Best Way To Get Started With WotG?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Best way to get started with WotG?
Best way to get started with WotG?
 Lakshmi.Kyne
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Kyne
By Lakshmi.Kyne 2009-12-22 19:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't done anything with WotG, but I know you have to align yourself with a nation in the past to get things started. I've tried to get places in the past, but it seems impossible to get to a nation from the starting cavernous maws around Jeuno. Any tips on the best way to get to Windurst in the past for a person just starting out with WotG? I'm a noob in this area, so be easy.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-12-22 20:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

To get to windy,

Sauromugue Champaign (S)

Then get to;

Meriphataud Mountains (S)

Then go into;

Fort Karugo-Narugo (S)

Then exit into;

West Sarutabaruta (S)

Where you can get into Windy,

Keep Sneak and Invis up at all times, only thing that I can see along the way that is True aggro is Poroggo Gent with True Hearing, and I don't think you go near them otw to windy. Hope that helps.
 Asura.Obsydian
Server: Asura
user: Obsydian
By Asura.Obsydian 2009-12-22 20:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well since you're a WHM, you shouldn't have too hard of a time making it from the starting maws to Windurst {S}, thanks to Sneak/Invis. The toughest part about running around in the past is just trying to navigate the new areas like Grauberg and Fort Karugo-Narugo without a map, not to mention parts of old maps that are blocked off or barricaded.

What I did for myself was reference the wiki's database of maps and just "/p <pos>" very so often to make sure I was on the right track to the next zone. (The wiki's also helpful in letting you know what new mobs are aggressive and to what.) If you happen to be unable to check the wiki at the same time you're playing, maybe make some printouts beforehand of the maps and use those instead.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-22 20:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I would also suggest doing the quest for the Fort map if you can't search for Wiki's maps while online.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/The_Weekly_Adventurer

REALLY easy quest too.
By Beouvle 2009-12-22 20:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I just stared WotG as well :)

Is there any disernable motive for choosing one nation over another? Does it even really matter?

And, why can't we just use chocobo's in the "past". It's not like they were extinct or something right? (Well, i could see how your chocobo necklace wouldn't work, but...)

Hades.Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-22 20:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go with the nation that has the gear you'd want personally. You'd save on AN that way. Other than that, there's no real difference I can tell between nations in the past.
By semimmortal 2009-12-22 20:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Beouvle said:
Hey, I just stared WotG as well :)

Is there any disernable motive for choosing one nation over another? Does it even really matter?

And, why can't we just use chocobo's in the "past". It's not like they were extinct or something right? (Well, i could see how your chocobo necklace wouldn't work, but...)
Just like the present day, it won't make a huge difference other than the item purchased with Allied notes (same as Conquest points as in the cost of other nation's items would be higher). Here are the list of items you can purchase with AN:
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Allied_Notes
As for Chocobo, I've yet to raise one, so I can't answer that yet. Though you could use the rental ones. Plus they look way cooler than the present ones lol.
 Lakshmi.Kyne
By Lakshmi.Kyne 2009-12-22 20:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks guys! I didn't realize it would be so difficult just to get to a starting nation O.o
By Beouvle 2009-12-22 20:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish I could look, at work now though :)

I've unlocked both jobs, but that's about it. It seems alot of pt's are in area's now.

I quit around the time Aht Urghan was new, so.. are there any new Whitegate's nowaday? Some huge city in the past where everyone's hanging out? Cause I've been in Whitegate and Jueno trying to telewhore for some dough, but it's unreal the lack of /shouts....
 Hades.Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-22 20:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, Whitegate is still a popular place, far as I can see.
By Beouvle 2009-12-22 20:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, well than I guess my Telewhoring days are coming to a close..

I like the new look of the old area's though, very good idea by SE's part.
 Lakshmi.Kyne
By Lakshmi.Kyne 2009-12-22 22:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Rumaha said:
To get to windy,

Sauromugue Champaign (S)

Then get to;

Meriphataud Mountains (S)

Then go into;

Fort Karugo-Narugo (S)

Then exit into;

West Sarutabaruta (S)

Where you can get into Windy,

Keep Sneak and Invis up at all times, only thing that I can see along the way that is True aggro is Poroggo Gent with True Hearing, and I don't think you go near them otw to windy. Hope that helps.

Thanks Rumaha! I got to Windy {S} no problems!

/Edit

I'd like to add to those who are reading this also that a key item is necessary to align yourself with a nation. Also, I found this wiki page very helpful:
Wings of the Goddess Missions