users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Treasure Hunter Demystified
Treasure Hunter Demystified
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Shichishito 2020-03-11 22:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
it would be unfair otherwise
not necessarily, if you were after the dingir ring instead of the ashera harness and you'd know TH would skew the chances in favor of the harness you could simply not tag it with TH at all i guess.

fonewear said: »
I could make a chart to show you are full of ***. But I think you already know that.
i always assumed but never was really sure about it. please make a chart, i need certainty!
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2020-03-12 07:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
not necessarily, if you were after the dingir ring instead of the ashera harness and you'd know TH would skew the chances in favor of the harness you could simply not tag it with TH at all i guess.

Except there are other people involved, someone wants the Harness, someone wants the ring, and someone, who already has everything, just needs a bunch of scales.

Raising the distribution for one item lowers the distribution for the rest which is effectively penalizing some over others. This is why loot tables are static everywhere they are implemented.

Personally I think loot tables for gear are extremely unfair and shouldn't be used. They are fine for crafting materials or other such ingredients but there shouldn't be a single "gear slot" that has all the stuff you want, including a bunch of stuff you don't want, inside it. Each gear item should be rolled on separately, but alas SE isn't fair to the player at all.
By Drayco 2020-03-12 08:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember, this is a monthly subscription game. They can't make things easily accessible or people will stop playing faster.

FF14 really has this figured out. Things are stupid easy to obtain, but everything just becomes obsolete every single update.

I honestly hate that about 14, but it's probably because of my time here on 11. FFXI really promotes attachment to equipment. I still have my storage completely stuffed with nostalgic items.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2020-04-13 07:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

the idea with drop chance tied to the duration the mob was alive is interesting but in practice wouldn't prevent ppl camping cause they'd still prefer a very tiny chance over the uncertainty if they ever get a shot, especially once you bring bot automation into play.

if you insist on NM camping and wanted to make the odds more fair you'd have to increase the drop chance for each player that participated each time they leave empty handed. possibly also make it spawn in closer vicinity each time the player doesn't get the claim.

even then some would create multiple accounts to get a unfair advantage and you'd have to come up with another mechanice to counter that.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [53 days between previous and next post]
By Heghmoh 2020-06-05 18:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Positng here because I'm trying to understand TH procs (vs TH drop rates)

I understand there is a base cap on TH of +8. But, reading this dev post http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/27974-TH-Procing?p=377001#post377001 and the bg wiki:

Quote:
Upgrading TH levels from normal attack rounds is inversely proportional to the difference between your current TH level in trait/gear and the monster's current TH level.

SO, my question is. Does TH hard cap at 8? or is that just the base cap applicable on a mob, but if you have TH+14 in gear, you have a significantly better chance of upgrading TH from 8 to 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-05 18:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Starting point is hard capped at 8 (not counting special effects)

More TH+ while meleeing translates to higher chance of upgrade from 8>9>10>14
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2020-06-05 23:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What I'm hearing is get my friends to wear the below, so we proc TH:14 in six~ attack rounds? Or does TH toward upgrading also hard cap @8?
ItemSet 371020
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-06-06 00:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait wait wait, was that tested? is that what they said? I had been laboring under the impression that anything higher than TH8 wouldn't do anything for trying to raise TH levels, oof.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-06-06 00:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

We don't know that to be the case. All we know is TH in gear caps at 8. There is no indication that wearing 9, 10, 12 etc TH will speed up the growth of treasure Hunter procs anymore than wearing 8 in TH gear would. I mean we ASSUME it would because why the hell is there so much TREASURE HUNTER gear available if only 8 is needed.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-06-06 04:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
What I'm hearing is get my friends to wear the below, so we proc TH:14 in six~ attack rounds? Or does TH toward upgrading also hard cap @8?

You're giving way too much credit to the theory and overestimating its potency by miles. I ran some tests a while back and there was an indication that wearing more than TH 8 in gear did affect proc rate, but it was a very minimal increase. In roughly 700 attacks the average treasure hunter level was only +1 or +2 higher in the sample set I wore TH + 14 in than the set I wore TH + 8 in. We're talking about average differences of TH + 10 - 11 versus TH + 11 - 13 after 700 swings.

Now to put this in perspective, when I run a whole wave 2 and wave 3 dynamis D farm my total number of swings for the entire run is consistently in the 5300-6000 range, trending more towards the higher end if we fight the wave 3 zone boss and more toward the lower end if it's a pure farm run. This is over the course of hundreds of mobs. You won't see procs increase in any noticeable fashion wearing TH + 14 rather than just TH + 8.

TL:DR Stick with TH + 8 in your equip sets. The only content that can arguably be worth wearing TH + 14 in is on time gated content like omen fodder farming runs for stalwarts, and even that is super suuuuper iffy. Nothing else really benefits from wearing TH + 14 over TH + 8. Dynamis mobs and trash mobs in any other content die so fast it's completely irrelevant, and even when we're talking about HTBF fights like lillith it would be more productive to wear TH + 8 and kill faster and just get more runs in than drag out a single fight trying to proc more. Balancing quantity of kills versus quality of TH proc is a thing, and the rate of increase from wearing more TH gear than 8 is just too marginal to have a real impact on drops.
[+]
By Heghmoh 2020-06-06 07:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:
The only content that can arguably be worth wearing TH + 14 in is on time gated content like omen fodder farming runs for stalwarts, and even that is super suuuuper iffy.

My main reason for asking is I run Divergence weekly with a group of other player farming volte in w2 then astals in w3. we have no issue completing in time, so considering bringign a TH THF just to apply TH (no need to contribute to damage).
 Fenrir.Melphina
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-06-06 07:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You should always have a thief or two in Dynamis Divergence for treasure hunter. That's a given. There's just no reason to ask them to wear anything higher than TH 8 because it won't affect drops at all. There just isn't enough time to raise treasure hunter significantly when the mobs die so fast. TH 8 is your baseline, and anything beyond that is icing on the cake. I still proc TH 9, 10, and even 11 on NM's mind you. But proc rates have a lot of randomness to them, and it's a complete waste of time to gear for anything beyond what's guaranteed. I fulltime my plunderer's armlets +3 and I use perfect taming offhand. That's enough to max out TH, and that's the kind of setup you want.

Quote:
SO, my question is. Does TH hard cap at 8? or is that just the base cap applicable on a mob, but if you have TH+14 in gear, you have a significantly better chance of upgrading TH from 8 to 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14?

My data showed that more treasure hunter gear provided only a small bonus to proc rates, not a significant one. Like I said, on average I got in 700 swings on the same mob and it only resulted in 1 or 2 proc levels higher. You're lucky if you get more than half a dozen swings on generic trash mobs, and you'll probably get a few dozen off on most NMs before they run out of HP and die. So there's no point sacrificing your damage for it with all kinds of sub standard gear like the current iteration of empyrean feet if you don't have to.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-06 10:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to clarify, the hard cap of initial TH is TH8 and includes gear+ tier3 from thf.

So 3(trait)+ 5(gear) is a glass ceiling for initial application.

So those that don't use weapons for TH.

3(trait) + 4(hands) + 1(chaacbelt) will do this... If you want to increase from th8>14.. the more in gear you wear will increase the odds of a proc.

This is a common gearset for people that don't want to lock their daggers to TH.

ItemSet 373561
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-06-06 10:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
Wait wait wait, was that tested? is that what they said? I had been laboring under the impression that anything higher than TH8 wouldn't do anything for trying to raise TH levels, oof.
When I parsed the raising of TH level, there was a very distinct proc rate change when meleeing with TH+3 and TH+6. Bear in mind, this was nearly a decade ago when TH+6 was the max in gear.

I dont believe anyone has tested if overgearing TH in 2020 will lead to a higher proc rate above the soft cap of TH8.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-06 10:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
When I parsed the raising of TH level, there was a very distinct proc rate change when meleeing with TH+3 and TH+6. Bear in mind, this was nearly a decade ago when TH+6 was the max in gear.

I dont believe anyone has tested if overgearing TH in 2020 will lead to a higher proc rate above the soft cap of TH8.

Im very certain this is exactly what Melphina did. And concluded that anything above 8 is easier to PROC the higher your TH compared to the current TH proc on the mob.

mob(th8) and you(th8) will be harder to proc than mob(th8) and you (th9+)... and its all relative to the mob(TH-X) level.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-06 10:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

Im very certain this is exactly what Melphina did. And concluded that anything above 8 is easier to PROC the higher your TH compared to the current TH proc on the mob.

mob(th8) and you(th8) will be harder to proc than mob(th8) and you (th9+)... and its all relative to the mob(TH-X) level.
kreek said: »
Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
Just to clarify, the hard cap of initial TH is TH8 and includes gear+ tier3 from thf.

So 3(trait)+ 5(gear) is a glass ceiling for initial application.

So those that don't use weapons for TH.

3(trait) + 4(hands) + 1(chaacbelt) will do this... If you want to increase from th8>14.. the more in gear you wear will increase the odds of a proc.

This is a common gearset for people that don't want to lock their daggers to TH.

ItemSet 373561
Making hands+3 is a waste of money. Better to use feet +1 and hands+1 IMO

I mean thats relative as well. Sure if you are proccing only. If you want to do harder things as melee THF there are many benefits to the +3 hands outside of the TH proc.

**edit. the set posted above is fulltime melee TP set. Not a proc and change set.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-06-06 10:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, I personally just use +3 hands and offhand sandung to get th8 in my tp set (perfect sari offhand if you're luckier than I am or gandring if you're richer than I am I guess)
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-06 11:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ewww
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-06 11:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
I mean, I personally just use +3 hands and offhand sandung to get th8 in my tp set (perfect sari offhand if you're luckier than I am or gandring if you're richer than I am I guess)

That works. I use the set above because i use two distinct dagger combinations

vajra+twash or twash+tauret depending the mob.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-06 11:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

there are many benefits to the +3 hands outside of the TH proc.
Tell me more...

You need help comparing a +1 version to a +3 version?

Go back to bed troll.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-06-06 11:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I gotcha. I just wish I could get TH-tagging gearswap functionality to work and then I could just not worry about it :x
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-06 11:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

THtag is prebuilt into every thf gs I've ever seen. There's no getting it to work
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-06 11:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
I gotcha. I just wish I could get TH-tagging gearswap functionality to work and then I could just not worry about it :x

You're best bet is to post your LUA and let the SME's take a gander.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-06 13:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

there are many benefits to the +3 hands outside of the TH proc.
Tell me more...

You need help comparing a +1 version to a +3 version?

Go back to bed troll.
No, I need you to tell me what their benefits are beyond TH proccing. There's no need to try and offend me because you can't justify your point.

Are you pretending meleeing in Relic+3 feet (while using a trash belt) makes you do noticeably more damage, or what? I don't get it. (HINT: your damage is irrelevant, noone cares if you do 0.01% more damage while TH proccing)

Ok time to take on an ilvl troll I guess. This topic isn't about DPS.

The argument you quoted was about the hands slot; you've moved onto the foot slot I see.

If you can't understand the benefits of 2 pieces of gear that are +3 over two pieces of gear that are +1... I'm not even going to crunch any stat differences because typing this is already more effort than the community needs.

I'm now going to see back and let you crunch how the +1 is seemingly equal.... HINT (if your thf is laying on the floor dead you aren't increasing any proc rates, fool) and before you mention initial hit risk of death bla bla bla.... this is a 0.01% discussion as you determined.

Do as you wish, I will suggest as I wish. Please do not comment on my things anymore. You add zero value to these forums, and probably outside of them in some areas as well..
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-06 13:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 373561

I'm even going to quote myself staying on topic. You enjoy arguing with yourself about which slot you're even being emo about...

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7