Enfeebling Magic question
First Page 2
 Hades.Hatekhaos
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-12-21 21:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, I was wondering what is the relation between INT and Enfeebling Magic if any?
Is it wise to get an Arrestor Mantle for Enfeebling magic +2 or continue to use a prism cape. I am working on getting Avocat Pigaches.
Currently for Enfeeble I have it fully meritted, Warlock's Tabard, Enfeebling Torque, Enfeebling Earring.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-21 21:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

INT is supposed to help. However nobody have run extensive tests to established a decent relation between int and black magic enfeebling skill.

I would keep Skill+2 over INT+4 I think.

What I do is favoring skill above stats, and if there's no decent piece of equip with +skill on it (or no +skill/macc at all for this slot), then I use INT.
[+]
 Hades.Hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-12-21 21:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks- my int is pretty high as is something like 77+56 so loosing 4 for 2 in enfeebling may or may not be a bad idea. But its something I will have to play around with.
Thanks for the info
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-21 21:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if there's a difference, you would need thousands trials before noticing it between skill+2 and int+4.

Even between int+4 and nothing or skill+2 and nothing. The difference is just too small to be "felt" by anyone, and even running tests would takes a shitload of time. (unless like 50+ mages unites and perfom 100 trials each I guess :d)
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-12-21 21:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont quite agree with Antipika on this one, I wouldnt opt for 2 enfeeb skill over 5 int/mnd cape for a rdm or 4 int/mnd even. But I would want 2 builds one for potency one for minimal resists.

I found with hume blm anyway I can just feel shorter durations overall for bind and grav since using sturms report over tathlum. Not that you asked about macc and int but just thought id bring that to light. For blm id full time goliard clogs if you think a blm needs advocat you should probably have a rdm enfeebing a mob which is usually only hnm where a blm would resist to consider advocat.

Im not really rdm main more of a blm main with 75 rdm and decent understanding of it, as for int and enfeeb skill for rdm ive been told that not only is errant body better than af for like maxing potency on para for mobs you dont need he enfeeb skill but errant also beats af body where youre trying to reach a certain level of int vs the mob, such as gravity on kirin.

For rdm and back pieces only ones id be interested in would be 5 int einherjar cape for nuking and max proc enfeeb, 5 mnd einherjar cape for cure/buff/proc enfeeb, prism if not those 2, merciful/alt capes, umbra and invigorating, nothing else worth it imo... well i guess errant useful too.
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-12-21 22:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you say youd need to do 1000s of tests for this but with 310ish enfeeb 14ish macc but only 77+30ish int i swear i felt my bind duration overall drop slightly when changing bind macro from tathlum to sturm report.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-21 22:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't go with durations of bind/gravity as indicative of anything. If anything I'd say skill is more important but that's eyeballing and experience. I can say however that after testing duration of enfeebling spells that things like grav/bind are way too random. Para seemed well not set but most of them were similar against low lvl mobs. But yeah as a lvl 75 rdm with like 330ish skill against lvl 1 mobs the only thing consistent about the durations was none of them were that close to each other. Some lasted minutes some lasted a few seconds. This was with several mobs with ES and not. Like even the ES test were way way different. So it would be rediculously hard to test how much each effects duration.
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
Server: Pandemonium
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-12-21 23:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

With how MAcc, Skill, and INT have been tested to work with Elemental magic, and that things seem to work the same for Enfeebling... there's really little point to the +2 skill piece over 4 INT. 2 Skill should be equal to 2 MAcc, but the 4 INT will be 2 or 4 MAcc depending on dINT. So you'd really gain nothing, and possibly get less out of it on high INT mobs.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-12-22 03:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

As most other things this stuff is situational. At some point in your skill level it isn't going to matter how high it is and you'd probably get more use out of INT/MND gear. Seeing as how you have capped enfeebling magic, af body, and enf earring/torque you probably aren't going to get resisted on very many things outside of high level HNMs. Combine those gears with wind/ice/earth acc and you are not going to get resisted very much.
If nothing else just have two sets. One for skill and one for int/mnd. I guess that's three sets, though.
I'd take a pass on the Avocat pigaches and try to get Goliard Clogs. They aren't terribly difficult to obtain and are probably the best overall shoes for RDM.
I'm not familiar with that cape, but in my opinion from your point of view I would use the Prism cape. At some point skill just stops being useful, but ind/mnd will generally always be helpful.

Again, situational. If you're getting resisted pop on more skill gear. If not, stick with INT/MND.
 Hades.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-12-22 03:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

+4 INT would at best give +4 macc, at worst +2, so just keep Prism.
On INT based enfeebs INT does nothing for potency as far as I know, (maybe for blind? but lol.) but MND sure as hell does for MND based ones.
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
Server: Pandemonium
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-12-22 08:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Kvazz said:
4 INT would at best give 4 macc, at worst 2, so just keep Prism.
On INT based enfeebs INT does nothing for potency as far as I know, (maybe for blind? but lol.) but MND sure as hell does for MND based ones.

INT helps Blind, but it takes so little to max out the effect that it's basically a moot point.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-22 09:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

From some tests I saw before on BG, MND increases the potency of White Magic enfeebling spells. INT increases the potency of Black Magic enfeebling. I don't think it was shown that either increase the magic accuracy. If you are concerned about landing the spells put Enfeebling Magic Skill + whereever you can and then Magic Accuracy everywhere else. In a slot where you cannot put either fill with INT for Black Magic; MND for White Magic.
[+]
 Asura.Hatheron
Server: Asura
user: Hatheron
By Asura.Hatheron 2009-12-22 09:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I have had some confusion over Enfeebling Skill vs INT. I'm a 75 SCH with decent gear, but I'm beginning to consider alternatives for specific slots.

Currently, I do not gear swap my Phantom Tathlum, Morion Earring or Moldavite Earring mainly because I don't have any macro slots left. These pieces are more for Dark Arts spells, but I've been considering alternatives.

Primarily, I'm considering Sturm's Report to replace my Phantom Tathlum. Granted, INT +2 is really going to help my DMG output, but I'm considering Sturm's Report since the MAcc will help for all my spells, not just Nuke and Black Magic enfeebles. Thoughts?

Elemental Set
Dark Set
Enfeebling Set
Healing Set
Enhancing Set
hMP Set
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-22 10:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

In a perfect world everyone would have enough macro lines for all equipment swaps. As a long time BLM player, I don't think I could play as well as I do with all the proper gear swaps without windower's macros. If you play on PC and on a mage job I would strongly suggest you look into windower for its macros or for spellcast which is a little more automatic.

If you cannot play on PC, maybe you should look into the "/macro set" command to expand your macros to another pallet for additional lines. This will require you to hit the same macro button multiple times (for each additional macro pallet you include), but you could potentially have unlimited macro lines per macro on PS2/xbox.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-22 10:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hatheron said:
I have had some confusion over Enfeebling Skill vs INT. I'm a 75 SCH with decent gear, but I'm beginning to consider alternatives for specific slots.

Currently, I do not gear swap my Phantom Tathlum, Morion Earring or Moldavite Earring mainly because I don't have any macro slots left. These pieces are more for Dark Arts spells, but I've been considering alternatives.

Primarily, I'm considering Sturm's Report to replace my Phantom Tathlum. Granted, INT 2 is really going to help my DMG output, but I'm considering Sturm's Report since the MAcc will help for all my spells, not just Nuke and Black Magic enfeebles. Thoughts? Elemental Set Dark Set Enfeebling Set Healing Set Enhancing Set hMP Set
Sorta depends on what your fighting and merits and what you are doing.

For elemental assuming you are merited that is way more than enough skill for most things outside of resistant NMs/HNMs. In fact while it wont completely floor your resist rates it would get close on alot/most if your int was higher. Which is another thing until your int is more than 10 more than the mobs 1 int will give 1 macc so needs more int.
Goliard feet would be a big help. HQ on the pants or get ASA ones. Relic pants. Gleemans cape or if you can manage altrustic I think whatever the sea one is with 5skill. Get another snow ring. Probably yigit or Vmufflers or goliard for hands depending on your macc. There dmg for T4 should be pretty close. Hat fine though MKE or relic might be nice. Ugg pendant for under 50%. Might want to consider getting the 5macc/mab earring set. Should be the best you'll get for earrings for nukes and enfeebles till you get novio. I'd keep the Phamtom. Also focus more on int then MAB on helixes

Enfeebling... again goliard feet. Legs mahat or ASA. Relic or Prope. Altrustic cape or gleeman. Relic hands or golaird. Balrahns ring and/or omega. Get enfeebling torque. Same with the earrings as before. Maybe sturms report. And HQ that staff.

As far as dark thats easy just get as much enhance darkarts +dark skill gear then haste/fast cast. Healing depends on what you do but yeah load up on mnd cure potency conserve mp and -emnity. On longer fights where you find yourself pulling hate eventually you might throw more -emnity in.

Enhancing should be broken up. For phalanx all skill conserve mp and -emnity. Stoneskin enough mnd to get it capped with your skill then -emnity and conserve mp. All others -emnity and conserve mp.

Hmp whatever gets you the most lol.
[+]
 Asura.Hatheron
Server: Asura
user: Hatheron
By Asura.Hatheron 2009-12-22 10:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, I do use the "/macro set" command to change my gear. My typical spell cast looks something like this.

First Macro
Gear
Gear
Gear
Gear
Gear
Dark Arts

Second MAcro
Gear
Gear
Gear
Gear
Gear
/macro set 6

Third Macro
/ma "Thunder IV" <t>
Gear
Gear
Gear
Gear
/macro set 1

Repeat.

So for every spell. EVERY spell. I have to hit at least three macros. I'd prefer it not be so. QQ
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-22 10:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
In a perfect world everyone would have enough macro lines for all equipment swaps. As a long time BLM player, I don't think I could play as well as I do with all the proper gear swaps without windower's macros. If you play on PC and on a mage job I would strongly suggest you look into windower for its macros or for spellcast which is a little more automatic.
It is hard let me tell you that. Alot of my maccros serve double duty. All my nukes maccros are full. As is my enfeebling and burn and maybe stoneskin. I full time a sorc ring lol. I manually do things like ugg and sorc pants and obis. What makes that really bad is mahat pants is in my nuke maccros. Still I manage barely without sacrficing anything that is and without having to use more than 1 maccro for any spell.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-22 10:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
It is hard let me tell you that. Alot of my maccros serve double duty. All my nukes maccros are full. As is my enfeebling and burn and maybe stoneskin. I full time a sorc ring lol. I manually do things like ugg and sorc pants and obis. What makes that really bad is mahat pants is in my nuke maccros. Still I manage barely without sacrficing anything that is and without having to use more than 1 maccro for any spell.
For instance my hMP gear, I equip full yigit, pluto's staff, that campaign hMP grip, hedgehog bomb (more max mp for stoneskin/blink after full rest), beak necklace +1, relaxing earring, antivenom earring, serket ring, ether ring, qiqirn sash +1... that is way more than a single macro. I don't know how you could rest MP with only 6 lines >.>

And I don't even have a backpiece yet...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-22 10:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you see I full time or used to full time magnetic so thats 1. I do pluto (10) errant (5). Sash same (3). Oracle hands/legs for another 2 each. Then Goliard for another (3). Then I manaully do the the campaign one for 27. I count same for you but you get refresh which is effectively 3 more. My normal hmp gear puts me way above my nuking mp so yeah no need to add mp for buffs
 Hades.Hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-12-22 15:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you guys so much for the information. Good information from everyone.
I will definitely be working my way towards the rare ex gear for rdm in the near future.
/bow
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-22 16:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Isiolia said:
With how MAcc, Skill, and INT have been tested to work with Elemental magic, and that things seem to work the same for Enfeebling... there's really little point to the 2 skill piece over 4 INT. 2 Skill should be equal to 2 MAcc, but the 4 INT will be 2 or 4 MAcc depending on dINT. So you'd really gain nothing, and possibly get less out of it on high INT mobs.

Never ever been proved that dINT had anything to do with enfeebling magic based on INT.

It does for nukes, but have no proof regarding Enfeebling really. Not that safe to extrapolate that.
 Quetzalcoatl.Pchan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: pchan
By Quetzalcoatl.Pchan 2009-12-23 17:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:
Pandemonium.Isiolia said:
With how MAcc, Skill, and INT have been tested to work with Elemental magic, and that things seem to work the same for Enfeebling... there's really little point to the 2 skill piece over 4 INT. 2 Skill should be equal to 2 MAcc, but the 4 INT will be 2 or 4 MAcc depending on dINT. So you'd really gain nothing, and possibly get less out of it on high INT mobs.

Never ever been proved that dINT had anything to do with enfeebling magic based on INT.

It does for nukes, but have no proof regarding Enfeebling really. Not that safe to extrapolate that.

Yes there are some test, you can go on the wiki, download the spread sheet found on the magic accuracy page and check the first page where Pluto's Staff is being compared to Alkalurops with sleep 1. The test shows about equal hit rate meaning the INT/mac relation works for sleep. No reason to assume they don't work for what you call "INT based enfeebling". But then again, you got to define what is an "INT based enfeebling spell". So what is it, if not a spell whose magic accuracy is controlled by INT ?

Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-23 18:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Pchan said:
Yes there are some test, you can go on the wiki, download the spread sheet found on the magic accuracy page and check the first page where Pluto's Staff is being compared to Alkalurops with sleep 1.

We are talking about INT and only INT here, how does that apply to Alka vs Pluto's ? Too many variable between both of these staves, doesn't prove anything. Also please do not redirect anyone to wiki I mean, we all read that stuff already.
Quote:
The test shows about equal hit rate meaning the INT/mac relation works for sleep. No reason to assume they don't work for what you call "INT based enfeebling". ?

As I said, can take a shitty mob, cast gravity on it. Take a mob with a higher INT (therefore your dINT is lower) cast gravity on it. See the results...
Quote:
But then again, you got to define what is an "INT based enfeebling spell". So what is it, if not a spell whose magic accuracy is controlled by INT ?

I do believe that INT affect these spells (dunno if the dINT affects it tho), but still my belief != proof and extended testing.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-23 23:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't compare sleep with spells that don't have fixed duration. And good luck actually testing those spells lol for anything more than full resist or not
 Ramuh.Lucried
user: Lucried
By Ramuh.Lucried 2009-12-24 01:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

well bud if your skill is around 320ish i wouldnt touch worry about adding more skill really unless your fighting resistant hnm's on a regular basis. but a few thoughts on a select few slots id personally use goliard feet over any skill+ in that slot if not for the stats then the macc, gol/morri hands are good for the same purpose. not sure if your looking to land spells or max durrations but with just these 2 slots allows you to keep stats in other slots such as the back. myself i dont worry about putting skill in a slot unless its +5 or more. as for the back slot keep prism cape imo if not for int then for mind for spells such as paralyse.
 Quetzalcoatl.Pchan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: pchan
By Quetzalcoatl.Pchan 2009-12-27 13:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:

We are talking about INT and only INT here, how does that apply to Alka vs Pluto's ? Too many variable between both of these staves, doesn't prove anything. Also please do not redirect anyone to wiki I mean, we all read that stuff already.

Alkalurops has 10 INT on it, the test clearly shows that 10 INT= 10 accuracy under the conditions of the test (dint low). You clearly need reading skills.
Quote:
As I said, can take a shitty mob, cast gravity on it. Take a mob with a higher INT (therefore your dINT is lower) cast gravity on it. See the results...

Very, very bad way to test anything ; you are introducing new random variables in your test like level difference, family difference which will not allow you to conlcude anything. I mean an imp doesn't resist sleep the same way as a level 1 bunny...

Quote:
I do believe that INT affect these spells (dunno if the dINT affects it tho), but still my belief != proof and extended testing.

I just think you don't know what you mean by INT spell and magic accuracy in general.

[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-27 13:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Pchan said:
Garuda.Antipika said:
Alkalurops has 10 INT on it, the test clearly shows that 10 INT= 10 accuracy under the conditions of the test (dint low). You clearly need reading skills.
Alkarops also has 20macc. And Pluto staff has an amount of macc that ranges slightly. If you really wanted to test the effects of int properly and weren't afraid the answer would say otherwise you'd compare casting between exact same gear except 1 having more int.
Quetzalcoatl.Pchan said:
Quote:
Very, very bad way to test anything ; you are introducing new random variables in your test like level difference, family difference which will not allow you to conlcude anything. I mean an imp doesn't resist sleep the same way as a level 1 bunny...
Actually not that bad. The whole point of the lvl difference was to get an int difference. But guess what I can tell you in full macc/skill then int gear vs all int vs nekkid my durations on gravity and bind all of them were all over the place on lvl 0 mobs. Not only that but even the ES ones were too.
Quetzalcoatl.Pchan said:
Quote:
I just think you don't know what you mean by INT spell and magic accuracy in general.

And just what do you mean by them?
 Fairy.Brenda
user: Jornna
By Fairy.Brenda 2009-12-27 13:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Alkalurops has 20 macc on it which is around what a pluto gives or maybe a little less so I think thats what hes getting at.

A better test would be Kirin pole vs Plutoss and test it on BLM. Or better yet, a Mythic wand +1 if you want to test it on RDM.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-27 13:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Pchan said:

Family difference ? Who said to take monsters from different family ? Well you did for sure, not I as far I know. Same goes for level ? Shitty doesn't mean low level you know.

You're the one mixing factors here, bring Alka vs Pluto's into this which is a complete mess.
Quote:
Alkalurops has 10 INT on it, the test clearly shows that 10 INT= 10 accuracy under the conditions of the test (dint low).

Clearly ? No it doesn't.

"some evidence suggests that Alkalurops may be comparable to HQ elemental staves in terms of effective magic accuracy"

I don't see anything "clear" here. Way not enough data on this. As for dINT tests conducted by Lodeguy, the skill range he used was way to low for being relevant ITT.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-27 13:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

HQ staffs give more than 20macc more like 30. Not to mention there is int 2 int on it too only putting the int difference between them at 8. So even assuming 10int~10macc for that range pluto would still win.

Also referencing a spreedsheet that you have to download and says I can't without pay lol ftl
First Page 2