users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Dev Tracker - Discussion
Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 394 395 396 ... 448 449 450
By Felgarr 2023-09-02 09:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Dubaiii said: »
AMPs just ruines the point of teaming up or helping orher people with clears while you are RPing.
I get what you're saying, and I can't disagree with you.
But you're missing the whole picture here, three aspects in particular.
Please allow me to further elaborate.

Aspect 1 - Difficulty

Aspect 2 - Personal needs

Aspect 3 - Psychological Constraint

Some of these issues couldn't have been solved. It's what you get for creating an event that, on its highest difficulty, purposedly targets a very small minority of players, raising the challenge to the highest it has ever been in FFXI history.

They could've lessened these problems by creating a special "free" entry KI that allows you to help other people but you get absolutely nothing in return. Not at launch of course, but X months after release, why not? It would've surely have helped the situation.

But SE refused to do so, and in light of this can we blame people who made large use of the >5% strat?
In my opinion no, we can't.

I agree 100%. However, I also don't understand why SE just does not incentivize collaboration. There should be reasons for folks to go back, spend their segments and do Odyssey to help people who don't have clears.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-02 09:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't want to over incentivize mercing.

And they aren't creative enough to figure out a way to make players help without rewarding mercs (or overloading the queue/servers with nonstop entrances). So they just make it suck for everyone (bonus misery)

Any little thing you can think of just ends up with mercs going endlessly. Bonus phones. Free phones. More segs = free phones. More RP trades for free phones. Bonus exemplar is laughable.

"But why!??!11!"
It's the last stuff theyre ever making. It's gotta drag on. Sortie and Gaol.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 10:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »

I'm a bit puzzled though, why are you taking this topic so much by heart if you don't even know exactlyhow it works? (maybe because atm you're not playing, I dunno)
For the bajillionth time, this conversation stemmed from someone quitting because they were "bored of repetitive non-challenging mundane or luck based content" (in simple terms). This led to V25, which led to RP farming, which led to amplifiers being a necessary crutch to help low-tier players gain RP, then if its an exploit or working as intended.

At the end of the day, this statement is true, and it shouldnt be:
A group killing any V25 NM with 100% kill rate will net less RP Per segment than a group dong the 6% timeout amplifier exploit.

You can lay blame to the pitifully low RP earned for a kill if you want, considering how much RP is needed to cap something, but that above statement should not be true. You shouldnt be earning greater RP per segment intentionally failing compared to actually completing the content.
By Ultimaetus 2023-09-02 10:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I low key dislike the content that amounts to more than kill boss, loot drops.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 10:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
A group killing any V25 NM with 100% kill rate will net less RP Per segment than a group dong the 6% timeout amplifier exploit.

This isn't true though, because every group uses an amplifier for every attempt. The group killing the V25 successfully will get the points for the amplifier and the points for killing the NM. The idea that they wouldn't use an amplifier just because you said so makes no sense.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 10:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Weve gone from “amplifiers were to help weaker groups get RP” to “they are literally mandatory if you want RP”.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-09-02 10:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah man. Every comparison you've made has assumed no amplifier use among those successful at winning.

The real truth is that the wins in Ody aren't for earning RP, they're for unlocking the tiers of the augments, and then the actual RP'ing is more connected to success in getting segments in volume. Considering how the tiers are so locked, I don't get the frustration.

The 6%'ers might earn RP "faster" in your model, but they still gotta get the wins to apply all that RP. And without dedication to getting those wins, that's a lot of wasted RP at the end.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 10:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Weve gone from “amplifiers were to help weaker groups get RP” to “they are literally mandatory if you want RP”.

Have you even done the content..? Amplifiers are a buff, period. You use them regardless. It costs 3000 amps to do a run, but only 1500 more to triple it. In some imaginary world where people voluntary refuse to use amplifiers, maybe you'd have a point, but the usefulness of amplifiers does not go down if you're actually killing the monsters.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 10:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I see

Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 10:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not making a coherent point, we have no way of knowing SE's intent when adding amplifiers, and even if they were added 'to help weaker groups get RP', obviously everyone is going to use an item that's a straight buff.

You're making a ridiculous strawman and quoting it over and over as if that changes anything about how ridiculous it is.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 10:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Dudes still missing the point and not understanding.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 10:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Killing V25 NM without the buff at 100% kill rate should NOT yield less RP than a group timing out 3+ times after dealing 6% damage with ammplifiers.

Its a *** very simple statement. Stop going back to "but they can use amplifiers too". Its irrelevant to the fact that failure has a greater reward than success.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 10:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you are repeating a clearly faulty premise. You've spent pages and pages saying that killing the boss is worth less than 6% cheesing, but it's not true. Amplifiers exist, so any discussion of the boss has to be premised on them existing.

Killing the boss *without* an amplifier is worth less than cheesing *with* an amplifier. But, because there's no magical force preventing you from using an amplifier then trying, you're still going to get more RP by using the amplifier *and* trying to kill the boss. You aren't even going to take more time doing so, because you have to sit in the arena for the full 15 minutes regardless.

A valid argument would be that the relative reward for trying to kill the boss is far too low when amplifier cheese exists. That is not the argument you've been making, you just keep spewing the same hyperbolic lie. The only conclusion I can come to is that you haven't even farmed the content yourself, or you fundamentally misunderstand how it works.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 10:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup they still dont understand what I'm sayin.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 11:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

failure has a greater reward than success.

Again, amplifiers exist. It's a ridiculous premise, because there's no reason for the group trying to kill the boss to not use the amplifiers. It's like saying 'if you do a good run and throw out 2/3 of your rewards, you're worse off than someone who did a bad run and kept all their rewards'. No ***sherlock, but who is going to throw out their rewards to begin with?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-09-02 11:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

For the bajillionth time,
I know exactly how this conversation started, and it's not what I asked.
I was wondering why you specifically are showing so much interest in this topic when you don't even know how things work.
I mean you're perfectly entitled to be so interested, I was just curious about the reason why this conversation gets you so incredibly engaged.

Quote:
But this is wrong though. A group killing (or performing more than 5%) will always get more RP, given the same conditions for both groups.
We can argue the difference is too small, and I wouldn't be too much in disagreement with that, but the way you worded it is simply wrong.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-02 11:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

He states that unamped kill should reward more than an amped cheese.

But then an amped kill would be ridiculous.

Amplifiers simply shouldn't exist imo, or should only exist as rewards for killing, not being buyable. (kill bumba 25 get a bumba cheese amp)
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 11:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody is having trouble understanding what he's saying, it's just a meaningless abstract complaint. Saying 'amplifiers reward far too much for the amount of effort' would be accurate and probably largely accepted here. Saying 'you get rewarded more for not killing the boss than killing it' just demonstrates that he can't work within a concept that actually exists in the game.

Amplifiers are a buff to RP gain, and everyone uses them every fight regardless. There's no point in what-ifing about if people didn't use them. The issue isn't even that amplifiers exist, it's that the proportional reward granted by them is too high. If they straight tripled what you earned, and 5%ers still got next to nothing, there wouldn't be any complaints.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 11:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I see

This is you: (this is two days ago fyi, not 2021)
Shiva.Thorny said: »
I'd like to think the intention was to give a much better reward for failed attempts, so that people would be willing to try the NMs until they won.

and this is also you:
because there's no reason for the group trying to kill the boss to not use the amplifiers. It's like saying 'if you do a good run and throw out 2/3 of your rewards, you're worse off than someone who did a bad run and kept all their rewards'. No ***sherlock, but who is going to throw out their rewards to begin with?

Its exactly as I said above in my quote. You went from "a better reward for failed attempts" to "amplifiers are there everyone should use them". How is that any different from "help weaker groups get RP" to "they are literally mandatory if you want RP"
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-09-02 11:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Amplifiers simply shouldn't exist imo
Yes. When everybody (JPs included) where whining terribly about the fact that RP farm was so slow and the grind was too big, instead of adding amplifier they should've simply raised the RP given, period.

But in that way they wouldn't have managed to give a purpose to the tri-runs which, at that point, have very little point to exist but since the introduction of Amplifier they suddenly became very useful to "charge up" the amplifier.

They probably couldn't find another "cool" thing to give to the tri-runs and that's why they used amplifier instead of raising the base RP? I dunno, maybe? I agree it was probably an error on their side but whatever, too late now.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 11:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Its exactly as I said above in my quote. You went from "a better reward for failed attempts" to "amplifiers are there everyone should use them". How is that any different from "help weaker groups get RP" to "they are literally mandatory if you want RP"
Intention and outcome are different things. They are a buff, there is no reason not to use them. You seem fundamentally incapable of arguing the actual point, so this is a waste of time.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 11:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

And were back to a group killing V25 should not yield inferior segs/RP than a group doing the 6% chaeese.

Maybe I need a tier list.

Heres how the segs/rp ratio should be:
S-tier 100% kill rate on V25 with amplifiers
A-tier 100% kill rate on V25 without amplifiers
A-tier ~50% kill rate on V25 with amplifiers (I had this at B, changed it to A)
D-tier 6% cheese with amplifiers

Heres how the seg/rp ratio actually is:
S-tier 100% kill rate on V25 with amplifiers
A-tier ~50% kill rate on V25 with amplifiers
B-tier 6% cheese with amplfiers
F-tier 100% kill rate on V25 without amplifiers

Ya see the difference? Considering we were on the topic of "is this how amplifiers were intended to work". You're looking at it from a nerf level, as in amplifiers should be nerfed, although its SE so every solution is nerf. I'm looking at the other end, the RP for killing without amplifier is ridiculously too low.

Its absolutely the most ridiculously simple statement:
"100% kill rate on V25 without amplifiers" should be higher than "6% cheese with amplifiers".
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-09-02 11:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

if an entire room cannot comprehend the speaker, the issue is not with the audience. At some point I hope you either find a new way to form your position, or just realize its not one everyone shares or even wants to share because its full of holes.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 11:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Except Eiryl, Dubaiii, Skald and Prothescar pretty clearly grasped what I'm saying, and there have only been <10 posters the last 2 pages so...
Sounds like you just dont want to understand cause you're afraid SE will read this and nerf it? Its already been established as meta. Nerfing it now would just draw ire from the community like the Sortie stage 4 bosses.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 11:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue is that you're arguing a completely irrelevant thing. Amplifiers are a gameplay buff. Thus, nobody intelligent will ever do any runs without amplifiers. To put it in your own style:

How it should be:
S-Tier: Killing mob with amplifier.
A-Tier: Nearly killing mob with amplifier.
B-Tier: Making a real attempt at mob with amplifier.
F-Tier: Doing 6% to mob with amplifier.

How it is:
S-Tier: Killing mob with amplifier.
A-Tier: Doing at least 6% with amplifier.

Your entire premise of 'but this is how it should be' while including runs without amplifiers makes no sense. Your issue isn't with amplifiers, it's with the ability to gain a large reward from minimal output. I don't even disagree with that point, you just seem to have a completely insane and irrational hatred for amplifiers themselves.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Siyual
Server: Ragnarok
user: Siyual
By Ragnarok.Siyual 2023-09-02 11:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Yeah,I didn't have the actual numbers, just estimates. I've since put it in a spreadsheet :D

For anyone farming RP, I added full RP charts to these pages a while ago:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Odyssey#Earning_RP
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Moogle_Amp.

It shows the actual formula and amp bonuses as a quick lookup.

I know the answer already
I want them to tell me its more efficient to do the cheese method vs risking failure farming V25 Bumba for RP, cause I want YOU to admit the cheese is an exploit that has become the meta, and as such SE can no longer go back on. But saying the cheese is more efficient than risking the 50% luck based "*** you" from V25 is exactly what the OP of this discussion said: they quit because content is boring, not challenging, or luck based.
I think you're missing the point. You don't have to choose between cheese and trying to kill. You can use the amplifier, try to kill it, then time out afterwards. You'll get more RP than 5% cheesing, in the same amount of time. So, whether you're measuring in segments or time it is still more efficient to try to kill it.
The point I'm trying to make is a group farming V25 Bumba without Amps winning every fight (which is nigh impossible) should NOT net less RP per seg than a group that is literally failing.

V25 Bumba win = 1164 RP for 3000 segment (0.388 RP per seg)

Please correct me if I have any steps in this wrong.
V25 timeout 6% = 29 RP
V25 timeout 6% = 29 RP
V25 timeout 6% = 29 RP
V25 timeout 6% with amp = 7013 FP

13500 segments spent for 7100 RP gained (0.526 RP per seg).

If I have those numbers wrong, once again, please correct me where there are errors.

If you have access to V25, you should always be using amps. Period.

An amped V25 6% will yield 2,357 RP. Doing 3x for a V25 charge will get you 7,071 RP total. You can convert any RP back to segments that you don't need as well.

A charged V25 amp will give a bonus 6,984 RP on top of what you would normally get. So a charged V25 6% 4th run would be 9,341 RP.

That gives a total of 16,412 RP.
Costing 18,000 segments for the KI and amps, that comes out to 0.912 RP per Segment.

Doing the charge without amps yields (same conditions as above) 29 RP per fight. The 4th charged amp fight will give the same 9,341 RP.

Without 3x amps on the charge the total is 9,428 RP.
Costing 13,500 segments for 4 KI and 1 Amp, that's 0.699 RP per Segment.

The difference being 6,984 RP, and a cost difference of 4,500 Segments between no amps on charges and 3 amps on charges.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 11:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes
Commenting how timing out after doing 6% dmg with amplifiers rewards exponentially greater rewards than success without amplifiers is completely irrelevant to the topic of intended practical use of amplifiers upon implementation and present use.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-02 12:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The intended use of an amplifier is to increase your cost by 50% in exchange for assuring a higher RP return. At ranks below 25, this means you can help a friend for the base cost of 3000 segments without additional RP, or you can pay the full 4500 to get a run at the value that we are clearly balancing around. Obviously once R25 came out, there was never a reason not to use an amplifier because it returns more RP than it cost and you can convert it back to segments.

The intended effect of adding amplifiers was likely to increase incentive for trying bosses that much of the playerbase considered too hard. If losses still gave a meaningful reward, then people would be less likely to be demotivated and quit the content if it took 30+ attempts to actually beat the boss.

The actual outcome was that people found the easiest way to get RP and abused the ***out of it. I am, in no way whatsoever, defending this is valid. I reported it as a bug myself when it came out, and criticized it endlessly on the forums. You're nitpicking random words out of peoples' posts just to try to find something you can consider a win, on a topic that pretty much everyone agrees with you on to begin with.

Amplifiers were a clear buff, with no meaningful downside. If they had just implemented it by increasing the cost per run to 4500 and giving it to everyone, you'd have the same take on it and it would have (mostly) the same gameplay effect. Even SE is not stupid enough to think that a 50% cost increase for a 200%(at worst) reward increase isn't a buff, so I'm not sure why you're arguing as if it were a choice rather than a change.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Siyual
Server: Ragnarok
user: Siyual
By Ragnarok.Siyual 2023-09-02 12:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes
Commenting how timing out after doing 6% dmg with amplifiers rewards exponentially greater rewards than success without amplifiers is completely irrelevant to the topic of intended practical use of amplifiers upon implementation and present use.

I was correcting your math, because it was quite wrong on the charged values (as you literally asked for in the post).

If you're going to use numbers as a basis for a discussion, they should at least be correct.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-02 12:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Siyual said: »
Yes

I was correcting your math, because it was quite wrong on the charged values (as you literally asked for in the post).

If you're going to use numbers as a basis for a discussion, they should at least be correct.
Your post popped up as i was making mine, my reply wasnt directed at you. Sorry for that confusion.
First Page 2 3 ... 394 395 396 ... 448 449 450