Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-01 11:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

No one is on asura by choice.

They're on asura by lack of choice.

You come because you need. You leave once you have.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-02-01 11:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
RadialArcana said: »
XI has no instanced content

Yeah no instance content, Dyna D, Sortie, Odyssey, Omen and HTBF just dont exist.

Since Radial was responding to my comment about the shift from open-world HNMs and lottery spawn fights being a massive part of the content, to a more 'instanced' environment of battlefields/arenas and the content you mention, I'll pass this on:

sometimes its best to know when one is falling back on semantics as their hill to die on, and move along. Dude was technically correct, as pointed out- but did it help continue a discussion or just derail it?

The point stops being what's discussed, and the argument becomes the purpose of the back-and-forth, not real discourse.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-02-01 12:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with limited "instanced" zones for parties to use, most players on smaller servers would agree that if you merged two of the least populated servers together there still wouldn't be a problem with wait times. That's how few people are doing this content on an average week. The only time it may become an issue would be the first week of Ambuscade, but only if it's an easy month that people can take advantage of. Trust me on this, everywhere else would be fine. No one would wait an extra second on Omen or Dyna-D. I know that Cerberus had no issues with Shinryu... it was mostly an Asura problem. It would hurt Sortie, but SE are fixing that this month, so it probably wouldn't (if SE do a good enough job).

It's just an excuse at this point that people throw out based on their experiences on the largest servers. I understand how it would 100% be a detriment to merge any others into servers like Asura or Odin right now. That would be a dumb move and SE would rightly come under fire. The only thing other than server transfers that potentially holds SE back, are Japanese populations on small servers, which may be inflated compared to other populations.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-01 12:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

They could merge the bottom 4-6 servers and see literally no congestion. It's a pointless argument.

Going to *** either way. The louder bitchers are anti-merge.
(And again, server jumping profit means it will likely never happen regardless)
((Until the population becomes so low and/or it would free up server cost/space enough to be financially correct to do so))
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-02-01 13:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This past summer on Leviathan I farmed all the abyssea items for an empyrean weapon during a campaign, and in all the time I spent I never saw another person in the zone with me, not just talking competition for the same NMs.

As I and others commented, those who enjoy their small servers talk anti-merger because they don't want to be dumped into a populous server and have their "home" essentially erased by joining the dreaded Asura et al, but merging those smaller ones with like-minded people could be quite beneficial to QoL.
[+]
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-02-01 13:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
As I and others commented, those who enjoy their small servers talk anti-merger because they don't want to be dumped into a populous server and have their "home" essentially erased by joining the dreaded Asura et al, but merging those smaller ones with like-minded people could be quite beneficial to QoL.

I've toyed with the idea of server xferring just to finish a few REMAs uncontested. I just recently made a mule on Bismarck (I'm a Seraph refugee) to see if any old friends are still on there. Found a guy that used to be in my sky shell, haven't talked to him in 12 years until yesterday.

With that said, Bismarck felt absolutely dead compared to Asura. For all it's fault, and Asura has plenty, the game at least feels alive, like an MMO. I can't say the same for Bismarck or any other low pop server.

But some, like yourself, might like that. More power to you.
By RadialArcana 2023-02-01 13:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Some act like swapping server is like moving house, all you lose from the swap is your LS. I used to do it all the time when I was making emps or got sick of long waits to enter stuff.

Like 3 days and you can swap back.
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-02-01 14:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Some act like swapping server is like moving house, all you lose from the swap is your LS. I used to do it all the time when I was making emps or got sick of long waits to enter stuff.

Like 3 days and you can swap back.

Did they change server xfer cooldown? I don't know why I have 60-90 says stuck in my head...
 Asura.Kyaaadaaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Asura.Kyaaadaaa 2023-02-01 15:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »
I just recently made a mule on Bismarck (I'm a Seraph refugee)

Ah, a fellow Seraphim. Well met!
[+]
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-02-01 15:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kyaaadaaa said: »
I just recently made a mule on Bismarck (I'm a Seraph refugee)

Ah, a fellow Seraphim. Well met!

Nice! Was your name the same/similar back on Seraph?
By Dodik 2023-02-01 16:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems that most people in favour of server merges are on Asura. Funny, that.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-02-01 16:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Serjero said: »
Odin.Senaki said: »
I’d advise staying on Asura. People from Odin who have went over there have been telling me how much better it is.

I mean if I moved to Asura I'd be lying through my teeth to convince myself it was actually a good idea too.

What’s best for one person isn’t necessarily best for the other.

For me:
•Too busy IRL to join a static.
•Reliant only on pugs.
•Often, cannot fill pugs.
•Wastes 1hr+ unable to form.
•Leaving me frustrated / annoyed.

My friends have gone to Asura, and tell me that don’t have this issue.

So for **ME** this is the best option.

I don’t see how I’m lying.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2023-02-01 19:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

it saddens me to hear my server might have gone downhill since my departure. We were the highest pop server for a while there. First to be locked out for new players iir. - Still hoping things calm down enough so i can return, but its sad to hear things like this...
By Draylo 2023-02-01 19:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It happens when SE doesn't fund this game like it should. Also when the community fractures itself after each era creates a new set of jaded players. If only we were United like some other older MMOs, instead you have tons that actively hate retail and persuade others away from it to go to dinky private servers. Most of that doesn't matter tho, what matters is SE giving funding to the game. If we had some real expansion a lot of people would have came back already but the anniversary event was a complete fail.

Have you tried our lord and savior asura server? Board the Noah's ark.
 Asura.Kyaaadaaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Asura.Kyaaadaaa 2023-02-01 20:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much, only minus one A. Had to add it when they did the merger.
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-02-01 22:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kyaaadaaa said: »

Pretty much, only minus one A. Had to add it when they did the merger.

Heh, I was Raytheon back on Seraph, not sure if you remember me, I was a petulant child *** back then, now I'm just an *** on Asura.
[+]
By Serjero 2023-02-01 22:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I’d advise staying on Asura. People from Odin who have went over there have been telling me how much better it is.

I mean if I moved to Asura I'd be lying through my teeth to convince myself it was actually a good idea too.

For me:
•Reliant only on pugs.

In no way was I implying you were lying. Need to recheck your reading comprehension. I was referring to all the people who left saying the grass is greener. Fun fact, it's not. Congratulations you'll be able to fill pugs with some of the most below average players than what you even get on Odin. I guess actually being able to do stuff sounds better even if it's terrible than not being able to do stuff at all. Also it's much easier to get into JP groups than people think it is, but it is true that they will pretty much never join a NA shout.
[+]
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-02-01 23:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

For me:
•Reliant only on pugs.

In no way was I implying you were lying. Need to recheck your reading comprehension. I was referring to all the people who left saying the grass is greener. Fun fact, it's not. Congratulations you'll be able to fill pugs with some of the most below average players than what you even get on Odin. I guess actually being able to do stuff sounds better even if it's terrible than not being able to do stuff at all. Also it's much easier to get into JP groups than people think it is, but it is true that they will pretty much never join a NA shout.

But how do you KNOW it's not? Have you come to Asura and found out for yourself?
By Serjero 2023-02-02 00:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a while since I last had a character on Asura but I've definitely had one over there to do some shopping for stuff that's even hard on Odin to get (Spheres mostly). But I definitely engaged in trying to do things like Ambu/Omen/Dyna/CP and a little bit of Ody and it was one of the most miserable experiences. People with good gear that didn't know how to play their job, people that couldn't do simple mechanics, multi-boxers who had 0 clue what they were doing or automated literally every function of their chars and still managed to fail. There were a couple of decent groups but less than the number of mediocre to terrible ones. The mercs were at least some what competent I guess since it was cheaper and less troublesome to get a couple of random drops that I was just too lazy to get myself so there's that I suppose. Granted all this was done on support jobs so my contribution was somewhat limited so if you can find even a half-competent PUG support and can play tank or DD it might not be so bad.

I suppose that could be true on a lot of servers since I don't really do PUG life on Odin or if I do it's generally with players I know are at least somewhat competent and maybe given enough time on Asura you could filter through all the chaff and make some connections and be in a good spot, but you can do that on every server it might just be harder to break into groups on lower populations servers. However, the experience as someone from the outside coming in with no connections was pretty underwhelming. But Asura is the Little Ceasers of PUGs. It's hot and it's ready. Is it good? It's hot and it's ready.
[+]
By Minaras84 2023-02-02 01:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a while since I last had a character on Asura but I've definitely had one over there to do some shopping for stuff that's even hard on Odin to get (Spheres mostly). But I definitely engaged in trying to do things like Ambu/Omen/Dyna/CP and a little bit of Ody and it was one of the most miserable experiences. People with good gear that didn't know how to play their job, people that couldn't do simple mechanics, multi-boxers who had 0 clue what they were doing or automated literally every function of their chars and still managed to fail. There were a couple of decent groups but less than the number of mediocre to terrible ones. The mercs were at least some what competent I guess since it was cheaper and less troublesome to get a couple of random drops that I was just too lazy to get myself so there's that I suppose. Granted all this was done on support jobs so my contribution was somewhat limited so if you can find even a half-competent PUG support and can play tank or DD it might not be so bad.

I suppose that could be true on a lot of servers since I don't really do PUG life on Odin or if I do it's generally with players I know are at least somewhat competent and maybe given enough time on Asura you could filter through all the chaff and make some connections and be in a good spot, but you can do that on every server it might just be harder to break into groups on lower populations servers. However, the experience as someone from the outside coming in with no connections was pretty underwhelming. But Asura is the Little Ceasers of PUGs. It's hot and it's ready. Is it good? It's hot and it's ready.

Mate, its all about expectations really.
Unfortunately those who pug, havent got much experience, thats the mindset you gotta start with.
Then its up to you ( and to them) wanting to lead/learn/work together.
The vast majority of pugs dissolve after the first fail, leaving inexperienced ppl....stil inexperienced, and "veterans" frustrated.
Id say that Asura at least gives you the chance to try, other servers don't.
Truth is that all of the KIs available every x hours need to "be consumed" only after a victory.
This alone would revive the entire shout/yell community, because ppl would keep trying.
And it is such an easy fix that im surprised SE hasnt done it yet.
[+]
By Seun 2023-02-02 01:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Minaras84 said: »
Truth is that all of the KIs available every x hours need to "be consumed" only after a victory. This alone would revive the entire shout/yell community, because ppl would keep trying. And it is such an easy fix that im surprised SE hasnt done it yet.

If you considered a boss kill a victory, players would just fight up to Ou and leave/wipe to farm astrals all day. RIP queue times.

Players would skip clicking the final conflux in Sheol C and just spam segs all day, again clogging up the queues.

I'm pretty sure these measures are in place to stop players from abuse.
[+]
 Odin.Tasukaru
user: Jikoshy
By Odin.Tasukaru 2023-02-02 04:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ngl I’m debating going myself. Odin’s static’s are effectively full already too.

If we're thinking the same people, the honeymoon effect hasnt worn off yet. Give it a few months, they'll see its just as Serjero said.

Or not, who knows. More shouts and higher population density obviously mean better players per capita. Thats if they can find them. Either way, again assuming we're talking the same people recently, They can all stay there.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-02-02 05:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Minaras84 said: »
Truth is that all of the KIs available every x hours need to "be consumed" only after a victory.

That would make way too much sense to actually implement.

And is that not what Ambu already does?
By Dodik 2023-02-02 05:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tasukaru said: »
Either way, again assuming we're talking the same people recently, They can all stay there.

And here is why most people on small servers both stay away from Asura, and do not want merges. "Queue times", sure.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-02-02 05:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
Odin.Tasukaru said: »
Either way, again assuming we're talking the same people recently, They can all stay there.

And here is why most people on small servers both stay away from Asura, and do not want merges. "Queue times", sure.

I rather be stuck in a line with other people than staring at the wall alone.

But that’s just my preference.
 Odin.Tasukaru
By Odin.Tasukaru 2023-02-02 05:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I rather be stuck in a line with other people than staring at the wall alone.

But that’s just my preference.

Nothing wrong with that, but as people pointed out, the grass isnt always greener.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-02-02 05:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I played WoW classic on one of the most populated servers, and loved it.

For me, I rather have the people.

I know some people prefer smaller servers, which is fine. But it would be a fallacy to assume everyone wants the fewer population.
 Odin.Tasukaru
By Odin.Tasukaru 2023-02-02 05:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I played WoW classic on one of the most populated servers, and loved it.

For me, I rather have the people.

I know some people prefer smaller servers, which is fine. But it would be a fallacy to assume everyone wants the fewer population.

But of course, I totally get it, and not saying anything bad either way, I just hope you have fun in your game :)
[+]