The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 131 132 133 ... 242 243 244
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-05-21 16:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Were you also doing the aslyum thing? That seems a whole lot easier to detect and ban for

If songs > 5: ban dude
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-21 16:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
For all players are aware, this is standard Gaol behavior and nobody would know it's illegitimate unless they came out and told us.
While there is nothing in-game stating that it's not legitimate, no sane player would have thought it normal just from context.

It'd be like if SE released a new sword with Additional Effect: Fire damage, and when a player tries it out it does 99,999 per hit. Sure, there's nothing explicitly stating SE didn't do that on purpose, but it breaks the common sense rule in half entirely.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-21 16:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

XxArkelosxX said: »
Whole static group got nailed with it on alt character. 3 people perma and other 3 got the 30 day with email stating augment roll back.

Lmao wow.....

So no bams for asylum kills, but bans for amp time outs. Lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-05-21 16:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess i am missing something, I go in to do a NM and have bonus going, I use an amp and time out then i get a ban?

Edit: I guess what I don't get it right now I do this but kill the NM, but like something could go wrong and my group fails, so if we time out we then get a ban? This can not be what is getting people hit.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-21 17:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

SE reserves the right to ban you when they mess up big time. You benefited from their error. Now you must pay. Even if you didn't know (I would still like to see proof of this email)
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2021-05-21 17:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The asylum and entrust thing is obviously a bug.

The Amplifier thing I was like that's incredibly dumb but not necessarily not working as intended. The patch notes are completely inadequate.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-21 17:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

All three are more accurately oversights; they programmed the buff wipe on zone as a 100% hit rate dispel, but didn't consider all the buffs that are immune to dispel or ways to become completely immune to dispel.

The Amplifier thing was probably a lazy programmer doing +800% of full kill value instead of +800% of received value.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-21 17:14:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The amplifier thing is obviously not working as intended; you don't get 8/9 the credit for doing 1% vs actually killing a NM that's meant to be extremely difficult. Nobody in their right mind is doing this and telling themselves they aren't exploiting. You can easily verify whether someone is abusing it based on #/repetition, same as asylum.. if you're using it multiple times or talking about it you're cheating. If it happened once or twice, benefit of the doubt.

Skeptical of 30 day ban and augment rollback. That's a ton more work than SE has ever put into banning before. 30 days haven't been used in years. Further, for the effort going into this, they could just as easily have patched it, given it should be very straightforward to put the multiplier in the correct place. It seems very unlikely to be true from my perspective.

That said, given the severity of the problem, it is something a competent game company would do. It's likely spread pretty far given there are youtube videos being made about it, and they were almost certainly counting on this content to keep the playerbase engaged for at least half a year. A severe suspension and rollback is a perfect punishment for this kind of behavior(the permas were likely people who had strikes in that case).

I would wait for verification before deciding 100% one way or the other, but it does not fit SE's past history. It is an excellent move if it is what they are doing.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-21 17:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
no sane player would have thought it normal just from context.

I don't know if I would go this far. A player operating completely within the instructions of how to earn max RP Gaol wouldn't immediately think something was off.

Imagine doing 3 T1s on V15 with one amplifier, winning all of the fights. Then on the 4th visit you time out after using an amplifier and receiver over 3k RP. For all the player knew, he fulfilled the requirements for the initial three fights and simply was rewarded less than the max possible RP. Nothing about that seems odd.

The part that might be weird is how you can time out every single fight and still receive the amplified bonus for the subsequent amplifier. But you would have still done exactly what they asked (3 fights on 3 jobs and earned RP while using an amplifier). Nothing about their own explanation says you need to win the fights. They didn't make it clear what you would expect to earn. Also, the Moogle amplifier system is rather vague and ambiguous. So I don't know that it has anything to do with common sense.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-21 17:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It is common sense that you should not be allowed to max the highest content in the game by standing there solo and dying to NMs.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-05-21 17:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

People have this mindset that taking advantage of a bug isn't as bad as duping or hacking. It's the same, and it's obvious if you're taking advantage of it with full knowledge of what it is to them based on number of times you did it. Sometimes it's worse because they might take it personally, that they fluffed up and you made them look bad by abusing it.

To use an analogy, if a bank accidentally puts 1M in your bank account and you take it out it they will demand it back. If you spend it and can't pay it back, you will be arrested for theft just the same as if you stole the money and there was no error.

That it was their mistake is irrelevant.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-21 17:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I don't know if I would go this far. A player operating completely within the instructions of how to earn max RP Gaol wouldn't immediately think something was off.
Yes they would; it breaks the common sense rule hard for any remotely reasonable person that by doing 1% of a mob's HP you get 90% of the reward for actually killing it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-21 17:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Not for nothing but common sense isn't common, and no one that plays an mmo is reasonable... so
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-21 17:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Common sense is omnipresent, even if different people have varying amounts.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Server: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-21 17:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
People have this mindset that taking advantage of a bug isn't as bad as duping or hacking. It's the same, and it's obvious if you're taking advantage of it with full knowledge of what it is to them based on number of times you did it. Sometimes it's worse because they might take it personally, that they fluffed up and you made them look bad by abusing it.

To use an analogy, if a bank accidentally puts 1M in your bank account and you take it out it they will demand it back. If you spend it and can't pay it back, you will be arrested for theft just the same as if you stole the money and there was no error.

That it was their mistake is irrelevant.
Again in the same sense using add-ons and ***is different I havent used mog amp but more of the community seems to be upset about this than se. Like this hurts noone tbh. Before Thorny says I'm cheating and he isn't idc about people doing it because if people rush to the content its not me. Se doesn't test half the ***out and expect players not to use it.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-21 17:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If that ban report is accurate, SE seems plenty upset.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-21 17:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
If that ban report is accurate, SE seems plenty upset.
Yea but they only get upset about a set number if you gonna ban then do it all don't worry about the money. The game in general is being run by everyone who breaks tos. If this hurts people because they aren't doing the content 6 months like se wants to drag it out to be then nothing should.
By RadialArcana 2021-05-21 17:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a bug long ago in Tavnazian safehold, where you could buy an item from an npc and sell it to another one for more.

People abused it heavily, they got banned for it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-21 17:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
There was a bug long ago in Tavnazian safehold, where you could buy an item from an npc and sell it to another one for more.

People abused it heavily, they got banned for it.
Yea I was there for that not everyone got hit with a ban sadly the na aide wants everyone ban for the ***but you look into what they do its omg I'm not doing anything that bad. This legit hurts noone but run sellers and gilsellers. Not that I care for either but this hurts the economy 0 but bots and multi boxers hurt it more here we are not touching them.
By Rive016 2021-05-21 17:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda funny they banned people for this, but not the crafting hack lmao they just "Fixed" one glitch.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-21 17:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Rive016 said: »
Kinda funny they banned people for this, but not the crafting hack lmao they just "Fixed" one glitch.
That's what's so crazy to me the same people upset about this aren't upset about the crafting bot that went on for a year or more.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-21 17:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Rive016 said: »

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
That's what's so crazy to me the same people upset about this aren't upset about the crafting bot that went on for a year or more.

They did ban people who used the crafting exploit, and they banned people who duped, and they banned people who speedhacked in neo nyzul, and blah blah. They did not ban every person in any of those cases because they likely were not able to track all of them down(with packet based exploit, raw logs probably only go back so many weeks, so they cannot detect it if the person didn't do it for a period). This isn't because they just let them go, it's because they can't verify it.

It's not about what is worse, you can cry about something from over a year ago until you turn blue in the face but it won't change anything. This is happening now and they have all the opportunity to detect everyone who's done it and fix it.

If you're too stupid to understand why it effects you despite you not being in those groups, I really don't see the point in arguing about it. I've said it plenty, but rushing the entire game through the latest content will result in people quitting earlier and that will have negative repercussions for everyone. Even if you only play by yourself or with your own group, less players means SE will put less effort into development.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2021-05-21 18:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It should be pretty easy for SE to go after people who used this to solo/duo repeatedly and didn't even really make a real attempt at killing anything, the question is where is the line drawn, if a group times out at 1% on a NM they also receive slightly more RP than intended even if no effort to use the exploit was made.

Also is the 9x bonus after timing out on fights instead of killing also intended or not? I had accepted it as a strange design choice but given that the amplifiers are certainly not working as intended that may be a mistake as well.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-21 18:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Jakey said: »
It should be pretty easy for SE to go after people who used this to solo/duo repeatedly and didn't even really make a real attempt at killing anything, the question is where is the line drawn, if a group times out at 1% on a NM they also receive slightly more RP than intended even if no effort to use the exploit was made.

Also is the 9x bonus after timing out on fights instead of killing also intended or not? I had accepted it as a strange design choice but given that the amplifiers are certainly not working as intended that may be a mistake as well.
That's the confusing part because SE doesn't say ***the players are the one acting like police sadly.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-21 18:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming they can do any sort of batch operation on the RP distribution event, should be pretty easy to sort out all instances where the game distributed RP equal to 2.01 to 2.10x base and 8.01 to 8.10x base. Sort it into tables of players, arrange by frequency. Look at how many people did it, draw the line somewhere, everyone who did it that many times or more is kaput.

Legitimate groups doing less than 10% damage would not be wasting their amplifiers. Someone who did it by mistake isn't going to be repeating it. Pretty straightforward.

It seems reasonable to me, a 99% damage dealt timeout vs a kill shouldn't cost you 8/9 of your result. Maybe a minimum damage done would be practical, but as long as it's scaling the actual RP earned rather than the base, I don't see a problem with it.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-21 18:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

They'd actually get more than double the RP they should get if they bring it to 1%, though it'd be dumb to punish an honest try like that.

Right now, a wipe with the mob at 1% with a x9 Amplifier would get them about 3291 RP (392 * 8 + (392*0.4*0.99), while it "should" give them about 1397 RP (392*0.4*0.99*9).
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 131 132 133 ... 242 243 244