Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
First Page 2 ... 13 14 15
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 09:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Things to come:
Include stuff from feedback.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 09:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Node 397
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-05-06 10:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »
That 10% ~ 30% will be halved on NMs however, so that means you'll get a 5% ~ 15% resist rate on NMs.
Was this ever verified? It's reasonable to assume, based on the resist gear testing, but I can't recall ever seeing any specific testing to confirm that Pflug works the same way in regards to NMs. I would note that there are exceptions, for example while gear resist+ is nerfed on NMs, food based resist+ is not. So it is not a global mechanic.

To restore MP to yourself you would use Tenebrae runes with pulse and it'll restore somewhere between 240-300 MP.
I think you need to check you math there.

MP Restored = floor(Divine Skill÷10) × (Number of Tenebrae Runes + 1)

In my pulse set, my Master RUN has 472 divine skill.
472/10=47.2. Floor to 47. 47*4(3 runes+1)=188.

There is a bit more divine skill that could be added to my set, but there's not enough in the game to hit 240 MP per use, much less 300. (you'd need 600 divine skill, exactly, to hit 240 MP restored with 3 runes.)
Lunge] is an ability similar to Swipe except stronger.
You've got an extra bracket there. ^^

btw, I love all the "to top" links. Saves me a lot of scrolling back up. And the Table of contents makes jumping to specific sections very convenient.

Although, the Job Abilities and Merits sections don't seem to be in the table of contents.

I'm still reviewing the guide, but I thought I'd go ahead and post these as they are ready.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 10:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Was this ever verified?

I believe it was which is why I initially thought it. I remember seeing something about it. If i find the post/thread I seen it, I'll show.

I think you need to check you math there.

Ok So I did just retest and I got 204 in my set. I'll update OP. Apologies on the miscalculations.

You've got an extra bracket there. ^^

Yeah... Thats what happens trying to re-edit your own Node apparently. You wouldn't believe how many mistakes I made and had to edit. Will edit. ty

Edit: Will add the Merits/Jas to table of contents. My bad.

Edit 2: Fixed.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 11:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Was this ever verified? It's reasonable to assume, based on the resist gear testing, but I can't recall ever seeing any specific testing to confirm that Pflug works the same way in regards to NMs. I would note that there are exceptions, for example while gear resist+ is nerfed on NMs, food based resist+ is not. So it is not a global mechanic.

I have tried looking as much as I can and I believe it was an assumption I found based on resist rates from gear. So I don't think there has been testing directly on Pflug, but it is completely reasonable to assume it imo.
Having a 57% resist rate on NMs on top of gear sounds FAR too broken, so I think it's only right to assume it's halved.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-05-06 11:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I have tried looking as much as I can and I believe it was an assumption I found based on resist rates from gear. So I don't think there has been testing directly on Pflug, but it is completely reasonable to assume it imo.
Having a 57% resist rate on NMs on top of gear sounds FAR too broken, so I think it's only right to assume it's halved.
I believe it is a reasonable assumption, but I think it should either be verified before adding it to a resource like a guide, or noted that it is assumed based on other testing.

On a different note, it looks like I need to check my math too. Your pulse number seemed very odd to me,(seemed too high for the divine gear the RUN can get. Couldn't see a way to get from my set to that number.) so I went to verify the in game amount of MP I was getting.

I made a little function to report changes in my MP and test... results seemed really whacked so I locked in pulse gear, and made sure I had no refresh+ and tried again.

Text version, 224 MP recovered.
At this point I checked the wiki page again and realized that I hadn't accounted for job points. The formula on the page does not include them. May need editing...

worked the numbers again.
472/10=47.2. Floored to 47
47*1.2(job points) 56.4 floored to 56
56*4=224
This matches the in game results I was getting for 472 skill and master RUN. The job points are quite potent here. And you can get a lot closer to 240 than I thought, but it still doesn't seem to be within reach. And now your value of 203 seems too low and I again dunno how you're getting that. lol.

Btw, 224 MP every 60 seconds is 3.73 MP per second, or 11.2 Refresh per tick. That's really significant.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-05-06 12:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're on a budget, I don't think there is any reason to use pole grip unless you just can't find a duplus grip on the auction house. It's only about 50k more expensive than Pole.

You also have mensch strap in the starter tank sets, but don't have it listed in the grips section.

I'd also say starting in the mid-range DD sets, you could probably replace Ginsen with Aurgelmir orb even the NQ should outperform Ginsen in every way. Except for possibly 1 point of acc.
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-05-06 12:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I sneak in Mensch Strap +1 in the meva tanking set. It takes you to pdt cap (1 over) and I guess the little bit of regen is nice

Nice guide! One thing I would add is to really spell out for people that you can coordinate embolden with other jobs to get some great effects. You do mention it's the next enhancing spell cast ON you but I'm always shocked how many RUNs don't quite understand the implications of this.
[+]
 Asura.Trumpet
user: Trumpet
By Asura.Trumpet 2020-05-06 13:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda embarrassing to admit, but I never thought about using Embolden for Crusade. Thanks for this guide!

What's the story on the two Dim sets? Attack cap vs uncap I'm assuming, just want to clarify
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-05-06 13:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Last recommendation would be a fast cast set in the misc sets.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 13:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Last recommendation would be a fast cast set in the misc sets.

No joke I thought I had one in there. I am sorry. Will edit in.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 13:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Trumpet said: »
What's the story on the two Dim sets? Attack cap vs uncap I'm assuming, just want to clarify

So the gearsets were made by myself, and by Kanryu, so I included some of our sets as options if gear was to be swapped out in any cases.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Soyven
user: Soyven
By Ragnarok.Soyven 2020-05-06 13:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

First off, guide looks great, props.

I just noticed regen set in the misc and in the weaponskills section
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 13:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Soyven said: »

Thank you. This is the result of not taking breaks when adding gearsets. Mistakes happen lol.

Edit: Fixed
 Ragnarok.Soyven
user: Soyven
By Ragnarok.Soyven 2020-05-06 13:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Soyven said: »

Thank you. This is the result of not taking breaks when adding gearsets. Mistakes happen lol.

Lol, figured it was something like that. I Imagine you went cross eyed a few times making the guide haha
By kylespit 2020-05-06 13:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Deacon sword to Phalanx set. Label Enhancing Magic Duration set with Refresh potency. Only things off the top of my head. Good job though. Thank you
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Server: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2020-05-06 14:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks nice! One thing i might add is a HP Enmity set.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 14:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kingkitt said: »

The HP enmity set is next to the max Enmity + set.
DT/HP enmity set. If you need more HP probably swap out Defending ring for another moonbeam/light ring.
By Matic 2020-05-06 15:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the gearsets.

I like the brevity/conciseness.

There are a lot of good little one-off tips scattered around. I like these because they are practical in nature, and clearly come from experience rather than theorycraft. IMO that's the kind of thing that a lot of job guides tend to miss - what do you actually DO, on a second-to-second/minute-to-minute basis, on X job, in a group setting?

I don't love the formatting issues and general subpar grammar/sentence structure. I don't like the "voice" of the guide; it feels choppy and unfocused. But the info is all there i guess.

My only issue is, aside from gearsets and some nifty pro-tips, what's here that isn't in the 3+ other guides(which, lets be honest, have a ton of overlap already) that I've made use of? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your efforts, and it's not like I'm out there contributing anything, so who am i to talk.

It almost makes more sense to either push the brevity thing further and make it into a sort of "quick-reference" guide.

Or go the other way, and really make this the definitive RUN guide, bringing in all the info from those other guides, streamlining/repackaging it, adding to it etc (huge task)
[+]
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-05-06 15:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Appreciate it!

2 things I would add;
Accuracy sets for weapon skills
SIRD Set(s)

Thanks again!
[+]
By ksoze 2020-05-06 15:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the guide shiraj.

Was already a fan of the bg wiki stuff you did and made me try run in the first place.

Oh that and finding a good way to use my ashera from the trove :p
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Server: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2020-05-06 15:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kingkitt said: »

The HP enmity set is next to the max Enmity + set.
DT/HP enmity set. If you need more HP probably swap out Defending ring for another moonbeam/light ring.

Ah, okay. Just seen the DT Enmity set. I might suggest Unmoving Collar +1 R15.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 15:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

So with recent feedback things that will get added in the next few edits:

More sets about varierty of stuff; will list when done.
I thought I added an SiRD set in, which I did I just forgot to remove the brackets to make it visible, damnit.

Presentation of the sets. I tried my best at them at first, but this was my first Node and my first time writing a guide using BBcode and was learning on the job. I'll try improve it in the coming time for sure.

With recent updates to Unity augments, I've often forgot they are a thing and I will 100% update any set with any R15 UNM piece which has replaced it. Any set that has any UNM piece in that has R15 was more than likely from Kanryu and not myself.
Matic said: »
My only issue is, aside from gearsets and some nifty pro-tips, what's here that isn't in the 3+ other guides(which, lets be honest, have a ton of overlap already) that I've made use of? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your efforts, and it's not like I'm out there contributing anything, so who am i to talk.

It almost makes more sense to either push the brevity thing further and make it into a sort of "quick-reference" guide.

That's one of the points of this guide.
I made my rune fencer guide on BG as an extension of Ruaumoko's guide, but didn't want his guide to be rendered useless so I kept it exclusively with some content, but not others.

Then I noticed Prothescar's guide was 3+ years outdated and decided we should try get updated sets.

I'm not sure about the Community guide on BG, I believe that was Spicy doing his usual guides on the jobs he plays, which you can't complain, still really helpful.

TL:DR This guide should sum all other guides up in 1 in hopes less website browsing to do. It is in the process with recent feedback ofc. I've missed some stuff off and I don't know if it was from being overwhelmed with stuff to do in creating this guide or not, but looking back I have forgotten simple stuff. Changes will definitely come without a doubt.
 Bismarck.Reaperofsoul
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Reaperofsoul 2020-05-06 17:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Good guide, Ty.. Mind adding in a enhancing set for temper though?
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 17:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Reaperofsoul said: »

Temper would fall under Max enhancing skill in the Misc section. I'll make a note of the spells used for it.
 Asura.Aller
user: AsAller
By Asura.Aller 2020-05-06 18:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What is PC_Fastcast? Did you mean HP?
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-05-06 18:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aller said: »
What is PC_Fastcast? Did you mean HP?
The way Kanryu named some sets, I presume PC means Precast as some sets are called MC.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-05-06 20:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Reaperofsoul said: »

Temper would fall under Max enhancing skill in the Misc section. I'll make a note of the spells used for it.

There isnt a Max Enhancing Skill set in the misc section.

Edit:

ItemSet 372883

Should be 551 enhancing skill.
 Carbuncle.Beirmos
Server: Carbuncle
user: Bongyogha
By Carbuncle.Beirmos 2020-05-06 23:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like Sir AgE breaking his own rule DONT's Try flex Epeen by creating a guide that is not complete & pushes your own ego brahraji! Already getting shredded apart on forums & across so many shells discords today inc my crew HA! Maybe delete post entirely & restart?

FYI YALL BAN WAVE COMING SOON (~5/24-6/2)!!!! Who's NEXT???!!!
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-05-07 00:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Beirmos said: »
Looks like Sir AgE breaking his own rule DONT's Try flex Epeen by creating a guide that is not complete & pushes your own ego brahraji! Already getting shredded apart on forums & across so many shells discords today inc my crew HA! Maybe delete post entirely & restart?

FYI YALL BAN WAVE COMING SOON (~5/24-6/2)!!!! Who's NEXT???!!!
You alright there bud?
[+]
First Page 2 ... 13 14 15