First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-09-17 00:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Legendia said: »
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
So what's the reason for taking Skathi to 5%? Because my group switched to just doing Freyja first and aside from the draw-in *** things up, had no real problems.
save time from having to spam turn every 5 seconds? hmmm

How? If you kill Freyja first, who dies as quickly as Skathi it seems, you get to remove her move entirely, if you DD Skathi first, but don't kill her, you still have to deal with her occasionally doing moves anytime she gets TP.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-09-17 00:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone likes to do ***the hard way.

It's significantly more irritating to drop skathi's hp first. It's irritating either way tbh.

Under 50% she spams, or freyja dead, she spams, either way, she spams.
 Cerberus.Boogs
Server: Cerberus
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-09-17 01:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
So what's the reason for taking Skathi to 5%? Because my group switched to just doing Freyja first and aside from the draw-in *** things up, had no real problems.

Skathi will gains Freyja's AoE (petri/poison) if Freyja is dead. And she spams it like Frigg spams charm. Also, killing adds first means they'll just repop.
By dustinfoley 2018-09-17 05:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

We did a bunch of pet only runs last night. Freyja -> Frigg -> Skath was far more effective.

The reason people do it for skathi is she gains aoe DOOM below a certain % and its ae not gaze, so killing her second for some parties without pet tanks makes more sense.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2018-09-18 05:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry it took a while.

Here is a video of a D win using a melee setup.

YouTube Video Placeholder

I played around with a plethora of strategies for making a melee setup work on VD but asides from either having three tank/DPS with amazing reflexes or using the React addon you're really better off spamming D if using a melee setup.

Freyja is weak to piercing damage so a Corsair and a Warrior/Dragoon/Thief/Dancer will make very quick work of her even without Geo-Frailty.

Frigg is weak to slashing damage so a Rune Fencer/Ninja tank timing weapon skills properly (Eagle Eye Shot) will wear her down.

Skathi is weak to blunt damage so a Warrior using a club (Su2 works very well) will annihilate her. Monk will also tear through Skathi.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-09-20 17:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Literally the only issue iv had on VD tanking is skathi spams hate reset move "Divine Retribution" to the point where recasts are down and Im left waiting to gain hate again, only for her to use Divine Retribution over and over and over. so annoying

but iv won prolly 20+ VD using Pup, rema cor, rema cor, rema rng, whm, pld or run just that occasionally, depending on when she does Divine Retribution or if she even spams it, it can get a little nuts towards the end. 10-13min runs
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-09-20 17:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Run
Brd
Cor
Cor
Rng
Whm

5-6min vd clears, 8 at the most.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-09-20 17:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

8 minute clears and 13 minutes clears is the difference between safety with a shout, and using a linkshell.

Wins a win.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-09-20 17:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

for me, most my runs iv learned that most rema cor are ***lol. on parse they both are usually 200-300k below my rng friend which slows everything down considerably and you dont really know how theyll do till your already in there but yea your right, its ls vs pickup groups
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-09-20 17:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude. For real. Cors are such a wide spectrum of fail.

Ones that can't melee. Ones that can't shoot. Ones that don't have leaden/wf. Ones that roll on lucky (without XI). Ones that don't even use Triple shot.

I can tell you from the 30 or so VD I've done only one cor has used light shot. and it's been absolutely zero light shots from E/N slumming runs.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-09-20 17:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is CORs can do rolls and use RD to reset triple and double shot. That's why 2+1 setup, three uses of super jas.
By BlaTheTaru 2018-09-20 17:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chaostaru said: »
on parse they both are usually 200-300k below my rng friend

Id be concerned if my rng wasn't 200k+ past a cor.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-09-20 17:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

im talking like final parse rng 500k, cor 200, other cor 100k lol
By Nariont 2018-09-20 18:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I can tell you from the 30 or so VD I've done only one cor has used light shot.

Why would you light shot something you cant sleep, seriously though I don't know whats worse, cors that don't light shot the diaII/III or mages that don't use diaI-III at all
[+]
By Afania 2018-09-20 20:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
seriously though I don't know whats worse, cors that don't light shot the diaII/III or mages that don't use diaI-III at all

If you want light shots, /p chat macro helps.

for me, most my runs iv learned that most rema cor are ***lol. on parse they both are usually 200-300k below my rng friend which slows everything down considerably and you dont really know how theyll do till your already in there but yea your right, its ls vs pickup groups

To be fair, the setup that you used drastically favors rng. No brd, geo = low attk and racc, and heavier racc swaps = less dps. 13 min fight is also too long to full time TS if WC isn't up. Cor heavily rely on attack buffs, racc buffs and keep up TS entire time to do good dps and keep up with rng.

On the other hand saevels setup has a brd, so cor will do much higher dps. Since fights are shorter the TS will be up entire time with rd reset too.

Even if same cor joins both your setup and saevels setup, with same gear and skills, they will perform much better in saevels pt because the conditions in his pt allows cor to perform much better, resulting faster kills and better use of full time TS.

Basically, as a ranged dd rng is a job that performs well in all situations and cor only performs well in very specific situations.
By Nariont 2018-09-20 20:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
If you want light shots, /p chat macro helps.

youd be amazed the amount of cors who dont come carrying cards, or even know what their shots do apart from the basic ele dmg/sleep/dispel. Eiryl's right in terms of the wide spectrum of cor quality on asura
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-09-20 21:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
To be fair, the setup that you used drastically favors rng. No brd, geo = low attk and racc, and heavier racc swaps = less dps. 13 min fight is also too long to full time TS if WC isn't up. Cor heavily rely on attack buffs, racc buffs and keep up TS entire time to do good dps and keep up with rng.

On the other hand saevels setup has a brd, so cor will do much higher dps. Since fights are shorter the TS will be up entire time with rd reset too.

Even if same cor joins both your setup and saevels setup, with same gear and skills, they will perform much better in saevels pt because the conditions in his pt allows cor to perform much better, resulting faster kills and better use of full time TS.

Basically, as a ranged dd rng is a job that performs well in all situations and cor only performs well in very specific situations.

On vd the cors used chaos + sam and Hunters + allies a proper geared cor doesnt need to switch from full store tp set to acc set at all with sushi and hunter up. as for TS full fight, yea that'd be nice. but even with the other setup during rolls cors sometimes use RD because of busts and whatnot so I wouldnt count on that. Either way, even with out TS up, a good cor should have a 3shot build which is still pumping out good numbers. Id love to include a geo but Honestly Im not exactly sure what triggers that draw in and Cant find a definitive answer on it either so thats why no geo for me. But if anyone know how to use a geo without draw in sharing is caring
By Afania 2018-09-20 22:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

On vd the cors used chaos + sam and Hunters + allies a proper geared cor doesnt need to switch from full store tp set to acc set at all with sushi and hunter up.

I just rechecked the number, currently, absolute BiS TS up set with fully augmented Fomalhaut and path A rostam should have 1318-1320 base racc. And BiS TS down set will have 1329 with volte feet from dyna bastok, and full augmented Rostam and Fomalhaut.

Usually VD requires 1450 minimum, some even need 1500. So while cor can* hit with sushi and lucky Hunter, it will require 3 incredibly expensive gears, rare drop and wave 3 clears. Missing those means sub 1300 base racc.

And even then, it's still 6 stp and big chunk of attack lose from using sushi over stp attack food.

The biggest dps lose however, is last stand set. More so since wsd glitch. My base last stand set with 53% wsd has at least 100 racc lower than tp set(*** dm augment gives me 10% wsd but 0 racc). For people with access to trove wsd ring and wsd augmented herc head it probably goes even lower. So you are looking at roughly 1200 base racc ws set if you aim to push wsd higher than 60%.

All while rng maintains full stp, full wsd without ever needing to switch and get higher base attack without geo.

Basically, no brd, no cor dps. Its one biggest weakness of the job And there no compromise to this unless SE gives cor A rank skill or more acc gifts.

but even with the other setup during rolls cors sometimes use RD because of busts and whatnot so I wouldnt count on that.

Using rd on rolls in a ranged attack ambuscade just isn't worth it in every way. A cor with TS up has 91% chance to ws back to back AND half of them will have 2000 tp overflow, without TS it's 45% less ws frenquency even with 3 hit. The dps between TS and no TS is night and day. If each ws do 35k, less ws means instead of ws 9 times for 315000 dmg you only ws 5 times for 175000, that's already 140k dps lose before counting extra dps from tp overflow. Of course there will be a 200k dmg gap v.s rng in a 13 min fight since rng double shot 2x last longer than ts. And double shot up= 1 hit to 1000 tp.

Rd should only be use on TS in a ranged setup ever. If you want faster runs, I suggest the first step is to setup RD rotation for TS and ideally change 1 job to brd. DD cor(doesn't matter which DD style) is kind of job that needs tons of love and baby sit, can't just randomly toss it into a generic setup without additional coordination and expect it to keep up with other DDs.

Edit: fixed math, I can't count numbers at 12am.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-09-20 22:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Eiryl's right in terms of the wide spectrum of cor quality on asura

Trust me, it's not just Asura.

But if anyone know how to use a geo without draw in sharing is caring

It's already been covered in the thread. Don't enfeeb or target a bubble on Freyja and you won't get drawn in. Also it's Legion hate rules, so your GEO doesn't even have to tag.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-09-20 22:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If your tank is holding Freyja + skathi (+frigg) you can just drop the bubble on skathi, problem solved.

And you can get away with dia in the beginning without triggering drawin (at least, not 100%) Freyja should be dead within one application of dia.
By Afania 2018-09-20 22:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »
Eiryl's right in terms of the wide spectrum of cor quality on asura

Trust me, it's not just Asura.

Or wide spectrum of PUG setup that simply doesn't favor cor >.>

1) tank can't hold hate or not very good at rapid hate generation via aoe hate ja = cor won't do good dps.

2) no acc/racc/attack buffs or low on those = wont do good dps.

3) worst of worst: no haste buffs = argh.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-09-20 22:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not even about buffs, it's people showing up with no bullets, no cards, zero marksmenship skill, no merits in last stand, no snapshot set, dont use triple shot at all.

I mean like this isn't uncommon for ANY job, but it's very prevalent with cors.
By Afania 2018-09-20 22:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I mean like this isn't uncommon for ANY job, but it's very prevalent with cors.

Probably because whenever a new player ask "what job should I level to get pt invite without good gear as a new player" 90% of people will answer "cor". So they just follow the advice.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-09-20 23:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably because whenever a new player ask "what job should I level to get pt invite without good gear as a new player" 90% of people will answer "cor". So they just follow the advice.

Mmm, I think most players get an RMEA and a couple of gear sets and declare a job 'ready'. We know COR just isn't a job you can really do that on, for a variety of reasons. Even roll-only requires some logical/critical thinking, which for most is asking too much.

On the ranged DPS side, lack of auto-attacking for RA seems to trip most people up. They either have slow/sloppy manual RA timing, or end up handing control of everything over to AutoRA. Both usually result in stunted DPS.

Even if you do manage to unearth a COR that does decent ranged DPS, chances are likely that they are still going to be completely clueless about enmity-control and defense. I'm sure you've seen CORs (especially bandwagon Fomalhauts) just go ham on things without a care, at the cost of everybody's safety, and they usually end up dead.

RNG has some of the same problems, but COR has racc/enmity issues that RNG doesn't have to contend with. It's really not a simple job to play, yet it seems a lot of people insist on playing it.
[+]
By Afania 2018-09-21 00:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really not a simple job to play, yet it seems a lot of people insist on playing it.

Because pirates are cool ;) drinking, gambling and pew pew is best life style ever. ;)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-09-21 06:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really not a simple job to play, yet it seems a lot of people insist on playing it.

Because pirates are cool ;) drinking, gambling and pew pew is best life style ever. ;)

+ Naked leech job.
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2018-09-21 10:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a lot of arguments in favor of it. If I were gonna bring a mule/new player/shout person to something I'd throw them on COR too (or a Dunna GEO). Once I know they are good I could put them on a more critical role.

• A roll only COR is fine for most things. It's easy to do the minimum expected of you

• Can gear up adequately from AH/Vendor/D.box Regal Necklace from Main. You can buy a Barataria Ring from the AH or with a Kupon AW-WK. Can't get Dunna/Idris/Gjallarhorn/Terpander etc. as easily.

• COR DPS usually doesn't matter. Usually only affects kill speed. More TP feed means your other players have to be better.

• It's hard to mess up. If the person is a liability you can throw them on COR. Liabilities on other jobs can make or break a run. Especially tank and healer. It's (usually) easy to carry a bad COR as long as they are rolling the right rolls in Barataria Ring or Regal Necklace.

• You can be useful without having to cap skill. I know it isn't hard to cap skill but GEO BRD RNG (WHM) without capped skill are useless. I've had people come RNG to high tier AA fights when they were done RNG style without having Archery/Marksmanship skilled and they parsed floored r.acc with SV Preludes. A COR that misses can still roll.

• While it does need merits it doesn't need job points in the same way other jobs do. E.G. The difference between a 0 job point RUN and a master RUN.

• It's super fast to make.

• It's easy Ambuscade gil for mules most months.

• The problem with Dunna GEO is you're competing for a slot against Idris GEOs.

• If you play COR you never have to go without Samurai Roll.

I get that the above doesn't hold entirely true for this month's ambuscade and it's frustrating when the COR is expected to deal ranged damage and can't. But a Roll only COR and 2 RNGs, or a Roll only COR and 2 Real CORs. can probably clear this month fine.

I also get that it sucks to see your favourite job played poorly but I don't think it's bad advice to level COR as a support to get your other jobs items.

TL;DR:
Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »

+ Naked leech job.
[+]
By Afania 2018-09-21 20:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Reain said: »
I also get that it sucks to see your favourite job played poorly but I don't think it's bad advice to level COR as a support to get your other jobs items.

I like the fact that cor has high floor and gives new people a chance to start participating in endgame. The job has less reflex requirement or studying to do than run, whm, dnc, rdm, pup etc, and it doesn't put new player in a position that they are really responsible to the success of a pt.

However I also feel job market has changed a lot in past 3 years and cor role is not particularly friendly towards new player anymore. Not just this month, but almost everything else as well, bar SMN setup maybe. But gl getting a leech spot on cor in smn pt as a new player.

Personally, I think a new player with an ambition to establish themself in endgame community with minimal gear should play whm. Its absolutely the easiest job to gear AND it gives a new player a chance to build solid reputation + learn the game mechanics that leads to more real opportunities.

Try to do the same on cor, it usually leads to dead end and more dead ends, until everyone remembers this person as "bad cor who plays the job like ***" and ruined all the subsequent opportunities. Ive seen too many new players falls into cor trap and ended up not getting anywhere in the endgame community. They could have done a lot better playing a job that they truly love, or play a job with more weight in pt with low end gears.

I mean, I career the job, and there are times that I struggled so hard to get into a better position in endgame and still failed while other players on different (more critical) job role progressed so much easier with less effort. A new player on cor with lesser gears and experience will probably struggle even harder.

Just my 2 cents.
[+]