Random Politics & Arguments Over Nothing #16

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Arguments Over Nothing #16
Random Politics & Arguments Over Nothing #16
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 39 40 41
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-12-13 17:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
DOE was the department he couldn't remember during that ill-fated debate. Irony of that degree almost makes me believe in a higher power.
That was one of the ones he wanted to abolish tho. Is that a negative or positive modifier in your irony equation?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-12-13 17:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I was told there'd be no math.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-13 17:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I changed it to Salt & Jelly, then back. Because I wanted to.

And here I thought mods didn't do anything !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-13 17:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/50048/diet-rtni-now-with-political-flavoring-16

Hmm will we also be getting Chinese Wednesday and Thickened Galka Mayo Plot themed titles?
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-13 18:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Title needs a slight change.
"Diet RT/Ni: Now With Political Flavoring! Math-Free Edition" #16
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-13 20:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Next one should be called : "Random Politics, Known to cause cancer in California." Or RP:KTCCIC.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-13 20:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Time for a musical interlude:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2016-12-14 00:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_584fba63e4b0151082221e8a

I think someone is getting fired from the huffington post
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-14 06:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Then he is just going to lose a bunch of very skilled workers
Gov workers?

lulz!

That's the most idiotic thing I've read in a while. I bet you don't even understand what the DoE does. Anyways, wasn't Trump all about saving jobs?
Private sector jobs. There's a difference between private sector jobs (that runs & grows most of the economy) and public sector jobs (that wastes most of the economy).

Government jobs are pretty much a necessary waste. Why else do you think that the people who have those jobs are the worst of the worst, can't get actual jobs in the private field?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-14 06:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »

It's not the columnist at least:

Quote:
Columnist published in The Cleveland Plain Dealer, The Baltimore Sun, The Hill, Salon, The Jerusalem Post http://www.hagoodman.com
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-14 08:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Then he is just going to lose a bunch of very skilled workers
Gov workers?

lulz!

That's the most idiotic thing I've read in a while. I bet you don't even understand what the DoE does. Anyways, wasn't Trump all about saving jobs?
Private sector jobs. There's a difference between private sector jobs (that runs & grows most of the economy) and public sector jobs (that wastes most of the economy).

Government jobs are pretty much a necessary waste. Why else do you think that the people who have those jobs are the worst of the worst, can't get actual jobs in the private field?

I'm going to assume you're not including law enforcement, military lifers, etc. with this. Though we've both agreed in the past there is a staggering amount of wasteful spending going on with the military that even if you were to keep the same spending level, it could be more intelligently spent.

But domestic and international security aside, what other jobs do you deem vital and which are unnecessary waste? Which jobs do you consider vital, but should be outsourced privately?

Do you feel the government private contracting system is superior to it hiring people directly? If no, in what way(s) could the respective government expenditure programs be improved?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-12-14 08:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Um we were talking about the finely skill people at the department of labor.

If you can get a steady gig at the DoE mopping floors, hold onto it because it would be the best job of your life. You'd be one of the most highly paid janitors in the world and you'd probably go out with a salary and pension close to 100k.

You'd probably only have to work 4 real hours of each day too.
By eliroo 2016-12-14 08:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »

That is H.A. goodman. His stuff gets posted everywhere. He is often very crass and typically uninformed of what the real issue.

Go take a look at all of the other stuff they posted of his on Huff post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/goodmanauthor-532

The guy is a piece of work, I don't disagree with his message here though.

That last line though

Quote:
Simply blame Hillary Clinton in the same manner you’d blame Bernie, had Bernie lost to Trump in 2016 and wasn’t cheated by the DNC.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-14 08:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I'm going to assume you're not including law enforcement, military lifers, etc. with this.
You are correct. For one thing, I'm talking about federal-level jobs (which doesn't include anything state-level or below. State level waste only effects those who live in the state in question, not on a national level). Those bureaucrat-level positions who's only job is to waste money with red-tape, which is anyone below the middle-management level (and some middle and upper management could be included).

Those are the people who are waste of space. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to IRS agents who don't even know the code they are trying to uphold. Especially auditors.

Military aren't really private level, because there isn't a public military (unless you want to consider those security personnel or rent-a-cop as military, but then again, that would be stretching it past the breaking point). Military bureaucrats, however....

But domestic and international security aside, what other jobs do you deem vital and which are unnecessary waste? Which jobs do you consider vital, but should be outsourced privately?
It would have to be a complete review of policies and procedures in each department. I'm sure that there could be easily 10% of the jobs in each department that could be cut down, with some departments looking at a larger cut (again, has to be reviewed by department). On average, the federal government could save 20-25% in labor costs just by keeping the "better" employees and losing the waste-of-space.

Do you feel the government private contracting system is superior to it hiring people directly? If no, in what way(s) could the respective government expenditure programs be improved?
No, because the government private contracting system is setup for extreme fraud due to unreliable vesting system.

For example: All departments are required accept the "lowest" proposed bid for government contract work. However, the government is also required to pay any of the work that goes above and beyond the proposed bid, as long as it maintains the scope of the contract.

Meaning, Federal Government is looking to build a new building at City A, and receives proposed bids from Contractor A and Contractor B. Contractor A is vested in their work, has done work with City A, and has a 99% retention rate with City A. Contractor B is vested, but has not done work with City A before, but has done work with City B that is located 75 miles away. Contractor B has only a 25% retention rate with City B because it's shoddy in it's work.

Contractor A bids $1,000,000 for building the building to the Federal Government's specifications, and actual costs would be $950,000.
Contractor B bids $750,000 for building, but actual costs would be $1,250,000, and will provide an inferior building compared to Contractor A.

Any other person would hire Contractor A because their product is superior, they are more recommended, and essentially cheaper to do. However, by the rules/regulations provided above, the federal government would hire Contractor B only because they bid lower, even if they know that the quality is lower and overall cost is higher.

If you know how to game the system, you can really take the federal government for a ride. And the problem is, the federal government gives you instructions on how to game the system.

So, yes, a lot of the waste in the federal government can be erased just by changing these regulations.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-14 08:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god, I should have proof-read that post before hitting submit.

ROOKS, I WANT MY DAMN EDIT BUTTON BACK!!!!!!111oneone
By Ramyrez 2016-12-14 09:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Military aren't really private level, because there isn't a public military

Only thing I really disagree with that you said, but it doesn't change your point or other really change anything.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-14 09:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh you crazy Pennsylvanians.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-14 09:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds about right for Philly.

If the elections told you anything, it should have told you that Philly is the NY/CA of Pennsylvania.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-14 09:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you know how to game the system, you can really take the federal government for a ride. And the problem is, the federal government gives you instructions on how to game the system.

There's also the collusion problem between contractors, I don't know how much of an issue it is in your country, but here it's pretty terrible. The lowest bid is inflated because they split the sectors so they know who will win.
Not saying it doesn't happen, but when it does, it's pretty much slapped down hard.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-14 09:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Only thing I really disagree with that you said, but it doesn't change your point or other really change anything.
I accept your counterpoint.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-14 09:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

There's also the collusion problem between contractors, I don't know how much of an issue it is in your country, but here it's pretty terrible. The lowest bid is inflated because they split the sectors so they know who will win.
Not saying it doesn't happen, but when it does, it's pretty much slapped down hard.

Another major problem with government contractors is that they don't actually seem to give a damn about the quality of their work. They pinch pennies on materials and labor costs to squeeze the most profit from their contract payout, so you end up with an inferior product/service compared to what was promised, but because it was all stipulated beforehand contractually, they've adhered to the letter of the contract, if not the spirit, and there's no real option of recourse.

The lab my wife worked in was a great example. They had an extension done on the building and in addition to being bare-bones, borderline (though not explicitly) deficient, it was falling off the original building within a handful of years.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-14 09:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What the *** was I typing in that sentence?

Sorry. I was leaving a voicemail when I posted that and apparently couldn't think two things at once.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-14 09:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds about right for Philly.

If the elections told you anything, it should have told you that Philly is the NY/CA of Pennsylvania.

Also, not only is it Philly, it's a college campus in Philly.

That's like, ground zero for this kind of thing.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-14 09:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So, yes, a lot of the waste in the federal government can be erased just by changing these regulations.

We could probably get completed roads in a timely fashion too!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-14 09:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »

We could probably get completed roads in a timely fashion too!
Road construction is paid for by the state you live in, mainly through both the state and federal gas tax (some states use additional fund through their general fund, meaning they use regular income/sales taxes to pay for the construction too).

Not a federal issue unless it's interstate system. Even then, it's handled through the state by block grants.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 39 40 41