Random Politics & Religion #35: It's Turtle Time!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #35: It's Turtle Time!
Random Politics & Religion #35: It's Turtle Time!
First Page 2 3 ... 73 74 75 ... 131 132 133
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-10-30 13:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

what's the big deal about immigrants coming to the US anyways?
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-10-30 14:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Legal ones? Not a big deal at all.
Illegal ones? There's a huge list of ways that they can negatively affect the rest of the populace simply because they're not vetted.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2018-10-30 14:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »

Legally? Absolutely nothing, legal immigration is great because it brings in talents from other parts of the world and is one of the things that made American great.

Hordes of poor unskilled, uneducated economic migrants looking to live off a welfare state? Big *** problem because they drain the system without putting much value back in. Or to put another way, are you willing to donate $10,000 USD per year to an economic migrant while also providing food and shelter for anyone they bring with them? That is what's being asked of myself and other working professionals.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-10-30 14:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Legal ones? Not a big deal at all.
Illegal ones? There's a huge list of ways that they can negatively affect the rest of the populace simply because they're not vetted.
Sounds like the real problem is our joke of a "social security" system
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-10-30 14:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Legally? Absolutely nothing, legal immigration is great because it brings in talents from other parts of the world and is one of the things that made American great.

Hordes of poor unskilled, uneducated economic migrants looking to live off a welfare state? Big *** problem because they drain the system without putting much value back in. Or to put another way, are you willing to donate $10,000 USD per year to an economic migrant while also providing food and shelter for anyone they bring with them? That is what's being asked of myself and other working professionals.
You can't get welfare if you arent a citizen.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-10-30 14:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

This is how you "MAGA":
Provide for our citizens and the foreigners that come here to be part of our nation. Build up the poor and the weak. Be kind to those seeking asylum. Love what is good, honest, and pure. Hate what is evil, deceitful, and greedy for selfish gains.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-10-30 14:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Taxes are largely done at the federal level while welfare spending is at the state level. The federal government reimburses states on much of their welfare expenditures and thus redistributes wealth.

https://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/public-welfare/federal-state-public-welfare-programs/

This system was put in place to assist the under developed rural area's by transferring some of the economic prosperity from the developed urban area's. It's a vital system because the economic engines that are cities rely on the resources and manpower produced in the rural, and the cities will rarely distribute that wealth back. Now because states control how the welfare is spent they can "distribute" it however they want, meaning give it to "poor deserving undocumented immigrants" with the only requirement be that they vote Democrat.

Democrats attempting to use this system to buy their way into power has resulted in all sorts of *** up economics happening.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2018-10-30 14:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

This is how you "MAGA":
Provide for our citizens and the foreigners that come here to be part of our nation. Build up the poor and the weak. Be kind to those seeking asylum. Love what is good, honest, and pure. Hate what is evil, deceitful, and greedy for selfish gains.
Agreed.

Canada is REALLY missing out their opportunity to stick it in our faces. They should take these migrants in, they have the Utopia, or so they tell us whenever they can.

"We don't lock our doors in Canada"
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-10-30 14:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

You can get many programs not being a citizen. Being in the healthcare industry in NY you can get medicaid, food plus(essentially food stamps for non-citizens), free public school education, etc.

There are a million workarounds for federal programs and more for state programs. The fact that you cannot get welfare if not a citizen is untrue. From a pure safety standpoint, and I have seen it first hand with migrant workers in my area that come up for the summer months for farm work. The are largely uneducated, vaccinated and often bring illnesses that we vax for but they do not in their home countries. We in the Syracuse area had a smallpox outbreak linked to a migrant farm where about 18 migrant workers were hospitalized.

We actually have a large boarder patrol presence here in my area of CNY, not just because of border with Canada but we have 100's of migrant workers come here on work visa's and then disappear into society in the fall when it is time to return.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-10-30 14:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Taxes are largely done at the federal level while welfare spending is at the state level. The federal government reimburses states on much of their welfare expenditures and thus redistributes wealth.

https://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/public-welfare/federal-state-public-welfare-programs/

This system was put in place to assist the under developed rural area's by transferring some of the economic prosperity from the developed urban area's. It's a vital system because the economic engines that are cities rely on the resources and manpower produced in the rural, and the cities will rarely distribute that wealth back. Now because states control how the welfare is spent they can "distribute" it however they want, meaning give it to "poor deserving undocumented immigrants" with the only requirement be that they vote Democrat.

Democrats attempting to use this system to buy their way into power has resulted in all sorts of *** up economics happening.
So if I am understanding this correctly. The problem is still not the immigrants. The problem is still our system that is in place.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-10-30 14:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not sure exactly where you would lame blame, it could go a million ways. I have no problem with legal immigration. My father was in the Navy and met my Mom in Scotland. They got married and lived there for about 4 years. She came here with him on her card, studied and took the test and became a citizen. She waited in line and did it by the law.

Now take those who sneak across the boarder or anchor baby method. What makes them so special that they do not have to follow the laws that every other legal immigrant did? Are they more valuable?

What will they contribute to society? Unskilled? Uneducated? They are obviously unambitious as instead of changing their home nation they run away to make our nation, just like the one they ran from.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-10-30 14:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »

You can get many programs not being a citizen. Being in the healthcare industry in NY you can get medicaid, food plus(essentially food stamps for non-citizens), free public school education, etc.

There are a million workarounds for federal programs and more for state programs. The fact that you cannot get welfare if not a citizen is untrue. From a pure safety standpoint, and I have seen it first hand with migrant workers in my area that come up for the summer months for farm work. The are largely uneducated, vaccinated and often bring illnesses that we vax for but they do not in their home countries. We in the Syracuse area had a smallpox outbreak linked to a migrant farm where about 18 migrant workers were hospitalized.

We actually have a large boarder patrol presence here in my area of CNY, not just because of border with Canada but we have 100's of migrant workers come here on work visa's and then disappear into society in the fall when it is time to return.
To the part I put in bold text:
These are essential for fixing the issue with immigrants being uneducated, unskilled, not vaccinated. This is a good thing for immigrants and US citizens to provide these benefits. These benefits build up immigrants and makes them stronger and more valuable as citizens and in turn makes us stronger as a whole people. Fixing a problem requires investment. The same is true for immigrants and new citizens.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2018-10-30 14:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

To the part or what you said I put in bold:
These are essential for fixing the issue with immigrants being uneducated, unskilled, not vaccinated. This is a good thing for immigrants and US citizens to provide these benefits. These benefits build up immigrants and makes them stronger and more valuable as citizens and in turn makes us stronger as a whole people. Fixing a problem requires investment. The same is true for immigrants and new citizens.
Yes, I agree its great to build up, help them up, but not to HOLD people up. Sadly, I do see and hear people using the system to let them not do anything and let the state take care of their financial problems.

Mind you, that's not ALL of them, I know plenty that came here for good hard work and willing to do it, for their family, whether their family is here or there. Those people I like.
 Odin.Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-10-30 14:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree it is a temporary fix, but at who's cost? These procedures are expensive for starters and we have citizens who are denied social programs because of funding. Many of these people due to illegal status put absolutely $0 back in to the system.

I'm not sure about you but I would rather not pay for it when I have to pay enough for my own healthcare let alone someone elses.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-10-30 14:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So if I am understanding this correctly. The problem is still not the immigrants. The problem is still our system that is in place.

Gross oversimplification. Yes, the system is a problem, but there are certain individuals who are a problem no matter what system is in place, e.g. terrorists. Even in a perfect economic system, it would be important to vet immigrants and control borders.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-10-30 15:26:37
Link | Quote | Reply

That's like saying

"The problem with people isn't people but people".

Those who cross into the USA without inspection have already violated federal law and are by definition criminals. There is no such thing as "illegal immigrants" as you can't immigration someplace illegally. There are immigrants and criminals. Now we can argue the degree of criminality, stealing a candy bar isn't nearly as bad as murdering someone, yet the person who stole the candy bar has still committed a criminal act.

Allowing those who commit criminal acts into the US without inspection or vetting is very bad. Giving those same people welfare and free stuff is also very bad.

So yes those who cross illegal are bad and are a huge *** problem. Those who try cross over to drop out a kid right after are also very bad and deliberately abusing an exception.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-10-30 15:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »

To the part I put in bold text:

Wish it was that simple, it's not.

A large part of what makes a country great is it's culture, similarly a large part of what makes a country ***is it's culture. Culture isn't just food and dancing on special days, it's the foundation of a mentality that's shared across a nation. This mentality creates certain behaviors, having traveled around and lived in a completely different culture for over a decade I got a very strong appreciation of this fact.

In the current progressive ideology, no culture can be privileged over any other culture and all cultures are equal, unless your white then your culture is ***. Thus we got this idea that we should accept mass importation of shitty behaviors that undermine the success of this country. This marks the biggest difference between modern immigration and historic immigration. Previously immigrants came to America to escape ***places and start over, they openly admitted their homeland was ***, made their children learn English and worked towards them being successful. The important idea was that immigrants wanted to "become Americans" and thus add their own identities to the greater collective. You still see this with legal immigrants. Current illegal immigrants just want to come over and recreate their own shitty country and openly say how much they hate America.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2018-10-30 15:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

HEY NIK!

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/hillary-clinton-hinting-running-president-170829988.html
[+]
By fonewear 2018-10-30 16:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Nausi 2018-10-30 16:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Libs: Hillary Clinton was obviously joking when she said all black people look alike.

Also libs: Donald Trump was totally serious when he asked Russia to hack Clinton’s emails on live TV.
[+]
By Viciouss 2018-10-30 16:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Paul Ryan actually came out of hiding to squash Trump's fantasy of ending birthright citizenship on his own.
By Nausi 2018-10-30 16:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi said: »
14th ammendment in no way was intended to convey citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants. It was expressly written to give citizenship to slaves and the language was of the intent to prohibit citizenship to the ambassadors and foreign dignitaries that existed at the time. It was not intended to give citizenship to native Americans, as they weren’t subject to american law but tribal law instead.

There is a strong legal case for what Trump argues, so lets get it up to the SJC.

At that time there wasn't really any "illegal immigrants" and the language is written to make anyone born on US soil a citizen by birth. Traveling used to take many months so the concept of an "anchor baby" as a way to bypass immigration laws didn't exist either.

You would have greater success arguing for the removal of the 2nd Amendment then the 14th as the 14th's is iron plated in it's simplicity. Instead remove the incentive to use an anchor baby, that the mother can submit paperwork as the both beneficiary of legal status and as the petitioner for that beneficiary. Specifically the newborn baby petitions UCIS for legal status for the illegal mother requesting an hardship exemption because separation from the mother would bring extreme hardship on the US citizen baby. The mother signs for the baby as the babies legal guardian, she also signs for herself. This paperwork creates an immigration case that takes ~years~ to finish and it usually results in legal status being granted by an immigration judge.

I would propose to make that situation impossible, the beneficiary can not be the legal guardian of an infant petitioner and that specific exemption would no longer be considered. The baby would still be 100% a US citizen and would go into foster care or be given to an adoption agency. If the mother doesn't want to do that then herself and the baby are deported together. The baby can always be admitted but the mother can't be.

Would do away with the entire point of an "anchor baby".

The mild dive ive done has lead me to believe that there is documented precident that prior to the 60s, birthright citizenship was not interpreted in the same manner. There were foreign dignitaries and nationals that were not affored this privilege.

Constitutionally, if one precident has existed in the past and was not changed as a result of a ruling, then its certainly up for debate. The constitution is theoretically bound by the intent of the founders and those who wrote it. Thats what makes it not a “living document” and thus why the left hates it so very very much.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-10-30 16:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently someone thinks I'm a troll...I find that highly offensive. As trolling is strictly prohibited in section 2.1 of our internet agreement.
[+]
By Nausi 2018-10-30 16:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Secdonly, the 14th amendment does apply to “illegal” immigrants
By Viciouss 2018-10-30 16:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi said: »
The mild dive ive done has lead me to believe that there is documented precident that prior to the 60s, birthright citizenship was not interpreted in the same manner. There were foreign dignitaries and nationals that were not affored this privilege.

Constitutionally, if one precident has existed in the past and was not changed as a result of a ruling, then its certainly up for debate. The constitution is theoretically bound by the intent of the founders and those who wrote it. Thats what makes it not a “living document” and thus why the left hates it so very very much.

Seems like you need to do A LOT more research on the 14th Amendment, troll. I mean, Zero showed you how it became settled law in the late 19th century.
By fonewear 2018-10-30 16:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Please lecture me on the 14th amendment I need to know this.
By Viciouss 2018-10-30 16:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Please lecture me on the 14th amendment I need to know this.

All you need to know is it takes a Constitutional Amendment to make any alterations, and its never gonna happen. Nothing is up for debate. Class dismissed! Go out and enjoy the weather fone, while you still can.
By fonewear 2018-10-30 16:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This the internet everything is a debate...
[+]
By Viciouss 2018-10-30 16:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
This the internet everything is a debate...

GO OUTSIDE I SAID.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 73 74 75 ... 131 132 133