Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 23:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:

and that 8-12 str is only gonna make a 2 DMG diff

Am I really supposed to take this seriously?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-09 23:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Is another 8-12 str? For that matter you can still offhand it. More importantly wouldn't SA ws then 30 sec later TA ws beat slightly higher dot?

That damage is easily made up by the additional DoT you get during TP phase, which comprises that majority of a THF's DPS.

Bartimaeus said:
You know whats sad is you guys talking about all this as common knowledge, and I have no idearrr what you're saying.

O hai i cure u long time? <3

<3
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-09 23:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
I'm totally jacking this thread in the name of WHM.

/plants flag

(you with me Nin? :x)

Ya'll cant dmg ***DEAD! :>

I'm with ya!!! Your 'stache shall be our Mascot!!! >:3 Go go WHMs!!! Our cures shall blot out the sun!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 23:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
Dasva said:
Is another 8-12 str? For that matter you can still offhand it. More importantly wouldn't SA ws then 30 sec later TA ws beat slightly higher dot?

That damage is easily made up by the additional DoT you get during TP phase, which comprises that majority of a THF's DPS.

Ah yes down with free thinkers stick with the majority.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-09 23:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL

It's *** math and you're saying something is better, not that you choose to use it. There's no free thinking where numbers are involved.

GTFO.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-10-09 23:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's my honest opinion:

Unless you're planning on leveling COR or DRK, you're better off selling the Merc Kris. With that gil, you can pick up a Blau and have a good start on a PCC. Harpe/Blau isn't the greatest pure-damage dagger combo, but it's not bad by any means.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 23:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Vegetto said:

Yes, 2 higher fstr cap, means 2 more DMG, provided you're capping before and after your cap raises.

4 str = 1 fstr. 1 fstr = 1 DMG
going from rank 2 to rank 4 raises your FSTR cap by 2

2 fstr = 2 DMG
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-09 23:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus a bit from pDIF, but still, at most it's 4 more damage per hit? That's assuming you get the high roll on cratio, more like 3 on average even if you're attack capped. 2 more damage is a pretty accurate assessment. Like I said, easily made up through the improvement in TP phase damage.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 23:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
Dasva said:
Vegetto said:

Yes, 2 higher fstr cap, means 2 more DMG, provided you're capping before and after your cap raises.

2 fstr = 2 DMG

I'll assume your talking melee hits and not ws which kinda makes no sense considering what you'd have to wear in order to hit said caps.
Nightfyre said:
LOL

It's *** math and you're saying something is better, not that you choose to use it. There's no free thinking where numbers are involved.

GTFO.

Math where? Show me.
 Unicorn.Nintendo
Server: Unicorn
user: nintendo
By Unicorn.Nintendo 2009-10-09 23:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:
Integral said:
Integral said:
9fully merited sch

1.sch

Rofl. Unfortunately no one's taken down AV yet to my knowledge.

Sweet, this post was way on topic. And Sch is no were near best DD, MAYBE 12+ Sch is, but not 1.

Ninian said:
Bartimaeus said:
I blame the OP for being so vague that the responses make you guys eat eachother alive with flame posts.

Back on track: Mehbeh RNG?

Sure they can miss...like..any..other job ever...

Only a RNG with a 'stache could out-parse any other DD.

A rng with relic gun or bow by far is, and OP was best gear of gears.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-09 23:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

All through the thread, idiot. His fSTR math would actually be WS only, seeing as you're not gonna be fSTR capped during TP phase on THF by any stretch of the imagination.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 23:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Vegetto said:
Dasva said:
Vegetto said:

2 fstr = 2 DMG

I'll assume your talking melee hits and not ws which kinda makes no sense considering what you'd have to wear in order to hit said caps.
Nightfyre said:
LOL

GTFO.

Math where? Show me.

What are you talking about? You're saying that the pharp has higher fstr cap. I'm simply saying that the higher fstr cap will only be an additional 2 DMG to ws. Adding that to the 4 DMG higher pharp has to begin with, it will have a max of 6 DMG higher than blau during WS, which is not high enough to beat blau's advantages for TP'ing.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 23:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I misunderstood you I thought you meant that you'd only get 2 more dmg on however many k your doing which is kinda silly. Still though you say it wont beat it but anyone actually have any parses/numbers?
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-09 23:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Nintendo said:
Ninian said:
Integral said:
Integral said:
9fully merited sch

1.sch

Rofl. Unfortunately no one's taken down AV yet to my knowledge.

Sweet, this post was way on topic. And Sch is no were near best DD, MAYBE 12+ Sch is, but not 1.

Ninian said:
Bartimaeus said:
I blame the OP for being so vague that the responses make you guys eat eachother alive with flame posts.

Back on track: Mehbeh RNG?

Sure they can miss...like..any..other job ever...

Only a RNG with a 'stache could out-parse any other DD.

A rng with relic gun or bow by far is, and OP was best gear of gears.

Objection! A 'stash is all you need to be the best DPS. >:3
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-10 00:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just use this as an example. Mithra thf has 80 dex. WS w/ SA, 1 dex = 1 DMG.

Assuming the thf is using full heca cap, hands, feet, and legs, rajas, puts us at 105 DMG. Then you have the damage of the weapon itself. We'll use blau
33 DMG + 105 DMg = 135 dmg.

Gonna go w/ sharkbite/mandalic stab here since I'm assuming we're talking higher lv mobs?

Shark bite, 50% dex mod.

(floor(mod x %))x.83 x floor
(105 x .5) = 52.5 x floor = 52
52 x .83 = 43.16 = 43

So now we're looking at
135 + 43 = 178 dmg.

capped fstr w/ rank 2 wep is 10 DMG

10 + 178 = 188 DMG

Capped fstr w/ rank 4 wep is 12 DMG, in addition to the 4 higher dmg on the wepon itself

188+6 = 194 DMG

now we have 188 DMG vs 194 DMG

194/188 = 3.19% increase in WS damage.

Blau has 5 acc, assuming 92.5% hitrate (the highest acc u can be at and still get the full benefit from blau's 5 acc)

5 acc = 2.5% hitrate

2.5/92.5 = 2.7% increase in DoT AND WS frequency. 2.7% more WS over time = is gonna equate to 2.7% more WS damage. This is already just barely under w/ just the 5 acc.

Then you have the lower delay, and the 18 attack

Edit: 16 attack
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-10 00:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The lower delay in and of itself is a huge factor, as it means more swings and thus more damage. There's a reason low-delay combos are so awesome for THF.

EDIT: Harpe-type v Blau, nearly 9% more swings for Blau assuming a constant offhand delay and not *** around with x-hit math.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-10 00:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds buyable though I still don't see what everyone hates about offhanding merc kris... especially since multi-hit offhands get more benefit with higher delay main hands. Also I'm stil raging at getting rid of the tp floor. Is it even possible to split SA and TA ws without multi-hit since they got rid of it?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-10 00:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

In comparison to Sirocco Kukri, you're looking at a roughly 12.5% increase in total delay by using Mercurial Kris. Along with that, you're losing more than 50% of your offhand DoT per hit in exchange for 1.9 offhand hits/round, which doesn't compensate favorably.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-10 00:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as mkris goes, in merits thf is DoT job, generally puts out more DoT than WS, like mnk. Mkris DoT is shitty. The increase in WS number isn't worth gimping the DoT for.

I'm assuming the average number of hits is gonna be 2? That's the equiv of a delay 192 dmg 16 dagger in the offhand. Gonna suck for DoT big time.

As far as fights where WS are a larger portion of your dmg, (HNMs ect), gl breaking 0 w/ mkris. hit for 0, gain 0 tp
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-10 00:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I know HNMs I wont deal ***. That being said on xp lvl mobs I'll hit high enough for tp... and really the tp gain is kinda insane though admittidly its not as good if you main hand a low delay dagger. Also yes the average number of hits is about 2... well assuming no double/triple attack.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-10 00:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
delay 192 dmg 16 dagger

Would 16 DMG dagger actually do twice the damage of an 8 DMG dagger? I mean, don't all those fSTR thingies mean 16DMG would be much more than twice the actual damage of 8DMG?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-10 00:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually the other way around, 2 hits with an 8 damage dagger > one with a 16 hit.

Say fSTR is 5, that's 2 hits with 13 base D vs one with 21. See what I mean? Then there's additional TP towards WS, etc.

That assumes you're not hitting for 0 with the lower damage weapon though.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-10 00:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Vegetto said:
delay 192 dmg 16 dagger

Would 16 DMG dagger actually do twice the damage of an 8 DMG dagger? I mean, don't all those fSTR thingies mean 16DMG would be much more than twice the actual damage of 8DMG?

Yes probably depending on what your fighting. Too dependent on the other stats like vit def att. Though really just 1 rank lower... but at that low you could pretty easily cap fstr even in tp phase lol rank 0. Besides I don't think anyone can argue that a 8 dmg dagger does crap for dmg no matter how often it attacks on its own.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-10 00:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Greater Colibri have 67 VIT, 8D means weapon rank is 0 and therefore your fSTR cap is 8.

Do you have 91 STR in TP gear? Because that's what it would take to cap fSTR on Mercurial Kris.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-10 00:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

All that being said, thf is a DoT job, you may gain WS damage over time, but you're gimping your DoT to do it. Since DoT will be a larger portion of your damage, it's not rly worth it to gimp your DoT to boost your WS damage.

For example, I'll do a mini comparison.
Blau/Siccoro
Blau/Mkris

Blau/Sirocco: 178 + 150 = 328
Blau/Mkris: 178 + 192 = 370

Blau(33 dmg)/Sirocco(26 dmg) = average of 59 dmg/attack round
Blau(33 dmg)/Mkris(average of 16 assuming 2 hits for avereage): 49 DMG/attack round

Assuming 5 fstr for tp phase

38 + 31 = 69
38 + (13 x 2 = 26) = 64

Delay:
1/(328/370) = 12.804878% increase in attack speed

DMG:
69/64 = 7.8125% increase in average dmg/hit

Compounding
1.12804878(1.078125) = 21.62% increase in DoT

Edited: Correct problem w/ fstr on mkris.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-10 00:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I understood the point of the statement, just wondering which one would actually provide the highest damage (ignoring tp and ws's).

So as long as it's hitting for more than 0 the kris will win? Well, I know we're comparing it to like, a level 30-40 dagger or something, but still :p
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-10 00:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
It's actually the other way around, 2 hits with an 8 damage dagger > one with a 16 hit.

Say fSTR is 5, that's 2 hits with 13 base D vs one with 21. See what I mean? Then there's additional TP towards WS, etc.

That assumes you're not hitting for 0 with the lower damage weapon though.

This is correct, gonna edit my math to reflect said changes
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-10 00:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Oh I understood the point of the statement, just wondering which one would actually provide the highest damage (ignoring tp and ws's).

So as long as it's hitting for more than 0 the kris will win? Well, I know we're comparing it to like, a level 30-40 dagger or something, but still :p

Against what? The question was against Sirocco Kukri, which has a significantly lower delay and 25D rather than the hypothetical 16 above. Kukri v Kris, Kukri will win.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-10 00:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah I saw from Vegettos totally confusing maths that kukri kicks its ***, I was comparing it to the shitty 192 delay 16 dmg dagger :D
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-10 00:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Oh yeah I saw from Vegettos totally confusing maths that kukri kicks its ***, I was comparing it to the shitty 192 delay 16 dmg dagger :D

Ah yeah, I see what you're asking now. Misread your post the first time around. Yeah, Kris would win.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 25 26 27