users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Noobie BRD question
Noobie BRD question
 Ifrit.Jamesglogan
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Jamesglogan 2009-12-24 13:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

In the begging should I be striving for the most CHR? Food and gear? I think this is BRD's major stat booster for song's but I am not sure and wanted to toss this to the pro BRD's.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-24 13:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The only things CHR is good for are offensive spells. Elegy, Requiem, Lullaby. Looking at your level, the only thing you're likely using at that level is Requiem, which is relatively useless at that level.

I suggest just going full-on MP with /WHM and being a backup healer, or /NIN and EVA/Haste gear to pull. At least until 40, at which point you get Chanter's Staff, the only staff that improves buff songs. Remember, Singing/Wind/String skills are the only things that improve your buff songs, and as such are the most important things to look for pre-endgame.
[+]
 Ifrit.Jamesglogan
By Ifrit.Jamesglogan 2009-12-24 13:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you very much. I am 16 acutally, when I updated today it only picked up my level's to 13 so I have Lullaby now. I just wasn't sure. That' is how I have been playing it so far.
 Hades.Dierdren
Server: Hades
user: Dierdren
By Hades.Dierdren 2009-12-24 13:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

In the beginning you want to have a mixture of def, chr, evasion and MP in your setups due to the nature of BRD. When you go from one side of the party to the other you want to make sure that you'll be able to take the least amount of damage possible (to make it easier on the healers of the party).

If you are wondering what food is good for BRD's I would recommend Royal Tea, Flint Caviar or Tuna Sushi.

I also looked at your gear and at level 14 the Nobles Ribbon is good, might want to swap those rings out for an Astral Ring and an Opal Ring also at level 14 you should be able to wear a Bird Necklace.

Another thing you should also think about is making sure that at every level your Wind, Singing, and String skills are capped. Sing your lil heart out.

If you have any other questions dont' be afraid to ask, I'll be glad to answer.

Ifrit.Jamesglogan
By Ifrit.Jamesglogan 2009-12-24 13:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you very much. I will look into the Bird Whistle right off. I have capped Singing and Wind. I do have to work on String ><. Are there any faster songs that I can use to spam to level up later on? The rings were on when I was solo'n lol. I will work on the other's you suggested. I also have a arensonel of instirments that I am swiching out that give bounses. So far I like the job a lot. Maybe enough to cut up to be 9th wonder of "75" /smile.

Thanks for the advice again.
 Kujata.Erim
Server: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-24 13:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jamesglogan said:
Thank you very much. I will look into the Bird Whistle right off. I have capped Singing and Wind. I do have to work on String ><. Are there any faster songs that I can use to spam to level up later on? The rings were on when I was solo'n lol. I will work on the other's you suggested. I also have a arensonel of instirments that I am swiching out that give bounses. So far I like the job a lot. Maybe enough to cut up to be 9th wonder of "75" /smile.

Thanks for the advice again.

Later in level you get the Etudes which I use to skill up my string, they're quick spells and there is a harp that has +Etude I believe.

String really isn't that important so don't concern yourself with keeping it capped too much, but if you plan on making this job your main, then you may as well right?
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-24 13:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Easiest way to skill up any BRD skill is to go to Sea, and spam Threnody cycles on Ul'Hpemde. They don't aggro unless you actually do damage to them so you can keep spamming Threnodies all day. And casting spells on enemies gives faster skillups than spamming them on yourself.

There's no risk of aggro at low levels unless you run into open areas with Phuabo or Hpemde.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-24 13:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Erim said:
String really isn't that important so don't concern yourself with keeping it capped too much, but if you plan on making this job your main, then you may as well right?

Stringed Instruments can become very important later on to minimise your running about, but during the EXP stages they are generally not really needed.

In Dynamis, Stringed Instruments should be your favourite instrument if you get put in a BLM party to avoid un-needed running around like a nutjob.

They're also helpful anywhere you'll be giving a potentially largely spread group a song.
 Fairy.Vylandra
Server: Fairy
user: Vylandra1
By Fairy.Vylandra 2009-12-24 14:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Kujata.Erim said:

Stringed Instruments can become very important later on to minimise your running about, but during the EXP stages they are generally not really needed.

In Dynamis, Stringed Instruments should be your favourite instrument if you get put in a BLM party to avoid un-needed running around like a nutjob.

They're also helpful anywhere you'll be giving a potentially largely spread group a song.

Also if you get put in the blm party on brd go ahead and grab a gun for when you'll want to shoot yourself fifteen minutes into the run. Also...a brd advice thread that actually gave good brd advice? I'm in shock!