This might help?

http://www.ffxiah.com/data.php
 Asura.Antion
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Antion985
By Asura.Antion 2009-12-30 14:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It kind of does, I was just wondering like from the views of someone on the server itself, busting a /sea all and seeing under 1000 people is just a sad thing to see.

I wish SE would start condensing some of the smaller servers to make larger sized ones.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-12-30 14:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

No servers are "dead" relative to others. The difference between servers with the most active characters and the least is only about 10%, which is how it's always historically been since the beginning of FFXI.

Concurrent usage is (anecdotally) down about half, though. They could server merge pretty easily, but keep in mind that announcing a server merge is usually considered the death knell of an MMO, and your remaining users start jumping ship even faster once you do.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-12-30 14:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I know back in the day they split Midgard and a few other servers to populate Hades, but I could swear they merged at least one server already in recent history.
 Fairy.Berserkerjr
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Berserkerjr 2009-12-30 15:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

SE needs to find a way to attract ppl, not to try to keep the ones that are currently playing... We all WILL eventually leave the game for w/e reason and merging servers is NOT going to stop that.

I say, raise the lvl cap to 80-85(and some mobs lvl, new zones) and I can 100% guarantee that that will attract ppl PLUS most ppl that left the game will come back. At this point ALL the servers will be @ 3k every second of the day for at least a few months till SE release newer zones suitable for "High endgame" <== :D.

PS: Raising the lvl cap worked for FFXI before so it WILL work this time again. Also, it has worked for EQ and WoW... Just do it SE damn it!.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-30 15:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I really think the game would benefit from a server merge though. It might make some people jump ship, but FFXI is and has been on the decline for some time now. Everyone knows it, too. With in the last couple of months on Garuda I've seen my '/sea all' in the low 900s during NA primetime.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-12-30 16:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Berserkerjr said:
S/E should do a complete, ground-up rebuild of the game's back end to break the existing level caps, add more gear, monsters, and zones. I know they already said that they're not going to do any more large-scale development on FFXI, but they were totally kidding, guys!
Fixed. We could call it World of Final Fantasy, WoF for short.

If it came down to eliminating lower-populated servers I would hope that they wouldn't simply slap 2 or 3 servers together and call it a day, I can see that causing some huge upheavals in both the economy and the community of the various servers. IMO it would be better to pick 3 or 4 of the least populated servers and offer free transfers to any other server aside from Odin or other already-full server.
 Fairy.Usua
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2009-12-30 18:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always wondered why they don't advertise like WoW does.
If they did that they'd get more players.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-12-30 19:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Usua said:

WoW totally made Mr.T uncool. How could this happen? Why WoW? Why did you do this to us?!
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-12-30 19:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Usua said:

WoW has a yearly revenue of ~$1.8 billion.

FF11, uh... doesn't.
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-12-30 19:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sammitch said:
Fairy.Berserkerjr said:
S/E should do a complete, ground-up rebuild of the game's back end to break the existing level caps, add more gear, monsters, and zones. I know they already said that they're not going to do any more large-scale development on FFXI, but they were totally kidding, guys!
Fixed. We could call it World of Final Fantasy, WoF for short.

If it came down to eliminating lower-populated servers I would hope that they wouldn't simply slap 2 or 3 servers together and call it a day, I can see that causing some huge upheavals in both the economy and the community of the various servers. IMO it would be better to pick 3 or 4 of the least populated servers and offer free transfers to any other server aside from Odin or other already-full server.

odin should have been opened 6mos ago its in the same sad state as every other server out there
 Fairy.Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2009-12-30 23:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Fairy.Usua said:

WoW has a yearly revenue of ~$1.8 billion.

FF11, uh... doesn't.
they wouldn't have that income if they never advertised.
 Fairy.Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2009-12-30 23:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sterling said:
Fairy.Usua said:

WoW totally made Mr.T uncool. How could this happen? Why WoW? Why did you do this to us?!
Mr.T was ever cool? 0_o
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-12-31 13:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Usua said:
Mr.T was ever cool? 0_o
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-12-31 13:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Its just WoW and them trying to get celebs to sell there game. The question is"How much did they pay the sucka!" to act a "foo" on the commercial lol; Must be decent seeing how they got Ozzy Osbourne to do it as well and.....
If Tiger woods sponsors keep dropping him from his last incident, We may see him on a WOW commercial near u soon! LOL