WAR TANK?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » WAR TANK?
WAR TANK?
 Siren.Pantmonkey
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2009-11-27 12:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You know AF came out when PLD did? In the expansion which opened up the higher lvl caps. Before PLD we were capped @ 50, so the AF didnt really affect it. I beleive, SE gave WAR emnity on relic so those who geared as a tank, cud hit 75 w/o many problems but its obvious war excels at DD, and PLD at tanking just due to wut thier given.

But on WAR, i have an osheet macro, and i can take the hits rather well, with joyuese on main hand, shield on second, i can spam WS's nicely also, just depends wut ur trying to do.

Also: I dont think a WAR can tank anything a PLD can, get 2x WAR/NIN to tank omega or more to the point ultima, and come back to me on that :D

<3 WAR.
 Cerberus.Eanae
Server: Cerberus
user: Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2009-11-27 12:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

We've had a war/nin main tank Khimaira. War can definitely tank HNM and endgame mobs, it's just simply inefficient to do so. :p
[+]
 Valefor.Stubbie
Server: Valefor
user: Stubbie
By Valefor.Stubbie 2009-12-08 17:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen war/whm and pld/war split tank tiamat back in the day of AA rotation, WAR/ANYTHING CAN tank, it just isn't the ideal choice, i lol at sword/shield wars pre-37 though ... axe/shield u nubz!
 Leviathan.Solare
Server: Leviathan
user: Solare
By Leviathan.Solare 2009-12-08 17:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Stubbie said:
I've seen war/whm and pld/war split tank tiamat back in the day of AA rotation, WAR/ANYTHING CAN tank, it just isn't the ideal choice, i lol at sword/shield wars pre-37 though ... axe/shield u nubz!

I lol at sword/shield and axe/shield. Graxe u nubz.
[+]
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-12-08 17:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

if you are blood tanking using a shield is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ?
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-12-08 17:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Smurfo said:
if you are blood tanking using a shield is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ?

No, I think he meant Blood tanking is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-12-08 17:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe so but i was referencing to lower lvls like dunes and flower killing party wars in which case war is a blood tank most of the time
 Pandemonium.Julto
Server: Pandemonium
user: Julto
By Pandemonium.Julto 2009-12-08 18:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I've tanked Fafnir as WAR/SAM while our LS's -two- PLD/NINs were weakend. That was some fun blood tanking.
 Seraph.Helixx
Server: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-12-08 18:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

For "Better Tank" question. I've tanked MNK/war in meripo's. Now meripo =/= whole game.

PLD and NIN/drk can generate more hate and have more hate generating moves than other possible tanking jobs.

PLD -> Natural high def, Cures, Hate JA's.
NIN/drk -> 4+3 instead of 3+3 shadows. 2nd highest eva. Ninjutsu enfeebles, Easy to reach -40% PDT.

Problem with MNK and WAR tanks is that you don't produce damage when you tank. Those 2 jobs live on producing hate to tank. Contradiction.

YES WAR CAN TANK,
Should you let a WAR straight tank KB, Nidhogg, AV, PW, Cerberus, ETC (HLNM'S) : NO, loose hate and risk a Flail, ga3 on mages, fail.
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-08 20:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

prety much any job /nin can tank any merit level mob, but it looks like this discussion is for HNM level mobs.

tank jobs (pld/nin, nin/drk, rdm/nin, blu/nin, drk/nin) are usually going to hold hate better in long fights because of their ability to generate cumulative enmity (CE) with tools that can reliably be spammed. (CE is only reduced through taking damage or, to a much lesser extent, the loss of shadows due to enemy attack)

war isn't always going to be a viable main tank for big NMs because they need to rely on their ability to generate good amounts of physical damage to secure hate. this isn't always possible because the the amount of CE generated by damage on such enemies is usually far less than can be generated by a 'tank job's' spamable abilities. sure provoke and warcry help a lot with the right gear, but in the end most other jobs will catch up in total hate eventually and in some cases this can be very dangerous.

I'm not saying war can't be a good tank, they are probably one of the better ones for zerg style fights. what I am saying is that a 'tank job' is normally the safer route for drawn out fights.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-08 20:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR is a good overall tank, pre-75. Of course PLD was designed to be a brick wall with a sword while WAR is more like Bruce Lee with his nunchucks.
[+]
 Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt
By Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt 2009-12-08 21:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to think outta the box is fun but this is sorta like riding a horse through town when everyone else is driving a car. Sure people will look but you look like a jackass.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-12-08 22:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Stubbie said:

1. Lol @ Buttersheep

2. If only SE didn't have WAR start off with a crappy sword *Cough* Onion Sword *Cough* and gave them an Axe or GAxe <.<
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-08 22:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

eh, I dunno what to tell you if you think the difference in xp/lp is only 500/hr, and that 13000/hr is good. average these days is ~21000/hr, capping at close to ~28,000 only in very ideal situations.

if you really want fast xp, go work on building a good MMM tablet and set up a few runs with some friends. I can't remember what the cap was, but it's insanely high with the right maze setup for several runs.

things are done certain ways for a reason, it works with the least complications. sure a smn or blm can main cure, a pld or rdm can deal damage, a this can do that or a that can do this and so-on and so-forth, but when it comes down to it the other job that's built for a certain task is normally going to get it done with greater ease and that's why it's used on a normal basis.

from my experience as blu I can tell you that there's always a job that can get something done with more ease if you want to take on another role. can the other job always do it better? no, but does it take less effort and planing? most of the time.
 Carbuncle.Gilder
Server: Carbuncle
user: dewzedo
By Carbuncle.Gilder 2009-12-08 23:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Warrior is the ideal tank for Nyzul Isle, merit parties, and can even be the main caller for Einherjar. I would say Dynamis too but unless your LS can take down MNKs fast your war would be screwed lol. I dont think I could see a WAR tanking on HNM... PLD just has better tools to keep hate.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Amalle
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tamalle
By Ragnarok.Amalle 2009-12-08 23:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

When I started playing on Oct 24th 2003 I chose WAR, and to this day it is and shall remain my most loved job.

Without a doubt, there isn't a lot that WAR can't tank. Now with that being said, before you rate my comment down, I never said how effectively or for how long. That't the thing to remember with a WAR tank, for one, they're not self- sufficient, secondly they don't have the evasion, parrying, or shield skills other jobs that are tank classes do.

On the plus side there are things that WAR tanks can do, for one a WAR can out voke any PLD or NIN. A WAR has the capability of stacking on more Enmity than most other jobs. Just look at our AF for 1 example. Secondly we can wear most everything a PLD can. IE: Koenig, Askar, etc. etc. Secondly a WAR can use their WS to keep hate. Throw on WS gear and let a rampage fly followed by an enmity macroe w/ Provoke and hate is yours.

All that being said, no good tank is a good tank if the mage behind them isn't willing or capable to keep that tank alive and fighting. The end.

necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [158 days between previous and next post]
By Pongratz 2010-05-16 03:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Solare said:
Valefor.Stubbie said:

I lol at sword/shield and axe/shield. Graxe u nubz.
I remember leveling warrior back in those days with sword/shield 1-40 with a defense build, though I cannot believe I actually did that. I'm now more educated in the art of the warrior thank goodness with DA and GA. The reason why I went that far with a sword and shield because nobody ever gave me advice on WAR. I'm not the best WAR but I am the most awesomest WAR now.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-05-16 03:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR is the only true tank because its the only job with Provoke. And you can gear it to take less damage.

/flame on
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-05-16 03:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

sword & shield? wtf

great axe and /mnk can tank up to lv 40ish Well I did anyway back in the day lol

voke, boost, boost cant get hate off me.... Counter with Great Axe is hot.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-05-16 03:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The only way i can see war tanking HNM if SE fix retiliation so that your spells are, say 80% un-interruptable. Other than that blood tanking is very sad, throw some RDM/BLU or WHM/NIN with some DDs to SATA them is less laughable.
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-16 04:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
WAR is the only true tank because its the only job with Provoke. And you can gear it to take less damage.

/flame on
/facepalm
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [285 days between previous and next post]
By Seegs 2011-02-25 12:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Could a WAR still tank good since we are 90 now ?
[+]
 Unicorn.Hkbpimpdaddy
user: Seegs
By Unicorn.Hkbpimpdaddy 2011-02-25 12:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

yea since they added Shield Mastery Shield Defense Bonus go right on ahead lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-02-25 12:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong with WAR tanking in Abyssea. You can ramp up your HP quite high with Atma and Cruor buffs ... and since a decently-geared Abyssea WHM with near-bottomless MP can cure 2500 HP every 8 seconds or so ... yeah WAR can tank.

I doubt WAR will be a very good endgame tank @ 99, presuming level 90-->99 endgame content will not be Abyssea-based. But for now, yeah, no reason a WAR can't tank.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-25 13:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just keep using your Great Axe and dish out all the dmg you can and you'll tank just fine :p
 Bahamut.Zoltar
Server: Bahamut
user: Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-02-25 13:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What about WAR tanking with Vicissitude/MountedChampion/DucalGuard?

Think a WAR could keep enough hate regardless of sub w/ no RR/GH/SS?

Just curious...
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-02-25 13:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR could tank most things pre-Abyssea, it just didn't have the same safety nets that PLD and NIN did. Now, it can blood tank most things with its embossed HP, but I'd work on a PDT and MDT set.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-25 13:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zoltar said:
What about WAR tanking with Vicissitude/MountedChampion/DucalGuard?

Think a WAR could keep enough hate regardless of sub w/ no RR/GH/SS?

Just curious...

Use DD atmas and just play like you'd play any other DD tank.
PDT/MDT sets when needed, full out dmg when you can.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zoltar
Server: Bahamut
user: Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-02-25 13:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

THF and MNK tanking pretty much makes nobody want WAR tanking anyway, mostly bc of TH

Though I look forward to partying outside of Abyssea and KCNMs. WAR will be handy for those