First Page 2 3 ... 335 336 337 ... 439 440 441
 Asura.Melliny
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2022-11-07 13:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You can get by with the standard two wardrobes if you do it right, and don't need 12+ jobs geared.

Five to ten jobs is pretty standard nowadays. You don't need to play everything, but you should have a mix between mage and melee, and be capable of filling various roles between various types of DD, Support, Tank, and Healer. The content s-e has been releasing kind of forces us to diversify. You can't tackle either odyssey or sortie effectively without a good group that has a good job diversity spread between the players. If you only run with the default 2 wardrobes your going to limit the amount of content you can do. Sure you can shuffle 60-80 pieces of equipment every time you change jobs between storage and wardobes as an alternative, but at that point the game becomes too much of a hassle imo.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-11-07 13:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Get nyame, play all 22 jobs, no wardrobes requred

Naegling covers half your weapons too, 6 total inventory.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-11-07 13:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I play six jobs and one of those is Red Mage with far too much equipment. There are ways to organise things better. I'd rather have that hassle than give SE more money for an inventory issue they created.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-11-07 13:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Get nyame, play all 22 jobs, no wardrobes requred

Naegling covers half your weapons too, 6 total inventory.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-11-07 13:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melliny said: »
Quote:
You can get by with the standard two wardrobes if you do it right, and don't need 12+ jobs geared.

Five to ten jobs is pretty standard nowadays. You don't need to play everything, but you should have a mix between mage and melee, and be capable of filling various roles between various types of DD, Support, Tank, and Healer. The content s-e has been releasing kind of forces us to diversify. You can't tackle either odyssey or sortie effectively without a good group that has a good job diversity spread between the players. If you only run with the default 2 wardrobes your going to limit the amount of content you can do. Sure you can shuffle 60-80 pieces of equipment every time you change jobs between storage and wardobes as an alternative, but at that point the game becomes too much of a hassle imo.

I actually agree with Kylos, I'm just too lazy to sort through all of my gear and reoganize.

Spicy made a thread about inventor 101 a while back, but most people could finesse the wardrobe game if they wanted to. You could commit to playing 1 of each job role and get by with the standard slots provided. Tank, Mage, DD, Support. That covers all areas. You can mule everything not relevant to gear to a 1$ mule and get by with 3-4 jobs using the standard inventory. Put all JSE on slips. Carry 1-3 capes per job, or make an all-in-one cape and commit to downgrading certain areas. Wear Nyame 5/5 for WS instead of having forty-five different combinations of high acc/low acc/some acc/some attack/high attack/capped attack/trust buffs/no geo/no cor/no songs sets. We could all do it, we just don't want to because it's suboptimal, and that's fine. But the game is still playable if you wanted to be limited in inventory.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-11-07 14:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Asura.Melliny said: »
Quote:

I actually agree with Kylos, I'm just too lazy to sort through all of my gear and reoganize.

Spicy made a thread about inventor 101 a while back, but most people could finesse the wardrobe game if they wanted to. You could commit to playing 1 of each job role and get by with the standard slots provided. Tank, Mage, DD, Support. That covers all areas. You can mule everything not relevant to gear to a 1$ mule and get by with 3-4 jobs using the standard inventory. Put all JSE on slips. Carry 1-3 capes per job, or make an all-in-one cape and commit to downgrading certain areas. Wear Nyame 5/5 for WS instead of having forty-five different combinations of high acc/low acc/some acc/some attack/high attack/capped attack/trust buffs/no geo/no cor/no songs sets. We could all do it, we just don't want to because it's suboptimal, and that's fine. But the game is still playable if you wanted to be limited in inventory.

Sometimes you have to decide if you seriously need 8 Ambuscabe capes for your main jobs, or if you can get by with 1-3.

I made a thread about inventory management earlier this year, although it may not have been on the main page for long, so many likely missed it:

FFXI Inventory Management Guide

A useful tip mentioned by somebody else in the thread is buying a wardrobe at the end of the month, specifically to put Lockstyle pieces and other things you cannot store or send (like Aeonics), before cancelling the wardrobe.

The game still allows you to use equipment stored in a cancelled wardrobe for lockstyles. It opens things up a lot, because you can put in old pieces that were clogging up your mules and make some interesting lockstyles with classic and modern pieces. It's an extra 80 slots (almost) for free.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also made a list of items we can/cannot send over to a mule last year. Some of it may be outdated now:

Options for storing more Items & Equipment?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2022-11-07 14:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Wear Nyame 5/5 for WS instead of having forty-five different combinations of high acc/low acc/some acc/some attack/high attack/capped attack/trust buffs/no geo/no cor/no songs sets. We could all do it, we just don't want to because it's suboptimal, and that's fine. But the game is still playable if you wanted to be limited in inventory.
This is the problem that these people have with inventory. They need to god-tier every available slot for every available situation for all 10 jobs (of which they only really play 3 or 4 on a semi-regular basis). If you have multiple Valorous WSD pieces because you need a STR one for most WS, but you also need a VIT one for when you so happen to use Upheaval or Torcleaver, but you also need a DEX one for PLD's CDC's, your inventory woes are your own fault. Just use the STR one. You're not gonna wipe because your WS avg is 60,500 instead of 61,000, and your e-peen wont even notice. If you have multiple of the same Apogee pieces for the SMN you play once every 3 months because "Path C is for gimp poors", those inventory woes are once again self inflicted.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-11-07 14:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Brah. Not gonna wipe if your wsavg is 500 under max? These morons heads will l.i.t.e.r.a.l.l.y. e.x.p.l.o.d.e. if their wsavg is ONE under max.

It's with no exaggeration, the silliest ***.

And lets not forget the shame, someone else always has parses running.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-11-07 14:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My parse goes something like this:

1) Did we win? Yes? Great. You want to know who did the most damage? Who cares?! We won. I'm more interested to find out if we can make the guy who did the least damage (provided he didn't get KO'd along the way) do more, so we can do this quicker next time. It doesn't matter that Player 1 topped Player 2 by 2%. We won.

2) Did we win? No? That sucks. Let's boost everybody's damage next time. Everyone needs to up their game. Even the guy who beat everyone else by 15%. Was it purely because of damage, or are we not handling the gimmicks properly? Or could it have been bad luck because someone had to AFK or was disconnected?

You know how I feel when I top a parse? I don't care. I'd prefer someone was close or just in front, because that's shared damage. A party is safer when the damage dealers are sharing overall damage. When one player is miles ahead, that puts extra stress on them and the healers to keep them alive.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-11-07 16:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
My parse goes something like this:

1) Did we win? Yes? Great. You want to know who did the most damage? Who cares?! We won. I'm more interested to find out if we can make the guy who did the least damage (provided he didn't get KO'd along the way) do more, so we can do this quicker next time. It doesn't matter that Player 1 topped Player 2 by 2%. We won.

2) Did we win? No? That sucks. Let's boost everybody's damage next time. Everyone needs to up their game. Even the guy who beat everyone else by 15%. Was it purely because of damage, or are we not handling the gimmicks properly? Or could it have been bad luck because someone had to AFK or was disconnected?

You know how I feel when I top a parse? I don't care. I'd prefer someone was close or just in front, because that's shared damage. A party is safer when the damage dealers are sharing overall damage. When one player is miles ahead, that puts extra stress on them and the healers to keep them alive.

This is more a scoreboard problem since, as the name implies, it's a "I beat everyone, lolz git gud scrubs" addon. It doesn't track individual data very well, just an in-memory damage counter for folks to brag about.

I find flippant's parse addon 100x better at getting real combat data out of a fight.

https://github.com/flippant/parse

It lets you get lots of details of what was going on, along with saving it to an xml file for later comparisons. It not only does "damage", but also defense stats and magic miss rates for enfeebles.

The best tool for combat analysis is kparser, kind of a PITA to setup and it seriously needs updating, but it still gathers tons of data and lets us graph it over time to kind of "replay" the fight and spot issues.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-11-07 16:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Stayfresh said: »
Asura.Jyubeii said: »
eh making gearsets is my primary source of enjoyment in xi, wouldn't have held my attention for so many years otherwise
It is. But I’m not going to lose my mind because I can’t get a perfect +2 sortie earring within the first week.

It's not about getting it in first month. It's about having it on horizon and slowly getting there at all. With current level of randomness, you might not get it in years of doing Sortie every day.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-11-07 16:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

eh making gearsets is my primary source of enjoyment in xi, wouldn't have held my attention for so many years otherwise

This.

I try to make my sets bis, because it's a really fun process for me. I also want to do more damage, so I can notice improvement, not to beat other people in parse (parse is based on lag, player's performance, not only gear). I simply like when I notice my WS is doing 500 more damage after I spent time to improve it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-11-07 16:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine too, it's what makes this game unique. Two different things though. My point is, there's so many niche scenarios and factors that can come up where if you make sets for everything and then have inventory problems later, you're really just creating the problem and complaining about it. You can solve just inventory problems yourself.

I will say that SE did make poor decisions with inventory and how they have handled it over the years, but most gear nowadays has a variety of useful stats, and nearly every piece of 119 gear has stat vomit that's similar where you don't need to obsess over a couple points of attributes. They have included relevant stats on pieces where some can pull double duty vs carrying several. It's not like the old days where you needed to carry a strength piece for WS, and then an attack piece for melee, and then a piece for accuracy; most pieces sufficiently cover all of that and then some.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-11-07 16:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
It is. But I’m not going to lose my mind because I can’t get a perfect +2 sortie earring within the first week.

It's not about getting it in first month. It's about having it on horizon and slowly getting there at all. With current level of randomness, you might not get it in years of doing Sortie every day.

I haven't gotten several omen bodies when I did it every day a long time ago and trove as well. Have been doing shinryu every single day for the past two months and I haven't seen one non accessory drop. Im at around 170 VD runs. Who knows how long that streak will go. Some people just never have good luck with drops, and others go 1/1 /shrug
By SimonSes 2022-11-07 16:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't gotten several omen bodies when I did it every day a long time ago and trove as well. Have been doing shinryu every single day for the past two months and I haven't seen one non accessory drop. Im at around 170 VD runs. Who knows how long that streak will go. Some people just never have good luck with drops, and others go 1/1 /shrug

Thats true, but there is difference between 1% drop rate on NM you can kill every day and 20% to get best roll, on top of 5% chance to get right job, on top of 5% to get +2 from +1 case, on top of like 5% to get +1 case when you get the case.

So assuming you roll like 5 cases per run:
5 * 0.05 * 0.05 * 0.05 = ~0.00063
that gives like 0.06% to get +2 earring for right job with still random roll. Thats on avg 1587 Sortie runs.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-11-07 16:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Ejiin
By Vaerix 2022-11-07 16:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats true, but there is difference between 1% drop rate on NM you can kill every day and 20% to get best roll, on top of 5% chance to get right job, on top of 5% to get +2 from +1 case, on top of like 5% to get +1 case when you get the case.

that gives like 0.06% to get +2 earring for right job with still random roll. Thats on avg 1587 Sortie runs.

Brightside of this! That's ONLY 4 years running every 24 hours and twice every 5 days from ruspix! SE SO GENEROUS!

Edit: 3.5 years! The good news keeps on a coming!
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2022-11-07 16:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

No ones legitimately suggesting to break all your gear down to "all jobs" only equipment. But if you're running into inventory woes because you absolutely need to god-tier all 12 jobs ensuring you've got every scenario imaginable covered...it might be worth cherry picking out some the gear from your lesser used jobs that is only used 1 time in the entire gearset (especially if its such a niche situation like "no buffs") and replace it with something thats used elsewhere in the lua or on other jobs.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-11-07 16:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Next year we'll get a Sortie and Odyssey campaign, and I'll be ready to resubscribe. Some of the current hoops SE wants us to jump through are ridiculous, but they will get better when they want returnees to play catch up. It has always been the case.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-11-07 17:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys always say you have to give time for SE to finish the content, right? Writing out the worst case scenario to illustrate the drop rate on unfinished content is a bit unfair. I'm not impressed with the drop rate as it currently is, but they literally just posted this for the update pre-notes:

Quote:
In Sortie, we’ll be introducing the foes that we postponed from the previous version update, which saw a new section open up. New treasure coffers are now available, and we hope the rewards are commensurate with your efforts!

I mean, I'm not optimistic it would be a guaranteed +1 case, but it should at least be better drop rates. It stands to reason the grind would get significantly better, if we are basing it off of their own wording. We would have to wait and see, but it's just like how everyone (myself included) raged about how bad the Odyssey RP grind was and the weird cost of Lustreless items in the list a couple of months before Gaol first came out, but then they later added Amplifiers to speed up the grind. It's not nearly as bad as it started out, so should keep the same expectation and wait and see how the content ends vs making crazy future projections.

Also, they added Shinryu items to trove not long after it was released, because they knew the grind was stupid. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that SE would add +1/+2 earrings to something like Bonanza rewards via kupon slip at like Rank3 prize, so people can get the targeted earrings faster. Just my thoughts though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2022-11-07 17:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, they added Shinryu items to trove not long after it was released, because they knew the grind was stupid. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that SE would add +1/+2 earrings to something like Bonanza rewards via kupon slip at like Rank3 prize, so people can get the targeted earrings faster. Just my thoughts though.
JSE Earrings are mulable so you could activate an army of mules to really target them pay to win style lol.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-11-07 17:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Jakey said: »
JSE Earrings are mulable so you could activate an army of mules to really target them pay to win style lol.

You can already do this with empyrean login items, HTBF rare items using orbs etc. No different than how it is now. SE wins anyways if you buy mules to accomplish it. And players spend less time being frustrated at random drops. I think that's ok.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2022-11-07 17:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that SE would add +1/+2 earrings to something like Bonanza rewards via kupon slip at like Rank3 prize, so people can get the targeted earrings faster. Just my thoughts though.

If the way to get a JSE item "faster" is to play the lottery, that's bad design on SE's part. Don't give them a way out of said bad design that relies on Pay2Win.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-11-07 17:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone was fine leveling an army of mules to 99 to do Trove and maximize DM chances which are both complete lotteries, and then shared their fantastic augments or good drop they got on their 15th mule? lol. This is nothing new, SE has been using lotteries to reward players who succumb to P2W model. It's not unique to this instance, always been bad design.

Oh, they also put the really cool items in a lottery, Bonanza weapons. Same old SE
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2022-11-07 17:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone was fine leveling an army of mules to 99 to do Trove and maximize DM chances which are both complete lotteries. This is nothing new, SE has been using lotteries to reward players who succumb to P2W model. It's not unique to this instance, always been bad design.

No, not everyone was ok with that. That's bubble life talking- the people you associate with most frequently may have done that for more DM chances or Silver Vouchers, but many of us never did and never will because we don't pay to play a lottery, we pay to play an MMO and want tasks to do, not random luck life.

I can just buy Powerball tickets if I want that.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-11-07 17:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I never did either, but a lot of people did. there's even a thread lurking around somewhere on how to get mules to 99 the fastest for the express purpose of what I mentioned. Can't find it now

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 335 336 337 ... 439 440 441