Why Nuke With Grioavolr?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » Why nuke with Grioavolr?
Why nuke with Grioavolr?
First Page 2
By geigei 2018-01-31 02:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Since ammurapi shield showed up i was mesmerized, doing lots of kei at the time a bump in macc seemed best for me so i found out about gada/ammurapi combo.

I see everyone nuke with grio tho, whats the reason behind it? club/shield gets more macc and mab, the only downside i found is the loss of Mdmg, quick math showed the extra mab covered that and some.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-31 02:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Grio also has a lot of Int, plus the strap.

Also I was using it since before omen, and since blm is dead. as. ***. haven't updated sets.

Grio + Enki has 49 INT Magic Accuracy+64 "Magic Atk. Bonus"+60 (perfect augs) + Burst Damage

Gada + Ammurapi has int 29 macc 58 mab 54 (no augs)
By Davorin 2018-01-31 02:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

"Everyone" is an annoying hyperbole. Availability and augments have a lot to do with what gear some players use.
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2018-01-31 02:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

grio can get 11%mburst to let you use other pieces of nuking gear or give more options for augments from merlinic
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-01-31 04:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't put 10,000 Beitetsu into Idris for nothing.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-01-31 04:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The other 3K Bei
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
You're doing it wrong! Clearly the 10k beitetsu into Idris is for dat sexy 269 skill when you're spamming Hexa Strikes.
(lol)
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-01-31 05:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
The other 3K Bei
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
You're doing it wrong! Clearly the 10k beitetsu into Idris is for dat sexy 269 skill when you're spamming Hexa Strikes.
(lol)

That's mostly what it did for me because until Omen Grio still nuked better, but Idris has to be mainhanded for the +geomancy so it has to be BiS for meleeing.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-01-31 05:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I use AG Idris + Ammurapi msyelf for nuking because I'm lazy, I'm cheap and I want to avoid complex handling of MH swapping in my GEO lua.

Without AM2 up though I do believe that Gada+Ammurapi or Grio+Grip are better nuking tools, considering good augs of course.
But keeping AM2 up is not really what I'd consider something realistic or practical though.

I guess Idris has an edge with the tipically higher macc on average though? If that matters for what you're nuking against (and after the Languor nerf it might as well matter) then I guess Idris might produce good results.

Either way, I didn't bother too much about it. AG Idris is "good enough" for me.
Also to be completely honest while I DO advocate GEO nuking (or using /RDM and /WHM spells, ya know!) it has to be said that sometimes it's better not to.
It depends on the kind of content you're tackling, on your party/alliance setup and on wether or not Rayke is up.
In some circumstances spamming nukes on GEO might raise your personal DPS of course but end up reducing the Alliance DPS because of the cumulative elemental resistance (you could end up gimping nukes from "real" main nukers, for instance).

But as I said, that's not an issue at all against certain targets.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-01-31 05:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I've already obtained 4/5 Ea+1, so I'm interested in seeing how it can handle actual content.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-01-31 05:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Which piece are you lacking? I assume hands because you already have Amalric+1?
 Asura.Darian
By Asura.Darian 2018-01-31 05:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully he isnt using the feet. Ea feet are garbage.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-01-31 05:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean for the shitty Int? I assumed it was a translation error and that the value was actually higher.
Is it really just +5?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-01-31 06:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 4/5 except feet. I never got amalric+1 for that account since GEO was so far behind BLM I didn't see it worth the 90mil+ investment. But it was under 150mil for 4/5 Ea+1, which can be sold again, used on BLM if I ever for some reason went BLM, etc. so worth it.

I was going to wait on body since our relic/empy have hopes of being solid, I imagine nothing will outclass Ea for MB's. Just might get a better free nuke piece from JSE.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jumeya
Server: Fenrir
user: Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2018-01-31 07:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There's over a 100 base magic damage difference between Gada and Grio, this needs to be addressed in your comparisons/spell choices
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-01-31 07:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So, how much matk does it take to overtake 93 magic damage?
 Fenrir.Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2018-01-31 07:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Different spells have different caps/benefits from Magic Damage contribution, so it's not just a straight up MAB factor.

This makes AG Idris quite lucrative for nuking.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-01-31 08:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, but the OP is about gada + ammurapi shield being better than Grio + Enki. I've got a gada and an ammurapi shield, so I was asking in general at what point matk would beat +93 magic damage.

Edit: I think we're on the same page, I don't see Gada nuking for more (max) over Grio/Enki. Probably more consistent due to more macc, but not more max, unless I'm missing something.

Edit2: For reference, here are my Grio and Gada Augs
Code
name = "Grioavolr", augments = {'Mag. crit. hit dmg. +9%','MND+6','Mag. Acc.+28','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+22',}
name = "Gada", augments = {'"Cure" potency +5%','AGI+4','Mag. Acc.+25','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+20','DMG:+11',}
By geigei 2018-01-31 09:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

My gada haz 15 int 25 macc 24 mab, a bursted thunder 5 is around 11k dmg, grio
Enki barely behind by a few hundred dmg.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-01-31 10:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the augment on your Grio staff. My Gada is comparable to yours sans the INT (4 matk off). I'm just trying to get a handle on this. My gada/shield combo gives me an extra 31 macc/22 matk at the expense of 93 magic damage and 10 int.
 Fenrir.Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2018-01-31 11:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »

Your observed differences will depend on the dINT tier you're reaching on the content you're doing. Also note, compare a lower tier in difference (say T4s, and T3s) to *** your magic damage difference in scaling.

Still as geo? that gada will probably serve you the most consistently for content 125+, with the next logical improvement by doing Idris AG (bonus, easy aftermath with wings and bubble retains DT, plus additional almost 50 m.acc with same magic damage as grio)

You can juggle in Culminus Shield for t1/2 spells to check your differences as well and gauge your gains/loss vs magic damage.
By geigei 2018-01-31 11:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I used perfect augm for both grio and gada.

I didnt think about AG my idris actually, am2 would be 70 mab total? good in escha, impossibru outside?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-31 13:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You're only bursting 11k thunder 5? (on what?)

Is that zero buff with just weapons?
 Fenrir.Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2018-01-31 13:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Again highly dependent on what he was fighting with various amounts of DT and level correction. You cannot presume it to be low.

For example, I do 17k non burst Fire V with malaise on transcendent fly omen no weather/day and 79k bursted same mob (I do not currently enjoy any EA gear)

You need a constant comparison point

Also, anyone notice cardinal chant going over burst damage cap? I’m getting a 9.7% damage boost nuking from east (mob west of player). I only sampled 10 on unity fly

Geomancy Gallero +3 might actually be BiS burst, toggle here might be a good idea
By geigei 2018-01-31 13:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

11k is calculated dmg using formula.
By clearlyamule 2018-01-31 13:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no magic damage level correction. But yes many many factors play a part to make the 11k make sense though if you are doing 11k T5 bursted and it's not because of gear/buffs it's probably not good target to be bursting at least with that element
 Fenrir.Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2018-01-31 13:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Apologies, level correction as in dInt array
By clearlyamule 2018-01-31 13:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

11k is calculated dmg using formula.
Ah calculations might be part of the problem. Some magic pages are in the process of being updated as new info is coming out and seems the magic burst section hasn't been updated
 Sylph.Chocobro
Server: Sylph
user: Bilix
By Sylph.Chocobro 2018-01-31 15:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jumeya said: »
Again highly dependent on what he was fighting with various amounts of DT and level correction. You cannot presume it to be low.

For example, I do 17k non burst Fire V with malaise on transcendent fly omen no weather/day and 79k bursted same mob (I do not currently enjoy any EA gear)

You need a constant comparison point

Also, anyone notice cardinal chant going over burst damage cap? I’m getting a 9.7% damage boost nuking from east (mob west of player). I only sampled 10 on unity fly

Geomancy Gallero +3 might actually be BiS burst, toggle here might be a good idea

Yes, The Burst from Cardinal Chant is treated as a job trait, thus it's separate from the gear cap.
 Cerberus.Boogs
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-01-31 16:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Since ammurapi shield showed up i was mesmerized, doing lots of kei at the time a bump in macc seemed best for me so i found out about gada/ammurapi combo.

I see everyone nuke with grio tho, whats the reason behind it? club/shield gets more macc and mab, the only downside i found is the loss of Mdmg, quick math showed the extra mab covered that and some.

Have you given any thought to how much easier a grio is to obtain vs. that shield? And stones are fairly easy to solo as well (if you have a BLU, for example) so you should also be able to get fairly good augments on the grio -- probably long before you might see that shield drop (max of 6 runs per week vs unlimited grio farming).
First Page 2