Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Thf Maat at 66
Thf Maat at 66
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: goose11
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-01-28 02:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So I just got THF to 66 tonight and was looking up strategies for the Maat fight. I went to wiki and one of the strategies says to go in with capped marksmanship and all out racc gear. He said he was able to peg him with sleep bolts np. Then the very next strategy says that is not the case at all, he couldn't hit him with a single bolt to save his life.

I just wanted some advice from anyone that's beaten Maat at 66. Were you able to land bolts at all, did they proc? Or should I attempt to straight up melee him with lots of meds? Normally id find out for myself but stealing the test has been a pain in my ***. Thanks for any answers in advance.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-28 02:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't bother with bolts. Granted I did it at 74-75 but then again his lvl matches yours so it's not too different. Not like I had pimp gear back then lol. I did the standard sleep till 100% then went up to SADE him with the intention of using tpwing for another DE for a skillchain... except he perfect dodged. So I ran. Er fleed till that was up then came back for another DE... meleed at a bit with my own perfect dodge. Think I killed him before I got back to 100% tp.

No stoneskin/blink/phalanx/bolts. Just food sleep pots and a tpwing. Also I'm taru
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-28 02:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say for sure, but I saw a RDM that won using Sleep Arrows. I get the feeling they would proc a lot. He has high spell resistance, but bolts/arrows aren't spells.
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-01-28 03:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

if your going to try @ 66, think you should just go with pretty much the best gear avail for the level, and use the sleep 100% > sa dancing edge > icarus wing > dancing edge strat. also bring a vile elixir or hi elixir. when he perfect dodges > flee, and when your/if your hurting bad enough, perfect dodge and use the elixir and or hipots or w/e. i wouldnt recommend even thinking of relying on bolts @ 66. having the testimony from camping sarabande earring, i randomly did the fight tonight w my pretty decently geared thf. i didnt use food, but w capped marks (no merits) and +83 racc on bolt shots, i missed about 50%.
 Seraph.Corrderio
Server: Seraph
user: Corrderio
By Seraph.Corrderio 2010-01-28 03:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If I were you I'd wait til 68 and get your hands on a Harpe or Hoplites Harpe. This is how I fought him.

Gear:
Harpe/Spartan Hoplan/Bomb Core
Emperor Hairpin/PCC/Diabolos's Earring/Storm Loop
Scorpion Harness/Jaridah Bazubands/Toreador's Ring/Rajas Ring
Amememt +1/Swift Belt/Cobra Subligar/Marine M Boots

Meds and other gear:
10+ Hi Potions
4x Sleep Potions
Blink Band
Icarus Wing
Bream Sushi +1

Strat:
1. Go in and sleep to 100 TP

2. Get behind Maat then toss up Sneak Attack

3. Engage and do Dancing Edge, this should take a good amount of Maat's HP off

4. When Maat throws up Perfect Dodge, run back to the BC entrnace, wait for him to come back, then run back to the circle, by this time your Flee should nearly wear off, as well as Maat's 2H.

5. Standoff against Maat, he hits pretty hard so make sure you're ready to throw up your perfect dodge as soon as your HP is low.

6. Once you throw up perfect dodge, start using your potions and keep attacking him until your TP is 100+.

7. Once you're at 100 TP, use Dancing Edge, use your wing, then use Dancing Edge agian, this should hopefully make him surrender.

THF Maat is pretty simple, however don't take him lightly, he hit me like a fully loaded Semi at 68 and also fairly evasive. I used a Rabbit Pie my first time fighting, my accuracy wasn't so good and the defense didn't seem to help me much. So just go with Bream Sushi and you should be good.
[+]
 Sylph.Jax
Server: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2010-01-28 04:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't you just steal a warp scroll or did that change that?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-28 04:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jax said:
Only if that is your first time fighting maat. Also I've heard lots of horror stories of people failing to steal in full steal gear 60 times in a row. While fighting him is pretty easy
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-01-28 04:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

think its only 25%, if it even still works. and if it fails, it engages him anyway.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-28 04:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jax said:

I tried this when I did thf maat, was my first maat job and i had all the steal gear i could find on but failed anyway, about 4 times lol
 Ragnarok.Faiye
Server: Ragnarok
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-01-28 04:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Maat's lvl caps at 70 Dasva, so if you went in as lvl 75 he would be quite a bit weaker than you.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-28 04:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Faiye said:
Maat's lvl caps at 70 Dasva, so if you went in as lvl 75 he would be quite a bit weaker than you.
Only a couple of lvls. Though might explain why I could almost kill him with only 2 DEs lol. In fact had he not PDd after the first one might have done it with the skillchain dmg. Still doing standard DD fight stuff should make it pretty easy still.