instant I hit that level. And Opo Crown I agree I should probably get. The Lazy is strong in this one though.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-02-04 23:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm too lazy to check what gear you can wear sooo take this with a grain of salt. Also I want you to know things have been resisting a lot for me recently and I have nearly perfect gear..... :/

Terra's will help you majorly, I know you can't really get that yet.

Head Demon's Helm (think it's 72 :x) Opo helps but it's easily replaced by pretty much everything.

Ears: Wind Earring + Singing Earring (Or musical + wind)

Body: Errant Hpl.

Ringx2: Nereid unless you have balhran's/omega

Legs: Sha'ir

Feet: I think dance shoes are better, dunno the level.

Keep in mind that this is debuffs only, you want skill+ for buffs.

If you want more information I'll halp more after I'm done getting my face eated by campaign monsters~
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-04 23:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Chr effects macc of songs. From brds I've talked to it seems to follow similar rules as int. At low amounts 1 chr is about 1 macc at decent amounts 2chr is about 1 macc. However since brd utilizes both singing and whatever skill the skill to macc ratio is kinda crap that far up like 2 to 1 or so.

So that being said heeres some good stuff
Head: Diana Corona or Noble's Ribbon or the opo if you eating that food.

body: Menetrier's Alb +1

And obviously HQ what you can. You will get alot of improvements at like 70-72
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-02-04 23:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Eww I think most of the stuff I said was too high of a level. owell. ._.;
 Asura.Israfel
Server: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-02-04 23:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey there^^ Gonna shove my 2 cents in really quick ;)

I noticed resists were a bit icky in the 60's since you're kinda in the inbetween stage before you get some nice CHR gear available to you.

Things I would upgrade are:

CHR rings - since your wind skill is capped you're going to want a nice +CHR base, the lv 55 rings (I think moon is the NQ?) offers 3CHR for 20k on Asura.

Opo crown and a good supply of pamamas is awesome for your level, please try to acquire this item ^^. Pamamas are a very cheap food to use with this and will give you some really delicious bonuses.
You'll notice with just these 2 upgrades that you'll start resisting less ^^

Once you can equip at 70, grab yourself a light grip and macro it in for lullaby, the m.acc is really nice. Same for earth grip, too.

You didn't mention the food you use (if any). I highly recommend tuna sushi (Befriend a fisherman!) or tavnazian tacos, these both give a nice charisma bonus and the tacos give some other nice things like defense, hp and mp+.

The cobra unit feet are pretty nice too ^^, you didn't mention your race so I can't suggest any race-specific armor for feet, I'm sorry!

That's all I can think of right now^^, I hope this helps!

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-04 23:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Good thing to use to check gear setups is http://myffxigear.kicks-***.org/
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-02-04 23:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ehh, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but CHR in all slots for debuff isn't that great of an idea, especially since things like Nereid rings trump the magic accuracy of CHR rings out there, and double for buffs. Same goes for Singing/Wind earrings. I'd really not bother getting an Opo-crown, and save towards a Demon Helm+1.
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2010-02-04 23:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

My reason for mentioning the opo crown was because for the time being it's free (if you're crazy like me and farmed all the items for it D: )

plus 69-72 can seem oh-so-very long, especially if you're resisting lullabies hehe

Have a good day everyone! :]
 Kujata.Kensagaku
By Kujata.Kensagaku 2010-02-04 23:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Israfel said:
Hey there^^ Gonna shove my 2 cents in really quick ;)

I noticed resists were a bit icky in the 60's since you're kinda in the inbetween stage before you get some nice CHR gear available to you.

Things I would upgrade are:

CHR rings - since your wind skill is capped you're going to want a nice CHR base, the lv 55 rings (I think moon is the NQ?) offers 3CHR for 20k on Asura.

Opo crown and a good supply of pamamas is awesome for your level, please try to acquire this item ^^. Pamamas are a very cheap food to use with this and will give you some really delicious bonuses.
You'll notice with just these 2 upgrades that you'll start resisting less ^^

Once you can equip at 70, grab yourself a light grip and macro it in for lullaby, the m.acc is really nice. Same for earth grip, too.

You didn't mention the food you use (if any). I highly recommend tuna sushi (Befriend a fisherman!) or tavnazian tacos, these both give a nice charisma bonus and the tacos give some other nice things like defense, hp and mp .

The cobra unit feet are pretty nice too ^^, you didn't mention your race so I can't suggest any race-specific armor for feet, I'm sorry!

That's all I can think of right now^^, I hope this helps!

Thanks! The help is appreciated. Did forget to mention a few things though. ^^; I am a Hume and I generally use Tavnazian Salad for parties (simply because I get the CHR and some of the boosts from the taco but for a full 3 hours. I don't usually die.).
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-02-04 23:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Israfel said:
My reason for mentioning the opo crown was because for the time being it's free (if you're crazy like me and farmed all the items for it D: )

plus 69-72 can seem oh-so-very long, especially if you're resisting lullabies hehe

Have a good day everyone! :]

Well, you have to keep in mind that the stupid quest costs you 50k+ in gil too, which is obnoxious. But yeah, resists are kinda garbage. :x
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2010-02-04 23:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely forgot about the pre-req quests! D: *stupid gullibles travels ;~;*

Have a great day, Ninian!

Edit: gah! the only decent RSE subs I had were for mithra or galka, now is your time to run away and go and either grow a tail or pack on 300lbs so you can fit into galka RSE feet :P
The salad is really nice food, sucks if you die though >< but you say you don't usually die, so that is not bad at all ^^
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2010-02-04 23:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm told magic accuracy helps bard just as much as it helps red mage. I've seen some bards wearing magic accuracy items like goliard and the omega ring. Other than that they are using the typical bard items for every other slot.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-02-04 23:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Israfel said:
I completely forgot about the pre-req quests! D: *stupid gullibles travels ;~;*

Have a great day, Ninian!

Edit: gah! the only decent RSE subs I had were for mithra or galka, now is your time to run away and go and either grow a tail or pack on 300lbs so you can fit into galka RSE feet :P
The salad is really nice food, sucks if you die though >< but you say you don't usually die, so that is not bad at all ^^

Yeah gullibles travels was awful. BRD was my first character and I wanted an Opo-crown sooo badly. Anyway I really didn't even have the gil for the pre-req quest ; -;. Not to mention it's replaced later by other stuff.

Hahahaha grow a tail.... :<

Have a great day too Isra~ ;3
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-04 23:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk I was just told that ratio of skill to macc really really fails at higher combine amounts to the point 2skill~2chr~1macc. Well at higher chr lvls lower ones chr will be more effective
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-04 23:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Also you should get one of these.

[+]
 Kujata.Kensagaku
By Kujata.Kensagaku 2010-02-04 23:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd love an augment like that. xD
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-02-04 23:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

If I didn't have a Marduk's Tiara, I'd hate you.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-04 23:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

How about this my brd is lvl 9 so I npc'd it. Also got several decent demon helm augments from ANNM
 Fenrir.Suterusu
Server: Fenrir
user: Suterusu
By Fenrir.Suterusu 2010-02-04 23:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=18086
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-02-04 23:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

How about this my brd is lvl 9 so I npc'd it. Also got several decent demon helm augments from ANNM

If you ever level BRD you're going to hate yourself. A lot.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-02-04 23:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fixed sut's thingy.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-04 23:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Remora.Ninian said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
If you ever level BRD you're going to hate yourself. A lot.
Maat's cap job onry. Also I have a feeling I will get something better before then while trying to get a good blm augment on it lol. Probably like 10 better ones before I get something I'd use on blm
 Ragnarok.Inga
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2010-02-22 16:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

>_> I don't know how you're getting resisted.

I leveled BRD so half assed it was pathetic

Apollo/Terra
HQ Horns
Dream Hat
Scorpion Harness
Melody +1 (only 1 o_O)
NQ Opal Ring x2(Until Nereid)
Flower Necklace until Piper's Torque
AF Hands
AF Pants
Cobra Pigaches

I only got resisted on Colibri with Elegy every so often, when I got done with Colibri and was on Flaming Crawlers and Imps, I never got resisted once on any of my songs.

and even still I'm half assed on my BRD majority of the time lol
 Ramuh.Lucried
user: Lucried
By Ramuh.Lucried 2010-02-22 17:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

your gear looks fine to me shouldnt really be having a problem only thing i can think off offhand, is what lvl are you syncing down to typically i mean if your trying to do imps at 65 or colibri at 60 your gonna have issues like that for a couple lvls.