Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Missing Vana'diel
Missing Vana'diel
 Bahamut.Farias
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Farias
By Bahamut.Farias 2009-10-06 13:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

So I was playing Dissidia and got to Shantotto's storyline and what do I hear in the background other then the Federation of Windurst song. It led to me taking a trip down memory lane.

I quit FFXI back in April because being a military parent with a 1 year old didn't leave time for partying. I moved servers during the Bahamut closing and had trouble adapting to my new server and fell into a social LS when I was used to be in an event LS and helping newbies on rank missions. So boredom led to me giving my best equipment to my long time friend and hanging up my Drachen Set.

I still have my account but doubt I could get decent enough gear to get my DRG going again and have a mule still chilling on Bahamut but don't think I have it in me to start over.

Any others out there miss the game but don't think you could get back into it?
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-10-06 15:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I still play occasionally, but I really miss the way the game used to be, when people used to play for fun. That's what makes it difficult for me to get back into it..the feeling of adventure is gone, now it's just nerds screaming and bickering at each other about gear.
 Bahamut.Farias
user: Farias
By Bahamut.Farias 2009-10-06 15:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:
I still play occasionally, but I really miss the way the game used to be, when people used to play for fun. That's what makes it difficult for me to get back into it..the feeling of adventure is gone, now it's just nerds screaming and bickering at each other about gear.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, I used to play for the adventure and had hours of fun running missions. Now it seems like FFXI is a glorified chat room or a place for the die-hard to have some version of a grind-fest.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-06 15:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Back a few years ago, I stopped playing because my parents forced me too. I lost my character, so I decided that I wouldn't try playing again. One day my friend started talking about FFXI again, and I was like "Hmm... that's a really fun game...." Anyway, I rejoined as a new character a year ago, and I'd say I've gotten pretty far. Sure, I felt like an outsider for a while since everyone who's on the game has been playing for like 5 years straight... but I'm really glad I joined again even if the game is slowly dying.
 Asura.Folant
Server: Asura
user: Folant
By Asura.Folant 2009-10-18 11:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Have to say, Shantotto's Distant Glory on Dissidia did get me starting to think about FFXI again, I've only been gone a few months though, but still, I, too, would find it hard to get attached to the game like I used to be, due to other commitments I've got now and different things in the future.

Would like to think I've left the game behind completely, but there's always going to be that itch eating at the back of my mind, hell, I visit FFXI sites still for no particular reason. lol
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-10-18 11:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shoulda stayed on Bahamut D:
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-10-18 13:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing you might try is playing the new FF when it comes out. It surely won't be the same as Vana'diel, but it would be the way FFXI used to be. People playing for fun, game growing instead of dying, etc. Plus everyone would be starting over together, so it wouldn't feel so much like you were left behind. I personally have absolutely no plans to move to the new game, but it might be a good option for you if you miss the way Vana'diel used to be.