Ballad Problem..

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Ballad Problem..
Ballad Problem..
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-01-22 23:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

When playing Bard, after I cast songs on the Melee then run to Mage and cast Ballad, I sometimes only end up with one Ballad, even after casting both.

It says in the log that I receive the effect of both but I will only have whichever I cast last.. Can tell by looking at my refresh rate- the icons are not just messed up or something.

For example- I'm doing this in Dynamis now:

Melee:
Victory March
Advancing March

RNG:
Minuet IV
Minuet III

Mage:
Ballad II
Ballad I

After I cast the Melee songs and both Ballad I have Minuet and Ballad. If I do Minuet first, I end up with March and Ballad.

--

I've always had my song order as Highest>Lower tier as long as I been playing bard and never noticed any problem. I've tried casting III>IV instead etc. then Ballad I>II but nothing seems to make any difference.. Anyone else having this problem recently or is it just me? ><
 Fairy.Vylandra
Server: Fairy
user: Vylandra1
By Fairy.Vylandra 2010-01-22 23:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless I'm reading what you're saying wrong then it's just that ballad doesn't overwrite Minuet IV. I remember scratching my head really hard when I leveled brd until I noticed that myself.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-22 23:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought it was whatever was casted last on you. Like the overwrite in order
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-22 23:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vylandra said:
Unless I'm reading what you're saying wrong then it's just that ballad doesn't overwrite Minuet IV. I remember scratching my head really hard when I leveled brd until I noticed that myself.

I have never had this problem, try doing ballad 1 then ballad 2 and see what happens. Thats what i do and i never have any problems.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2010-01-22 23:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You have +1 instruments for melee which extends the duration, and the song that has the highest remaining duration will remain, since Ballad has no + it can be the Melee buffs, which will give no effect. And I do Ballad II first every time, but I also never hit mages with melee buffs.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-22 23:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't actually need to read the whole post to know what your issue is, when you have two songs on, and you sing another, it will over-write the one with the shortest time left on it.

So you sing 2 minuets or marches or w/e, using a +2 instrument, which makes their duration 2:20 instead of 2:00. Then you go and sing a ballad without a +2 horn, and it will over-write the first minuet you put on, so now, you have ballad with 2:00 remaining, and one minuet with probably about 2:10 seconds remaining. So when you sing your next ballad, it will overwrite the first ballad instead of the minuet since it is the one that is due to wear off next.

There are 3 ways around this:
Play your songs in a different order
Wait a little while between melee songs and ballad
Get relic horn
 Asura.Jesyvut
Server: Asura
user: Jesyvut
By Asura.Jesyvut 2010-01-22 23:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This has been reported to SE countless times over the past 5 years and they say there is nothing wrong. Song strength (tier) must be measured by level, therefore higher level songs overwrite lower level ones.

Don't look for SE to do anything about it soon.
[+]
 Ramuh.Oroka
Server: Ramuh
user: Oroka
By Ramuh.Oroka 2010-01-22 23:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the problem all the time, I'm not exactly sure how to explain what I think properly but I'll try.

You don't have an instrument with +1-2 for ballad, and I believe that is what makes it not overwrite both melee buffs. I believe when you do minuet/minuet on melee then do ballads immediately after the 2nd ballad overwrites the 1st ballad based on how much longer the song has left to be on you.

edit: I was slow, someone beat me to the punch. :P
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-01-22 23:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I always thought it was whatever was casted last on you. Like the overwrite in order

I don't know anything about how BRD songs work, but that's how COR rolls work. That's why I do my mage buffs first and then my melee buffs, that way both mage rolls are off me and I have a minute or so to have decent buffs.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-22 23:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

I don't know anything about how BRD songs work, but that's how COR rolls work. That's why I do my mage buffs first and then my melee buffs, that way both mage rolls are off me and I have a minute or so to have decent buffs.
Which is the exact reason brd does melee then ballad, so that the brd is left with ballad on.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-22 23:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I don't actually need to read the whole post to know what your issue is, when you have two songs on, and you sing another, it will over-write the one with the shortest time left on it. So you sing 2 minuets or marches or w/e, using a 2 instrument, which makes their duration 2:20 instead of 2:00. Then you go and sing a ballad without a 2 horn, and it will over-write the first minuet you put on, so now, you have ballad with 2:00 remaining, and one minuet with probably about 2:10 seconds remaining. So when you sing your next ballad, it will overwrite the first ballad instead of the minuet since it is the one that is due to wear off next. There are 3 ways around this: Play your songs in a different order Wait a little while between melee songs and ballad Get relic horn

Blazza is 100% correct. /end thread.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2010-01-23 00:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Get relic horn
That's what I did, lol.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2010-01-24 12:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I don't actually need to read the whole post to know what your issue is, when you have two songs on, and you sing another, it will over-write the one with the shortest time left on it.

So you sing 2 minuets or marches or w/e, using a 2 instrument, which makes their duration 2:20 instead of 2:00. Then you go and sing a ballad without a 2 horn, and it will over-write the first minuet you put on, so now, you have ballad with 2:00 remaining, and one minuet with probably about 2:10 seconds remaining. So when you sing your next ballad, it will overwrite the first ballad instead of the minuet since it is the one that is due to wear off next.

Get relic horn

Correct apart from +2's give 2:24 not 2:20.

Depending on your fastcast/songcasting- gear wait anywhere from 12~16 seconds after your last melee buff before doing ballads and that should solve your problem.

In Dynamis I like having a march up to lullaby/finale/elegy awaiting mobs quicker so I do Min>>March>>Ballad1>>Ballad2 w/o waiting between, ending up with March/Ballad2. In a dd pt with rangers Minuet3>>Minuet4 on all followed by V.March on your frontliners then proceed to ballad.
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-01-26 20:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks all!- now I know the problem :D But.. I'm kinda embarrassed now.. Why did I never notice this before? I start thinking this was always happening and I never realized... I hope I just got faster and now it's not 'overwriting' like I was used to ><
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-26 20:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Each party is just a little bit different and can change the way (or timing) you do things just a little bit. Getting yigit or sha'ir body may also speed up your casting just enough to make a difference. As Jimmyjazz says, there's only 12-16 seconds that you have to wait, so there's all sorts of things you could chalk it up to. At least now you know.
 Cerberus.Vaness
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2010-01-26 21:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I noticed the same.But i realised fast it was because of the HQ instruments.But this will only affect you if you didnt hit the mage with your melee songs.If you didnt hit them with minuet they will have the 2 ballads but will only show 1 for you.If you accidently hit them, just wait a few before casting ballad (like a lil 20s).I know waithing in merit pts can be ewwwww, but in a certain way its your job to watch the range and its the mage job to watch his distance as well.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-01-26 21:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Each party is just a little bit different and can change the way (or timing) you do things just a little bit. Getting yigit or sha'ir body may also speed up your casting just enough to make a difference. As Jimmyjazz says, there's only 12-16 seconds that you have to wait, so there's all sorts of things you could chalk it up to. At least now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.