Revamping WHM Cure Gear
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-01-15 11:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking to revamp my WHM Cure gear, atm I use Medicine Ring so I use a set of gear to force my HP into Yellow whenever I need.

As WHM/SCH, I have 1102HP, meaning I need 826HP to hit the Latent. (A total of -276HP).

Current Latent Gear:

Current Cure Gear:

Proposed Cure Gear:

In my proposed Cure Gear, I would have around 1100HP, and be dropped to 782 (approximately) when I hit my Latent gear set.

How well would my proposed setup work in theory? It looks fairly solid on paper to me, but I don't really do all the Math.

In my Current Cure Gear, I C5 for approximately 881HP (without Day/Weather bonuses).

In my Proposed Cure Gear, I would C5 for approximately 902 (without Day/Weather bonuses).

For a loss of 139MP, I would gain approximately 20HP per Cure5. How do the WHM's of Vana'diel feel about this sort of "trade-off"? Is it worth sacrificing the MP for the small boost to potency?
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 11:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
For a loss of 139MP, I would gain approximately 20HP per Cure5. How do the WHM's of Vana'diel feel about this sort of "trade-off"? Is it worth sacrificing the MP for the small boost to potency?
Personally, I don't like that trade. Without doing the math, I think the MP would be more beneficial.

Edit: I'm jealous of your Templar Mace. I want one. (And a k.club)

Edit2: That 139 MP is another Cure V (135 mp). You would have to be able to do 6 cure Vs before running out of MP to make up for the difference. That comes to 834 mp total (not counting any conserve mp you might have or refresh).
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2010-01-15 11:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

o,O no Tamas ring?
I'd recomend Morgana's choker too
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2010-01-15 11:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Personally, I don't like that trade. Without doing the math, I think the MP would be more beneficial.

Edit: I'm jealous of your Templar Mace. I want one. (And a k.club)
I totally Agree
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 11:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I might like to add you also gain -7emnity in your proposed cure set. Also I only see a 119 loss of mp... and seeing as how goliard hat is 20 did you not count that?

Also there is nothing wrong with having a seperate high mp cure set.

Also kinda depends on how often you are at said high mps. Once that mp is gone its gone and that other set is doing nothing for you.

Idk about whm but my rdm rarely stays anywhere near the max if I'm actually doing serious healing.

Hell in the end all that extra mp does for you is allow you to last longer... which means you will be going lower and staying there. In situations where you aren't progressively losing mp much faster than you are gaining it +mp is even more worthless. And it looks like you gain 49 hp for 12 more sublimation too
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-01-15 11:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:
o,O no Tamas ring?
I'd recomend Morgana's choker too

I have Rajas Ring from COP, so Tamas isn't really an option XD
Ramuh.Dasva said:
I might like to add you also gain -7emnity in your proposed cure set. Also I only see a 119 loss of mp... and seeing as how goliard hat is 20 did you not count that?

The MP may be a little off, I used the HP/MP +/- from the Item set to get that number.

Current Cure set gives me: 70HP<>MP and +257MP for a total of +327.
My Proposed set gives me: just +188MP.

I didn't notice the Enmity loss aswell until I'd just rechecked it, always a bit of a bonus XD
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 11:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Your right I forgot blue cape gave convert AND +mp.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-01-15 11:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

If WHM is your only job, then go for it. Personally I don't see the space trade off of having HP down gear for Lv.50 WHM ring. I can put out 820~HP Cure V's without specifically gearing towards max cure potency. Especially with Afflatus: Solace Stoneskin maximum potency is even less of an issue.

If you are really that concerned about the extra 100 HP they'd recover from your Cure V then put a Regen III on them first. The fact that you have an innate auto-regen job trait will make it annoying to continually be in the <75% HP latent area.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 11:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree that it is more work than what it's worth. And in the case of drawing hate, I don't want to start out in the yellow.

Edit: I'm Elvaan as well.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2010-01-15 11:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

my default whm gear:

add 6mp merits, 3 emn down merits.
I switch Noble's for Cure V
Af2 Body for regen
Af2 pants for Bars
Af+1 Gloves when I dont need the haste from the gloves
Lightstaff for repose
Zenith pants for more Mp when I need it

Having HP at yellow has its drawbacks
1) Devotion/Martir wont have the same effect(but they will drop you to yellow HP)
2) Agas will drop you faster
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 11:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if you use spellcast keeping the ring active is a breeze. Plus you can idle in more regen and -pdt for safety issues and such.

As far as cure V goes seeing as it is a static amount of emnity potency on it is pretty cool. Well assuming you are doing long drawn out endgame fights
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-01-15 11:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

ima say the same thing id say about any max mp set up or theory; mp is overrated. having 1300 or some high amount might look nice, but once you have spent that first cure 5, thunder 4, or whatever, its basically useless.
your already doing better than most whms out there actually utilizing convert gear for medicine ring anyway, so dont worry to much about crazy max mp sets. that 139 mp you talk about losing will only ever even look nice for about 2% of the time playing the job, unless you count standing around doing nothing too, but no. the other 98% of the time actually spent playing, youll be relying on mp regens and below any kind of max mp. def focus on potency/efficiency for group settings imo

edit- by focusing on efficiency i mean: fastcast haste potency -enmity magic skills, anything adding to the efficiency of your role wherever in general. you can argue having x mp and being able to cureV six times, instead of x mp and only being able to cureV five times being better, and sure, if you only did that little experiment, it is true. but if you salvage for example, you will never see those kind of advantages. hence my anti mp, pro efficiency stance. im definitely not saying dont have a max mp set, i have them myself. im just saying, dont get swept up in the, having MAX mp is > anything for whm madness.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 12:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I was never talking about a max MP set. I was talking about a balanced / curing set. I STILL want my hp and mp as high as possible for devotion/martyr.

Personally, I currently use 2 sets. Curing and hMP. I want to build a max MP build for initial buffs, but haven't gotten around to it.

My curing set as is:

The only missions I have done to finale is Sandy rank. Once I complete MKE/ASA, I'll add the following to the curing set:

MKE-
Selenian Cap
DEF: 19 MP+20 "Conserve MP"+3
Augments:
MND+4 "Cure" potency +3%
MND+2 Enhances "Fast Cast" effect (+2%)

ASA-
Tatsumaki Sitagoromo
DEF: +31 INT +2 MND +2 CHR +2
Augments:
Cure Potency+5%
MP+25 Enmity-4

This would boost me to 28% cure potency. If you added those to your curing set as well (would boost you to 38% with med ring), that would more than make up for the lower MP.

Edit: My curing set has 1078 HP and 898 MP (2 merits).

Edit2: The two reward pieces above would cost me 5 MP for that 8% cure potency.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 12:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't get to finish my post above before going to the bathroom.

I'm currently camping Dasra's ring / Nasatya's Ring.

That would boost me to 1,128 HP (898 MP still). It would also add -1% physical and magic damage.

Switching to intensifying cape (which I keep forgetting to get) would boost it to 1,143 HP (898 MP still).

There are other pieces of gear I can't currently get, but could boost the MP further without reducing HP or cure potency.
[+]
 Siren.Temeraire
Server: Siren
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-02-02 15:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this is an old thread, but I missed it ~.^

Do you really need 900 hp cure Vs? Maybe its just me but I tend to use mostly cure IIIs on PLDs and Regen IIIs and cure IIIs on everyone else, so I usually just cure in a haste setup to reduce recast time.

I don't really remember the exact numbers since I quit about 7 months ago, but I was pushing 1200 hp with around 900 mp as a Mithra without merits in my basic setups. Since WHMs have Devotion now, I REALLY don't like -hp gear at all, but I don't use medicine ring either.

You guys should do the imp for the ZNM shield. Only need 4 or so people...
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-02 15:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Temeraire said:

Do you really need 900 hp cure Vs? Maybe its just me but I tend to use mostly cure IIIs on PLDs and Regen IIIs and cure IIIs on everyone else, so I usually just cure in a haste setup to reduce recast time.

I don't really remember the exact numbers since I quit about 7 months ago, but I was pushing 1200 hp with around 900 mp as a Mithra without merits in my basic setups. Since WHMs have Devotion now, I REALLY don't like -hp gear at all, but I don't use medicine ring either.

Need? No. Is it nice if you can get it without sacrificing elsewhere? Yes. Besides, it improves your Cure III as well.

With light obi I heal ~860 using Cure V. Without I'm 750+.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-02 15:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Also high Cure Vs are nice for the static amount of emnity.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-02-02 15:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Need? No. Is it nice if you can get it without sacrificing elsewhere? Yes. Besides, it improves your Cure III as well.

With light obi I heal ~860 using Cure V. Without I'm 750 .
Your curing set looks very similar to mine, but I use Ajari Bead Necklace for neck, Prism Cape for back and Penitent's Rope for Waist. I remember being able to do like 820 Cure V's without day bonus. Is the extra 14 MND ~ 70HP on Cure V? Maybe you should upgrade those items?
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-02 15:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:

Your curing set looks very similar to mine, but I use Ajari Bead Necklace for neck, Prism Cape for back and Penitent's Rope for Waist. I remember being able to do like 820 Cure V's without day bonus. Is the extra 14 MND ~ 70HP on Cure V? Maybe you should upgrade those items?
I've seen all three of those items used. It's nice to see some actual numbers with them. I've been debating for a while now.

Edit: looking at the set, it's actually a 16 mnd difference. What race are you?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-02 15:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Temeraire said:

If you need to use Cure V over Cure III or Regen there's a decent chance you want a really big cure rather than a series of big cures marginally faster. If you're having to spam big cures you're either wiping or curebombing a zerg DRK. In the first case you're likely screwed even if you get your recast down from 7 (Haste, Light Arts, 3x Blessed) to 6 seconds (Turban + Loq), in the second it might be worthwhile but I'd bet not given you have other cure spells that do take a couple seconds to cast.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-02 15:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Siren.Temeraire said:

If you need to use Cure V over Cure III or Regen there's a decent chance you want a really big cure rather than a series of big cures marginally faster. If you're having to spam big cures you're either wiping or curebombing a zerg DRK. In the first case you're likely screwed even if you get your recast down from 7 (Haste, Light Arts, 3x Blessed) to 6 seconds (Turban Loq), in the second it might be worthwhile but I'd bet not given you have other cure spells that do take a couple seconds to cast.
The only time Cure V is better than Cure III for me is in Sea while duoing. GF is MNK so she can take the 800 points of damage better than most jobs (still at ~50% without all the hp boosting gear). That lets me rest more often. Not to mention a bigger mini-stoneskin.

Otherwise it comes down to oh ***moments.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-02 15:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

With Light Obi I managed to score 961 C5 with Lightsday but no weather.

I haven't touched my Cure setup since I made this thread, after reading through it all and thinking about it for a bit, I decided it would've been more trouble than it was worth.

Still hitting near 900 without weather/day is sexy =) (Got 880ish earlier without Obi)
[+]
 Siren.Temeraire
Server: Siren
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-02-02 15:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree you should boost your Cure Vs if you can do it without sacrifice, but OP is talking about giving up about 80 mp on Devotion for it, which I don't see as being worth it. Hence why I don't use Medicine Ring or emphasize Cure V setups beyond what MND I can get while staying near the haste cap. I realize Devotion is once every 10-20 minutes, but you don't have time to sit there and gear swap and cure yourself every time you need to use Devotion during a fast paced event.

Cure III improvement from MND is extremely minimal. Reducing recast time seems to work best (I know some prefer -enmity over haste).
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-02-02 15:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly when I play WHM I tend to only use Cure V. I don't want to keep patching up the PLD preventing them from curing themselves to regain lost enmity from taking damage. Only when they start hitting orange do I start casting Cure V. Obviously this isn't on things that can one-shot the tank though.

Playing both ends of the spectrum it sucks having a healer constantly keeping me 100% on PLD so I can never use my MP.

I do use Cure IIIs like to patch up AoE damage and what not, but I favor V's personally.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-02 15:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I tend to heal PLDs with cure III when they're in low-ish yellow range. That usually means even with their highest cure (depends on level, of course) much won't go to waste. I usually end up adjusting my timing based on their play style though.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-02 15:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Temeraire said:
I agree you should boost your Cure Vs if you can do it without sacrifice, but OP is talking about giving up about 80 mp on Devotion for it, which I don't see as being worth it. Hence why I don't use Medicine Ring or emphasize Cure V setups beyond what MND I can get while staying near the haste cap. I realize Devotion is once every 10-20 minutes, but you don't have time to sit there and gear swap and cure yourself every time you need to use Devotion during a fast paced event.

Cure III improvement from MND is extremely minimal. Reducing recast time seems to work best (I know some prefer -enmity over haste).
-enmity is useful for staying below the hate line for as long as possible, especially if hate's iffy. It's not essential, but it's certainly not a bad choice and your tanks will thank you.

80 MP lost on Devotion is just shy of 60% of a Cure V. If we say your Cure V heals for 850, that means you're losing about 510 HP of curing power in that timeframe. So it could come down to whether you gain that much curing power with the full potency setup, but there are a few things to consider:

1) You may be using Devotion on a PLD, which lowers the healing potency of said MP (400 HP Cure 4 for 88 MP leads to 363 HP in theoretical cures lost).

2) MP may be used on something other than cures, which tweaks the numbers a bit and also requires additional measures of value.

3) You may have other gear sets that will lower the eventual potency of Devotion, so the impact will be lessened because the actual loss is only the difference between that set and this one. This is the most significant difference of the three, as it may negate the loss entirely.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-02 15:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Is cure V absolutely necessary usually? No. However it is a good 1hp/mp more efficient. Even more so when using Penury.

And a with its static 400CE 700VE it's nice in the long run for hate.

Let's say you only doing 800 Cure Vs.

800hp worth of other cures would be 581.81 CE ( 45% more) and 3490.09 VE (um like 398% more lol). Or for total you are producing almost 4 times as much emnity. The margin becomes even bigger as you get bigger as you get better cure sets.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-02-02 15:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

In my honest opinion, I love using Intensifying Cape over Blue Cape because I am a Devotion junkie. When I go to an event I am always paired with either a mage (usually redmage) or a Paladin that can really put that Devotion to use, and with max merits they can put it to use every 10 minutes. My setup is focused on +HP and +MP.

I might start out an event using HP to MP rings sometimes but after I use it I typically switch to MND rings and forget to switch em back because its rare that during any event that I'll have time to rest to full. I throw out Devotion and Martyr like a mad woman.
[+]
 Fairy.Lilman
Server: Fairy
user: Lilman
By Fairy.Lilman 2010-02-02 15:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I use for Cure 5, for cure 1/2/3 switch the Bibiki Seashell to Hedgehog bomb.

I'm almost finished w/ this set, just need to get the ASA legs (Cure+5% Potency/3 Haste), Cleric's Belt, and Blessed mitts +1.

This is my Cure 4 set and all of my curaga's, it's at -45 Enmity currently, I'm in the process of capping it at -50, but the items I need are somewhat rare.

I need Benign Necklace(-2 Enmity), Legion Scutum(-2 Enmity), and Blessed Pumps +1(-5 Enmity).

This gives me 913 Cure Vs, 260 Cure 3s, and 506 Cure 4s. On WHM max mp isn't really an issue, it's more of hMP, refresh, and being as efficient as possible with your cures, aka potency.

I'm almost finished w/ this set, just need to get the ASA legs (Cure+5% Potency/3 Haste), Cleric's Belt, and Blessed mitts +1.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-02-02 16:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:

I've seen all three of those items used. It's nice to see some actual numbers with them. I've been debating for a while now.

Edit: looking at the set, it's actually a 16 mnd difference. What race are you?
Hume, also I forgot that I use Zenith Crown so that's another +3 MND and 20 more MP than turban.
First Page 2 3