A Summoner's Gear Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 20 21 22
 Bahamut.Krizz
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2020-07-21 17:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Should I invest the 80m into the SMN Collar +2, or upgrade Sancus Sachet and buy some NQ Baayami pieces?
By Crossbones 2020-07-21 17:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

HQ sack is a must. If your sack ain't HQ.....you *** up.
[+]
 Asura.Cicion
Server: Asura
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2020-07-21 17:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

But ya Sachet 1st prol your best bet
By Tosic 2020-07-23 07:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, is siren better for conduit zerging over ramuh? (WoC specifically)
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-23 07:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Tosic said: »
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, is siren better for conduit zerging over ramuh? (WoC specifically)
I don't think so, but is prolly fine to use either. This is a better question for the summoner forums since it isn't gear related.
 Asura.Jdove
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-23 08:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lecesiur said: »
I'm looking to level Summoner soon and I've been looking at various guides trying to grasp the stat priorities and such. Something I've noticed is almost no mention of the Udug Jacket in any equipment guides. Is there an obvious reason for this that I'm missing?
Old post, but i didnt see a reasonable answer as to why noone uses it, honestly i dont know why people dont use it, it is a great hybrid DT/self acc piece for summoner. As far as using it for any kind of dmg other peices outshine this but for idle DT its useful as hell.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-07-23 11:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't use Udug because SMN should not be getting hit. You should be standing outside 20' at all times, and there is very little AOE that hits beyond that range.

That's not to say I *never* use it, I've used it in Domain Invasion due to spike flails, and there have been other times I've used it, but they're few and far between. Generally I value the +4 refresh and -4 pet:dt of Apogee Dalm +1 far more.

Edit: Also there's the other factor of its rarity that may influence how often you see it used in sets.

Depends on the mob. Kirin/WoC? Use Ramuh. Same with Albumen, Schah, and Vinipata. For Erinys, Teles, and Ony, use Siren.
 Asura.Jdove
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-23 11:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
I don't use Udug because SMN should not be getting hit. You should be standing outside 20' at all times
Depends on how you play smn and what you are doing.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-07-23 11:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jdove said: »
I don't use Udug because SMN should not be getting hit. You should be standing outside 20' at all times
Depends on how you play smn.
It really only depends on one thing: Are you meleeing?

If you are then it's probably low enough level content that you don't need Udug anyway, and can use something more useful for melee such as Tali'ah.

And if you're meleeing on high-level content, then I group that into the "exceptions" bucket because that's just silly most of the time and you're probably doing more harm than good.

I don't want to tell people how they should play though, all I can do is give my opinion on the most optimal way to play, and that's from 20 feet away if you're a SMN.
 Asura.Jdove
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-23 11:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

To each thier own , it really just depends on how comfortable you are and how well you know mechanics of things you are doing. I find there isnt 1 way that is most optimal in all scenarios. Just depends like helms i agree no need, ambuscade sometimes, omen it can work (meleeing i mean)even on bosses etc. i dont think it does more harm than good if you are coordinated enough to work with others too.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-23 11:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Each avatar has a different type of dmg (volt strike is blunt and hysteric assault is piercing) so when you have dmg type advantage/disadvantage, its easy to decide. Without those dmg types, probably both BP Should be about the same).

But sirens 1hr also buffs Siren so in theory, Siren can be stronger than ramuh. In practice though, i never bothered using 1hr before conduit for the boost but i guess just because nothing that can be burned, wont be burned just because of a buff.

Also, there are the side effects, drain from hysteric assault and stun from volt strike, being the stun effect way more useful than drain as if the avatar dies, you can just resummon it.
By Crossbones 2020-07-23 12:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't use siren for woc over ramuh. Ramuh is thunder element so he will resist the effects of stun far more often than siren, even with her AF ability and odyllic up. Everytime we tried siren we had bad results with her getting stunned. I don't think siren even has better dps to compensate for this so just no reason to use her over ramuh for woc imo.
 Asura.Jdove
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-23 13:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
I wouldn't use siren for woc over ramuh. Ramuh is thunder element so he will resist the effects of stun far more often than siren, even with her AF ability and odyllic up. Everytime we tried siren we had bad results with her getting stunned. I don't think siren even has better dps to compensate for this so just no reason to use her over ramuh for woc imo.
With Odyllic Subterfuge that isnt an issue. Edit, just read you are using it, it shouldn't be an issue*, but id still use ramuh.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-07-23 13:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I tried Siren on WoC a few times hoping she might resist Medusa Javelin. No such luck, it landed every single time.

Kirin may have some arguments for using Siren, as the avatar can actually die from damage in that fight and Siren heals herself. Plus she might resist petrify a little better but in my experience she didn't, just like with WoC it landed very consistently on her.

Ultimately I think it comes down to the faster you kill it, the less likely stuff goes wrong, and Volt Strike's innate damage is higher than Hysteric Assault so Ramuh comes out on top most of the time.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-23 14:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Did I miss testing on Volt Strike vs Hysteric Assault? Last I knew people were considering them to be basically equal in damage.
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-07-23 15:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

VS can crit
By Wotasu 2020-07-23 15:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Friedrik said: »
VS can crit
Quote:
Physical BPs can technically crit but it won't actually increase the damage beyond what's possible with attack alone. So if your attack isn't capped then yes crits can help.

Crit used to be amazing because you couldn't boost pet acc/atk/etc., so avatars were insanely under-statted all the time. (Atma of the Razed Ruins was incredible at the time for SMNs.)

These days, with good gear, job points, and stuff like Frailty on harder mobs, crit rate ends up being pretty low on the priority list.
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-07-23 15:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wotasu said: »
Asura.Friedrik said: »
VS can crit
Quote:
Physical BPs can technically crit but it won't actually increase the damage beyond what's possible with attack alone. So if your attack isn't capped then yes crits can help.

Crit used to be amazing because you couldn't boost pet acc/atk/etc., so avatars were insanely under-statted all the time. (Atma of the Razed Ruins was incredible at the time for SMNs.)

These days, with good gear, job points, and stuff like Frailty on harder mobs, crit rate ends up being pretty low on the priority list.

Just throwing out ideas here bud. @pergatory is the ftp higher on VS or something?
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-07-23 15:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know that in-depth analysis has been done to discover the differences between the two, but all other things being equal (no blunt or piercing weakness/resistance) my observation is that Volt Strike tends to be quite a bit stronger.

To put some ballpark numbers on it, if Volt Strike averages around 40k, then I find Predator Claws will average around 30k, and Hysteric will be between the two at maybe 35k.

The mods seem to generally be pretty similar among these BPs, so yeah it's probably just got a higher fTP than Hysteric.
[+]
 Asura.Slacks
user: bignig
By Asura.Slacks 2020-07-24 10:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Each avatar has a different type of dmg (volt strike is blunt and hysteric assault is piercing) so when you have dmg type advantage/disadvantage, its easy to decide. Without those dmg types, probably both BP Should be about the same).

But sirens 1hr also buffs Siren so in theory, Siren can be stronger than ramuh. In practice though, i never bothered using 1hr before conduit for the boost but i guess just because nothing that can be burned, wont be burned just because of a buff.

Also, there are the side effects, drain from hysteric assault and stun from volt strike, being the stun effect way more useful than drain as if the avatar dies, you can just resummon it.

I’m glad someone mentioned it, I like to use Siren for pretty much all of the reist T4s (if done right with AF > Clarsach Call > AC > Zerg Barrage, she puts VS to shame), it does take a little getting used to with staggering the 1hrs like that, but it’s extremely beneficial, you will however want to use /RDM for convert since Barrage is a MP sink
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2020-07-24 12:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

you'll also want to look into refresh gear to pair with your perp- gear. everyone has their own strat. I believe I have a 6 refresh with my gear when avatars are summoned. I could have 7, but I opt for the staff that gives crit and attack for the melee rounds.
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-24 12:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slacks said: »
Pantafernando said: »

I’m glad someone mentioned it, I like to use Siren for pretty much all of the reist T4s (if done right with AF > Clarsach Call > AC > Zerg Barrage, she puts VS to shame), it does take a little getting used to with staggering the 1hrs like that, but it’s extremely beneficial, you will however want to use /RDM for convert since Barrage is a MP sink
When fully buffed with cor and geo i dont really notice a difference when using clarsach call, seems alot more potent in unbuffed scenario's.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-24 13:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

What barrage?
 Asura.Jdove
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-24 13:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he means hysteric assault.
By Aquatiq 2020-08-12 01:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this the kind of Grio you want for Flaming Crush set? Should I bother rerolling or stand pat?

And maybe a dumb question since I'm building Nirvana but this is better than Nirvana for Ifrit correct?
By Pantafernando 2020-08-12 01:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

No, but is the best pet magical BP.
By Wotasu 2020-08-12 02:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Aquatiq said: »
Is this the kind of Grio you want for Flaming Crush set? Should I bother rerolling or stand pat?

And maybe a dumb question since I'm building Nirvana but this is better than Nirvana for Ifrit correct?
It's a good roll keep it, you can always try for better stats.
and as previous poster said, Nirvana beats Grio for Flaming Crush.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2020-08-15 00:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Gippo said: »
Just 119'ed my new Nirvana.

Whats the consensus on dropping the 6 stacks of schwarz to get

if you have BIS elsewhere, you shouldnt need that accuracy. however, who knows what the new content will bring and/or if any type SMN strats will still be logical.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 20 21 22