Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2018-11-14 10:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Random is random, but loud thud or bust

kinda the theory I've been operating on. 6 orbs / 6 deaths thus far.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-11-14 10:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just kind of wondering. With all of the orbs going around, and the amount of deaths everyone is probably eating, isn't it best to start forming groups to down the Mimic, especially if you're buying orbs and trying to maximize loot? Even if you use 3-4 people, should be a pretty quick fight for a guarantee loot spoil, no?

I understand the ANV key mentality, pop and go, but for those who are buying excessive amounts of orbs, would make a lot more sense.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-14 10:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no scenario where killing the mimic is worth the effort. They've got to make the mimic drop a Body Voucher or something to make it worth while. (not 100%)
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-11-14 11:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no scenario where killing the mimic is worth the effort. They've got to make the mimic drop a Body Voucher or something to make it worth while. (not 100%)
Yeah fight it and get a bunch of frayed sacks meh
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-14 11:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Make mimic worth a loud thud. Done.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Inx
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2018-11-14 16:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Making the mimic give a loud thud effect would completely defeat the purpose of the content. It'd just become another standard BC.

Everyone would just group up and aim to kill it, especially given the deliberate constraints on orb availability.

The point of the thing, and why the best rewards are so disproportionately good, is that you aren't supposed to win every time. Its supposed to be a lottery.

The function of the Mimic is to provide a fail-state, so the risk of opening another chest is meaningful. That it is possible to kill the Mimic is a secondary, independent risk/reward where the only gain you can make is the title and the satisfaction of having achieved victory.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-14 17:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with that is there is literally no reason to do it. There needs to be a reason, or it just should exit you upon failure.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Inx
By Ragnarok.Inx 2018-11-14 17:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends if you want the bragging rights from getting the title and the satisfaction of having won.

The thing is it basically does exit you by casting death immediately on being spawned.

It works in the inverse to the way most content does, insofar as although it supports up to a party, it seems to me that its deliberately constructed to encourage solo play. Only the person opening the chest gets the 5mil bonus, and its entirely pointless if not going solo to take less than a full group.

This also adds an interesting wrinkle by making item duplication a real concern for soloers; I'm fairly certain that if you already own a rare item, its simply discarded from the loot list. Earlier this week I got nothing whatsoever from a loud thud, presumably because I already had the piece it should've awarded. The number of minor pieces certainly corresponded to the usual amount from the "noise" chests I opened.

Sure it'd be nice if killing the mimic got you something, but by the same token it'd also be nice if that after playing this game for over a frickin decade I'd get more than junk from my mog bonanza marbles. Lotto don't work that way though.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-11-14 17:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Inx said: »
Making the mimic give a loud thud effect would completely defeat the purpose of the content. It'd just become another standard BC.

Everyone would just group up and aim to kill it, especially given the deliberate constraints on orb availability.

The point of the thing, and why the best rewards are so disproportionately good, is that you aren't supposed to win every time. Its supposed to be a lottery.

The function of the Mimic is to provide a fail-state, so the risk of opening another chest is meaningful. That it is possible to kill the Mimic is a secondary, independent risk/reward where the only gain you can make is the title and the satisfaction of having achieved victory.
After all of that..still no real reason to kill the mimic compared to dying rinse and repeat. The end.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-14 17:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want bragging rights, you gonna have to hop in a time machine son, that's 2014 speak
[+]
 Ragnarok.Inx
By Ragnarok.Inx 2018-11-14 17:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

And... Killing the mimic isn't the point of the content, getting lucky and picking the right chest is. Its really that simple.

You want to kill something tough and get a (more or less) guaranteed reward, plenty of other stuff has got you covered.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-15 01:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Massive over estimation of SE's intent. This is just another random ***fest to keep addicts gamblingPaying subs and mules
[+]
 Asura.Blitzjr
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blitzjr 2018-11-15 07:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Asura.Blitzjr said: »
Anyone else have the glitch where someone not in your party winds up in your instance? Lost two Venus orbs to the same person because of this?

Doesn't sound like a typical glitch. Maybe they didn't properly secure the final chest and some *** is POSing in and stealing boxes? What exactly did you see?

Hey thorny. Well I got my Venus orbs on two or my chars. I joined party between those two. Went to enter the BCNM with only those two characters in party. I had faked for like 20 seconds and came back to see the cheat openings. As I ran towards the arena the Chest O Plenty spawned and we wiped. Person was out of the arena before I could see their dead body on the pull in. I was stupid enough to not take their name from the chat log for at this point I thought it was glitched. Went to pop my second orb immediately after and then I actually saw the person in my bcnm. This time they warped out before popping chest idk if it’s because I actually saw them this time or because a glitch. Either way I’m skeptical or them even getting another orb that fast and just so winding up in “my” instance again even if they went and got another orb. Just seems sketch.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-11-15 07:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Inx said: »
And... Killing the mimic isn't the point of the content, getting lucky and picking the right chest is. Its really that simple.

You want to kill something tough and get a (more or less) guaranteed reward, plenty of other stuff has got you covered.
Facts
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-11-15 07:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want bragging rights, you gonna have to hop in a time machine son, that's 2014 speak
Lol dead
 Asura.Ajirha
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2018-11-15 08:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

idk about all this orb highjacking but you can have 2 orbs back to back.
come in with your orb and your free mars orb RoE done but unable to have that reward. use first mars, ditch it, get 2nd from RoE right away.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Blitzjr
By Asura.Blitzjr 2018-11-15 08:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ajirha said: »
idk about all this orb highjacking but you can have 2 orbs back to back.
come in with your orb and your free mars orb RoE done but unable to have that reward. use first mars, ditch it, get 2nd from RoE right away.

I’m not saying you can’t. I’m saying it’s funny how he winded up in my exact instance again, at the exact same time that I went in again.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-15 09:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying someone is hijacking orbs either, I haven't seen it personally, but the BC is obviously not entirely using recycled instance code as it has unique interactions. It's perfectly possible the devs adding it did not realize that the old instances were not true instances and didn't apply any sort of check. Blitz's description certainly makes it sound very suspicious.
[+]
 Asura.Blitzjr
By Asura.Blitzjr 2018-11-15 09:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I’m more so concerned that if people are doing this the help desk said they can’t help me at this moment and basically just wasted a month of my time since it was 2 Venus orbs. More salty than anything so atm I’m just selling them. Idk.
 Lakshmi.Darkdoom
user: DarkdoomG
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2018-11-15 09:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Blitzjr said: »
Yeah I’m more so concerned that if people are doing this the help desk said they can’t help me at this moment and basically just wasted a month of my time since it was 2 Venus orbs. More salty than anything so atm I’m just selling them. Idk.

Enough people report it, they can patch it so only people with BC status can open the chests. 100% sure they forgot you don't need the status to open chests since people POSing into bc/ks to steal chests hasn't been relevant for years now.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-15 09:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You must be new, it doesn't matter if ten thousand english speaking players report it.

Do it to a single JP player and it'll get fixed though.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-11-15 09:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The best thing you can do is use your monthly orb (do a /sea of the zone before entering, don't pick the zone with the very long hill to walk up to) and save every silver voucher you get. Then when you're ready, you can unload and do dozens of orbs back to back.

IMHO, I wouldn't sell Mars or Venus Orbs, not right now at least. Everyone has them, and your payout is potentially larger if you sell whatever body drops you get from spamming 20+ orbs back to back. Though a guaranteed 60mil is fine I guess, getting 100+M on one orb is pretty neat, too.

This event is just full of gambles across the board.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-15 09:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

if my #s are anything to go by, they are worth much less than the 3m an orb and you should sell away
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2018-11-15 09:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
if my #s are anything to go by, they are worth much less than the 3m an orb and you should sell away
Probably should try equipping thief knife in multiple slots to up the drop rate
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-15 09:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

or hexed gages on your ears to keep warm in this brutal weather
[+]
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2018-11-15 16:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

chads said: »
Random is random, but loud thud or bust

Pretty much this, bought ~70 orbs this weekwnd in pursuit of Ashera Harness. This was how I played it and ended up with Regal Gloves (sold), Regal Captain's Gloves, SHAMASH Robe (sold),and Ashera Harness (!!!).

All loud thuds. Of course I'd say about 75% of the loud Thurs I ran into were crap.

How much did you pay per mars orb? im thinking of doing this too probably
 Asura.Blitzjr
By Asura.Blitzjr 2018-11-15 17:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbh the rate of actual success I’ve been having vs success in an orb I don’t think you lose by selling orb. Simply because Ive had about 20+ orbs since I’ve started doing it about only 2 months ago and have yet to even win a body. If I had sold all said orbs I’ve had I feel like I’d break about even. I’m a man of gauranteed cause I literally have ***luck.
First Page 2 3 ... 31 32 33 ... 67 68 69