Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Minneapolis, MN PD
Minneapolis, MN PD
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
By Voren 2020-05-28 09:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Any and all information, thoughts, and opinions regards the murder of an unarmed subject by Minneapolis' finest.
[+]
By Voren 2020-05-28 09:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/28/george-floyd-minneapolis-protests-jimenez-dnt-newday-vpx.cnn
[+]
 Lakshmi.Leosin
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2020-05-28 13:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm genuinely shocked that they fired all four officers tbh.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-28 13:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Leosin said: »

Video is the reason, even so it's still surprising.

It never stops being mind-boggling what (we) allow pussies with titles to get away with.
 Lakshmi.Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2020-05-28 13:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

It never stops being mind-boggling what (we) allow pussies with titles to get away with.

Agreed but it's just weird that in this instance, officers are being held accountable. Police ON RECORDINGS doing similar crap like this have been put on "Paid Leave" for decades.

IF charges are brought to at least the one officer, and he's not found guilty I fully expect 90's L.A. riots. Hell, petty rioting and looting already going on atm.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-28 13:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed but it's just weird that in this instance, officers are being held accountable. Police ON RECORDINGS doing similar crap like this have been put on "Paid Leave" for decades.

IF charges are brought to at least the one officer, and he's not found guilty I fully expect 90's L.A. riots. Hell, petty rioting and looting already going on atm.

I understand the cynicism, but this is on a different level from many of the other related incidents over the years. The more I look into this (the hard evidence, not the biased commentary) the more convinced I am that there is no way that this cop walks.

That being said, the rioting and looting always ticks me off a bit. I understand the anger, but rioting has already led to one death here and I don’t expect it to end with just one, so do the ends really justify the means when peaceful protests are a constitutionally protected option? How does setting fire to local businesses and wrecking your own neighborhoods help your cause?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2020-05-28 13:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I understand the cynicism, but this is on a different level from many of the other related incidents over the years. The more I look into this (the hard evidence, not the biased commentary) the more convinced I am that there is no way that this cop walks.

That being said, the rioting and looting always ticks me off a bit. I understand the anger, but rioting has already led to one death here and I don’t expect it to end with just one, so do the ends really justify the means when peaceful protests are a constitutionally protected option? How does setting fire to local businesses and wrecking your own neighborhoods help your cause?

I really hope you are right Rav.
As for the rioting though, it's just angry people being stupid.
Mob mentality makes people even dumber. The people looting are just taking advantage of the situation, kinda goes hand-in-hand.

I'm glad that the people protesting outside that cops house didn't do anything brash though.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-05-28 14:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes just looking at whats publicly available, these officers are going down hard. Probably not for "murder" due to the burden of proof required and the Police Officers being smart enough to insist on legal representation prior to any "interview". I do expect them to end up pleading to negligent homicide / manslaughter.

https://lawshelf.com/shortvideoscontentview/criminal-law-manslaughter-and-criminally-negligent-homicide/

Murder requires the Prosecution prove "intent", which they usually do through statements made by suspects during the Police "interview" before a lawyer shows up and tells them to STFU. Questions like "you didn't like Mr. Blacky very much, we can understand".

Police Officers have union backed legal representation for events that happen while on duty. Officers that are suspected of wrong doing will never voluntarily submit themselves to being "interviewed" by one of their peers, they know better. So virtually no evidence from interviews, lots of evidence from body cameras. They'll be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that one officer was definitely responsible for the death of George Floyd and that the other officers were accessories. Intent, gonna be super hard unless one of the accessories cuts a deal and is willing to testify that the kneeling guy wanted to kill Mr. Floyd.

I hope to hell they nail those dudes, LEO's have a special amount of trust and power from the government and people. With that trust comes a huge amount of leeway and a larger then normal benefit of a doubt. When they betray that trust they need to be nailed to the wall and made examples of.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-05-28 17:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Surveillance video does not support police claims that George Floyd resisted arrest
CNN
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-05-28 18:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah gotta love all the crazy ***they start saying like "Reaching for a Gun" and "Office felt his life threatened" to justify over reacting and killing someone.

LEO's in the USA are far too militarized, like they think their some kind of Army / Marines without the ridiculous amounts of training involved.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-28 19:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, I was going to share a link to a video from USA Today that showed a white police officer desperately trying to save the life of the black protestor that died, but when I went back to the same article it is now magically gone along with the written account. I only found record of it again on the local news site, but no video. I think it’s good to show examples of police who are good people, because many of them are going to catch heat due to the actions of some scumbag cops.

Now, I don’t want to be the resident conspiracy guy (who knows, maybe they just moved it), but if that was intentional.... Either way, it’s interesting to see what gets left out and/or redacted when these kinds of stories unfold.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-05-28 22:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, I was going to share a link to a video from USA Today that showed a white police officer desperately trying to save the life of the black protestor that died, but when I went back to the same article it is now magically gone along with the written account. I only found record of it again on the local news site, but no video. I think it’s good to show examples of police who are good people, because many of them are going to catch heat due to the actions of some scumbag cops.

Now, I don’t want to be the resident conspiracy guy (who knows, maybe they just moved it), but if that was intentional.... Either way, it’s interesting to see what gets left out and/or redacted when these kinds of stories unfold.

Yeah most LEOs are good decent people just trying to live their lives. The problem is the small fraction that gets off on being im a position of power over "regular" people. Those guys are easy to spot and an incident waiting to happen. In the past the "blue wall" would protect those guys under the belief that it was them "LEO" against "everyone else".

Our of those four only one was "bad", yet the other three shielded that person and enabled him to murder a man. How many months / years did they know him? How many police covered and hid bad behavior? How often was aggressive behavior ignored or even encouraged?

Nothing is free, all things have costs and the price must eventually be paid in full. Police in the USA have had this coming for decades and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
[+]
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2020-05-28 23:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The particular cop apparently has a lengthy list of complaints regarding his conduct with no apparent punishments being issued.
By Viciouss 2020-05-28 23:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Really surprised they went another day without making an arrest. Public pressure isn't even needed, its super obvious charges are warranted. Well, more rioting ensues.
 Shiva.Zerowone
Server: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-05-28 23:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys will enjoy the political tie in:

https://news.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar-declined-prosecute-officer-183728902.html

Turns out, Klobuchar at some point in the past declined to prosecute the officer at the center of all this.

Explains why African Americans do not want Biden to select her as VP. What will he do.

*If you articles it’s not really as sinister as it sounds but 10 complaints over 19yrs is pretty excessive.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-05-28 23:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Not seeing a case where the DA should have even been involved really. Complaints and infractions should be handled by his superiors, the DA should only be there if a crime was committed. Was he disciplined for any of these conplaints?
By Viciouss 2020-05-29 00:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, they are burning a police precinct tonight, and Trump is taking partisan shots at the mayor, stoking the flames. Seems helpful.
[+]
By Voren 2020-05-29 02:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

the rioting and looting always ticks me off a bit. I understand the anger, but rioting has already led to one death here and I don’t expect it to end with just one, so do the ends really justify the means when peaceful protests are a constitutionally protected option? How does setting fire to local businesses and wrecking your own neighborhoods help your cause?

The US was founded on the rubble and ashes of a giant riot that began with the destruction of property. There's nothing more American than destroying ***in the name of being pissed off.

Now, don't misconstrue, I'm not in favor of all this *** going on, I just understand it, violence begets violence.

My personal thoughts on this: that officer is guilty AF and his three accomplices as well. I've never used a knee across the neck to even gain compliance. I've also never left a person handcuffed and laying on the ground, that's how positional asphyxiation occurs.

I have used pressure point controls behind the ear and near the clavicle to gain compliance, mainly a "don't *** spit on me" move. There's ways to gain compliance and ensure safety other than what this idiot officer did.

He's guilty of at least Murder 2 and his cohorts need to go for being complicit in the death, same charge imo, *** them all, may they be someone's wonderful wife in prison.
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
Server: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-05-29 07:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1266315061221613569

This happened this morning. A compliant African American reporter was arrested for just doing their job. He got released and explained what he thought happened to cause the incident. Guy is a professional.

Him explaining what he thought happened:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1266338035605667842
[+]
By Voren 2020-05-29 07:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that was a bad judgement call. Some times a modicum of critical thinking can go a long way.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-05-29 08:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn auto-correct on phones, inserts typos more often then not.

Voren said: »
He's guilty of at least Murder 2 and his cohorts need to go for being complicit in the death, same charge imo, *** them all, may they be someone's wonderful wife in prison.

I doubt they'll be able to prove second degree murder, requires "intent" to be proven which is almost impossible when someone lawyers up immediately.

2019 Minnesota Statutes
609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.19

Probably not first degree manslaughter

2019 Minnesota Statutes
609.20 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE FIRST DEGREE

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.20

If it wasn't in the line of duty they could attempt to throw third degree murder at them, but since they were conduction "official police business" and the victim was a suspect of a crime.

It'll end up being negligent homicide / involuntary manslaughter. Neither of those require intent, just that someone did something insanely stupid that no reasonable person would believe is appropriate, and that something directly resulted in the deaths of others.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/murder-charges-in-minnesota-43141

I am not a lawyer, I just know how to read legalese.
[+]
By volkom 2020-05-29 11:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

friend sent me this on discord
YouTube Video Placeholder

the original video showing this was removed by youtube
[+]
 Lakshmi.Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2020-05-29 12:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
friend sent me this on discord
YouTube Video Placeholder

the original video showing this was removed by youtube

Wow, that's pretty damning.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-05-29 12:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It looks like an arrest has finally been made. No word on the charges yet.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-29 12:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It's not clear what charges Chauvin may face. Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, the charging authority, has scheduled a press conference at 1 p.m. local time concerning a "major development" in the case, reports CBS affiliate WCCO.

5 ish minutes
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-29 12:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Voren said: »
The US was founded on the rubble and ashes of a giant riot that began with the destruction of property. There's nothing more American than destroying ***in the name of being pissed off.

Fair, but the "riot" primarily was focused on the destruction of English forces and property. Imagine if the Boston Tea Party didn't involve dumping tea into the harbor but instead had colonists burning Boston to the ground.

Like, hey guys, your local businesses didn't put their knee on some dude's neck, so, you know....
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-29 13:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

3rd degree Murder and Manslaughter
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-29 13:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

3rd degree Murder and Manslaughter

Hmm, that’s something at least. 3rd degree murder in Minnesota carries a max sentence of 25 years. I expect that people will be ticked off that life in prison is off the table, but his actions seem to fit the definition of “depraved-heart murder”, which is 3rd degree murder in Minnesota’s law.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-05-29 13:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that's the most they can charge him with and actually get a conviction for. But this doesn't even include the civil suits that are guaranteed to come, the family is gonna get millions.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10