A Few Questions About My THF Gear.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » A Few Questions About My THF Gear.
A Few Questions About My THF Gear.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-01-31 19:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the TP set I use right now, I'm 51. And no, I don't main hand hornetneedle, it just wouldn't go in the Sub slot like I wanted.

For SATA WS (Viper Bite) I swap in Spike Neck, Brigandine, Custom Gloves, Dex+3 Ring over Sniper's, and Vanguard Belt. Squid Sushi +1 normally for food.

First Question: At 57 I have an SH+1 waiting...how otfen would you us a Rap Harness in an XP Party after having Access to that? I know I should swap it in for Dancing Edge, but should I wear if for TP judging from my current Acc?

Second Question: Dagger Upgrades, When? Which?

Third Question: For TA/DE Spike Earrings or Drone Earrings? Sniper's Ring or AGI+3 Ring?

Fourth Question: What are some good DE builds, with relatively easy to find gear for both SA and TA at Level 60?
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-31 19:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Obviously if your ACC is capped (Which it won't be without sushi in parties), you'll want Rapparee.

2) This is where I was lost on THF too. I think Cermet Kukri+1s at 61 or something are pretty good.

3) After 60, AGI does the same for TA as DEX does for SA. Meaning that every 1 AGI you add gives you +1 DMG or about 2-4x as useful as STR, and quite a bit better than Attack.

4) You'd have to check elsewhere for that. I can't say anything about THF gear anymore.
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-01-31 19:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So would you even swap in an AGI+3 ring instead of Rajas for TADE? what about the Sniper's though? would you want the 5Acc, or 3AGI?

Using Squid Sushi +1, how much acc would I need to cap Acc on Lesser Colibri? Sounds like I'd need a lot, more than I have lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-31 19:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Highly dependent on acc but

1) Eat sushi tp in rapparee. Your ws set otherwise would have lower acc generally so yeah switch to SH+1 for that. At least until you can still pull good DE numbers without and get something better for ws... probably wont happen till you get dragon harness though.

2) Generally speaking lvling up mainhand Higher base dmg and offhand something with good dps and/or stats. Later on your DOT will become more important to the point where faster mainhand will really matter but for now yeah.

3) There would need to be math to show which will be better. That being said dex will still beat agi for TADE. Unless you miss alot of hits. If all hits connect dex will be 1.5X more effective than agi. Well actually the difference is even greater under lvl 75. Not to mention it gives acc too. Remember TA agi with assassin is only applied to the first hit on the ws and only after. Also for TADE regardless of lvl assuming you have assassin and all 6 hits connect 1str will do exactly as much as 1.5agi (not counting effects from att from str)

4) Highly dependent on lvl and acc and such try this http://myffxigear.kicks-***.org/
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-31 19:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:

3) After 60, AGI does the same for TA as DEX does for SA. Meaning that every 1 AGI you add gives you 1 DMG or about 2-4x as useful as STR, and quite a bit better than Attack.

Keep in mind that TA only gives the DMG boost to the first hit of a multi hit ws, so for dancing edge (6hits w/ offhand) stacked w/ TA, it takes 4 str to match 6 agi.
6 agi will add 6 DMG to 1 hit, adds 6 DMG total
4 str will add 1 fstr (1 DMG) to all hits, 6 DMG total

4 str will add less if you miss any hits, but more if you DA or Triple attack
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-31 19:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Also get some haste pants. Bravo subligar I think,

Oh and though it wont make a big difference on DE for ws SATA dmg is added after ftp. So even on the first hit its adding less than 1 to base dmg
 Hades.Deadfly
Server: Hades
user: Deadfly
By Hades.Deadfly 2010-01-31 20:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Best bet is just to test how much u hit in exp pties, SH+1 is nice and probabily a better TP piece then Rap harness in exp pties @lv57.

2) As Enternius said, you won't find better daggers then Cermet kukri +1 @ lv63. Not 2 sure about replacing Bone knife +1 til then but keep HNeedle. @ 69+ you get a better selection of daggers ie Blau, Siricco, Harpe Behemoth knife +1... it depends on how much gil you have.

3) Pile on DEX gear for SA VB and AGI for TA VB, acc shdnt really matter till u get DE anyway. When you get dancing edge however would take off Spike necklace and macro in PCC for it seeing as its a multi hit WS.

4) Depends if u plan on solo WS's or using ~SA DE or ~TA DE mass DEX in for SA DE and AGI for TA DE, but if u solo WS w/o them you ideally want a STR / DEX build.
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-01-31 20:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

How's This for TA DE at Lvl 62, what would you change?

Cermet Kukri in Mainhand of course...this Item Set thing is just picky.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-31 20:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Even on TADE 1 dex will beat 1agi even if at least 4 hits connect. And seeing as your first and offhand hit are garunteed as well as any double/triple attack procs that means all you have to do is either have triple attack proc or have double attack proc and at least 1 out of 4 non garunteed hits connect. Or if no double/triple attack have at least 2 of the 4 non-garunteed hits connect.

Well this is at 75. Say 60 when thf naturally gets DE the lvl correct factor hurts less making dex even more potent though not by alot lol.

All this can be easily seen from http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Calculating_Weapon_Skill_Damage. Cept I don't think how it talks about how all hits after the first are 1ftp and don't get SATA mods
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-31 20:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bojack said:
How's This for TA DE at Lvl 62, what would you change?

Cermet Kukri in Mainhand of course...this Item Set thing is just picky.
Voyager sallet. If your acc is still fine spike otherwise still PCC. Change earrings to minuet or Heims and genin. Or if you can the 8agi set earrings. Lightning bow+1 if you don't need to land bolts. Flora cotehardie if/when you don't need the acc from SH+1. Marine boots. Maybe virtuso belt. Upgrade to Sniper+1
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-01-31 20:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Siren.Enternius said:
3) After 60, AGI does the same for TA as DEX does for SA. Meaning that every 1 AGI you add gives you 1 DMG or about 2-4x as useful as STR, and quite a bit better than Attack.
Keep in mind that TA only gives the DMG boost to the first hit of a multi hit ws, so for dancing edge (6hits w/ offhand) stacked w/ TA, it takes 4 str to match 6 agi. 6 agi will add 6 DMG to 1 hit, adds 6 DMG total 4 str will add 1 fstr (1 DMG) to all hits, 6 DMG total 4 str will add less if you miss any hits, but more if you DA or Triple attack
Isn't AGI more like 2 dmg each because of the guaranteed crit at 60? (Will vary based on your actual PDIF of course but generally at least)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-31 20:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

He is right in that 1AGI = 1DMG since AGI is a modifier to base damage which is independent of pdif (which a critical modifies). I think you're reading it literally as "damage" where you are correct in thinking that 1AGI would be more than 1 damage added typically. 1AGI does add the equivalent of 1 weapon DMG though without AF+1 hands.

1AGI TA = 1DEX SA until AF+1 hands, where you get 1.15 worth of AGI per point of DEX in that comparison.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-01-31 20:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I know he doesn't mean it as just raw damage, but I still think he's underestimating how AGI is affecting overall dmg. He's pretty much equating 6 dmg increase to one hit to a 1 dmg increase to 6 hits. However because that 1st hit is a guaranteed crit, that comparison isn't totally accurate.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-31 20:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, are we talking weaponskill? My bad, I thought we were talking about AGI on soloTA. It is complicated to think about THF weaponskills with their TA/SA components typically :( so yeah, I agree with your point. Not that simple!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-31 20:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Isn't AGI more like 2 dmg each because of the guaranteed crit at 60? (Will vary based on your actual PDIF of course but generally at least)
Well technically agi on the first hit (assuming no gorget) adds as much dmg as .84 to base dmg would for stats/fstr since it comes after ftp. Now yes because of the crit that first hit will hit harder making that agi count for more (though will make the str and dex count for more too.)

But for that crit hit to bring that agi to what would be equivalent to 2 base dmg compared to the other hits your non crit pdif would have to be .73.

For max pdif that is a Cratio of .27 for min pdif that is a Cratio of 1.025.

Assuming the mob is say 8 lvls higher that would put the ratio of your attack to the mobs def at .31 to 1.065. The first one is not very likely and the second one kinda is. This doesn't take into account the 0-5% increase after pdif is caluclated btw
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-01-31 21:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot about the fact that DE actually has ftp on it, always think of it as just 5 regular hits.

Not sure really what you're saying with the pdif/cratio stuff, admittedly I'm a little behind on the pdif stuff since they're still working on it but I don't get what you're saying there at all, hehe.

But in the end, even using the .84 and simply assuming the crit adds 1 to pdif.
.84 * 2 * 6 = 10
1.1875 * 2 * 1 + 5 = 7.375
AGI still ahead.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-31 21:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

ah ic nvm
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-01-31 21:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

And also to the OP, since pre DE, your WS essentially sucks balls when not being linked to SATA, using something like hornetneedle, which is mainly for TP gain, is probably not as useful. My personal recommendation would be a corsair's knife for main with bone + 1 offhand.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-31 21:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
I forgot about the fact that DE actually has ftp on it, always think of it as just 5 regular hits.
Not sure really what you're saying with the pdif/cratio stuff, admittedly I'm a little behind on the pdif stuff since they're still working on it but I don't get what you're saying there at all, hehe.
But in the end, even using the .84 and simply assuming the crit adds 1 to pdif.
.84 * 2 * 6 = 10
1.1875 * 2 * 1 + 5 = 7.375
AGI still ahead.
Basically pdif is the final multiplier to dmg. First the game figures out the ratio of your attack to mobs def. Then if necessary caps that. Then it corrects for lvl differences if the mob is higher lvl than you. -.05 per lvl for melee. Then that value (Cratio) is used to figure out where you will fall on the pdif graph which can be expressed as a few equations based on range. There is a min amount pdif can be based on a Cratio and a max. What you actually will get will be somehwere randomly between those 2. Then crit hit will add 1 (to melee anyways) and then a 0-5% increase in dmg is applied to pretty much make sure you wont hit for same amount if you cap pdif and keep getting max pdif

Now as far as that math goes I'd say it would be more like... oh and I'm gunna assume gorget

1 * (pdif+1)= dmg for 1 agi added.

number of hits-1 * .25 *(pdif) +1.2875*.25(pdif+1) = dmg for 1 dex or str added.

If we assume 6 hits land we can figure out at what pdif 1str/dex= 1agi. Higher than that amount dex/str will be better lower agi.

So 5*.25*pdif +1.2875*.25(pdif+1) =(pdif+1)

1.25pdif + .35pdif + .35= pdif +1

1.60pdif +.35= 1pdif + 1

.6pdif= .65

pdif= 1.083

Let's say pdif will fall on average right between max and min... so that would make our Cratio aproximately (no I don't feel like typing out the math for that) 1.1

So lets say we are fighting greater colibri at lvl 82 and 327 def.

That would put our Ratio at 1.1 +.05Xlvl difference = 1.45

Assuming only Dia3 is on the mob it's def will be 278. Which means your attack would be 409. However that's average pdif of hitting with 6 hits. More hits will favor dex/str more. Getting closer to max will. And vice versa.

Math should be right this time.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-01-31 22:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand how pdif and cratio work I just didn't understand what the numbers you were using for your 1st reponse were, hehe.

As for the math, one thing that looks odd, either you hit a wrong button, miscalculated or something, but 1.2875 * .25 = .322~ which is a pretty big percentage difference. Also, considering the original post, I dunno why we're bringing merit lvl stuff like gorgets and dia 3 into the picture. If that were the case, you should include stuff like AF+1 gloves.

But anyways, fixed math.

Fixed ratio:

1.25pdif + .322pdif + .322 = pdif + 1
.572pdif = .678
pdif = 1.185

Fixed ratio w/o gorget (more applicable to the OP):

1.25pdif + .297 pdif + .297 = pdif + 1
.547pdif = .703
pdif = 1.285

Also, one kind of nice thing about adding AGI vs STR/DEX, you don't have to worry about the whole, am I falling on a round number thing, as every single point always has definite value. Even if they come out equal in terms of raw value, it's much safer to add AGI than the other two.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-31 23:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I did merit lvl cause well there is info on def and lvl for those mobs and because numbers are easier to work for stat mods. Specifically lvl correct for 75 is .83 which makes the 30% dex mod really more like .249 pretty much .25 the same as fstr. While at lvl 60 it is .9 lvl correct so more like .27 for the stat mod.

Also another reason for say lolbri is you can figure out the fstrs and such so you don't have that rounding thing and can exactly cap it. Which makes it possible to figure out if the dex will get rounded off. Also that was purely dmg. Can't forget dex adds acc and str adds att. Part of the reason I like stacking dex. I can stack all day long and still keep high acc that and it means less TA specific peices. Either way it sorta depends on a few variables but endgame its damn near 1 to 1 ratio as far as dmg goes. At which point it becomes which can you stack more of on a slot alot of the times.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-02-01 00:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It just seems odd to me to give advice for lvl 60 gear using merit lvl concepts, it just doesn't seem to work very well. Stat mods are at least easy to figure out exactly how much you're getting since they don't rely on enemy stats, but str in particular can be funky to boost.

It's nice to be able to get exact numbers on one mob, but in the end it's only one mob, and unless you merit a TON, you spend the majority of your time fighting things other than g colis. As for secondary effects (acc/atk), atk probably won't do that much unless you're talking a ton of str which isn't really available at well, most lvls, lol. And acc, well, you always have to adjust some, truthfully I've always felt that DE is fairly acc, even giving up some dex/acc. It is TP modded for acc but I don't think there's ever been good testing on it. It seems fairly accurate just from experience but yeah... gut not normally very reliable, lol.

Less gear is ok I guess, but that seems more up to the person whether they want to go to the trouble of added gear to add dmg or not. Not to mention some of the suggestions you made above (heims/minuet over drone, empress -> sallet I could see either way) just seem questionable if you really consider them to be 1 to 1 tradeoffs. If dmg is same anyways, he should just keep whatever he's currently using.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 00:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Really for earrings on TA Wilhelm's Earring Altdorf's Earring. But at least get a Genin Earring. Also I didn't feel like doing the math on att vs agi at that point. He's also at a lvl where acc on DE is a bit of an issue so sacrificing a little dmg on some slots for dex vs agi can let him do stuff like get rid of some acc only peices. flora body is awesome at that lvl if you can manage it
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-02-01 00:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, from what I hear about the drop rate on those two, I dunno if 1 agi is worth all that pain. Genin + drone should be fine. It's fine that you didn't do the math at first, it's just your suggestions were also questionable because you didn't, hence why I brought this up.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 00:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You have no idea. 1/12 on the time spawned one. 1/33 on the lotto. What's really sad is they don't do anything at lvl 59 sync. Even though you can get 7agi on earrings at what 33?
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-02-01 00:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Genin 30, Drone 35 but yeah, still way earlier, lol. I got one of the set lycopodium rings like, 1/11 or something but then got lazy and haven't gotten the other yet, hehe.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 00:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Litterally camped the second one pretty much 24/7 for 5-6 days to get the drop. Well 1 hour nap after each kill and like 5 min nap after each PH kill. But I did it for my rng and got tons of scylds in the process for evoliths
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-02-26 14:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What would increase my TADE dmg more 3AGI? or 5Atk?
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-02-26 14:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

5 attack might be better. 3 agi will increase damage only of the first hit of TADE by 3, 5 attack will increase all hits damage. So chances are 5 attack is better.
 Fenrir.Vacian
Server: Fenrir
user: Vacian
By Fenrir.Vacian 2010-02-26 15:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
And also to the OP, since pre DE, your WS essentially sucks balls when not being linked to SATA, using something like hornetneedle, which is mainly for TP gain, is probably not as useful. My personal recommendation would be a corsair's knife for main with bone 1 offhand.

this^^ double up on cermet kuk+1 and bravos subligar