Crafting Chocobos (questions)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Digging » Crafting Chocobos (questions)
Crafting Chocobos (questions)
By Chimerawizard 2020-08-13 14:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

What birds are best to raise for racing & digging?
My guess @racing would be S/S/D/A gallop/cantor
My guess @digging would be F/SS/A/SS
Do Burrow & Bore count toward the 100/day cap? If yes, what's worth having?

What is the best path to making both chocobos?
Racer: Vomp + walk/packages until 255 (SS) both physical then swap to public exhibition/salad until they drop temporarily to (A) and do enough to raise them back to (S); Use chocobucks & salad for the rest.
Digger: ???

What racing silks should I target? Green > Sky blue > Blue?Black

Just went from z60(d15) to z55(d10) after only a day & a half of chocobo digging on a rental chocobo with orvail/shaper's shawl/chocobo rope. Is that normal for someone who just dug for the first time since creating their character using rope alone or would that suggest craft skillup+ gear also effects digging skillups?
By soralin 2020-08-13 17:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For digging, you use Black Chocobo Suit, available from typically the new years event.

For racing I dont think any choco silks metter. Green silks are clutch for raising the bird though, find someone you can buy vouchers off of so you can get the silks while raising.

I believe discernment is the choice "third" stat for a racer IIRC.

And yes, Canter+Gallop Ive found to be best.

SS/SS/D/F, Canter Gallop, Stamina Apple, I have found pretty much always gets me wins in the racing track if I care to go do it.

And D/F/SS/SS, Treasure Finder, and I think Bore? I dont recall which is better, Burrow or Bore. Not sure if either is good tbh. Gallop might be better, tbh, to make the bird run faster.
[+]
By Rhinos 2020-08-13 18:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
What birds are best to raise for racing & digging?
My guess @racing would be S/S/D/A gallop/cantor
My guess @digging would be F/SS/A/SS
Do Burrow & Bore count toward the 100/day cap? If yes, what's worth having?

For racer I'd go 8/8/4/1 cap STR/END first, then DSC with chocobucks salad, while telling stories for gallop cantor.

For digger 1/8/4/8 sounds right. I'd go ExerciceInGroup/Packages to cap END first, then act in play for RCP(only lowers strength) while training/salading DSC and telling stories.

Burrow/bore do count against the dig cap, so I can't say if they are worth it. If I remember correctly, It was mentioned in a dev QA that the Treasure Hunter ability also increases digging accuracy, so is worth considering.

What racing silks should I target? Green > Sky blue > Blue?Black

Just went from z60(d15) to z55(d10) after only a day & a half of chocobo digging on a rental chocobo with orvail/shaper's shawl/chocobo rope. Is that normal for someone who just dug for the first time since creating their character using rope alone or would that suggest craft skillup+ gear also effects digging skillups?

Green & Blue racing silks are the most recommended. Blue gives a ~50% chance for digs to not count toward digs/day cap. I can confirm SS END gets 200 digs/day, and combined with blue silks I get roughly 400 digs before hitting daily cap.

I've never heard of craft skillup gear affecting digging skill, and I doubt it does. The first few rank ups don't take long, but don't you worry, it won't stay that way.

I don't think the exact effect of the chocobo rope has ever been confirmed. Whatever it does it can't be seen eyeballing.
[+]
By soralin 2020-08-13 18:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Rhinos said: »
I can confirm SS END gets 200 digs/day,

I will note my F endurance bird gets 200 digs/day as well.

Burrow/Bore items I think are worth very little and I as well believe they count towards dig cap, so that actually hurts your profit.

Id go Treasure Finder only I think.

The skillup silks I believe are faster for rapidly building skill up, and I find I get more HMPs per day when I use the rope. Cant say why/how, dunno, but my average went up by about 1 more HMP/day, but I didnt record my results very well so I couldnt do a chi square test or something on it to determine if its statistically significant :(

However it doesnt hurt to get it and use it so, I say go for it.

End game digging wise, the black choco suit is all that matters though. Without it your digging wont be really worth doing, but the black choco suit lets you dig stuff like HPBs, Heavy Metals, dyna currencies, etc etc.

Hopefully we can get it again this new years if you missed it last time :)
[+]
By Rhinos 2020-08-13 18:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »

Do you get 200 digs with black choco suit?
By soralin 2020-08-13 19:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, black choco suit cancels out "Trash" items so they dont burn stamina.

It works pretty much the same way Fishermans Smock works, cancelling "bad" stuff to let you get more value out of stamina.

But yeah its 200 digs, easy to track via the repeatable chocobo digging RoE quest.
By Rhinos 2020-08-13 19:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, black choco suit cancels out "Trash" items so they dont burn stamina.

It works pretty much the same way Fishermans Smock works, cancelling "bad" stuff to let you get more value out of stamina.

But yeah its 200 digs, easy to track via the repeatable chocobo digging RoE quest.

Are you sure about getting 200 digs with F endurance? I tested digging with F endurance and no choco gear, and I was definitely capped at 100 successful digs.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2020-08-13 19:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, black chocobo suit. I misread and thought it was black racing silks. I actually have that. taking off slip and adding to the equipset.

edit:
For racer I'd go 8/8/4/1
Quote:
Discernment: Affects how well a chocobo manages its Endurance, and item use timing.
Receptivity: Affects a chocobo’s ability to avoid accidents, and attacks.
I thought discernment was the one to ignore since you'll need high receptivity on later official races & for the daily C1 race (did they ever open that up to more than 1/day)?

2:
Burrow/bore do count against the dig cap, so I can't say if they are worth it. If I remember correctly, It was mentioned in a dev QA that the Treasure Hunter ability also increases digging accuracy, so is worth considering.
Hm, maybe TH & canter then.
By Rhinos 2020-08-13 20:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought discernment was the one to ignore since you'll need high receptivity on later official races & for the daily C1 race (did they ever open that up to more than 1/day)?

The only consistant advice I've seen for racing stats is to cap the physical stats. Opinions on where to put the remaining points seem to be mixed, so you know as well as I do.

Edit: Also keep in mind you will probably need atleast C DSC at some point in order to learn the abilities.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2020-08-13 21:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Also keep in mind you will probably need atleast C DSC at some point in order to learn the abilities.

Thats what i was was going to mention as i was reading through this. - Capping str/end and wanting gallop/canter is usually where ppl start. But they sometimes forget that you need some work in the other stat to increase the likely hood of learning a skill.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2020-08-14 13:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

GG, it really does suppress trash. I went from 30% dig accuracy to <10%.
Well, if this lets me get some extra invisible skillups each day, it'll be worth it.
edit: i read somewhere conquest points don't count toward daily cap. Is that true?
By Chimerawizard 2020-08-27 00:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It was mentioned it takes very little time to dig to daily cap for a good digger.
How do you setup your dig macro?
equipswap to blink; dig; wait 2; repeat?

I'm still an initiate so I have yet to learn of the joy that is 0s dig delay and am curious how others handle it.

I'm still stuck at 12.5%~ dig accuracy with the black chocobo suit, which is god awful. Does it stay such a terrible acc even at a high skill level or what acc do you guys see?

I have seen the digger addon sometimes count one dig double toward cap. Could this be why BG wiki says, "... conquest points don't count towards limit. Most successful digs count as 1 fatigue but as you level, your bird may get an occasional free dig."
I have seen the opposite, conquest points DO count towards the limit & as a lowly initiate (Lv.20~29) after subtracting double counts, only ever seen 100.
By soralin 2020-08-27 01:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still stuck at 12.5%~ dig accuracy with the black chocobo suit, which is god awful. Does it stay such a terrible acc even at a high skill level or what acc do you guys see?

Yes, Id say thats about right for me.

The body piece "filters" off bad digs, replacing them outright with "You didnt find anything" so you preserve stamina.

So all those pebbles and other garbage turn into "You didnt find anything", and I never found it got better, because digging skill mostly just widens your pool of items, but doesnt appear to outright filter off the garbage stuff, which is why choco suit is so good.

As for digging, yeah it takes a long time to drain your full stamina when you still have a timer between digs. It gets much faster once you hit 0s delay.
By Chimerawizard 2020-08-28 18:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Just hit 0 dig delay yesterday... it isn't 0 delay, it's 3s+lag delay. I'm almost always able to dig at 3.3s delay.

YouTube Video Placeholder

update w/o bumping. got chocobo whistle and w/ avg endurance 160 digs today... i think. didn't log it and got '164' w/ 3 i know were a dig counted double.

Almost finished raising my next chocobo.
F/SS(cap)/B/SS Canter/TreasureFinder
Extremely high dig accuracy. 200/240 successful digs today.
Still a 200 dig cap, so Canter does not increase cap beyond 200/day, not much point to having it out longer when a /mount brings it right back as well. Forgot to check whether it boosts a tier prior to FirstClass, which could be good for higher rate of free digs. addon shows +80% movement speed with either zero or near zero into STR. As such, STR is effectively useless now unless you need CP/IS/AN/bayld bad.
Did not see a single TreasureFinder exclusive item today although I have in the past with this setup. I think the increased dig accuracy reduces the opportunities for TreasureFinder to proc.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [245 days between previous and next post]
By Chimerawizard 2021-04-30 11:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

NECRO

So before the latest Hyper Chocobo Digging campaign, I was A20(Adept). Just yesterday while digging I noticed my sky blue racing silks didn't give me a skill-up message the whole day.
I think Hyper Digging Campaign may actually be an HQ of the skill-up campaign due to this.
Question based on that info: Of our A10 diggers here, did any of you continue to see skill-up messages after getting that rank for a time or is A10 effectively 110 skill?

Another thing I have observed is after making a chocobo with TreasureFinder SSS Endurance & Receptivity, with the rest in Discernment, my digging accuracy has risen to a solid 85%. I'll check if it's risen further since I last actually bothered to count my digs today. edit: was a bit less today at 83%, so no change in accuracy from adept to expert or overcap with receptivity boost.

Also, does Auto-Regen do anything for digging? Like maybe mimicking blue racing silks's increase in total digs per day?
If no one knows, I'll probably raise one and JUST give it regen to test before deleting the skill if it doesn't.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [41 days between previous and next post]
By Chimerawizard 2021-06-10 13:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

cap digging skill, figured I'd post some results hoped auto-regen was like blue race silks.
Just raised a chocobo with 0/0/5/4 auto-regen. (0 for poor w/ 0 points toward next rank)
movement speed: -36% (16% less than normal mounts)
ride time: 17 minutes 1 second~
successful digs: 100
refused greens: 32 (~17.5%) 3.5% per rank?
unsuccessful digs: 82 (~45%) seems high. my TF+recptivity:8 is only 15%
easy digs: 0 guess auto-regen really is absolute garbage.

will update post as I raise its stats and change its ability.
six END training: still 17min.
7th: 21min. (rank's up to substandard) so tied directly to rank instead of partial ranks.
*max end chocobo is 45min so 4 minutes per rank checks out.
+6 END trainings: rank up: 25min. A bit deficient. so probably 10/256 per training w/ each tier being 64/256. if it were 9, then it'd take 7 or 8 to rank up a 2nd time.

forgot to update chocobo after doing more stat+ so based on time (25min), I believe this was 0/3/5/4 auto-regen + blue silks
item:270 (270+33-153=150)
currency:33
ease:153 (~50%)
no greens:61 /(270+33+233)=11.4%
failed:233 46.3%

0/4/6/5 no abilities + blue silks
item:294+9(pixie's because rare tag wouldn't let me 'obtain') (294+9-151=152... should be 160, maybe I screwed up with the counts)
currency:0 (apparently can't get allied notes if your tag expires!)
ease:151
no greens:91 16.7%
failed:242 44.4%

0/4/6/5 gallop: mvmt. speed -34% (+2% from w/o gallop)
item:288 (288-139=149)
currency:0 (yup, no A.N. after tag expires)
ease:139
no greens:104 18.8%
failed:266 48%

0/4/7/7 TreasureFinder
item:308 (308+9-161=156)
currency:9
ease:161
no greens:79 20.8%
failed:62 16.3%
conclusion, RCP means jack for frequency, TreasureFinder OP. Guess RCP is quality of normal pool, and Black chocobo suit items are actually normal items, just with stupid low frequency of being found at least for a personal chocobo. rental chocobos may not have w/e trait that allows those items to appear.

template
item:
currency:
ease:
no greens:
failed:

Is there any benefit aside from inventory+1 to one chocobo with burrow + bore or would I be better off doing two chocobos with Treasure Finder + either?
[+]
By Pugofmidgard 2021-07-06 15:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for that break down. I am curious about a Bird with enhanced physical traits, did your bird get any changes to its physical appearance? Beak/feet/feathers?

As far as Bore V Burrow - what sorts of items could you use more or less of if you are using it to farm pool drops?

Wyvern Scales, Dragon Scales, various Ores, generally have a decent stack value to amass mats this way during daily digs. Burrow tends to lean toward Cooking/Woodworking/Alchemy, Bore leans toward Bone/Blacksmith/Goldsmith - with Leather/Cloth generally being a normal pool pick-up.

I haven't got around to 2nd generation breeding, but I suspect a 2nd generation egg will make getting stat induced appearance changes much easier, and was wondering if Big Beak Bird smashes better/more successfully or if its just a visual cue to what sort of 'stats' the bird has and otherwise does nothing.
By Chimerawizard 2021-08-03 11:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

My racing bird has feet & feathers enhanced visuals.
My diggers each have enhanced beaks.

They are just visual cues and don't appear to do anything to their stats.

as for burrow vs bore: I have friends with many different shields. Some items while cheap, just don't get listed on AH. Several of those items are in those layers so it's just a matter of getting chocobos capable of targeting said layers.
Treasure Finder is OP at increasing the dig accuracy, so that's a must for the other ability which means 3 digging chocobos + one race chocobo (for the titles).

For 2nd gen chocobo, just do an ISNM, breeding is worthless. I've done 3 isnm chocobos, 2 turned out black, the other blue. Do a bunch of 'free races' and get yourself a set of green racing silks. It really helps keep your chocobo at parent affection. Why this is good: when it views you as its parent, care plans have double the positive effect.
[+]