Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Ho Asura
Ho Asura
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-03-22 10:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Haters everywhere. As long as you're not shoving it on a credit card or giving up elsewhere for it, you do you. Monster of a machine.
[+]
 Asura.Frod
Server: Asura
By Asura.Frod 2019-03-22 11:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Haters everywhere. As long as you're not shoving it on a credit card or giving up elsewhere for it, you do you. Monster of a machine.

More making fun of the fact that an equivalent build could be done for half the price, monitors included.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-22 11:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya know, if you've got the money, go ahead. Stupidity is a requirement for capitalism to function.

Can't be a billionair if a group of stupid people don't pool their money and give it to you.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-03-22 12:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Frod said: »
More making fun of the fact that an equivalent build could be done for half the price, monitors included.

The labor on all the custom lighting, water loop, etc is not inconsequential, especially if you don't know how to do it yourself. Is it a bargain? Obviously not. But, it's worth more than the sum of the actual performance-related hardware.

Don't know that dude's lifestyle or income or if he's even capable of building something like that from scratch.

If only goal was performance, then yea, you can do it for significantly less. People who buy that kind of ***usually want the appearance or like to show off the price tag.
By Shichishito 2019-03-22 12:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The labor on all the custom lighting, water loop, etc is not inconsequential, especially if you don't know how to do it yourself.

most shops offer a service for assembly for your custom build on checkout, its usually not more than 100 bucks extra.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-03-22 12:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
100 bucks extra.

Not familiar with the actual machine he's buying, but no shop is doing a proper water loop or custom lighting on a $100 assembly fee.

If he was someone tech inclined, I'd be happy to jump on the bandwagon and call him a dumbass, but you know literally nothing about the guy. Maybe he makes 800k a year and wanted the best PC money could buy him, by the looks of it it's pretty damn close.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-03-22 12:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The labor on all the custom lighting, water loop, etc is not inconsequential, especially if you don't know how to do it yourself. Is it a bargain? Obviously not. But, it's worth more than the sum of the actual performance-related hardware.

Don't know that dude's lifestyle or income or if he's even capable of building something like that from scratch.

If only goal was performance, then yea, you can do it for significantly less. People who buy that kind of ***usually want the appearance or like to show off the price tag.

Lolbro, prefab led parts for 'customizing' ***is cheap as ***, china has flooded the *** out of that market. I could probably spend an afternoon on alibaba or sites like led supply and build a led strip kit or accent lighting for under 100.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-03-22 12:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

an afternoon

for under 100.

My afternoons are worth at least $300. His could be worth even more. But go ahead, keep telling yourself the only cost is parts. Anyone with any comprehension can tell the entire thread is people wishing they had $13k to spend frivolously.

Is it a dumb move if he makes 70k a year? Yea, it's incredibly stupid in that case.

If he makes 10x that, who cares.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-03-22 12:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

an afternoon

for under 100.

My afternoons are worth at least $300. His could be worth even more. But go ahead, keep telling yourself the only cost is parts. Anyone with any comprehension can tell the entire thread is people wishing they had $13k to spend frivolously.

Is it a dumb move if he makes 70k a year? Yea, it's incredibly stupid in that case.

If he makes 10x that, who cares.

Oh, i see, your goalposts are on a golf cart. You won't accept any answer because you keep backpedaling your defence. 14k for a pc is ***' stupid, end of story.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-03-22 12:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You're assuming someone's financial situation just because the idea of all those dollar bills flying away makes you cry. Everything is relative. There are people(probably not people on FFXIAH, but still) who spend 10x that on a night out.

I didn't set any goalposts, I congratulated the dude on a purchase he's probably excited about and most likely gave the appropriate amount of thought for the budget he had to work with. Unless you know more about him than I do, you don't have much room to judge.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-03-22 12:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meliorah said: »
Asura.Wyldfyre said: »

It is begun.

I wired the payment earlier today.

Don't be taken in by the price, $4000 of that is for the dual 4k monitors (4k for 4k, lol)

are these 4k monitors 144hz 1ms 52"?! There is no reason 2 4k monitors should run you $4000

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4k+monitor&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

The reason why those monitors are $4,000 is because they are this model:

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27UQ/

They are 4K/144Hz but, more importantly, they are VESA HDR1000 certified. They have full-array backlights with 384 independent dimming zones and can deliver "true" HDR with 1000 nits of brightness.

Are they worth the money? LOL no. They are not. And buying two of them is just silly. Alienware has a 55" OLED GSYNC monitor coming this year. I would have bought a more reasonable Ultrawide VA-based monitor and just waited for the Alienware.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-03-22 12:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats an awful lot of assumptions there

13k is stupid for several reasons.
1. That is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced even for those specs, its like gold plated hdmi cable range. He is clearly and excessively getting ripped off.
2. The specs are waaaaaaay excessive for ffxi, or for any gaming at all. Nothing will fully utilize that i9, nor will anything use the dual 2080tis. If/when something approaches that, in like 5-10 years time, that hardware will be obsoleted by things half their current price.
3. B-b-but the expensive leds!
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-03-22 13:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leds and water cooling aren't expensive, but designing them in a way that looks nice has some value. I never said it was worth what he paid for it, just that it's worth more than the sum of the parts.

The only reason you're so dead set on criticizing this guy's purchase is because you've never had enough money to spend 13k without thoroughly researching what it's going into and all possible ways to save. You don't know how much money he has, you don't know whether he looked at other options or not, you're just shaming someone for buying something that they're probably really happy about. Go back to spamming Asura.
By Foxfire 2019-03-22 13:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

even if he bought two of those asus monitors, microcenter has them at 1.5k/ea so he's still overpaying

heck, you can buy the egregiously expensive Aventum X from Digital Storm with a similar (if not better?) config for cheaper, including liquid cooling system and stupid-*** rgb.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-03-22 13:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If he had the money, he would have been more responsible with it, but that's an unfair assumption.

What he does or doesn't have is irrelevant. The issue is the build itself and it's cost. I could get an equivalent build with a giant custom animated led image of a dude helicoptering his *** as it shoots rainbows and it would and should cost under half that.
By Shichishito 2019-03-22 13:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be happy to jump on the bandwagon and call him a dumbass

you can always call him out for thinking dumping those amounts of cash into tech will save him from upgrading in a few years. what ever is premium right now will be mid tier at best in 2-3 years.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-03-22 13:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Took a minute to find the machine and cross reference specs.
Parts/software total around $6500 before LED, case, fans, and subscriptions. It comes with a subscription that allows him to ship it back for repairs or upgrades(and in the event of upgrades, they reimburse the value of the piece being upgraded). It comes with carbonite online backup(lifetime? that'd be another few hundred if so). The case has some sort of VR panel built in, which is probably another few hundred.

If you actually look at the list, he has dedicated expansion cards for EVERYTHING and a bunch of software added in. Realistically, he could have probably gotten something comparable for 7k, and if foxfire is right on the monitors saved another ~1k there. So, he paid 13k for something worth 10k. About the same as most people buying a used car, and value drops slower.

It isn't a purchase I would make. It's not a purchase someone who knows all the hardware would make, most likely. But again, you know nothing about this guy.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-03-22 13:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For like the 4th or 5th time this page, i'm not assuming anything about the guy, the pc itself is ***' stupid.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-03-22 13:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

But you keep saying half the price. Really, it's like 15-20% overpriced. His number is likely post-tax as well, and the monitors are actually 1599+tax at micro center(so almost 1700 at 6%) not 1500.

Did he need a dedicated game capture card, a dedicated hd sound card, or all the software he had added? I don't know. You don't know. But it all added to the cost.
By zaxtiss 2019-03-22 13:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

enjoy your PC man it looks epic.
ignore anyone being a *** to you.
although you may want to go a none asura server as you can see what awaits you lolz.
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-03-22 13:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

assuming the numbers thrown around here are somewhat accurate you could still buy a pretty pimp pc or 2 very decent middle class pcs from the overpay alone.
By Shichishito 2019-03-22 13:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

zaxtiss said: »
although you may want to go a none asura server as you can see what awaits you lolz.

naw m8, asura can have him.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-03-22 13:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kinda weird stupid to spend all of that coin and get an i9-9900K though. Why would you do that? It's only 8 core/16 thread and supports dual-channel RAM. I'm on a workstation right now that's significantly more powerful on the processor side (10core/20thread and quad-channel RAM). That's Xeon/Skylake-X territory or Threadripper if you need lots of cores.
By Shichishito 2019-03-22 13:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »
It's kinda weird stupid to spend all of that coin and get an i9-9900K though. Why would you do that? It's only 8 core/16 thread and supports dual-channel RAM. I'm on a workstation right now that's significantly more powerful on the processor side (10core/20thread and quad-channel RAM). That's Xeon/Skylake-X territory or Threadripper if you need lots of cores.

i think the processors with more cores/threads come with the downside of less mhz/core. they are only a good investment if you do stuff like video editing, games (what the person claims the pc is ment for) don't make use of that many cores but some games do make use of more mhz.
 Asura.Wyldfyre
user: WyldFyre
By Asura.Wyldfyre 2019-03-22 13:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys?

Calm your ***.

The price of the machine isn't an issue to me. I ran across a couple articles about quality prefabs since I have neither the time nor expertise to build my own, so I threw together an order.

So what if the monitors are cheaper elsewhere? I'm not interested in buying piecemeal.

Get over yourself.
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-03-22 13:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

i think the processors with more cores/threads come with the downside of less mhz/core. they are only a good investment if you do stuff like video editing, games (what the person claims the pc is ment for) don't make use of that many cores but some games do make use of more mhz.

Ffxi lives or diea by single core ghz speed.
 Asura.Wyldfyre
By Asura.Wyldfyre 2019-03-22 13:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ffxi lives or diea by single core ghz speed.
I guess it's good I paid for overclocking.
By Jetackuu 2019-03-22 13:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wyldfyre said: »
Guys I like to waste money and stop making fun of me for it.
ftfy

But there's a good point brought up, getting an i9 or even an i7 for "gaming" is a bad idea.

Foxfire said: »
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Freehugs said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Freehugs said: »
I was gonna suggest the Witcher. :) Great games.

You just like it for the lesbomancy.
Shani is my jam.

That gif is disturbing in every possible good way.
 Asura.Wyldfyre
By Asura.Wyldfyre 2019-03-22 14:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The butthurt is real.

Here:

Whine more.
[+]