New Battle Content For Upcoming Job Progression?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New battle content for upcoming job progression?
New battle content for upcoming job progression?
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-17 09:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If they wanna make it more like 14 with multiple fights in a row why not do it like them and let us have the jobs we want in those fights? They're assuming players who love endgame would declare a strat they had in mind to clear it "too hard" wonder what it is. Getting hit with 3 timbers in one minute without rampart and spam curing would mean fight over I feel.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-17 09:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
If they wanna make it more like 14 with multiple fights in a row why not do it like them and let us have the jobs we want in those fights? They're assuming players who love endgame would declare a strat they had in mind to clear it "too hard" wonder what it is. Getting hit with 3 timbers in one minute without rampart and spam curing would mean fight over I feel.

Quote:
Fujito: we really wanted to find a way to split up the "iron plate" (very inflexible, set composition) party structures the players are using.

Q;Why don't they let you do it like you want?

A;They want you to do something other than what the meta says is dabess.

Q;"well then why didn't/don't they do ___"

A;Because they're incompetent. ...and they don't need to. You'll complain but do it anyway.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-17 10:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Quote:
Fujito: we really wanted to find a way to split up the "iron plate" (very inflexible, set composition) party structures the players are using.

Why don't they let you do it like you want?

They want you to do something other than what the meta says is dabess.

"well then why didn't/don't they do ___"

Because they're incompetent. ...and they don't need to. You'll complain but do it anyway.
Wtf are you talking about complaining I'm asking for them to be consistent lol. If they wanna do the same system type as 14 then why not fully bring the system over? Multiple fights a row would be nice in the setup like they kinda have to 14. Which I know two different systems I'd much rather that than we don't want you to meta strats yet people still did just that made setups and aren't really going against them.
 Ragnarok.Inx
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2021-05-17 10:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it becomes about the same jobs/strats being used all the time, and they don't have the resources to craft content that is job specific in order to occupy everything outside the meta.

The bigger issue is that it seems to me that people are still operating in an early years mindset where absolute optimization is required to clear content, and its simply no longer the case.

People still fixate on pimp gear over basic skill, experience coordinating and paying attention, and understanding of the game's mechanics and job possibilities.

There's little appreciation within the community for trying different approaches, its all about boiling stuff down into path of least resistance boilerplate solutions typically using the same jobs. Because that's "optimal".
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-17 10:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Inx said: »

Because it becomes about the same jobs/strats being used all the time, and they don't have the resources to craft content that is job specific in order to occupy everything outside the meta.

The bigger issue is that it seems to me that people are still operating in an early years mindset where absolute optimization is required to clear content, and its simply no longer the case.

People still fixate on pimp gear over basic skill, experience coordinating and paying attention, and understanding of the game's mechanics and job possibilities.

There's little appreciation within the community for trying different approaches, its all about boiling stuff down into path of least resistance boilerplate solutions typically using the same jobs. Because that's "optimal".
You know what honestly this hit it on the head as someone who been playing since game came out I can honestly say it's all I look so and sadly wish it wasn't always the case. Just about the optimal/least resistance. I think alot of it has to do with time it takes to kill and what drop or length of time to get item completed. Doesn't help everyone wants to be number one so they can rub it in people faces either.
 Shiva.Haldarn
Server: Shiva
user: Haldarn
By Shiva.Haldarn 2021-05-17 10:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Manque said: »
All leading up to the big fireworks show that the 20th Anni will be!

Prediction: The 20th Anniversary I'm extremely excited for will just consist of the addition of four new fireworks. Big fireworks, though.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-17 10:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Haldarn said: »

Prediction: The 20th Anniversary I'm extremely excited for will just consist of the addition of four new fireworks. Big fireworks, though.
New fireworks wouldn't be bad either tbh. Wonder if we see empyrean gear before 2023.
By Mattelot 2021-05-17 10:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Haldarn said: »

I just hope we're not all disappointed. Zelda is probably a bigger title than Final Fantasy and the recent disappointment with the 35th anniversary was big.

New fireworks wouldn't be bad either tbh. Wonder if we see empyrean gear before 2023.

I sure hope so. Taking a long time to develop things can yield better quality products but when your dev team is limited, creating hype fatigue topped with more appealing modern games coming out makes competition tough. Then again, it could take a decade and those who rely on cheating will not stray as they'd be forced to play something else legit. Either way, I'm still glad they're still breathing life into a game that had so many good memories. I imagine the day when they shut it down and the only way to play is on private servers with crappy admins.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-17 10:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

XxArkelosxX said: »
I think a lot of the issue is the jobs not commonly played just aren't up to par with the meta and/or lack the utility/support that common jobs offer. I think that's the issue with the odyssey "three in a row" issue people have. Some just don't have the odd jobs geared well enough to win on the content or the jobs are honestly just not up to par. I get that SE wants people to stop playing the "gravy train" jobs and do something else but it is completely their fault that half of the jobs aren't able to compete with the ones commonly used.
This right here like its hard to say play other jobs when the game really only offers two-three buff jobs. Support jobs kinda hide the fact that jobs like geo have nothing to really do once bubbles are place without a sub they can't help heal or even get stuff off people.

Jobs like nin who have no real identity because se truly has no idea what they want it to be. The rng update was nice and them coming out saying they want the job to be the best Ranged dps in game (if I misquote sorry) was nice. Hopefully with the updates for jobs coming we see alot more fixing for jobs semi hurting.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-17 10:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm asking for them to be consistent lol.

Square "Consistently Inconsistent" Enix
[+]
By Mattelot 2021-05-17 11:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This right here like its hard to say play other jobs when the game really only offers two-three buff jobs. Support jobs kinda hide the fact that jobs like geo have nothing to really do once bubbles are place without a sub they can't help heal or even get stuff off people.

Jobs like nin who have no real identity because se truly has no idea what they want it to be. The rng update was nice and them coming out saying they want the job to be the best Ranged dps in game (if I misquote sorry) was nice. Hopefully with the updates for jobs coming we see alot more fixing for jobs semi hurting.

I think it varies from group to group. When I Geo, I'll toss out debuffs, hastes, etc if we don't run with a Rdm but if we do, you're right.

I feel bad for Nin. Back when this game was relevant on the "what's hot/current" list, they were awesome tanks for a lot of content. Now, that's not the case. I've seen well geared Nins get out DD'd by jobs with ok gear.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-17 11:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm asking for them to be consistent lol.

Square "Consistently Inconsistent" Enix
Yea man but can't I dream just once? Side note I was coming at you in the post its just more so I just want SE do something and stick with it til it's in its final form. The odyssey stuff for multiple fights in a row is a nice idea but making it harder by taking subjobs and non repeat jobs hurts that idea in a way.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-17 11:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

They just want players to use more than one meta-party

And without being forced to, the players will not. It's probably incredibly frustrating. Predictable. But frustrating. Failing to grasp simple concepts of rewarding variety. Incentivize. See; Incompetent
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-17 11:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »

I think it varies from group to group. When I Geo, I'll toss out debuffs, hastes, etc if we don't run with a Rdm but if we do, you're right.

I feel bad for Nin. Back when this game was relevant on the "what's hot/current" list, they were awesome tanks for a lot of content. Now, that's not the case. I've seen well geared Nins get out DD'd by jobs with ok gear.
So my comment wasn't aimed at stuff outside of Odyssey I'm talking Odyssey and future stuff if they wanna go down this path. I love nin and that's what sucks the most it has little place in some of the content out right now. Hell in Odyssey I havent even considered nin to be a job I'd wanna use inside.
By Mattelot 2021-05-17 11:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So my comment wasn't aimed at stuff outside of Odyssey I'm talking Odyssey and future stuff if they wanna go down this path. I love nin and that's what sucks the most it has little place in some of the content out right now. Hell in Odyssey I havent even considered nin to be a job I'd wanna use inside.

I get what you're saying and you're not wrong. It's the same with popular content like ambuscade too. There are jobs that just don't get to experience it, forcing someone to level and gear something else. And while that's feasible for many, it's not for everyone.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-17 12:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The content has forced us to reevaluate the abilities and characteristics of each job.
Yes, we try and design to allow multiple different strategies to work. There are some jobs that became stronger unexpectedly in certain situations. It's up to the players to discover and find them out.

You read it. Entrust Geomancy, Asylum, Tactician's Roll all confirmed to be intended mechanics that players discovered. (Yes it probably refers to the weapon resistances and how some jobs are not subject to it as harshly, but since they are talking in code, we will assume Asylum was intended).
By Mattelot 2021-05-17 12:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Entrust Geomancy, Asylum, Tactician's Roll all confirmed to be intended mechanics that players discovered.

What about entrust?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-17 13:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Entrust Indicolure is not removed upon entering or exiting battles in Gaol
 Lakshmi.Cesil
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2021-05-17 13:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The inventory loading slow really needs to be fixed. After I zone I can't even chat in my linkshell for 30 seconds. ><
By SimonSes 2021-05-17 13:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish they will invest in Eu or at least NA servers. Doing anything that involves timing in this game where lag is as bad as in C or dynamisd is just ultra frustrating. I can be the most skilled player in whole world and I'm doing half DPS of other dd in segment farming for example because it takes 4sec for game to autoswitch to new target (or if I'm unlucky my target doesn't disappear at all when it's dead and I'm standing like idiot engaged to dead mob and before I realize and manually switch to something else it's 10 sec lost on doing nothing). If we get anything that requires real skill or perfect timing with this kind of lag, it's gonna be a totally shitty experience. Actually we kinda got that in Gaol atonement 3 on first release, but they fixed it somehow.
By Mattelot 2021-05-17 13:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if they have the resources to improve multi-core processing. Setting CPU affinity to only run on core 0 improves this but not 100%.
 Valefor.Furyspawn
Server: Valefor
user: Furyspawn
By Valefor.Furyspawn 2021-05-17 13:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a lot of this boils down to the fatigue of doing the same content dozens (or even hundreds) of times because drops rates are notoriously abysmal, or because there's a long grind ahead of you to get X number of items/currency for progression. If the player's intended goal is anything other than the fight itself, the content is not going to stay entertaining. And that's usually compounded by the inclusion of annoying mechanics that simply exist to exasperate the player, like Lilith's knockback, unavoidable/unresistible status ailments, rapidly scaling HP, etc. At that point it becomes a slog, anyone is going to take the path of least resistance.

XIV handles this a bit better with partial progression to offset RNG, but I don't seen XI getting the dev resources to make use of the concept in any past or future content.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Inx
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2021-05-17 14:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Furyspawn said: »
I think a lot of this boils down to the fatigue of doing the same content dozens (or even hundreds) of times

I agree, that's a big part of it.

But being pragmatic about it, what the devs are stuck with doing is making content that outlasts the time spent making it somehow.

So they have to introduce time-sinks of some description because if nothing else, after all these years they have a userbase that is insanely good at finding and exploiting any weakness!

Simply hiking difficulty to the moon is not really an option because what that results in is only a subset of the population being able to enjoy it until gear creep depreciates the challenge.

Scaled difficulty with relative point systems seems like an elegant solution, but if every new event works that way we end up with a buffet of grind-fests. Which is where we're at right now.

I just think that in order to keep things at least somewhat fresh, we have to do our part by being willing to experiment a bit more. Which to me is why the single biggest issue with the game right now is storage being so restrictive and unwieldy.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2021-05-17 14:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

In regards to storage, I feel like they added all this new gear thinking "We'll put a little bit of everything so that way people can carry just this new stuff". Instead now I just have 5 more sets of situational crap to carry with me because its situational...

Gletis/Nyame is great when I have SV songs and Bolster Fury/Frailty on DNC, but if I'm solo or in a weaker group, I still need all my other AF/Relic gear. Plus I now carry Sakpatas for PLD Meva, and some Mpaca for PUP, and I haven't even bothered for RNG getting the Ikenga yet, but I know that's probably -5 inventory coming soon.
 Sylph.Snk
Server: Sylph
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2021-05-17 14:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

After the bst ready range nerf, The job while it did get some fun stuff added hasn't really done much for itself since. Nobody really plays the job seriously on my server Sylph outside of a handful of people like myself who love it for what it is.

I'm curious as to what they could do to "repair" the damage they did to it that made so many people quit it for good.
By SimonSes 2021-05-17 14:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm like 99% sure that Mboze was suppose to be killed with SMN, tank, GEO, BST, BRD, WHM. So you have 9 targets to soak the damage. You also have easy access to high subtle blow, killer effect and mewing. It's super safe setup.
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2021-05-17 14:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

I'm like 99% sure that Mboze was suppose to be killed with SMN, tank, GEO, BST, BRD, WHM. So you have 9 targets to soak the damage.

I could see something like Tank, SMN, PUP, COR, GEO, WHM could work, PUPs have been multistepping skillchains with their pets for years and could easily break the aura.
 Valefor.Furyspawn
Server: Valefor
user: Furyspawn
By Valefor.Furyspawn 2021-05-17 15:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I just think that in order to keep things at least somewhat fresh, we have to do our part by being willing to experiment a bit more. Which to me is why the single biggest issue with the game right now is storage being so restrictive and unwieldy.

The room for experimentation and exploration is one of the reasons I still play FFXI. FFXIV is extremely rigid when it comes to a very fixed palette of roles, with no space for personal interpretation or playstyle.

In FFXI, however, with enough skill, experience, and gear tailoring, any number of eclectic job combinations can find a content niche to enjoy. Until SE patches them out, haha.

To your point though, with 22 jobs and a continually increased number of gear sets, there's simply not enough space. The porter moogle is great for long-term storage, but we're up to 28 slips now and it's a hassle to swap multiple pieces of reforged gear each time you change jobs. I've only got 9 jobs mastered and it's a huge struggle trying to maintain multiple gear sets for each, especially since SE has been releasing new gear that is only usable across a restrictive number of jobs for a while now, accessories being one of the biggest offenders.