Str Or Dex Merits?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Str or Dex Merits?
Str or Dex Merits?
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Slytribal
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2009-10-26 20:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just about to start meriting my stats for my Thf, and I was going to merit Dex, but people have stopped me saying that I should merit Str instead.

After asking a few other people, I've been getting an equal difference in people suggesting Str and Dex merits, so I thought I'd ask here to get a few more ideas.

I don't have a Mandau I thought I should add.
 Titan.Chster
Server: Titan
user: Chster
By Titan.Chster 2009-10-26 20:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You should think about any future jobs you want to level
How many jobs does DEX benefit vs STR?
Saying that, i'd go with STR
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-10-26 20:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Chster said:
How many jobs does DEX benefit vs STR?
Saying that, i'd go with STR

QFT
 Pandemonium.Areis
Server: Pandemonium
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2009-10-26 20:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

In general you will get more out of Str merits than you will from Dex. This is taken from the view of eventually leveling other jobs, Str is the primary mod for ALL WS's.

In the case of Thf, this means you'll hit your effective Str cap for daggers with less gear, and be able to wear more Dex/Agi/etc. during your WS's. As far as what you'll notice during non-WS melee, Str or Dex are likely not going to make a significant impact on parse data, unless the Dex breaks you to the next Crit Tier.

so... basically you'll see more benefit from Str merits but it's not going to be a huge swing either way. If you think you'll have more fun with Dex merits do that.

The only real debate (i think) is Str or Int for those who play Blm/Sch/Rdm & Sam/Drg/War/etc.
[+]
 Odin.Ahligieri
Server: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-10-26 20:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

STR
 Phoenix.Slytribal
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2009-10-26 20:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks so much for the input, I know what to do now then. I was leaning more on Str as Mnk is a job I plan to take to 75 anyway.
 Phoenix.Jovant
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2009-10-26 20:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Areis said:
In general you will get more out of Str merits than you will from Dex. This is taken from the view of eventually leveling other jobs, Str is the primary mod for ALL WS's. In the case of Thf, this means you'll hit your effective Str cap for daggers with less gear, and be able to wear more Dex/Agi/etc. during your WS's. As far as what you'll notice during non-WS melee, Str or Dex are likely not going to make a significant impact on parse data, unless the Dex breaks you to the next Crit Tier. so... basically you'll see more benefit from Str merits but it's not going to be a huge swing either way. If you think you'll have more fun with Dex merits do that. The only real debate (i think) is Str or Int for those who play Blm/Sch/Rdm & Sam/Drg/War/etc.

agreed.

more of a debate when u have mage/DD jobs and dont know what to merit.
exmaple: i have a taru thats mnk main on asura server but also have blm. i dont do alot of blm things unless its needed in Ls events or what not, but i did 5/5 int just because of the fact that 5/5 str wont have a big impact on my mnk... it would turn a base stat of 65 and make it into a base stat of 70 like my old charater (elvaan). how i ultimally decided to merit a stat i took time and thought about that stat was strongest to my race and just made it even stronger.

for example of a mithra, mithra's have A+ dex (think its 80 base on a thf) i would merit a mithra's dex even more just to make it A++ if u know where im coming from >.>; now if ur a race like taru and only have DD jobs i wouldnt recommended it doing it my way, but then again why would u be a taru and not have 1 single mage job >.>;
 Bahamut.Dracondria
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-10-26 20:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I have DRG and NIN (and DRK) I'm gonna do 2 DEX 3 STR to help out my Jin and Drakesbane (when I get the damn lance to drop >_>). Depends on what jobs you're planning to level, have lvled and what gear you have available imo.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-10-26 20:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

STR is an all-around good choice when it comes to merits. Think about it, a THF with loldaggers being able to hit harder with more STR merits.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Yimoa
Server: Ramuh
user: Yimoa
By Ramuh.Yimoa 2009-10-26 21:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Chose DEX5 and never turned back nor will (Elvaan by the way).
There's enough STR on Hecatomb and/or Enkidu as far as STR+ goes for THF.
(Yes low fSTR cap).
CAN be argued based on race,mains,your mod focus,etc..
EVERYONE will tell you one or the other,or both.

My Friends Tell Me Not To Give Into Peer Pressure.
By Ishkur 2009-10-26 21:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yimoa said:

My Friends Tell Me Not To Give Into Peer Pressure.

So you give in to the peer pressure of your friends, by not giving in to the peer pressure of the rest of the ppl! Creating a paradox :O
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-10-26 22:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yimoa said:
Chose DEX5 and never turned back nor will (Elvaan by the way).

Yeah, because you're Elvaan. If someone was Hume, Taru, or Galka, the STR merits would benefit them more. You still should have gone 3DEX/2STR, but it is your character. Even being Elvaan myself, I'd still have chosen STR, despite the awesome base they have. STR is much commonly more important than DEX.
 Ramuh.Yimoa
user: Yimoa
By Ramuh.Yimoa 2009-10-26 23:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Much more commonly important? Eh?
Because that ONE attack is just so amazing?
I never liked SAM/WAR/DRK jobs,not my cup.
I must be paying for the game incorrectly.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-26 23:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

STR (If you're mainly on melee jobs)
INT (If you're mainly on mage jobs)

Never should anyone merit anything other than those two.
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-10-27 00:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
STR (If you're mainly on melee jobs)
INT (If you're mainly on mage jobs)

Never should anyone merit anything other than those two.

heh? what about MND ? somes RDMs merit MND 5/5 just to cap it.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-27 00:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

INT for RDM too unless you do nothing but *** yourself out to Merit parties or Endgame stuff where Sleep/Gravity/Bind has no meaning.
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-10-27 00:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yimoa said:
Much more commonly important? Eh?
Because that ONE attack is just so amazing?
I never liked SAM/WAR/DRK jobs,not my cup.
I must be paying for the game incorrectly.

Well, you probably just don't know about the math behind every single melee swing.

Let me introduce you to fSTR. It's part of what determines your weapon's base damage, and the more STR you have, the higher your weapon's base damage will be, allowing you to peak higher on WS and normal swings.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-27 00:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If the only melee job your gunna lvl is thf and you have no plan to get mandau ie using DE. Since its what 4-6 str to get 1 more fstr. Efectively making it somehwere between 16-25% ws mod. 5 dex will increase your DE dmg more even without SA. With SA the difference is even greater and ws like SB which is even more heavily dex modded its even bigger difference. Well dex is pretty good for blu too. Also its pretty easy for thf to get to fstr caps on loldags on most xp lvlish mobs so at that point str is only gonna be giving you a little more attack.
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-10-27 00:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That's very true. I didn't really think outside the box, because it's hard to imagine someone having only one melee at 75 >_>;
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-27 00:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Vincentius said:
That's very true. I didn't really think outside the box, because it's hard to imagine someone having only one melee at 75 >_>;

<--- 75 rdm blm thf blu. So yeah I thought about it. But I felt like epeening on blm more so int it was though I did used to have 2str and 1 dex lol. Plus it makes my drain bolts do more!!!

That being said dex will also increase your acc and crit hit rate on all melee jobs too.
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-10-27 00:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly though, if I was Mithra I wouldn't even worry about it. Hume is too neutral to not go both ways (lolgay), and Elvaan really could use the DEX. I'm a SAM main, so I'm going with the STR.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-27 01:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol sam it isn't even a question. You get the fstr mods higher fstr caps and decent str mods for your ws... while dex gives you um 3acc... yeah.

Thf and maybe dnc or blu are the only times this question should even be asked really.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-27 01:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're a career single-job, then it's not really a question.

There's on reason for a BRD-only player to merit INT, for instance.

That being said, if you have at least 2 75s, chances are one of them will be either a melee or a mage that use STR or INT, so in most cases you will never stray from the two options.

Sorta like getting Bushinomimi from DM. Only get it if you never plan on leveling any Dual Wield job.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-27 01:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd take bushi over suppa if I planned on being a career sam and was super pimped out just to make it that much more cash. And I wasn't taru. And didn't use blu so much
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-10-27 01:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image

O hay, I don't belong in this argument.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-27 01:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image

O hay, I don't belong in this argument.

Someone on my server got screwed when someone stole his account because of that.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-27 01:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Ninian said:
User submitted image O hay, I don't belong in this argument.
Someone on my server got screwed when someone stole his account because of that.

What like a GM because he has 2 earrings your not supposed to have more then 1 of?
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-27 01:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Nawh he used his item recall or whatever time to get two earrings and got screwed out of a character restore/item restore. Hacker dropped his Aegis along with other important shinies he'll never get back.
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-10-27 01:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not really hard to do, just gotta think about it. Then plan accordingly, and don't eff it up. Keep plans to yourselves though, it shouldn't be used widely.
First Page 2