Those are for itemSETS, not items. :)
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-18 14:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically I TP with range accuracy/Ratk and then weaponskill in STR/RAtk?

How do you even cap out anything?

How does rapid shot work and what pieces give that?
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-18 14:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I see your RNG is only 63.

Would like to point something out now that you'll find in the future.

Ranged accuracy becomes staggeringly useless at higher levels before HNMs.

In merit parties, RNG (Assuming capped merits and a torque) has 372 accuracy. With no gear.

Add in +3 AGI and +2 R.ACC on E Bow, and +5 R.ACC on arrows, that's a total of 380 ACC.

Then, if you're using Blood Finger Gauntlets and Scout's Belt, that's 401 ACC. You need 405 to cap. And that's JUST using given gear you'll be using for R. Attack anyway.

R.ACC is useful for stuff like Kirin, etc of course, but nothing AF body, relic legs, and two ACC+12 rings can't fix.

Tl:dr (again): Not counting R.Attack gear that just happens to have R.Accuracy on it, you only really need +4 ACC in gear to cap in merit parties.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-18 14:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You cap ranged acc in the same way you cap melee acc. The FFXICalculator has a section for Ranged Accuracy as well if you know the mob's level / evasion.

And, the Str will help your attacks 'as well as' the Ranged atk once you've capped acc.

And like we said before, Rapid Shot / Snapshot are great b/c they fire instantly and reduce delay.

Rapid Shot items: Hunter's Beret / Htr. Beret +1 and Scout's Jerkin / Sct. Jerkin +1.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-18 14:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I see, yea I'm about 600 tnl 64 XD

But I like to research the jobs I'm leveling when I get to 75.

That's interesting to know. Thanks.

Does it also cap out of what weapon you have in main hand?

Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-18 14:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

No matter what, Snapshot gear will always beat Rapid Shot gear.

That said, Snapshot pieces are few and far between: Zha'Go's Barbut and ACP body, and that's it.

Sure the ToAU RNG ring has it in Assault, and Gastraphetes has it too but eh.

Btw, if you get ACP body for RNG, R.Attack+10 and Snapshot+5 will beat any other augments, and for that matter any other body you can use on RNG.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-18 14:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:

That said, Snapshot pieces are few and far between: Zha'Go's Barbut and ACP body, and that's it.

Btw, if you get ACP body for RNG, R.Attack 10 and Snapshot 5 will beat any other augments, and for that matter any other body you can use on RNG.
You can get Snapshot on the head from MKD as well.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-18 14:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
I see, yea I'm about 600 tnl 64 XD

But I like to research the jobs I'm leveling when I get to 75.

That's interesting to know. Thanks.

Does it also cap out of what weapon you have in main hand?
Should be using Fire Staff, Vulcan's Staff, or Mekki Shakki with Axe Grip and /WAR or /SAM, but yes, if you really need to use R.ACC weapons, two Trailer's Kukris will be enough to cap R.ACC with no other gear in merit parties.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-18 14:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Tbest said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Btw, if you get ACP body for RNG, R.Attack 10 and Snapshot 5 will beat any other augments, and for that matter any other body you can use on RNG.
You can get Snapshot on the head from MKD as well.
Right, but Zha'Go's Barbut is the far superior option.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-18 14:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't got any of my mini-expansion pieces. I didn't know what job to really use them on. So the ACP body for rng is best?
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-18 14:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
I haven't got any of my mini-expansion pieces. I didn't know what job to really use them on. So the ACP body for rng is best?
I don't know if I'd say "best". Your Monk will benefit from the ACP body unless you have Shura +1.
Siren.Enternius said:
Right, but Zha'Go's Barbut is the far superior option.
And, while the Barbut is superior, it's also harder to get if you don't have a good group for the SCNM. I didn't say she "should" get the Snapshot aug, just that she "could" get it.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-18 14:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
I have 9 jobs at 75, and about 7 more jobs I've been considering taking to 75. So trust me when I say this: RNG ACP body will do far more than any other augment for any other job in the game.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-18 14:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I have Kirin's Osode, I always use that for my monk and I see ppl use it for RNG. Is that also a WS piece for rng?
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-18 14:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The Mirke is pretty nice with Snapshot +5 and Ranged Attack +10 though since you likely won't need the acc on it.
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Well I have Kirin's Osode, I always use that for my monk and I see ppl use it for RNG. Is that also a WS piece for rng?
You TP in osode? O.oa
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-18 14:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Osode is second best TP body for RNG, and best WS body. That's counting ACP with R.Attack+10 Snapshot+5
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-18 14:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya I don't have a tp body for my monk :( just Osode.

So I guess I can do the mini expansion for a rng body.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-18 14:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Ya I don't have a tp body for my monk :( just Osode.

So I guess I can do the mini expansion for a rng body.
SH is better than Osode for TPing on MNK.

Unless you're killing like EPs or something.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-18 14:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So when I WS for RNG, the rings should be STR? or the RAcc? I have the 2 behemoth rings for later in my mh. And for the earrings, use the agi ones or is there better?
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-18 14:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well... It's all situational. I'd first check the level and evasion of the mobs you're going after and plan gear and food around that. Rule #1, know your enemy.

Once you know whether or not you're capped acc, then you can start switching out acc for str/r.atk.

Flame and Triumph rings are great of course once you cap acc, but for me, tbh... I'd rather go acc on the rings and use ranged attack food. Food like, Coeurl Sub, Yellow Curry, Red Curry, Bison Steak, and Hedgehog Pie.

For the ears, I personally like Fenrir's Earring at night for TP and then generally either a Str or Acc earring like Bushi/Triumph/Vision depending on the mob.
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
Server: Carbuncle
user: goose11
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2009-12-18 14:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
So when I WS for RNG, the rings should be STR? or the RAcc? I have the 2 behemoth rings for later in my mh. And for the earrings, use the agi ones or is there better?
You could camp the new NMs for the rng set earrings. Together they give 8 agi and 1 racc/ratt. Triumph earrings are better but at a steep price. This is for bow, they might be better for marksmanship ws's but I havent looked into marksmanship much. And the rings all depends on your acc, swap as needed like any DD.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-18 14:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I do want to camp those new nm's for those earrings, I figured they would be best for the racc +1 each and the AGI +8.

Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2009-12-18 14:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Caitlin said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
You could camp the new NMs for the rng set earrings. Together they give 8 agi and 1 racc/ratt. Triumph earrings are better but at a steep price. This is for bow, they might be better for marksmanship ws's but I havent looked into marksmanship much. And the rings all depends on your acc, swap as needed like any DD.

Just thought I'd expand on this, along with Vegetto's post
The reason for stacking so much str gear on ranger (regardless of sidewinder/slug shot) isn't because of sidewinder's 16% str mod, or slug's lack of a str mod, it's all due to fSTR2. This is what pumps ranger ws's up so much. This outweighs secondary modifiers to the point they're almost negligible (in the case of slug)

For example, stacking agi for slug is much less beneficial than stacking str, even though it has no str mod. fSTR2 is in the part of the weaponskill equation added directly to base damage, so by adding str, fSTR2 will add roughly 1 base damage for every 2-3 points of str.

tl;dr
STR is good for both slug and sidewinder, sidewinder just gets a slight advantage
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-12-18 14:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

2 Triumph Earrings.

4 STR > 8 AGI.

Also, Daimos's post is spot on. Exactly what I tell people who ask me why I use two Triumph Earrings over the AGI earrings on COR. Ultimately STR will always produce far higher results and create higher caps, whereas AGI will only work as a modified % on the total my STR makes.

They're expensive, but then so is everything that pimps a RNG out. Osode is pretty much the best body piece you'll get for your buck if you buy it; the fact you already have means you should use it, and probably worry about ACP body on another job that will get a more marginal benefit over it's competitor.
 Shiva.Demiomega
user: Demiomega
By Shiva.Demiomega 2009-12-18 15:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

How come nobody has mentioned Ebon visor yet... even the starts on it now are decent and im sure there is more to come through synergy.

Ebon Visor
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-18 15:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Demiomega said:
How come nobody has mentioned Ebon visor yet... even the starts on it now are decent and im sure there is more to come through synergy.

Ebon Visor
Yeah, you could get some pretty nice vs. family augs on it or something... But, it's so new/rare/unknown atm that it's left off the list until it can be confirmed as uber.
 Siren.Kuz
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-12-18 15:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
I have 9 jobs at 75, and about 7 more jobs I've been considering taking to 75. So trust me when I say this: RNG ACP body will do far more than any other augment for any other job in the game.

That's a rather bold statement...
 Shiva.Demiomega
user: Demiomega
By Shiva.Demiomega 2009-12-18 15:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Still better then
Fairy.Tbest said:
Shiva.Demiomega said:

Ebon Visor
Yeah, you could get some pretty nice vs. family augs on it or something... But, it's so new/rare/unknown atm that it's left off the list until it can be confirmed as uber.

still better then TP in wyvern helm or scouts beret i would assume
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
Server: Carbuncle
user: goose11
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2009-12-18 15:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Demiomega said:
Still better then
Fairy.Tbest said:
Shiva.Demiomega said:

Ebon Visor

still better then TP in wyvern helm or scouts beret i would assume
I've been waiting to see something pop up about how to get those too. Atm I use snapshot/racc/ratt MKD helm and would love to be able to switch it to str/wsacc. Ppl say I should've just done str/wsacc from the start but I love snapshot too much lol.
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-18 20:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if I'd go as far to say it's a 50:50 split on str v. ratk for tping in. from my understanding rng's actual pDif range is pretty low before food/buffs, if I could get any actual numbers on rng's ratk value at different ranges I could narrow it down a bit for ya.