Random Politics & Religion #24

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #24
Random Politics & Religion #24
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 79 80 81
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-25 21:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The moment that a ruling becomes subjective instead of objective, it is ruled by opinion, which is influenced by personal motivations. You're only proving the point that the ruling was political.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-05-25 21:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So, is the EO legal, or is Obama full of religious intolerance and discrimination. Which is it Pleebs?
Obama didn't try to implement a travel ban so it's a different argument. If the Trump admin wanted to implement additional vetting procedures they could probably find a constitutionally sound way to do it. Funnily enough, they've had more than the requested 90 days declared by the EO to actually think of something, but they've done ***in the meantime. Go fig.
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
The moment that a ruling becomes subjective instead of objective, it is ruled by opinion, which is influenced by personal motivations. You're only proving the point that the ruling was political.
What are you talking about? You either can't or don't want to articulate an argument based around what was actually involved in the case so you've lazily reduced it all to "politics". The opinion is outlined rather plainly. It was basically a open-and-shut 1st Amendment case.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-25 21:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
So, is the EO legal, or is Obama full of religious intolerance and discrimination. Which is it Pleebs?
Obama didn't try to implement a travel ban so it's a different argument. If the Trump admin wanted to implement additional vetting procedures they could probably find a constitutionally sound way to do it. Funnily enough, they've had more than the requested 90 days declared by the EO to actually think of something, but they've done ***in the meantime. Go fig.
What are you talking about? You either can't or don't want to articulate an argument based around what was actually involved in the case so you've lazily reduced it all to "politics". The opinion is outlined rather plainly. It was basically a open-and-shut 1st Amendment case.

Wow, way to miss the point. Trump did find a Constitutionally sound way to do it. They're basing everything on comments he made before he was ever president. THE EO IS CONSTITUTIONAL AS IT STANDS.
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-05-25 21:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like Jared Kushner, who also improperly filled out his security clearance form (how hard is it guys?), has also landed himself on the FBI's radar for his dealings with Russia.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-05-25 21:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The order doesn't exist outside of context. You can capslock as hard as you want but that doesn't change the precedent. If the administration wants to modify travel requirements, they're free to do so in a way that doesn't violate inalienable rights. But they're not since this was just all red meat for the voter base anyway.
By fonewear 2017-05-25 22:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot to take my advice of not caring. Try beer it normally helps.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-25 22:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
Looks like Jared Kushner, who also improperly filled out his security clearance form (how hard is it guys?), has also landed himself on the FBI's radar for his dealings with Russia.

So many people being investigated. So, so little evidence. I'm with Fone. Wake me up when it's time to care.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-25 22:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The order doesn't exist outside of context. You can capslock as hard as you want but that doesn't change the precedent. If the administration wants to modify travel requirements, they're free to do so in a way that doesn't violate inalienable rights. But they're not since this was just all red meat for the voter base anyway.

Or they're free to wait until the Supreme Court destroys the lower court rulings. That's also a viable option.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2017-05-26 00:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, another reason to love Japan.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 06:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

How Islamophobic of you Vyre.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 06:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If the Trump admin wanted to implement additional vetting procedures they could probably find a constitutionally sound way to do it.
Except they did, but liberals, in their Great Hissyfit of 2016™ onward, can't even accept that what Trump did was by extension what Obama started to do, but never got around of doing it because, well, feels.

You just don't want to accept the fact that these courts are playing politics instead of law. You cannot, and will not, accept the fact that this order did neither A) designate a religion for banning, or B) designate all countries with a majority population of a specific religion to be banned entry into the US. Which is the entire argument of the liberals going berserk out there.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2017-05-26 06:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

In this day and age I apparently have a lot of phobias that I never knew about. And here I thought I only had melissophobia!
[+]
By fonewear 2017-05-26 07:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
In this day and age I apparently have a lot of phobias that I never knew about. And here I thought I only had melissophobia!

You could say you have a phobia of phobias !
By fonewear 2017-05-26 07:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what reading FFXIAH looks like in one video:
YouTube Video Placeholder
By eliroo 2017-05-26 07:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like Trump could kill a baby and KN and Rav would be defending him.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 07:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like the Russia investigation being done would show that there was not any collusion associated with Trump's team and Russia, but, by mere happenstance, evidence was found that not only proved that Obama ordered his administration to spy on Trump and his team, but also shared such information with the Clinton team and tried to alter the evidence to show that Russia was colluding with Trump, including faking a dossier with false information to throw off the fake investigation. Not only was Obama and his administration was involved, but media outlets also colluded with this whole affair to throw off the public from the real collusion of the 2016 election.

And after all that, not only will Vic, Pleebs and eliroo decry Trump's election win, they will continuously defend Obama and Clinton, claiming that the ends justify the means.
By eliroo 2017-05-26 07:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
eliroo
Quote:
will continuously defend Obama and Clinton

Do I need to go into my post history to prove how unbiased I am being towards a political party while you are clearly showing a strong bias?

I have defended both Obama and Bush on this forum though, so there is that.
By Nausi 2017-05-26 08:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »

Lol, here we go again with another round of rumor and facts I don't like. Drumpf is done, its over for him (again).

Hey Vic, the Montana guy won. No one cares about the facts I don't like coming from the democrat-media complex. The only people that still buy it all are liberals.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 08:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Quote:
eliroo
Quote:
will continuously defend Obama and Clinton

Do I need to go into my post history to prove how unbiased I am being towards a political party while you are clearly showing a strong bias?

I have defended both Obama and Bush on this forum though, so there is that.
Obviously you are ignoring the fact that I never wanted Trump in the White House in the first place.

Should I point out how I openly supported Scott Walker and when that failed, openly opposed Donald Trump? Although, to be honest, I was not a Never Trumper, but he did not get my vote.

So, who's defending who again? I attack the hypocrisy and idiotic behavior coming from the left, but I don't defend Trump at all.
By Nausi 2017-05-26 08:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it was a nice way to call the national security aspect of the order ***.

No. More like, "We don't like it so we'll block it lol." It's just another way of punishing the opposing party in any sleazebag way they can get away with.
The only authority liberals respect is their own.
By eliroo 2017-05-26 08:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet you ignore the idiotic behavior and hypocrisy coming straight from the Oval office?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 08:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi said: »
No, it was a nice way to call the national security aspect of the order ***.

No. More like, "We don't like it so we'll block it lol." It's just another way of punishing the opposing party in any sleazebag way they can get away with.
The only authority liberals respect is their own.
And even they, they still fight it.

Women's March on January 21st says hi.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 08:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet you ignore the idiotic behavior and hypocrisy coming straight from the Oval office?
No, but I don't make it a point to attack it, because even though I don't like the man nor many of his ideas (such as his immigration policies and his budget), he is still somewhat aligned with my ideals. Barely.

Just like you don't openly attack Obama.
By Nausi 2017-05-26 08:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

So clearly you've read the ruling, does he judge point to the law where it defines how the presidential power isn't absolute and shows how this particular ban violates that statute?

I'll hold my breath
First Amendment. It's in the quote.
The first amendment does not ban a litmus test for the religion of immigrants who entree country. We give litmus tests very often when we admit those fleeing from religious persecution. I.E. I'm sorry your Christian faith does not qualify you as a Jewish refugee...
By eliroo 2017-05-26 08:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not openly attacking Obama because he isn't the center of controversy, nor he is in a position of power. The latter is why I care a bit less about Clinton (Thought I still believe something needs to be done, in which case Trump has done nothing in that regards) But the President of the United States is making some pretty brash statements, giving up secrets and is in the mud of a shady investigation and that takes precedence in my opinion.
By Nausi 2017-05-26 08:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You're living inside the media bubble.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-05-26 08:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna see if Rooks will filter "media bubble" to something because you guys use it as a crutch too often.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 08:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not openly attacking Obama because he isn't the center of controversy,
Where the *** have you been for the past 8 years?

But the President of the United States is making some pretty brash statements, giving up secrets and is in the mud of a shady investigation and that takes precedence in my opinion.
I hate to break it to you, but Trump isn't giving away any secrets.

Hell, the media is doing more to damage this country than Trump has.

Or are you going to tell us all that there are no leaks coming from the WH, and WP/NYTs isn't actively telling federal employees how to break the law.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 08:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I'm gonna see if Rooks will filter "media bubble" to something because you guys use it as a crutch too often.
Galka Syrup.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 08:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

For eliroo:

Leakers and Journalists Are Destroying Our Republic

Sources are bad unless they have an obvious liberal slant, and even then, they are bad unless they have an obvious liberal slant that's popular at the time.

Quote:
Leakers and journalists are tied together like drug dealers and junkies.

Unfair analogy? Maybe a bit, but people who live "respectable middle-class lives" can be just as dangerous, more dangerous, ultimately, than the murderous El Chapos of the world and that's pretty bad. Only the other day some U.S. intel people or person leaked to the New York Times about the Manchester terrorist, causing news to be reported that could have instigated more Islamist child murders.

We have an epidemic of leaking in our society unlike anything I have seen in my lifetime. It's approaching Plague level -- but with no vaccine in sight.

The latest, at this typing, is that Jared Kushner is under investigation by the FBI. Here's the headline at CNN of an article signed by no less than four authors (it takes a village) --Evan Perez, Pamela Brown, Shimon Prokupecz and Gloria Borger: "FBI Russia investigation looking at Kushner role."

Uh-oh.

Who leaked that and what did they tell them about the president's son-in-law? Has Jared been selling us out to Putin? It certainly sounds that way.

Well, not really. Look no further than the second and third paragraph and you discover:

Quote:
Points of focus that pertain to Kushner include: the Trump campaign's 2016 data analytics operation; his relationship with former national security adviser Michael Flynn; and Kushner's own contacts with Russians, according to US officials [ i. e. leakers] briefed on the probe.
There is no indication Kushner is currently a target of the probe and there are no allegations he committed any wrongdoing. [bolds "author's"]

In other words, there's no there there other than leaks that continue to pour out, even after the installation of the supposedly confidential investigation by Special Counsel Mueller. How repellent and, frankly, illegal is that? Has Mueller launched a leak probe of his own? He should.

For its part, CNN (as a kind of low-rent, ineffectual Pravda) is just cooperating in a smear job that was apparently instigated by their colleagues at frequent leak conduit NBC. They are joined by The Hill, which, almost simultaneously, tweeted: "Jared under FBI scrutiny in Trump-Russia investigation: report." Note the weasel word -- report.

How would you describe these denizens of the Fourth Estate capable of this sort of sleazy behavior? " Schmucks with Underwoods," as was said of screenwriters in the old days of Warner Brothers? In this case, of course, the schmucks have laptops. (In those old Warner days, writers like Faulkner and Fitzgerald populated the studios. Haven't seen anywhere near that level of talent at The Hill and CNN or anywhere in our media of late. But perhaps I missed something.)

So these great literary geniuses -- the scions of Woodward and Bernstein (aka people who can pick up the phone) -- and the leakers have a co-dependent relationship, both convincing themselves that what they are doing is for the betterment of humanity. (That's what Hans Vaihinger called the Philosophy of As If.) Of course, the leakers, assuming they are from our intelligence agencies, have all signed contracts swearing up and down not to do the very thing they have done, in some cases, in all probability, multiple times. Moreover -- in their putative attempt to "save the republic" (or their own jobs or get vengeance) -- we have no idea whether they are telling the truth, a half-truth or no truth at all about what they are leaking. Or whether the journalists are reporting those leaks with even a modicum of accuracy. That's how thoroughly these symbiotic morally narcissistic partners believe in their own "goodness" and how little they really care about what the American people think or do.

So what do we do about this state of affairs in a democratic republic, assuming we are serious about having one?
Quite simply, the leakers need to go to jail with the proverbial key thrown away. That is the only way this leaking will stop and it must stop. Prosecutions should have started months ago. It's hard to understand why it's taken so long. Let's hope we have indictments soon. Like tomorrow.

Regarding journalists, they need an entirely new code of ethics. Unfortunately, any reader of Evelyn Waugh (not to mention anybody with a pulse) knows just how unlikely that is. It's high time for the consumers of news to fight back tooth and nail. Anytime we see or hear the term "anonymous source" or someone "authorized to speak" only confidentially, something so common now there's almost no reporting without it, often six or seven instances within one article or broadcast, we should simply turn off the television or throw the newspaper into the garbage, never to buy another copy.

If you're reading it on the Internet, just click off. You could say that's propaganda, not journalism. But it's not even good propaganda. It's junk, information pollution, worse than 1970s smog. It also lowers your IQ five points every time you're exposed. You don't need it.

And if you ever see or hear the word "Russia" again, feel free to run screaming from the room like the subject in an Edvard Munch painting.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 79 80 81