Forum » FFXI » NMs » High tier battlefields
High tier battlefields
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-12-20 08:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So I’ve gotten this question a lot lately. Unsure what others think so here we go.

What is in your opinion the easiest high tier battlefield to farm REM items? Now not looking for who’s right or wrong just the majority opinion. Mine is tenzen he’s a joke.
 Asura.Brahk
Server: Asura
user: Brahk
By Asura.Brahk 2017-12-20 09:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I would agree as I have been dual-boxing Tenzen VD during this campaign.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-20 09:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Would have to agree on Tenzen. It's just silence and go to town. He really can't kill you on BLU if you always keep shadows up and watch your MP. It's the one I can solo on Diff with my eyes closed, and VD if I carefully take my time. I'm not sure of any other VD battlefields that require so little effort for the same reward.

People have mentioned Leviathan, especially if you have extra characters, but that requires you to voke, ws, cast spell at the appropriate time to weaken and proc it, which is just annoying, as it gets reset after every 1 hour. If you're multiboxing, Leviathan is a joke as well (i know of a BLU who frequently solos VD).

Having the trust campaign active makes Leviathan pretty easy to feat, but my vote still goes to Tenzen.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-12-20 09:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan by a lot.
By clearlyamule 2017-12-20 10:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been forever since I did one but I use a lot of pet strats so would do the avatars that proc a lot on pet moves. iirc that was garuda or maybe shiva
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-12-20 10:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it varies by avatar the procs. But, for pure melee Leviathan is best. Takes 2~ mins on VD
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-12-20 11:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
Yeah, it varies by avatar the procs. But, for pure melee Leviathan is best. Takes 2~ mins on VD
Looks like I’ll try this. So any time they do a ja or spell WS? Also I heard the one hour destroys everyone is this true or?
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-12-20 11:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Tidal Wave is timed, and is a hate reset/proc reset. Doesn't do much damage wise. Grand fall is what does damage, but you can easily move out of range for it, or just take it. Trust positioning is key, though you could easily solo Leviathan VD without trusts.

The proc system weaknesses vary between Avatars. Leviathan being the ideal one for melees is because magic takes away the melee damage reduction(casting while it is doing a WS or casting a spell), abilities takes away the magic damage reduction, and weapon skills reduce the additional effect from the Avatar. You only have to proc each once(it is three stuns for you), unless Tidal Wave goes off.
By clearlyamule 2017-12-20 11:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Great thing about the avatars is you can kind of proc lock them while you fight.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-20 12:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't know about kiting Grand fall. good to know.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-12-20 12:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Great thing about the avatars is you can kind of proc lock them while you fight.
Sounds possible
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-12-20 13:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Didn't know about kiting Grand fall. good to know.

If you position yourself right, just have to take a step back.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-20 13:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Explain? You talking about fighting at the bend (trusts begind you) for height difference?
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-12-20 13:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Grand Fall has short range and is decently slow. You can stay at 5 or w/e distance and when you see Grand Fall move a step or two back. You will be out of range.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-12-21 10:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it really that short of range?
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-12-21 10:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes.
 Shiva.Berzerk
Server: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2017-12-21 10:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vedder said: »
Is it really that short of range?

It's 8-10 yalms iirc, and you can outrun spinning dive the same way.
By eliroo 2017-12-21 11:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the typical setup strategy for leviathan?
By fillerbunny9 2017-12-21 11:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I tend to just bulldoze rather than weave in and out, but I have a pocket WHM for Bar-spells. I set in Saline Coat and Magic Barrier for defensive use and Blinding Fulgor for M. Evasion trait. I prefer Sweeping Gouge to Tenebral Crush because you can use it to proc quickly and has a short windup. keeping Occultation up is important to keep damage under control, as it removes most of the danger from the fight. he sometimes likes to Poisonga/Waterja immediately after you get a fresh batch of shadows up, so don't be afraid to switch into a -DT set. you can eat Miso Ramen for an HP and defensive boost if necessary. trusts I use are King of Hearts, Shantoto II, Yoran-Oran and Selt'heus. they help with proccing and should keep you alive. I run in, engage, get a proc, pull to a corner to get the trusts out of -ga/ja range, get AM3 up, and then shred him down. you'll spend more time re-getting your Key Item than you will actually swording him down.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-21 12:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM for barspells makes a huge difference. Shantotto 2 dies otherwise without it, as she only has 1541 HP.
By fillerbunny9 2017-12-21 12:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

if you pull Leviathan away from them, however, the only real danger to her is Tidal Wave, and that tends to happen for me only in the last ~20% or so of the fight. sometimes more, sometimes less, but by then it's all downhill anyways.
By Darkvlade 2017-12-21 13:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I was doing PRomathia mosstly for the body for me and my sidekick on D, it was pretty easy on BLU, first half goes really fast, for the 2nd part I just sudden lunge its TP moves, and fght it by entrance where you zone in case it gets stupid with meteor.
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2017-12-21 14:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Question: I quit about 3 years ago (right around when they added Vagery). With the addition of all the new gear and also allowing us to have 5 trusts, can we solo High Tier Battlefields? There's a few odds and ends of items I want (Spirit Link/Reward Earring from Puppet in Peril) but getting a group together for this is a pain because the other gear is outdated. Are we allowed to bring trusts into these BCNMs? If not, has the relative power of our characters improved enought to allow soloing these on normal/hard since then? I'm assuming that since the level cap is still 119, I'm going to go with "no".
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-12-21 14:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You summon trusts after you go in. So, yes you can bring trusts.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-21 14:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
There's a few odds and ends of items I want (Spirit Link/Reward Earring from Puppet in Peril) but getting a group together for this is a pain because the other gear is outdated.

This fight is hella annoying. GL. You can lowman it and it's not a challenge, it's just annoying af
[+]