Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Magian Trials » Yacumama and Colorful Abyssite
Yacumama and Colorful Abyssite
 Cerberus.Boogs
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2017-10-26 12:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I know there is already another thread related to this, but I wanted to avoid necrobumping an already-necrobumped post.

My question is mainly related to the number of times people have had to kill the Tier 1 NMs in order to force a color change in their clear abyssite. Is it based on number of kills? How much time spent in the zone? Or something else? This is the very first time I have ever done a magian trial (specifically Trial 8). I have read as much as I could on the color change. However, all I have managed to figure out is that I am supposed to kill Tier 1 NMs and that it should change color (fairly quickly, was my impression). I spent a good hour trying to get mine to change, but still nothing in my logs indicate anything beyond detecting yet the next Tier 1 NM.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-10-26 12:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Just random. No set amount.

And with square random means 1/100
By Nyarlko 2017-10-26 12:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

T1 sucks. ._.;;

There is no rhyme or reason to color changes. Could change on your first kill, could take several full passes of killing everything in the zone. I've had both happen personally.

Odds of color change increase as the rank of the KI increases. From personal experience, I'd say that T1 has ~10% chance. Last tier upgrade is 100% though.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-26 13:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyarlko said: »
Last tier upgrade is 100% though.
not true, but the rate is definitely higher after T1
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-10-26 13:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Boogs I need some of these NMs for trials, so if you want to team up let me know. The first stage is very annoying.. I usually end up going THF and using movement speed to spam pop NMs in Konschtat.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2017-10-26 14:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Protip: Bring a mule.

If at all possible use a 2nd account to hold the Crystal instead. Have the mule pop the NM for you > Claim it on your main > have the mule warp > Kill NM

This way you can kill all you want/need and you'll never lose your T2 (the Crystal can't change to T3 if the popper isn't in zone)

This tip helped me out TONS because that Crystal likes to flip to T3 after one kill sometimes and it really sucks lol
[+]
 Odin.Geriond
Server: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-10-26 15:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Alternately, you can just have the T3 for the path you're farming, so that it can't transform due to the Key Item Uniqueness Theorem.
[+]
 Cerberus.Boogs
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2017-10-27 15:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Geriond -- that's really good advice.

Kylos -- if our times intersect, will do.

Everyone -- Thanks for the replies. I finally got it to change color (you all were not kidding about how annoying it was). One more followup question. If the other NM pops instead of the desired one, what do people generally do? Kill it anyway, or zone out and try again? I have been killing anything that pops since I cannot be bothered to zone. However, if that is the wrong way to do it, please do enlighten me.
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2017-10-27 16:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Boogs said: »
Geriond -- that's really good advice.

Kylos -- if our times intersect, will do.

Everyone -- Thanks for the replies. I finally got it to change color (you all were not kidding about how annoying it was). One more followup question. If the other NM pops instead of the desired one, what do people generally do? Kill it anyway, or zone out and try again? I have been killing anything that pops since I cannot be bothered to zone. However, if that is the wrong way to do it, please do enlighten me.

I typically do what Geriond suggested using a T3 pop to "block" a T2 abyssite from upgrading so it doesn't matter if you kill a T2 you aren't after, just to make it easier to track down the one you are after. Also probably just superstition or w/e, but generally if I don't get an T1 -> T2 upgrade within 10 or so kills I zone hop to someplace else and try there.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2017-10-27 16:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

To answer your question, I typically ignore the mob and keep searching until my desired target is popped. Then I claim both of them and have the mule warp and kill the one I want and then leave zone. That way I get what I'm after without accidently screwing the next guy over for an hour on repop
[+]
By Felgarr 2017-10-27 19:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I recommend using your T1 to farm a T2, then T2->T3. Start again and farm T1 > T2. Having both T2 and T3 KIs allows you to farm the T2 NM without worry of it upgrading. I even used a second character with T2 KI to always get the T2 reading (softly) when both T2 and T3 readings overlap. (feebly, softly, solidly in a short area).

Having said that, I have gotten a colorful upgrade in 2 kills ...and almost 40. It's SE-Randomness. :/
By clearlyamule 2017-10-29 02:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I once spent over 100 kills trying to upgrade... while friends were waiting because I had gathered them to help with a T3 and well it depopped on pull because that happens and was trying to farm up another pop not so real quick