(NOT) Controlling Both Characters When Dual-boxing

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » (NOT) Controlling Both characters when Dual-boxing
(NOT) Controlling Both characters when Dual-boxing
By renalaa 2021-04-21 10:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently had to reinstall windower, and when I loaded up FFXI after setting stuff up again.. I noticed that when I have my main + alt logged in, I control both at the same time. But previously I had it set up where only the character I had brought forward, I'd control. (So if I clicked on alt's window, I'd control her while I tabbed off or w/e - then main's window clicked and I'd control her then ext)

Normally people are asking on how to make it so they can control both characters, but oddly I'm trying to be opposite?

I still want to able to control my characters when tabbed off, which is why I don't wanna just tick off "Always enable gamepad" too. I am a tab-a-hloic (To look up stuff, check random thoughts, watch video's or w/e)
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2021-04-21 11:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I would think just tick the box for the main to have always enable gamepad and the alt to be loaded up with always enable gamepad off.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51652/how-do-i-stop-this-and-why-does-it-do-it-windower/#3305199
[+]
By renalaa 2021-04-21 12:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
I would think just tick the box for the main to have always enable gamepad and the alt to be loaded up with always enable gamepad off.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51652/how-do-i-stop-this-and-why-does-it-do-it-windower/#3305199

I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work :(

But I can *** with it some more later
By Jetackuu 2021-04-21 15:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What you want doesn't exist, it's either at the same time or only when focused.

*I realize the old behavior was different, however (iirc) that ended with the newer hook, if that is the case then the only feasible method would be revert to a version of windower that utilizes the old unsupported hook and manually update addons as needed. Alternatively pick up send, or just use 2 controllers and 2 computers (can't recommend, despite it's literally how I play).
By renalaa 2021-04-21 15:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
What you want doesn't exist, it's either at the same time or only when focused.

*I realize the old behavior was different, however (iirc) that ended with the newer hook, if that is the case then the only feasible method would be revert to a version of windower that utilizes the old unsupported hook and manually update addons as needed. Alternatively pick up send, or just use 2 controllers and 2 computers (can't recommend, despite it's literally how I play).

I wonder if that's legit it. Since I had an older (Few years) version of windower, and had to do a fresh install of it.. if it is, damn that sucks. I'd have to try and find an older version >_<
By RadialArcana 2021-04-21 15:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe an older version of windower allowed you to control one character full time whether it was in focus or not, I remember re-installing windower a few years ago and like you I lost this because they "fixed" how controller support worked or something (or maybe I took a break for a year and came back I can't remember).

I currently have two characters one one PC, one is controlled via the keyboard and the other is controlled full time with the joypad (focus or not).

I have to load up the FFXI controller config program and turn off controller support for the character I want to use with a keyboard, then after that is logged in I have to open the config program again and turn on controller support for the other character and then log it in.

Now one character has no controller support and the other has full time controller support. It's annoying to have to do this every time you login but it's the only way to do it I've seen. Although you're only going to have to do this once a day I guess, unless you have terrible internet.
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2021-04-21 17:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

@radialarcana
You can't just.. you know make two windower profiles? One with game pad always enabled and the other without?

Making a trip to the config program each time seems excessive and fustrating.
By RadialArcana 2021-04-21 17:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think that works, I tried lots of variations and that was the only way it worked for me at the time.

I only really had to do this once a day when I logged in outside of a crash so it's not that bad really. The benefits of being able to control one character with a controller full time was far more beneficial to warrant the extra login hassle to me.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2021-04-21 18:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Confused as to what you are wanting. Do you have both of your characters displayed on different monitors so that when you are tabbed onto a 3rd type of window like a browser, then the controller doesn't work on either when they are out of focus? Or....

I never did anything fancy. My controller controls which ever character is in focus, or which ever is on top, but out of focus.

Basically the controller will continue moving and working on the last character that I tabbed too, even if it's out of focus because my browser is active or something.

Just not sure what you are wanting to happen. You want the controller to work on all instances even when not in focus at the same time? Or...
By fillerbunny9 2021-04-21 19:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT: nevermind, I just saw the end where you want to be able to control them without XI being the active window. controlling both separately with that on and controller is just not going to work.
 Asura.Xalyia
Server: Asura
user: Sogoro
By Asura.Xalyia 2021-04-21 22:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You might want to try using ffxiswitchmon, you'll be able to control whichever character is actively selected through the software with whatever button on your controller u want. no need to set controller down to switch chars

see this thread or just google ffxiswitchmon

edit: and i dont recall having a problem checking guides on the internet or whatever then going back to the game. but a note on this is that i never played in fullscreen, always the game in windowed mode. never had problems controlling which character i wanted to control.
By renalaa 2021-04-22 10:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
I never did anything fancy. My controller controls which ever character is in focus, or which ever is on top, but out of focus.
This is what I want. But its controlling both windows/instances of FFXI when I am tabbed out.

Asura.Xalyia said: »
You might want to try using ffxiswitchmon, you'll be able to control whichever character is actively selected through the software with whatever button on your controller u want. no need to set controller down to switch chars

see this thread or just google ffxiswitchmon

edit: and i dont recall having a problem checking guides on the internet or whatever then going back to the game. but a note on this is that i never played in fullscreen, always the game in windowed mode. never had problems controlling which character i wanted to control.
You linked back to my thread, unless you meant the early link from Jinx? I play in windowed on both my characters myself. I had no issue previously and don't remember having to do anything to get the control how I wanted - which is why this is frustrating. I'll mess with switchmon though
 Bismarck.Yvan
Server: Bismarck
user: yvan
By Bismarck.Yvan 2021-04-22 13:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

renalaa said: »
This is what I want. But its controlling both windows/instances of FFXI when I am tabbed out.

This works for me with an older controller (not xinput) or at least it did about 2 months ago. Unfortunately that controller broke, and now I can only use the controller if the window is active. I really miss being able to select a character and keep moving etc, while clicking off to something else.
By renalaa 2021-04-22 17:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Yvan said: »

This works for me with an older controller (not xinput) or at least it did about 2 months ago. Unfortunately that controller broke, and now I can only use the controller if the window is active. I really miss being able to select a character and keep moving etc, while clicking off to something else.

I'd say this could be an issue with mine too, since I swapped from an old controler with a button issue to a newer one, but it was the same make/model so I don't know. (Logitech F310 for reference)

This irks me but I haven't gone in to try some of these suggestions yet. I think its windower being updated the most though but.. I don't have any proof til I trial/error my way through it all.
By Jetackuu 2021-04-22 18:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The F310 can work in both xinput and directinput, toggled by the switch on the back.

So a few things:

A. Most importantly I've never done any of this, just a possible potential solution, own risk, etc (create a separate folder to try this).

B. I still can't find the specific thing I'm recalling, so may not be a fix at all.

C. This likely won't work on win10 past creator's update as 4.3 and the new hook was made to bring compatibility as the old hook broke.

D. No legit release for it and idk what all addons will still work, again: UAYOR;

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/50802/windower-42-links
 Asura.Xalyia
Server: Asura
user: Sogoro
By Asura.Xalyia 2021-04-23 17:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You linked back to my thread, unless you meant the early link from Jinx? I play in windowed on both my characters myself. I had no issue previously and don't remember having to do anything to get the control how I wanted - which is why this is frustrating. I'll mess with switchmon though

Whoops I dont know how the link got messed up
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51221/switchmon-help/1/
Was trying to link to a thread about switchmon.

I hope it helps to solve your problem. If you also happen to have a nintendo switch pro controller, you can use a software called BetterJoyforCemu which allows it interface with pc. I quite like the feel of this controller with ffxi and with switchmon i dont have to put controller down to switch tabs.