Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Dat Modding » 'Remapster' Project: HD Maps for FFXI
'Remapster' Project: HD Maps for FFXI
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By RadialArcana 2022-06-03 06:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

This may come across as rude, so just ignore if you think it so

Is there any chance that a "blank" map template can be given to the community, as in the co-ordinates around the edges, the base background texture and the borders. As well as font information, and permission to use icons for others to also make maps in a similar style?

Making maps for this game is such a ridiculously long winded task due to the sheer numbers that maybe others can help making some and for them all to match, and if you find them of an acceptable standard they can be added to the project.

This is your project obviously so if you would prefer to keep this as your own work that's fine, but I think it would reach conclusion and possibly be more exciting if it's more of a community project. Even if it was just handful of maps from a handful of people.

The major problem with projects like this is very often aren't finished and people burn out, and I think this could probably near guarantee it will be completed.
By spalose 2022-06-03 15:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
This may come across as rude, so just ignore if you think it so

Is there any chance that a "blank" map template can be given to the community, as in the co-ordinates around the edges, the base background texture and the borders. As well as font information, and permission to use icons for others to also make maps in a similar style?

Making maps for this game is such a ridiculously long winded task due to the sheer numbers that maybe others can help making some and for them all to match, and if you find them of an acceptable standard they can be added to the project.

This is your project obviously so if you would prefer to keep this as your own work that's fine, but I think it would reach conclusion and possibly be more exciting if it's more of a community project. Even if it was just handful of maps from a handful of people.

The major problem with projects like this is very often aren't finished and people burn out, and I think this could probably near guarantee it will be completed.

Hey! Not rude at all - thanks for taking such an interest in the project. It actually means a lot!

As for releasing the source files to spread the load, I'm probably going to hold back on that for awhile. I'm a stickler for quality and this project is my baby, so I'm somewhat reluctant to hand the keys over just yet, hehe. It's not that I don't want or appreciate the offer of collaboration, it's that I'm protective of the style consistency, and there are a lot of moving parts to my process to get it quite right.

I will absolutely let you know if that changes in the coming weeks and months we're working on it, though - and thanks for your help so far on the DAT replacement front! <3
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-06-04 08:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

In regards to FFXIDB and not this project

If a zip folder is made with all the vanilla dat map files, it could be dropped into the ffxidb folder and it could use those instead of trying to open the ones from the game.

Assuming it has all the file locations listed, all that would be required then is to just change the directory it reads the maps from. Also, if this is done then more maps could also be added for zones not currently supported (such as dynamis etc) cause people could make the 512 maps for those zones to match the zone id.

FFXIDB minimap is so widely used I think this is a big deal for this to also be updated now honestly, it would make more people willing to use the HD maps.

Also, if this was done those map files could also be edited to make them more clear for the minimap (And kept at 512)
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-06-04 18:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If you install these HD map packs, be aware they are made with SSD drives in mind. If you install them with old type hard drives you are going to have minor freezes when you bring up a map due to the the hard drive not loading the data fast enough.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-06-08 12:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Maps that are increased to 2048 in dxt3 format seem to have a minor freeze when the map is brought up, palette maps are instant load.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-06-09 05:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Beautiful work. Installed the v1 .dat pack yesterday.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2022-06-09 12:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Does this break ffxidb?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-06-09 13:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

For the moment, yes. However, we have a version in the works.
[+]
By GhostyStar 2022-06-09 13:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't if you use XIPivot to load it instead of replacing the DATs, FFXIDB will just keep using the vanilla maps.
[+]
By spalose 2022-06-24 02:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Got a new blog post up while we are plugging away at Map Pack 2!

Mapping Attohwa Chasm
[+]
 Odin.Shamusde
Server: Odin
user: Enobmas
By Odin.Shamusde 2022-06-24 09:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

spalose said: »

Mapping Attohwa Chasm

Enjoyed reading the post! Many thanks for spearheading this project.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-06-24 12:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Mapping Attohwa Chasm
Enjoyed the post so much, thank you for sharing! Absolutely outstanding process and result!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Jasmint
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: JasTx
By Quetzalcoatl.Jasmint 2022-07-02 06:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Mapping Attohwa Chasm
Woah, awesome workflow to tackle the challenge that is the chasm. Great work, thanks for sharing, and congratulations on getting the maps to work in-game! So keen to see more maps in the future. :D
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-07-26 20:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, we're finally ready to release map pack 2! With this latest map pack, we're just over the 50% mark for redrawing all of the maps for this lovely game. We're continuing to spread out our efforts across all eras of the game's maps, so expect to see maps from vanilla, RoZ, CoP, ToAU, SoA, and all the scenarios too. And we've got a few new maps that have never been drawn by the community before.

Check out the blog post for links to the download and instructions for using XIPivot to import the game files (DATs) for use in-game. We've also listed all the zones that we have redrawn the maps for, separated by pack number.

We've made a few changes to fix areas in map pack 1 as well. And based on feedback, we've got 2 sets of game files (DATs) to choose from: 2048px and 1024px. Some of you were complaining that the 2048 maps were just too darn crispy and they kept crashing the game (out of memory). If you're running into this issue, then the 1024px maps are your jam. Or, you can attempt to remedy it with dgvoodoo (beyond the scope of this project to explain unfortunately).

We'll be releasing the mappy files as well, but we had some issues last map pack release where the wrong map ids were generated. We'll be checking the latest with the maintainer and the download links will be added to the releases page.

Hope you guys enjoy! Please keep the feedback coming, and watch this space for updates on the addon as well. It's getting close to being usable!
[+]
By Tanag 2022-07-26 23:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Great work yet again! Thank you!
[+]
By Aliekber 2022-07-27 11:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't praise remapster enough. All the redrawn maps look so good.
[+]
 Bismarck.Vespertaru
Server: Bismarck
user: Vesper84
By Bismarck.Vespertaru 2022-07-27 18:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I was looking over this all today and the map for Attohwa Chasm is amazing. I admit I haven't read the whole thing in detail or the blog posts but what are you plans for the 4 Promy maps?
[+]
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2022-07-27 20:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Vespertaru said: »
what are you plans for the 4 Promy maps?
The promy maps in question were released with map pack 2:
Promyvion - Dem
Promyvion - Holla
Promyvion - Mea
Promyvion - Vahzl
By Zubis 2022-07-27 21:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

...Dear god. Just installed the pack. Genuinely stunned at the user experience changes. I loaded a map on my 65" TV and just sat there looking at all the additions.

Then I went out to Yorcia Weald, and it felt like someone armed me with a compass and a machete to cut through the jungle. I'm currently doing Mummer's Coalition assignments so these improvements are genuinely helpful to me.

Best add-on to FFXI in 10 years.
[+]
 Bismarck.Vespertaru
Server: Bismarck
user: Vesper84
By Bismarck.Vespertaru 2022-07-27 22:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

They are amazing! x1000 better than the OG ones, just like Attohwa Chasm.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-08-07 17:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

has ffxidb been updated yet?