Random Politics & Religion #39: Guac Is Extra

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #39: Guac is extra
Random Politics & Religion #39: Guac is extra
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 47 48 49
By Nausi 2019-10-24 11:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ozment said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Odin.Slore said: »
Nausi said: »
What stops them from voting?

Identification. No one can vote without proof of citizenship.

Uhhhh...What?!?!

In many states no ID is required. I live in NY everytime I go to vote all I have to do is sign a book and they give me a ballot. Not one time have I ever had to prove citizenship. In NY you could take the name of any registered voter and just sign the book and vote. They outlawed voter id here years ago. Why do you think the dems would do that? I am being serious here. Why would you not want id checks?

ID checks are mandatory, and if your state isn't requiring this it is something you need to report. I've always been required to provide ID, as should be.

Oh good, so you're in favor of Republican-backed voter ID laws, then. Because there are 15 states + Washington D.C. where no ID is required at the ballot box.

100% in favor of. I'm not 100% left-leaning, I tend to fluctuate. There are some good things about the right, and requiring voter ID is a great one.

Also, I don't see Trump as Republican. He's his own bizarre party that is anti-American.
95% approval within the Republican votership.

Trump IS the republican president republicans have always wanted.
By Viciouss 2019-10-24 11:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like that fake number is just kept getting thrown out there.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2019-10-24 11:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Uhhhh...What?!?!

In many states no ID is required. I live in NY everytime I go to vote all I have to do is sign a book and they give me a ballot. Not one time have I ever had to prove citizenship. In NY you could take the name of any registered voter and just sign the book and vote. They outlawed voter id here years ago. Why do you think the dems would do that? I am being serious here. Why would you not want id checks?
Most states don't require ID to vote because it's a form of voter disenfranchisement. There are plenty of studies showing how a significant number of registered voters in areas with those laws do not have a valid form of ID required (whether their ID is expired or not an accepted form, they're unable to afford an ID, etc). These laws are known to disproportionately affect minorities and poor people more than white and non-poor people. Since minorities and poor people tend to vote more Democratic and white/wealthier people tend to vote more Republican, you can see why these laws are stricter in redder states.

Voter impersonation, the only thing these ID laws would prevent, is extremely rare. The penalties-- up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine-- are severe enough that people (especially undocumented migrants) wouldn't dare risk it.

You might have had me on this if a non-driver Real ID equipped photo ID was more than $9.00....NYS DMV
[+]
By Nausi 2019-10-24 11:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhhh...What?!?!

Most states don't require ID to vote because it's a form of voter disenfranchisement. There are plenty of studies showing how a significant number of registered voters in areas with those laws do not have a valid form of ID required (whether their ID is expired or not an accepted form, they're unable to afford an ID, etc). These laws are known to disproportionately affect minorities and poor people more than white and non-poor people. Since minorities and poor people tend to vote more Democratic and white/wealthier people tend to vote more Republican, you can see why these laws are stricter in redder states.

Voter impersonation, the only thing these ID laws would prevent, is extremely rare. The penalties-- up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine-- are severe enough that people (especially undocumented migrants) wouldn't dare risk it.
Breaking immigration law carrys with it a potential prison sentence. As does tax fraud for not reporting or paying income taxes. The idea that illegals fear prison is simply a very flawed argument.

How many people constitute “significant” whats the number? There’s no reason to assume people who want to vote wont update their info. We expect them to register to vote, and we expect them to get to the voting booths each of which costs time and money and could be considered an equivalent polling tax.

If you required an ID to register, you would dramatically cut down on registration fraud which is also significant, as well as impersonation fraud either at the voting booth or wherever the bote is cast.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2019-10-24 11:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhhh...What?!?!

You might have had me on this if a non-driver Real ID equipped photo ID was more than $9.00....NYS DMV
Doesn't matter in NY where they don't have those laws. It's costlier in other places (such as $25 in Florida), and setting aside the direct price of the ID, there's the cost of time associated with going to the DMV, and additional costs like paying to get official documents required in order to get an ID. Whether or not you personally think it's a hassle doesn't mean ***in light of the fact that there are significant measurable impacts on minorities and poor people from these laws. Those impacts are there by design.
By Nausi 2019-10-24 11:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Taylor, the dems new hope for “blumpf is done, were super serious this time” has a financial relationship with Burisma, the firm Bidens son is on and under investigation.
By Nausi 2019-10-24 11:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhhh...What?!?!

Doesn't matter in NY where they don't have those laws. It's costlier in other places (such as $25 in Florida), and setting aside the direct price of the ID, there's the cost of time associated with going to the DMV, and additional costs like paying to get official documents required in order to get an ID. Whether or not you personally think it's a hassle doesn't mean ***in light of the fact that there are significant measurable impacts on minorities and poor people from these laws. Those impacts are there by design.
No one has a blanket right to vote, and we regulate people’s ability to vote. We do this by requiring them to goto a polling place (tome and money), to register, (time), and we restrict voting naswd on various circumstances (felony, age etc).
By Viciouss 2019-10-24 11:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Taylor, the dems new hope for “blumpf is done, were super serious this time” has a financial relationship with Burisma, the firm Bidens son is on and under investigation.

Called it!
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2019-10-24 11:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhhh...What?!?!

Breaking immigration law carrys with it a potential prison sentence. As does tax fraud for not reporting or paying income taxes. The idea that illegals fear prison is simply a very flawed argument.

How many people constitute “significant” whats the number? There’s no reason to assume people who want to vote wont update their info. We expect them to register to vote, and we expect them to get to the voting booths each of which costs time and money and could be considered an equivalent polling tax.

If you required an ID to register, you would dramatically cut down on registration fraud which is also significant, as well as impersonation fraud either at the voting booth or wherever the bote is cast.
You're conflating breaking one law (being in the country illegally) with another (voter fraud) simply because of the similar punishment, and totally disregarding why a person breaks a given law, or how hard it is to break that law and get away with it. That aside, your argument hinges on the idea that somehow, undocumented immigrants are impersonating someone else on election day, without anybody (including the person they impersonated) noticing and doing anything about it. If this was happening at all, let alone in some result-changing degree, then there would be plenty of reporting and documentation on it, instead of claims with no support.

If you want specific numbers, you can check the pdf in the link like a big boy. Most of the numbers I saw showed around 10% of registered voters being denied in the studies listed. It's worth adding that, in regards to voter registration, many of these states also cull their voter registration lists, which is another form of voter disenfranchisement with similar intents and impacts. There are plenty of stories of people being turned away on election day, as they were surprised to find out that they were removed from the list. This, too, is by design.

Lastly, it's outrageously absurd to put voting behind any kind of paywall; of all the things you wanna tax in this world, it's not *** democracy. Voter fraud isn't an issue. Voter disenfranchisement is.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2019-10-24 12:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhhh...What?!?!

So whites can't be poor huh.

Here we got it folks, Jean is racist by his own admission.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2019-10-24 12:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole "but but but voter ID!" thing might of been something to consider back in the 50's, this is 2019 and you need some form of identification to just about do anything in society. Bank accounts, need proof of ID. Property ownership or rentals, again need proof of ID. Entering into any sort of educational institute, proof of ID yet again comes up. Collecting guberment welfare checks, need ID to register for that.

The only people I can possibly think of who would be effected by an ID requirement, those without any form of ID, would be hill billies living in the backwoods of Arkansas who never leave their shacks anyway. That or illegals who are using fake credentials to skate by in society because people tend not to look too closely when they do check ID.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-10-24 12:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

ID's are not expensive, they don't take long to get, and it's hard to get by without one anyway. There is a vast laundry list of things that require identification that are far less consequential than selecting the leaders of the free world. Rather than whine about poor and minorities not having access to one, why not instead launch charity or tax-driven programs aimed at helping people through the process? Is it because securing our elections isn't actually the goal for you guys?
[+]
By Viciouss 2019-10-24 13:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

ID's are not expensive, they don't take long to get, and it's hard to get by without one anyway. There is a vast laundry list of things that require identification that are far less consequential than selecting the leaders of the free world. Rather than whine about poor and minorities not having access to one, why not instead launch charity or tax-driven programs aimed at helping people through the process? Is it because securing our elections isn't actually the goal for you guys?

Show us some evidence that domestic election security is actually something that needs to be addressed. Because we have never seen any proof that non-citizens are casting ballots. What system is not working?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-10-24 13:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »

Show us some evidence that domestic election security is actually something that needs to be addressed. Because we have never seen any proof that non-citizens are casting ballots. What system is not working?

If a crime is easy to commit but hard to detect, then incidents will naturally be underreported.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-10-24 13:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The penalties-- up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine-- are severe enough that people (especially undocumented migrants) wouldn't dare risk it.

If severe penalties deterred all crimes, our prisons wouldn't have inmates.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
Server: Ragnarok
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2019-10-24 14:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

How accurate would you say this chart is? Sites for news sources, with Liberal to the left, conservative to the right versus better fact reporting at the top and worst at the bottom.

Ragnarok.Ozment
Server: Ragnarok
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2019-10-24 14:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

FYI...you can right-click and open in a different tab for larger/better viewing.
By Viciouss 2019-10-24 14:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The penalties-- up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine-- are severe enough that people (especially undocumented migrants) wouldn't dare risk it.

Um what? Did you let nausi borrow your account? Criminal insanity is a thing. There are severe penalties in place for high crimes, yet they still happen every day.
By Nausi 2019-10-24 14:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

That aside, your argument hinges on the idea that somehow, undocumented immigrants are impersonating someone else on election day, without anybody (including the person they impersonated) noticing and doing anything about it.
Wrong! There are plenty of articles that point out illegals exist on the voter registration rolls. They do vote, the question is how big is this problem. That answer lies between 1 and all of them. And in places like California it is a jailable offense to even ASK.

If you want specific numbers, you can check the pdf in the link like a big boy. Most of the numbers I saw showed around 10%

I’ll call *** on that. In a country of 150 million voters, thats 15 million people without a valid ID. Who are these 15 million people without ID? People over 85 are about 6 million. Thats the only real substantive group that would be somewhat excluded from having an active driver’s license as they don't drive, or buy beer or whatnot.

20 million illegals in the country, i bet most of them don’t have active IDs.

Quote:
There are plenty of stories of people being turned away on election day, as they were surprised to find out that they were removed from the list. This, too, is by design.
Registration fraud is rampant. This is again how lefties cheat in election. Dead people, non citizens are on voter rolls and have voted.

Lastly, it's outrageously absurd to put voting behind any kind of paywall; of all the things you wanna tax in this world, it's not *** democracy. Voter fraud isn't an issue. Voter disenfranchisement is.

It costs money to vote, whither thats in time out of work or in travel costs, it costs money to vote. Have the government subsidize it if you need to, stop illegal voting and democrat cheating.

Democrats don’t give a ***about foreign interference in our election. We’re inundated with people who don’t have a right to vote and are voting. We need to verify votes that are valid.
[+]
By Nausi 2019-10-24 14:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

How accurate would you say this chart is? Sites for news sources, with Liberal to the left, conservative to the right versus better fact reporting at the top and worst at the bottom.

Not at all accurate
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2019-10-24 14:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want election security, you focus on ***like hacking the shitty electronic polling stations and other foreign interference, not making it harder for people to vote. Voter ID laws are completely specious and exist only to help Republicans get elected.

If a crime is easy to commit but hard to detect, then incidents will naturally be underreported.
You know, I agree with that sentiment. But getting away with voter fraud is extremely difficult, so it doesn't apply here.

This completely ignores whether or not a crime is easy to do, get away with, and whether or not prison is an appropriate punishment. Not to mention, issues regarding false convictions.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-10-24 14:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot FFXIAH the only source for facts and honesty.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-10-24 14:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll mail you my Driver's License see if they ask for it when you go to vote.
By fonewear 2019-10-24 14:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Try to vote as me see if they check your ID.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-10-24 14:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Um what? Did you let nausi borrow your account? Criminal insanity is a thing. There are severe penalties in place for high crimes, yet they still happen every day.

?

Isn't that exactly what I just said?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-10-24 14:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

But getting away with voter fraud is extremely difficult, so it doesn't apply here.

Is it? In a state where you don't have ID an all you have to do is check a box, how exactly would voting in behalf of someone else be difficult, especially if you know that the person you're imitating isn't going to be making it to the polls that day?
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2019-10-24 14:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That aside, your argument hinges on the idea that somehow, undocumented immigrants are impersonating someone else on election day, without anybody (including the person they impersonated) noticing and doing anything about it.
Wrong! There are plenty of articles that point out illegals exist on the voter registration rolls. They do vote, the question is how big is this problem. That answer lies between 1 and all of them. And in places like California it is a jailable offense to even ASK.
Non-citizens sometimes do get registered to vote, generally by accident when getting a driver's license (which is legal), but they can be jailed for voting, so there's a protection there in place. Funny thing is, the solution to erroneous registration would simply be to automatically register citizens as voters, but the extra steps to register (and re-register) is in place to deter people from registering, or cull them from the list.

Quote:
If you want specific numbers, you can check the pdf in the link like a big boy. Most of the numbers I saw showed around 10%

I’ll call *** on that. In a country of 150 million voters, thats 15 million people without a valid ID. Who are these 15 million people without ID? People over 85 are about 6 million. Thats the only real substantive group that would be somewhat excluded from having an active driver’s license as they don't drive, or buy beer or whatnot.

20 million illegals in the country, i bet most of them don’t have active IDs.
How bout reading the *** pdf? Like why am I even responding to you if you're not gonna read it? It wasn't ~10% of all registered voters across the country, it was ~10% of voters in the individual studies, which specifically looked at individual elections by state.

Quote:
Quote:
There are plenty of stories of people being turned away on election day, as they were surprised to find out that they were removed from the list. This, too, is by design.
Registration fraud is rampant. This is again how lefties cheat in election. Dead people, non citizens are on voter rolls and have voted.
Feel free to show some receipts. The "dead people" thing isn't winning elections. If you wanna get upset over election ***, get upset over gerrymandering, which is a problem on both sides (though moreso with Republicans).

Quote:

It costs money to vote, whither thats in time out of work or in travel costs, it costs money to vote. Have the government subsidize it if you need to, stop illegal voting and democrat cheating.

Democrats don’t give a ***about foreign interference in our election. We’re inundated with people who don’t have a right to vote and are voting. We need to verify votes that are valid.
Oh, right, the Democrats are the ones holding back election security from foreign interference. That's why noted Democrat... *checks notes*... Mitch McConnell was so resistant towards approving funding for election security.

Now, if you wanna argue that non-citizens or felons or anyone who can't get an ID shouldn't be allowed to vote, then whatever, that's your opinion, and I don't need to change that, nor do I value your opinion. I personally believe every single person over 18 should have a fundamental right to vote on the grounds that they live in this country, regardless of the circumstances, and thus the impacts of elections affect them. But to act like there are massive cheating operations carried out by immigrants that are constantly changing election results means either you don't have faith in the electoral system and are too much of a lazy ***to do anything about it (including proving how it's a real problem), or you're a whiny baby who always has an excuse for why your shitty political party can't get anything helpful done despite having the presidency, Senate, and more than enough douchebags on the Supreme Court.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-10-24 15:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't give a ***who votes or who doesn't vote. But to say there is no voter fraud is to be incredibly naive.
[+]
By Nausi 2019-10-24 15:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

But getting away with voter fraud is extremely difficult, so it doesn't apply here.

Is it? In a state where you don't have ID an all you have to do is check a box, how exactly would voting in behalf of someone else be difficult, especially if you know that the person you're imitating isn't going to be making it to the polls that day?

They had something like that in NH, same day registration, which included a provision for people who moved there and didn’t have an ID yet. Meaning of course that people from MA could be bussed up to the state, claim they lived there, VOTE, and drive back. What was the result?

Over 5000 people who registered that way never seemed to get a NH driver’s license in the subsequent months after the election, a requirement of that same day registration.

How close was NH in 2016?

Of course voter fraud is real, and of course its almost entirely democrat.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 47 48 49