The Perfect Solution To The Pet Distance Problem

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » The perfect solution to the pet distance problem
The perfect solution to the pet distance problem
First Page 2
 Shiva.Malthar
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2020-03-01 16:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Add a new job ability called "Leash" ( /jobability leash <me> ).

It has a two-hour duration and a recast of five minutes.
When used, the pet will stay in command range. If you move out of melee range the pet will move with you. If you move into melee range the pet will get into melee range and melee with you.

sic/ready/spur commands will work as long as you're fighting the same monster and in melee range. And with leash active, the pet will always fight the mob you're fighting and will not wander. Reward will work whether in or out of melee range.

When leash is off, the pet will operate as it usually does.

Someone post this suggestion on the official forums because I can't. I'm banned for complaining about bst. x.x
I'm looking at you, Oz.
By Crossbones 2020-03-01 16:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't matter, still gonna be out of range.

Get *** BST!

-SE
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2020-03-01 16:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
Doesn't matter, still gonna be out of range.

Get *** BST!

-SE

Did you actually read the suggestion?
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-01 16:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This was suggested even before the range nerf (I think, i'm not certain on the date). "more or less" emphatic no because "wild animals"

But that's never stopped anyone from trying again, just letting you know

It was more inline with pets attacking random mobs, but it's basically the same thing, pet running away to hit something else and/or being out of range.
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2020-03-01 16:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
This was suggested even before the range nerf (I think, i'm not certain on the date). "more or less" emphatic no because "wild animals"

But that's never stopped anyone from trying again, just letting you know

You can put a "leash" on a wild animal to prevent it from straying. I remember the suggestion. It didn't have the leash mechanic, though. That's what is different. "Leash" will prevent it from straying and cause the pet to attack what you're attacking.
By Crossbones 2020-03-01 16:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I did read the suggestion. That's why what I said was a satirical joke and not a serious statement. I'm saying no matter how good of an idea anyone comes up with SE will ***on it anyways cause *** BST! - SE
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2020-03-01 17:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
Yes I did read the suggestion. That's why what I said was a satirical joke and not a serious statement. I'm saying no matter how good of an idea anyone comes up with SE will ***on it anyways cause *** BST! - SE

Well, keep suggesting till they run out of ***.
[+]
By janeash123 2020-03-05 10:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The distance thing is the main issue that is keeping me from trying pet pulling on wave 3 dynamis D circles. We have a group that exclusively uses pup for this use and it saves tons of time.
 Bismarck.Rwolf
Server: Bismarck
user: Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-03-05 12:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I applaud the passion. At that point, it would be less complicated to just delete all AI logic and have jug pets act like a DRGs wyvern. The easiest solution is the simplest, revert it because it's not overpowered or exploitative.
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2020-03-08 11:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rwolf said: »
I applaud the passion. At that point, it would be less complicated to just delete all AI logic and have jug pets act like a DRGs wyvern. The easiest solution is the simplest, revert it because it's not overpowered or exploitative.

But SE is stubborn and don't want to admit that they were wrong. Instead, they give us abilities that are *still* affected by the range nerf. x.x

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."
 Asura.Xenorex
user: Xenorex
By Asura.Xenorex 2020-03-28 21:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously, can’t some smart coder out there write us a plug in that allows us to send pet commands from any distance? I’m specifically asking for something completely illegal. Let me command a pet from 100 Yalms or more. *** SE
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-28 21:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still surprised there isn't a packet override lua for it yet
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-03-28 22:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't 'override' anything that the server verifies, and despite the vast amount of mistakes the default is still for the server to verify. Besides, gearswap uses packets directly to begin with, so if that doesn't do the trick it's unlikely anything else will.

(You could technically modify your position packet to be identical to your mob's position without POSing your actual char.. but you'd have some quicksilver-esque flashing around going on for everyone else since you'd be effectively teleporting to your mob every time you commanded it..)
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-28 22:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

it wouldn't look any different than a blink from changing gear or any less suspect than moving during a ws animation... or sliding on the ground while dead lol
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-03-28 22:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd appear on top of your monster for 1/3 second then back where you were before. It'd look a whole lot different than changing gear.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-28 22:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

bst/drg "I used jump"
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-03-28 22:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

and while we are at it lets couple react with POSing and teleport out of range each time a mob uses a weaponskill.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-28 22:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
and while we are at it lets couple react with POSing and teleport out of range each time a mob uses a weaponskill.

Bruh, react already will run you out of range if you want it to, turn your speed up high enough and it'll look like a teleport!
 Shiva.Siviard
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-03-28 22:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Xenorex said: »
Seriously, can’t some smart coder out there write us a plug in that allows us to send pet commands from any distance? I’m specifically asking for something completely illegal. Let me command a pet from 100 Yalms or more. *** SE

Basically this. *** SE and their attitude towards BST.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2020-03-28 22:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean pups basically can do so from an entire zone away so why not?
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-03-29 14:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
I mean pups basically can do so from an entire zone away so why not?

SE wants pup to be an autonomous thing where the master and pet act independently of each other, where as they want bst to act in unison with their pet.

Trying to force bst to fight a mob with the pet is largely thematically fine, the range is just not good enough for large *** mobs, and is too short to fit the thematic without feeling like ***. If the bst and pet are both attacking the same mob and you cant use pet abilities, SE *** something up.
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2020-03-29 15:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The perfect solution to the pet distance problem is to go level SMN. if you're pissed you have to be front row and melee alongside your crab, you're doing it wrong.
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-03-29 16:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Frod said: »
The perfect solution to the pet distance problem is to go level SMN. if you're pissed you have to be front row and melee alongside your crab, you're doing it wrong.

Please just stop repeating SE's convoluted, nonsensical assertions.

They (and you) are framing the situation as front-line vs back-line and that's not the issue. Players who understand the issue, know that job ability activation is wholly inconsistent due to the way that the 10-yalm distance restriction is calculated (without regard for player/mob model size).

Playing Beastmaster with a rabbit against a larger mob is akin to playing with a broken controller.

Edit: Yes, I know the distance restriction is SE's attempt at stopping 20-yalm Pet Unleash spam...and in doing so, they nerf'ed the job into the ground.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-03-29 17:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

guys, its Frod. he lives to troll.

don't feed him.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-03-29 18:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

man I was expecting this to be some kireek thread about how social distancing isn't necessary.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-03-29 20:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Xenorex
user: Xenorex
By Asura.Xenorex 2020-03-30 16:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah brah, I tried that, leveled PUP too, tried playing them for awhile. Even tried using similar tactics I had used and had so much fun with on bst for the prior decade. It sucked, they’re not as fun as bst to me, but I found the perfect solution. I uninstalled the game and canceled and stopped paying all three of my accounts. Now I play elite dangerous when the kids are asleep and Minecraft if we play together. Weird all my builds in Minecraft look like something out of ffxi, hard to shake this game, but SE clearly doesn’t want bst players, so like so many others, I’m out.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-03-30 16:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

them for awhile. Even tried using similar tactics I had used and had so much fun with on bst for the prior decade. It sucked, they’re not as fun as bst to me, but I found the perfect solution. I uninstalled the game and canceled and stopped paying all three of my accounts. Now I play elite dangerous when the kids are asleep and Minecraft if we play

I mean, the nerf was fine thematically. SE doesnt want the bst to not engage and fight with the pets. Thats fine. If you dont like that idea, then the overall design of bst really wasnt for you, given the other 2 pet jobs do do that, and do it well.

The only issue with the range nerf is that you can be attacking a mob with your pet, and be "out of range" and unable to use your abilities.
[+]
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-03-30 16:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

SE clearly doesn’t want bst players, so like so many others, I’m out.

Damn, one of the true Beastmaster OGs is gone. *** SE.
[+]
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-03-30 16:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
them for awhile. Even tried using similar tactics I had used and had so much fun with on bst for the prior decade. It sucked, they’re not as fun as bst to me, but I found the perfect solution. I uninstalled the game and canceled and stopped paying all three of my accounts. Now I play elite dangerous when the kids are asleep and Minecraft if we play

I mean, the nerf was fine thematically. SE doesnt want the bst to not engage and fight with the pets. Thats fine. If you dont like that idea, then the overall design of bst really wasnt for you, given the other 2 pet jobs do do that, and do it well.

The only issue with the range nerf is that you can be attacking a mob with your pet, and be "out of range" and unable to use your abilities.

We've BEGGED the Dev. Team on the Official Forums to fix this yet they refuse to do so. That's why BSTs are so angry and are either playing other jobs or just quitting altogether.
[+]
First Page 2