The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 242 243 244
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-07-15 13:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So easy to test. Someone take the bait and do the work for me.
 Asura.Bronzequadav
Server: Asura
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bronzequadav 2024-07-15 13:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Also if you read the rest of my post, I already linked Long_horned's X thread

Probably should of done that.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-07-15 13:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to fix that Germany resistance typo

Also if you read the rest of my post, I already linked Long_horned's X thread
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-07-16 08:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
As for a reproducible test that can show the extra stat bonus applying at the buff/debuff stage, I've already touched on it but I'll lay out all the steps.

1) Fight an Apex or Locus Crab/Crawler to find its unbuffed/undebuffed DEF value. Ranged attacks are easiest, a GEO and a COR should be enough for this since they don't have Germany resistance.

2) Let them put up Cocoon/Scissor Guard. The resulting impact on ratio should match the expected value of just the def buff and def debuff(s) being applied to base defense. It's easier to do this with a single, easy to digest Defense Down value (Angon 25%, Tenebral Crush 20%, etc) or a combination thst gets you an exact, easy to use number like 50%. Cocoon and Scissor Guard are both 100% DEF bonuses.

3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 on Ayapec or Emperor Arthro. This time, you'll notice that the resultant damage doesn't align with a 100% Defense Bonus and [your defense down potency here]. The effect of defense down will seemingly be halved. (This would work on Centurio XX-I as well, but I don't know the potency of Sand Veil offhand).

I am not doubting the results of your test. But, it has no relevance to Odyssey or Sortie, as far as I'm concerned. You're still talking about mobs in areas with level correction.
Presumably, the modifiers being used are specifically in place to offset the mobs being coded as lv99.

Is there any data to indicate that scaling content without level correction has the same issue, anywhere? It seems pretty clear that Sheol A-C do not have level correction, given the level of segment farm monsters and their damage taken. Do you have anything to indicate that Sheol-Gaol has level correction or that Gaol bosses are coded as lv99?

I do not have immediate data to disprove your theory, but it's a novel claim and I do not see any support for it either. We have already accepted that a geomancy nerf exists, and I have not seen any claims to indicate that it does not fully explain our experiences with ratio. I think that since you're the one proposing a novel idea with no backing, the burden of proof should fall upon you.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-07-16 09:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Do you have anything to indicate that Sheol-Gaol has level correction or that Gaol bosses are coded as lv99?

I agree that more testing needs to be done to prove Gaol NMs work this way, but you misunderstand. This isn't my claim. Gaol NMs are clearly not lv99 or else you wouldn't be able to tank them. My claim is that they are repurposing the same type of stat bonus system to scale V0-25 without having to make 25 different versions of each NM. The UNM test is simply to prove that such a thing can exist and establish that as the baseline. Again, you can still claim that it's just debuff resistance or something but my model lines up well after you analyze the interaction of DEF ups/downs with my proposed stat adjustment system.

I don't have 6 characters to do the test with myself I will have to find some people willing to spend a few hours doing it with me. These NMs have high enough stats that doing it with just 3 wouldn't be sufficient evidence.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-07-16 09:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

My claim is that they are using the same type of stat bonus system to scale V0-25 without having to make 25 different versions of each
NM. The UNM test is simply to prove that such a thing can exist and establish that as the baseline. Again, you can still claim that it's just debuff resistance or something but my model lines up well after you analyze the interaction of DEF ups/downs with my proposed stat adjustment system.

I understand your claim, but they already have a stat adjustment system they can use to do 25 different versions: level. My assumption is that the reason unity NMs have a secondary stat bonus system in place is because they are not able to use level to tweak their stats automatically. If they are creating an automatic scaling buff where each V level adds a bit to it, presumably they can also set the NMs per level scaling the same way and adjust level. The buff model doesn't provide any benefit here.

Ultimately, your model isn't impossible, but there's been no testing to indicate a reduction to any defense debuffs besides frailty. It isn't impossible that nobody has noticed this, but I would say it is quite a stretch to claim your model is accurate without proving that data point.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-07-17 23:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I'm could have sworn I saw a Twitter post from JP where they gave all A3 boss attributes and stats. I'll try to find it

Ok I was way off. Must've been misremembering where I read the information. Only thing I could find was Geriond's estimation a few months ago, unless he's posted it even before then

Asura.Geriond said: »
I did a rough test of V25 Kalunga a long time ago (taking into account the native DT), and from what I remember the defense was somewhere around 3000-3500.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-07-18 03:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

since they don't have Germany resistance.
Damn, third reich gonna conquer all of us then!
[+]
By K123 2024-07-18 06:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm could have sworn I saw a Twitter post from JP where they gave all A3 boss attributes and stats. I'll try to find it

Ok I was way off. Must've been misremembering where I read the information. Only thing I could find was Geriond's estimation a few months ago, unless he's posted it even before then

Asura.Geriond said: »
I did a rough test of V25 Kalunga a long time ago (taking into account the native DT), and from what I remember the defense was somewhere around 3000-3500.
If it's a simple 3000-3500 you should be easily able to tell the difference between Armor Break + Dia3 being -45% defense and if that is halved to 22.5%.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-07-18 08:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Most informative asks are simple tests

It's not fun to just do it and find the answer, when you can *** and fight about it though.

Always overcomplicate it into thinking you need to know exactly how it works when the thing you need is just a yes/no. You only need to know the relative difference of A vs B

You can see the answer with literally 2 bullets. Before and after each (Xdebuff/buff) If you can finally hit the same number after a buff/debuff work backwards. Takes longer to type the answer, than to find the answer.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-07-18 09:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Most informative asks are simple tests

It's not fun to just do it and find the answer, when you can *** and fight about it though.

Always overcomplicate it into thinking you need to know exactly how it works when the thing you need is just a yes/no. You only need to know the relative difference of A vs B

You can see the answer with literally 2 bullets. Before and after each (Xdebuff/buff) If you can finally hit the same number after a buff/debuff work backwards. Takes longer to type the answer, than to find the answer.

@Eiryl could have provided the answer twice in the time it took him to type this....
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-07-18 19:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

My claim is that they are using the same type of stat bonus system to scale V0-25 without having to make 25 different versions of each
NM. The UNM test is simply to prove that such a thing can exist and establish that as the baseline. Again, you can still claim that it's just debuff resistance or something but my model lines up well after you analyze the interaction of DEF ups/downs with my proposed stat adjustment system.

I understand your claim, but they already have a stat adjustment system they can use to do 25 different versions: level. My assumption is that the reason unity NMs have a secondary stat bonus system in place is because they are not able to use level to tweak their stats automatically. If they are creating an automatic scaling buff where each V level adds a bit to it, presumably they can also set the NMs per level scaling the same way and adjust level. The buff model doesn't provide any benefit here.

Ultimately, your model isn't impossible, but there's been no testing to indicate a reduction to any defense debuffs besides frailty. It isn't impossible that nobody has noticed this, but I would say it is quite a stretch to claim your model is accurate without proving that data point.

Ummm V0 and V25 are the exact same level...

You can use MobLevel to see it.
https://github.com/DiscipleOfEris/MobLevel

Btw that addon is absolutely amazing
By K123 2024-07-19 04:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What is that level? 135 or 145?
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-07-19 07:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
I didn't realize you could use widescan there. It's still tangental, the only real takeaway here is an argument that defense- may be less effective because they may use a modifier applied alongside buff calculations in place of actually modifying the mobs' stats on spawn.

To prove either, the obvious first step is to demonstrate the effect on defense-(which is why it was brought up in the first place). Anything else is a waste of time. It's also the only practical difference. It doesn't matter how they implement it server side unless it collides with battle mechanics in a way that alters strategy.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-07-19 08:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't realize you could use widescan there. It's still tangental, the only real takeaway here is an argument that defense- may be less effective because they may use a modifier applied alongside buff calculations in place of actually modifying the mobs' stats on spawn.

To prove either, the obvious first step is to demonstrate the effect on defense-(which is why it was brought up in the first place). Anything else is a waste of time. It's also the only practical difference. It doesn't matter how they implement it server side unless it collides with battle mechanics in a way that alters strategy.

We already know they gave a stat bonus per Vengeance Level, it's believed to be +4 stat per level. Ongo V0 has 345 INT, V25 has 445 INT, the other stats are much harder to nail down precisely. We know the level doesn't change but it gets an additional +1% SDT per vengeance level. It's attack and defense goes up with each vengeance level, hard to nail down precisely but it's quite easy to see in effect.

Taking all this into consideration, the most likely conclusion is that the Gaol boss's simply get a bonus buff based off VL along with fight mechanics changes.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-07-19 08:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
What is that level? 135 or 145?

The T3's are Level 134, I think Bumba is ~140, the rest are lower. The reason V0 is easy is that their base stats are not high to begin with. The crazy VL bonus's they get plus the adds, ridiculous regen and SJ lockout combine to make the fights annoying.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-07-19 09:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Taking all this into consideration, the most likely conclusion is that the Gaol boss's simply get a bonus buff based off VL along with fight mechanics changes.

I'm not sure if you actually went back and read the discussion, but Prothescar's theory was as follows:

-Gaol Vengeance stat buffs are applied as a percentage modifier calculated in real time.
-As a result, defense+ from the stat buff is calculated in the same step as defense- from player debuffs, causing a reduction in value to defense-.

For example, if the defense buff at V20 is +20%, a defense-25% ability would really be reducing 120% to 95%, rather than 100% to 75%. This would be a substantial reduction to the potency of debuffs, if it were true.

It does not particularly matter if the server code is directly altering the stats in the mob's class instance, or if they are giving it a buff container to hold the stat change. They have the same result to the user, and we have no way of distinguishing which. However, if the stat change is directly conflicting with debuffs, that changes how we should value those debuffs. That would be actionable information.

Again, this is Prothescar's theory, not mine. I am stating that it's pointless to debate about how it's coded, the only thing that actually matters is whether it's conflicting with debuffs.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-07-19 09:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah we know their stats scale, the problem is we don't know exactly how it works for atk/def and I don't have the numbers he's asking for as evidence to show how/how much, nor the resources to collect those numbers (it isnt as simple as eiryl thinks to prove how this works, which is the question that needs to be answered).

The reason we don't have a glossary of stats for these NMs is because of how time intensive it is to collect the data, the fact you can't just do it yourself, and the fact that entering these fights isn't free.

To show how the stat scaling works (specifically DEF in this case) requires finding the VIT and DEF of an NM at one V lvl (like 5), then observing the effect on DEF down once you have those numbers to work with. Then repeat again at a higher V level (like 10) to show that the effect on DEF down changed, and by how much. A third sample would let you extrapolate the per level stat bonus, assuming it's linear. Simply showing that they have a DEF bonus isn't helpful, all it does is help.prove my position which benefits no one. I want to collect concrete numbers that can be used for damage calculation.
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2024-07-19 09:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
For example, if the defense buff at V20 is +20%, a defense-25% ability would really be reducing 120% to 95%, rather than 100% to 75%. This would be a substantial reduction to the potency of debuffs, if it were true.

Even if it did work this way it wouldn't change strategies any would it? You would still want that -25% defense defbuff even if the coding made it less effective simply because the alternative is fighting through 120% defense which is so much worse. The established method for killing each of these mobs is pretty standard now. From personal experience I wouldn't be surprised if it did work the way Prothescar suggested, because these fights have very high DPS checks, but there are only so many tools available for us to overcome them, and the optimized strategies have already been figured out.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-07-19 09:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Doubt it would change any strategies, the entire reason I brought this up to begin with is because someone was talking about testing for Gaol NM DEF stats, and to get their actual DEF stats we need to know how their bonus stats work/scale.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-07-19 09:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know that it'd change strategies in that you'd use any defense- you have available, but it might change the perceived value of certain jobs and give reason to examine other setups. The entire discussion stemmed from people questioning their base defense values, and you can't get those without understanding what factors modify it.

Ultimately, more information is still a win for the curious. I've had all of my V25 wins for ages, I expect you and Prothescar have as well. We're here discussing because we find it interesting. If you learn something new and it doesn't change the way you fight, you aren't worse off.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-07-19 09:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people are interested in knowing DEF values mostly for PDL reasons and to plug them into DPS calculators.

It might help to know they have 3500 DEF so you can calculate if you have 7800 ATK and they have -35% DEF down, you know you're attack capped or not. Could change songs (possible use of Aria), gear sets, etc.

I think people are interested to know for these reasons, not necessarily to change the entire strategy ala which jobs are used.
By Dodik 2024-07-19 10:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Once again, it seems that the percentage of people with v25 clears is grossly overestimated.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-07-19 10:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The percentage of people with V25 clears in the XI playerbase might be overestimated, but the percentage of people who post on this forum who have V25 clears is going to be comparatively high and is the metric being referenced here. More importantly, the information being discussed is much more important for the people who are still going for Gaol clears than the people who have already cleared it so I don't even know what your point is.
 Fenrir.Ahlen
Server: Fenrir
user: Ahlen
By Fenrir.Ahlen 2024-07-19 11:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't think v25 has crazy high defense its more the WS wall + 25 % DT. For example on Mboze we have dia 2 + tenebral crush and we gained a lot from Aria without having a geo. I don't think our attack was over 6k.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-07-19 11:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

-Gaol Vengeance stat buffs are applied as a percentage modifier calculated in real time.
-As a result, defense+ from the stat buff is calculated in the same step as defense- from player debuffs, causing a reduction in value to defense-.

It wouldn't matter, these are all multiplicative.

Base Defense: 1000
Defense Buff: 20%
Defense Debuff: 25%

1000 * 1.20 * 0.75 = 900

But you are not comparing Defense before buffs to Defense post debuffs, but defense post buffs to defense post debuffs.

1000 * 1.20 = 1200 (without 25% defense down)
1200 * 0.75 = 900 (with 25% defense down)

If someone is trying to argue that the defense bonus to added to the attack buffs in the same term? I do not think anything else works this way, ie Cocoon vs Frailty.
 Fenrir.Ahlen
Server: Fenrir
user: Ahlen
By Fenrir.Ahlen 2024-07-19 12:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

defense down / defense up are additive same term. For example when you have the formor defense down thats crazy high - % def you can counter it with barrier. Same with berserk / defender.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-07-19 12:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

these are all multiplicative.

false.

If a monster has a +50% innate defense buff, and then uses a 25% defense buff, it doesnt get 1.5 × 1.25 defense, it gets 1.75x defense. a 25% defense down brings that to 1.5x instead of 1.40625x. That's why this matters, and it's why having this type of innate stat boost appears to reduce DEF down potency when in reality it isn't actively reducing anything, it's just a consequence of how the math works
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-07-19 13:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

these are all multiplicative.

false.

If a monster has a +50% innate defense buff, and then uses a 25% defense buff, it doesnt get 1.5 × 1.25 defense, it gets 1.75x defense. a 25% defense down brings that to 1.5x instead of 1.40625x. That's why this matters, and it's why having this type of innate stat boost appears to reduce DEF down potency when in reality it isn't actively reducing anything, it's just a consequence of how the math works

We know bonus's are added together in a term, I thought debuffs were added into their own separate term. Went to dig around and can find no reference to any sort of testing, so likely buried on BG math?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-07-19 13:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

it's out there somewhere, can also verify it via the methods I posted on the last page or with BST pets who have native species boosts to their stats (they work the same way) if you're skeptical
First Page 2 3 ... 242 243 244