Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » I created a FFXI NFT
I created a FFXI NFT
 Ragnarok.Essoix
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ess
By Ragnarok.Essoix 2021-11-12 07:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I'm bored. Check it out add a like or not.
I'm tempted to create some nice playing card versions. Or I could just log back in game.

https://opensea.io/collection/treasures-of-vanadiel

<3
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-11-12 07:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

we live in the dumbest timeline
[+]
 Ragnarok.Essoix
By Ragnarok.Essoix 2021-11-12 07:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeap, a picture of an ape sold for 4Million USD today.
[+]
 Asura.Suteru
Server: Asura
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2021-11-12 07:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Essoix said: »
Yeap, a picture of an ape sold for 4Million USD today.

"""sold"""
 Ragnarok.Essoix
By Ragnarok.Essoix 2021-11-12 07:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

my mistake, it sold for 1.5M and is now selling for 4M

here's transaction

https://etherscan.io/tx/0x3fd23f939a512e8de3444fe5d441e3a60c9c5c6d277ed65475d5e31c33913b4c
[+]
By Pantafernando 2021-11-12 08:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bring FFXI NFSW instead then we can start a conversation
By RadialArcana 2021-11-12 08:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just the next level of the art business.

People paying stupid amounts of money for a stupid modern art picture or a "unique" one of a kind picture that is actually easily duplicated in every detail. The owner of some massively overpriced work of art didn't buy it for the picture, he bought it for the status of owning the "one"

People are now buying digital pictures or videos as "unique" artworks, when anyone can make an exact copy of it (and that they just duplicated to sell). However you get a listing anyone can see as it being unique and yours in this system and to some this is enough, you don't even own the copyright you just own this duplicate that you paid for.

"I own the NFT (unique, but not) version of Nyan cat!" <- this is what people are actually paying for, not the image but the public knowledge that you own this particular duplicate of this image listed as being unique (when it's not) that has billions of identical copies in circulation.

It's about status, just to say "I own this important thing" and everyone knowing it because of the database that says so. So you can pay millions for a Nyan cat gif or a small video clip of an NBA hoop or whatever. People are paying a lot of money for these things, and it's from people who have more money than they could ever spend and so it has no value to them.

I can go out today and buy an exact painted copy of the mona lisa for couple hundred / thousand bucks, it would be near impossible to tell the difference. However it's not about the picture, it's about owning "the publicly accepted one" and this is the same stupid mindset from people that desire more status in our stupid world.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shinzaku
By Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas 2021-11-12 08:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I see NFTs as more of owning a "Certificate of Authenticity" if comparing it to real-world art.
Still kinda weird though. I do see a possible application of NFTs for unique licenses that are tied to your wallet for access into apps/games. Can't really duplicate that check unless you steal someone's secret phrase/words lol
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-11-12 08:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's. Just. Money. Laundering.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-11-12 08:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
It's. Just. Money. Laundering.
Not all of it, a friend sold a NFT for $13000 less than a month ago, and I'm positive they aren't laundering money for anyone. Some of it is speculative investment.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-11-12 08:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, speculating that someone will pay more in an effort to launder their money....

Really just splitting hairs
By Rips 2021-11-12 09:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I said for someone to do this the other day in that random thread. Look at my manifestation powers.

In all honesty, neat, I guess.
By Shichishito 2021-11-12 09:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
a friend
wait, you have friends?
By Rips 2021-11-12 09:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Regarding the claim of money laundering - couldn’t we say that about physical art, too? The concept is the same. An NFT is just digital art, for the most part.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-11-12 09:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »

People paying stupid amounts of money for a stupid modern art picture or a "unique" one of a kind picture that is actually easily duplicated in every detail. The owner of some massively overpriced work of art didn't buy it for the picture, he bought it for the status of owning the "one"

People are now buying digital pictures or videos as "unique" artworks, when anyone can make an exact copy of it (and that they just duplicated to sell). However you get a listing anyone can see as it being unique and yours in this system and to some this is enough, you don't even own the copyright you just own this duplicate that you paid for.

"I own the NFT (unique, but not) version of Nyan cat!" <- this is what people are actually paying for, not the image but the public knowledge that you own this particular duplicate of this image listed as being unique (when it's not) that has billions of identical copies in circulation.

It's about status, just to say "I own this important thing" and everyone knowing it because of the database that says so. So you can pay millions for a Nyan cat gif or a small video clip of an NBA hoop or whatever. People are paying a lot of money for these things, and it's from people who have more money than they could ever spend and so it has no value to them.

I can go out today and buy an exact painted copy of the mona lisa for couple hundred / thousand bucks, it would be near impossible to tell the difference. However it's not about the picture, it's about owning "the publicly accepted one" and this is the same stupid mindset from people that desire more status in our stupid world.

This might be the single dumbest statement about art I've read in my entire lifetime. Your lack of knowledge about classic art markets and trying to say its just the same as the NFT market shows a complete misunderstanding of fine art and economics.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-11-12 09:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
RadialArcana said: »

This might be the single dumbest statement about art I've read in my entire lifetime. Your lack of knowledge about classic art markets and trying to say its just the same as the NFT market shows a complete misunderstanding of fine art and economics.

It's the same, people buying things for status. It's about showing you have so much money you can waste it on something so overpriced it would make putin blush.

The only value the original has over a copy is the status you get from being moneybags, if you need an expert to tell you the difference between the original and a copy it's all nonsense.

However, you're entitled to your opinion.