Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » starting ninja sets
starting ninja sets
 Bismarck.Virdent
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: virdent
By Bismarck.Virdent 2019-01-02 11:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

hey guys, i just came back about a month ago and working on getting my ninja geared and set up. my main issue is so much and its overwhealming. for starting to gear up, what would you reccomend as some starter sets?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-02 11:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ru'Aun
Adhemar Head, Body, Hands

Ambuscade Grind
Mummu +1/2 Legs and Feet (full set works)

Hizamaru Legs and Feet +1/2 (full is fine)

You'll get the +1 set simply from total hallmarks so you don't have to go out of your way to get them. I'd +2 the pieces above I mentioned.

Reisenjima
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Herculean_Gloves
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Herculean_Boots

You can get by with most of what you need to get done with the above, and if you're buying them, it's not too costly. You can also just form a group to get all of that, if you supply pops. Most PUG can tackle the content required, with the exception of maybe Adhemar body from Pakecet.

I didn't mention Su3 gear, but that's a no brainer assuming you can cook up the 500 JP. You can skip most of what I posted above and go straight for that if you have the points, and then work on those piece upgrades later. Su3 will allow you to meet the requisite acc fairly early with a little support.
 Bismarck.Virdent
Server: Bismarck
user: virdent
By Bismarck.Virdent 2019-01-02 12:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Ru'Aun
Adhemar Head, Body, Hands

Ambuscade Grind
Mummu +1/2 Legs and Feet (full set works)

Hizamaru Legs and Feet +1/2 (full is fine)

You'll get the +1 set simply from total hallmarks so you don't have to go out of your way to get them. I'd +2 the pieces above I mentioned.

Reisenjima
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Herculean_Gloves
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Herculean_Boots

You can get by with most of what you need to get done with the above, and if you're buying them, it's not too costly. You can also just form a group to get all of that, if you supply pops. Most PUG can tackle the content required, with the exception of maybe Adhemar body from Pakecet.
alright so if i was gonna be mostly getting the ambu gear to start off with, which from the two sets would yoou reccomend.
also starting off, what would you reccomend for accessories for starting. assuming starting katana would be the oboro one?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-02 12:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Mummu probably since you can ride that full set and get a decent amount of accuracy if it's +2. Ordinarily, I wouldn't recommend anyone using a full set of Ambuscade gears, but if it's a new player who needs something to get him into higher tiers of Ambuscade or other Content (without buying gear from mercs), this is my exception. You will get a lot of use out of the Hizamaru Legs +2, so I'd definitely +2 that one first. Daken for Ninja is important, so having a combination of acc, racc, and agi is very good, hence Mummu. Macc also helps you out a for landing debuffs.

Accessories: Please just visit the ninja guide. They have this broken down into entry level sets (everything you asked is there, too!) https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/33470/the-sealed-dagger-a-ninja-guide/

But to answer even further

Oboro Katana is good, but it's not quite there yet in terms of a great one. You should aim for it since, again, its free with only time being your rival. It gives a very good (again) acc, macc, and racc boost, and even totes your MAB as well. Don't think you can DW those yet since they are rare/ex, but it's a good offhand for now.

You can also get by with Raicho/+1 as a main hand Katana, which is also relatively free if you spam Vidmapire. You can get a group for him. I spammed a few dozen Vidmapires a few days ago and saw this pop up frequently, and he's not a hard NM if you have a good group or strong friend helping. Tancho +1 is decent, and you can probably solo him just fine if you are desperate for one quickly.

Of course, you can skip all of that and just buy a Kanaria from a merc (if you so choose) and you'll be set with your main hand, once you augment it accordingly.

I'd recommend getting a Shigi and augmenting it if possible. It's a very good accuracy option. The amount of money it will cost you, though, is comparable to just buying Kanaria from a merc, but still a good acc swap to have when you need it. Since it will cost you gil, I would prioritize this far below Eletta Katana + Kanaria, and only get it if you really want that hefty acc bonus, as it is a good one-size-fits-all Katana offhand.

There's also some stuff like Mijin which is a decent offhand if you do Path B.

There's a decent handful of other Katanas as well, but the trouble to acquire them may or may not be worth it, given the'r stats and skill, or potential augments. Research the below if you feel like:
Izuna, Aizushintogo, Achiuchikapu, Jushimatsu,Taikogane
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-01-02 12:39:30
Link | Quote | Reply

No argument with Buuki's comments, but to add a bit to that:
[EDIT: was writing this before the previous 2 posts, I see there has now been some additional discussion!)

Weapon:
- Try your best to get a Kanaria from Ironsides (Reisenjima tier 2), in my experience it's often the case that people are more frequently after the sword, so have little issue letting people have the katana. Prob the best mainhand option for non-RMEA Ninja. Dual wielding them is also good.

You need to augment Kanaria (with Oseem in Norg) to make them worth using. You'll be shooting for mainhand with DMG+10~20 and Triple Attack +2%~3% as a baseline requirement. Then ideally some amount of STR or DEX, and whatever Acc/Atk you happen to get. For offhand, DMG is a nice bonus but not mandatory.

- Ochu (from Sinister Reign) is also a viable mainhand option, or a good offhand.

- Shigi (JSE weapon from Oboro in Port Jeuno) is a solid offhand, still one of the best for max acc situations and it will do you fine in general as an offhand for a starting NIN until you get more options.

- Achiuchikapu from Palloritus in Vagary is still a nice offhand.

- The fairly new Ambuscade katana isn't very good yet, but eventually might be with further upgrades/augments. For now, shoot for the above options instead.

Accessories:
Earrings: good ol' Brutal Earring is still great, ideally pair it with Cessance Earring from High Tier Ultima/Omega fight. Suppa also still great when you aren't capped delay.

Rings: Epona/Rajas still works, but you'll be looking to replace Rajas when you can with Petrov Ring (from Ruea, T1 NM in Escha-Ru'Aun).

Neck: If you can afford them and they're available on your server, the newish JSE necks (Ninja Nodowa +1 or +2) are best in slot when upgraded and will serve you well probably forever. Until then, I'd recommend Moonbeam Nodowa (AH) or Erudition Necklace (free from doing Adoulin quests).

Waist: Windbuffet Belt/+1 is usually best for TP. Grunfeld Rope from Khun (Escha-Ru'Aun T1 NM) is good for WS.

Back: Get an Andartia's Mantle from Ambuscade ASAP and upgrade it with DEX+20 (Abdhaljs Thread), Acc&Atk+20 (Abdhaljs Dust), and Double Attack+10 (Abdhaljs Sap). Eventually, add another DEX+10 from Abdhaljs Dye and a defensive stat from Resin. This will be your best TP back and Blade: Shun WS cape (and Shun will generally be your best WS without an RMEA katana).

As for some other event-specific things to look for:

Sinister Reign:
You'll want to join a group for this, but it's not super high end content any more and everyone gets personal drops. You are mainly after:
- Samnuha Tights (max augments is generally best in slot legs when you don't need acc)
- Ochu (solid weapon for main or offhand, as noted above)

Those are the main 2 pieces you're seeking SR, but if you get other drops while you're there NIN can also make good use of:
- Malevolence (great MAB weapon for Aeolian Edge)
- Amm Greaves (DT- set)
- Dampening Tam (pretty good head, though Adhemar is better)
- Floral Gauntlets (DW sets)
- Samnuha Coat (Ninjutsu nukes)

Omen - AF+3:
You can farm some cards even by yourself with trusts, and upgrade AF armor. The pieces you're after upgrading are (1) Hachiya Hatsuburi (+3 version is best in slot for many WS so you'll want it eventually, and +2 is decent) and (2) Hachiya Kyahan for Macc/Ninjutsu (and you're prob gonna have them around anyway for nighttime movement speed+).

Omen - midboss/boss drops (aside from bodies and Ou's Regal Ring):
If you end up getting into Omen groups, a lot of people will have these by now and you'd want them for NIN:
- Kishar Ring (Fast Cast), from Glassy Gorger midboss
- Ilabrat Ring (TP/WS piece), from Kin