Forum » FFXI » General » Refurbished 360 won't play FFXI disc
Refurbished 360 won't play FFXI disc
 Ramuh.Alphir
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-12-23 14:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got back my Xbox 360 from the RRD service. They sent me a different one than I had and it works great, except it won't play FFXI! My friend also has a refurbed 360 and it won't play on that either. I've tried 3 FFXI discs and none of them will even load. So what's up? I called POL and they said I had to reformat my HDD, which there is no way in hell I'm doing.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Anyone else experience this and have info? I want to get back to playing but I'm stuck for now.

Thanks!
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-12-23 15:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I Don't know. i've not gotten the 1st FF disk on me, it's at a friends, but i need to install FF11 to my 360 (i put it on my brothers befor i bought my own 360) I have a Microsoft Referb' pro? 360 lol...

i'll tell ya what happens when i try to install my copy once i get the FF disk back, ( hopefully After the 1st =] ) unless some one can help you out sooner,

also, I don't know if my Referbished 360 might be any diffrent from yours (im assumeing they would act the same) since mine was bought as a referb and not sent in to be refurbished.. hope i don't gotta format my HDD .. i don't have them mem cards for the 360 .. lol

X.X
 Asura.Hatheron
Server: Asura
user: Hatheron
By Asura.Hatheron 2009-12-23 15:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this isn't helpful, but it's probably my old system. :P
 Fairy.Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-12-23 15:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

XD That would be great, you send your 360 in for a upgrade /to be fixed and they send you an outa-date model. xD

that's like sending your Spiffy GTO in and getting a 1987 beat up handai xD
 Asura.Hatheron
Server: Asura
user: Hatheron
By Asura.Hatheron 2009-12-23 15:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They do that crap with cell phones too. >.<
 Fairy.Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-12-23 15:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

well he did say his friend also has a referb. 360 that's not playing the game.. so the chances that the game's not even installed is quite slim @_@ unless (no offence to OP) they are both quite dim...

=P

but you never know.
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-12-23 15:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I've cleared the cache and that didn't help. Here's what I'm working with... I only sent in the core to be fixed/replaced, I still have my original HDD with FFXI installed and all updates till mid December. I spent an hr on the phone with XBOX and they couldn't figure it out. I called SE POL and they said I have 2 choices, play a media video first so it kickstarts they POL Viewer, which I did and it didn't work.

2nd choice is to reformat the HDD, which I'll need to make a copy of all my files and saves and hope I don't lose anything cuz that would suck nuggets.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm sure I'm not the only person that has had this problem seeing how often xboxs take a ***.

Thanks!
 Fairy.Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-12-23 15:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, i know about that update they did. was kinda interesting hearing about ppl who accidently emptied there cach an had to reinstall everything FF related.

one thing i'm not likeing about the 360 or there microsoft network >.> allthough this is off topic..

is not being able to play anything ive bought / downloaded offline, I.E castel crashers (goes from full ver. to Trial) or Music vid's ***. i got a new 360, had to re-down load Megaman 9 cause when you try to transfer it, it becomes the "Trial" ver.

<.< wants me to re-buy that, heh :P

anyway back on topic.

if Re-installing FF is all thats needed,then thats simple, the countless hours of re-aquireing the patches how ever @.@''

hope that the "new" referbished systems won't play FF >.> Cause main reasion i got my 360 was for FF11 (And 13 And 14 if /when it comes to 360) <.<; i just gotta get internets at my house asap XD
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-12-23 15:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a rumor I see going around a lot that is something like...

"Connect an iPod/zune/music player to your 360 and play the music from your dashboard, then reset your 360 and see if it works.

If not, burn your CD onto your 360, then play it. Reset and try again."

It's worked for a few people, and if you're SOL, it's worth a try.
 Fairy.Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-12-23 15:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

its best to have your 360 laying down, helps to prevent laser burns, and if your disk is runned because of it, you can't get a new one from Microsoft cause it's against there policy if the systems standing up right

<.< found this out not to long ago, when my friend's 360 tilted alil and Cut his copy of Dragon age really deep all around,

ironic, they have a Game stand for the 360 that has it standing up. i don't get it :P

---
 Ramuh.Zeroenna
By Ramuh.Zeroenna 2009-12-23 16:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

i've had this happen to a friend of mine also. got RROD on xbox sent just core console in and he got a different xbox back a few weeks later. tried to just pop in his HDD and disk to play and he wan't able to get the disk to read. he ended up having to do a full reinstall of FFXI and that fixed his problem.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-23 16:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84550

?
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2009-12-23 17:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Whenever you download stuff to your xbox, it has a license that is connected to what you DL it to and from what console it was DL'd from.

If any of this doesn't match up, it tends to not work. This is to prevent someone from downloading paid content on his xbox and then downloading it for all his friends on their xboxs. Essentially getting the stuff for free.

Now if you have a legit reason to redownload stuff and want to use it offline, then you have to go to: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

That should reset all your licenses, which will make it act like you are downloading it for the first time.

As for your ffxi problem, my friend had to send his xbox off due to the rrd and got his ffxi to work without any problem. He did the license reset and completely reinstalled ffxi though.
 Fairy.Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-12-23 17:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah the licence thing makes sence, but i downloaded the megaman game orginaly to my friends 360 under my gamer tag. and when i uploaded my GT to my new 360., it let me DL my stuff like Castel crashers and other game add on's i have bought, but it wanted me to re-buy MM9 doesn't say "Re-down load" =P and the main reasion the game goes to trial when im offline, i think is cause it has "leader bords" =]

but ill try this' thank you =D
 Kujata.Matricide
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Matricide 2009-12-23 17:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Had the same issue. had to completely wipe hard drive. only way it worked for me. sorry for the bad news.
 Fairy.Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-12-23 18:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

well this Licence transfer thing seems to work, how ever, it's still saying i never downloaded Megaman 9 oh well (sigh) ^^ no biggy

to OP: hope you manage to save your saved data, if it's save'd game info. you can get a memory card to Transfer it on to befor wipeing your HD. if its downloadable content your conserned about you can just re-download it, unless you have the issue im haveing with this arcade game lol
 Odin.Kalico
Server: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2009-12-23 18:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sucks for u bro just reformat that ***if
you really wanna play FFXI.
 Fairy.Usua
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2009-12-23 18:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Blackmist said:
I Don't know. i've not gotten the 1st FF disk on me, it's at a friends, but i need to install FF11 to my 360 (i put it on my brothers befor i bought my own 360) I have a Microsoft Referb' pro? 360 lol...

i'll tell ya what happens when i try to install my copy once i get the FF disk back, ( hopefully After the 1st =] ) unless some one can help you out sooner,

also, I don't know if my Referbished 360 might be any diffrent from yours (im assumeing they would act the same) since mine was bought as a referb and not sent in to be refurbished.. hope i don't gotta format my HDD .. i don't have them mem cards for the 360 .. lol

X.X
I'm pretty sure they reformat refurbished ones in the store to remove any personal data on it. My old 360 was refurbished before I bought it and FFXI worked on it fine, until it finally got red ringed.
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-12-24 10:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a good thing I have an extra HDD! Plugged it in and it worked perfect. The problem with the old one was corrupted data. From the many freezes FFXI had on my 360 it had corrupted my HDD. Ya know the blue screen that comes up after a freeze saying "game was not shut down properly, may have corrupted data" ***.

It cost me $30 for a memory card to xfer my game saves to the new HDD, which technically I didn't have to do. I just needed to use the old HDD if I wanted to play a previous game, but oh well it's only $30. It was either that, or buy a new PS2 and FFXI to play on that system... didn't feel like the effort.

So to anyone that gets a 360 back from RRD service and FFXI don't play, this should be extremely helpful. Thanks everyone for your input.

I love this game but g'damn I hate it on Xbox! See ya'll soon.
 Fenrir.Ktjrn
Server: Fenrir
user: Ktjrn
By Fenrir.Ktjrn 2009-12-24 10:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

i have a refurbished 360 and it works fine for me. sounds like perhaps you may have a bad disk. have you tried reformatting the disk reader in the machine or take it back to where you purchased it at? i'm sure the place of purchase may swap it for you
 Valefor.Tarl
Server: Valefor
user: TarlCabot
By Valefor.Tarl 2009-12-25 01:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

My 360 froze in besieged a few months ago & I got the unable to read disc error after trying to start it back up. It's not the 360 or the disc, your hard drive is corrupted as far as FFXI & POL is concerned all your other memory is unaffected by it like other games & profiles & stuff. When you do not shut down or log out correctly your hard drive will not read the disc anymore,something during the freeze or incorrect shutdown will corrupt it. I found this out by turning off the xbox & taking the hard drive out now you are able to get to the POL start screen, so it's not 360 or disc. This is what I did, I have the 120 gig hard drive, I transfered all my data to it a long time ago so this left me with my old 20 gig hard drive as a spare which I use for FFXI now only. Reformat the hard drive, this will wipe all memory, I copied my gamertag profile from my 120 gig to a memory card so I don't have to recover profile everytime I swap out hard drives. Then I reinstalled POL & FFXI again >.<. This was the only way I could find to get back on the game with the xbox. I lost my macros & over a 100 pics from the game. If you take this route & remake your macros save to the server on the character select screen push in left stick & left bumper to save & right stick & bumper to load (make sure I don't have that backwards just in case lol) I learned the hard way & save new macros often. Sorry this is long winded but hope it helps, this is the only way I could find, SE & XBOX help by phone or web were no help, I think it was an xbox update that may have tweeked something, but not sure.
 Bahamut.Maswan
Server: Bahamut
user: Maswan
By Bahamut.Maswan 2009-12-25 16:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Answer is simple, you need to install the ffxi disk to your 360's hdd after the dashboard update ages ago, it stopped working unless the disk is installed onto the hdd^^
 Valefor.Tarl
Server: Valefor
user: TarlCabot
By Valefor.Tarl 2009-12-25 23:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You can no longer install disk to the harddrive anymore.