Random Politics & Religion #09

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #09
Random Politics & Religion #09
First Page 2 3 ... 48 49 50 ... 53 54 55
By Ramyrez 2016-08-16 12:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Ramyrez said: »
I have no idea because I never really cared about anyone who has the time or inclination to actually waste their life attending a politician's rally.
Sounds like a good place to pick up crazy women.

So we can expect to see you hanging around the next DNC and/or RNC convention in your psych wardhome state?
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-16 12:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I have no idea because I never really cared about anyone who has the time or inclination to actually waste their life attending a politician's rally.
Sounds like a good place to pick up crazy women.

So we can expect to see you hanging around the next DNC and/or RNC convention in your psych wardhome state?
Dat Kayleigh McEnenay tho.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-16 12:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh. She's kinda...pointy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 13:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Conehead pointy?
By Ramyrez 2016-08-16 13:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Conehead pointy?

No, just...very sharp angles to her features. I dunno, a lot of people seem to find it attractive I guess.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-16 13:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's the fact that she looks and talks crazy.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-16 13:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Conehead pointy?

Though I'll not refuse a chance to slip a Frank Zappa video into P&R.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-08-16 13:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
It's on the front page of CNN this morning so yeah...
Already in the archives on CBS.com this morning, so yeah...

Oh hey, that's who I quoted from. Not CNN.com, but CBS.com
Point being that it's out on the front page of other media outlets... Liberally biased ones... Not just hidden away like you claim... You claimed it should have received more press not just that cbs archived it... It is receiving press...
It's a sideline article. And only 1.

Trump doesn't even have to say a word, others say it for him and there's multiple articles and opinion pieces associated with that one faux-outrage issue.

What happened with the PA AG is more newsworthy than what Trump had for breakfast this morning.
It wasn't a sideline... Unless you're only going to focus on cbs... As for trump it's what sells... His presence in the media has more to do with him helping to sell the product... Add that to being s presidential candidate and blammo... Things presidential candidates do and say are newsworthy... Just as this AG issue is too... You just seem to hung up on this partisan *** of Dems and the media along with your man crush on Scott Walker...
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2016-08-16 13:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Discuss?

Note: This is a quote (he also happens to be gay), I'm not throwing around any slurs.

Quote:
I’m comfortable with people who are uncomfortable with gays, as long as they don’t want to kill us, maim us or throw us off rooftops. (Permission for lesser violence is available upon application.) For leftists, the reverse appears to be true — they’re uncomfortable with people who are uncomfortable with gays, unless they want to kill us and maim us and throw us off rooftops.

Thus, decline to bake a cake for some lesbians and you are a heinous bigot. Murder 50 *** and injure 50 more and you’re a tragic victim, probably reacting to islamophobia, whose dad will be invited to stand behind Hillary Clinton at a rally.

There’s no diplomatic way to put it. In this historic announcement, Donald Trump has dramatically overtaken the chronically Muslim-friendly Democratic Party on gay rights. I predict conservatives across the west will soon follow suit. The right is quickly realising that, thanks to the silence on Islam, it is they and not the left who are destined to safeguard women, gays, and minorities from the barbarians of the East.

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/08/15/republicans-just-overtook-dems-gay-rights/
By Ramyrez 2016-08-16 13:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that's a rather narrow view that forgets about a good deal of conservatives who are only civil with homosexuals because they have to be for reasons of public pressure to do so.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-08-16 13:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I never really understood why the family members of awful people take the fall for what the person their related to did...

If your brother murders someone should everyone be looking at you like you're a murderer too?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 13:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that's a rather narrow view that forgets about a good deal of conservatives who are only civil with homosexuals because they have to be for reasons of public pressure to do so.
What, you can't believe that conservatives can finally accept people being gay?

That the old prejudices are finally dying out?

That conservatives are also finally accepting people of different skin tone either (if you actually listen to what Trump says and not what the media tells you, he isn't against Latinos or African Americans, he is against the current immigration system).

The old prejudices are coming from the left, not right. The left are more prone to racist/sexist remarks now than ever before, especially when it's geared towards and against Republicans and conservatives.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 13:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I never really understood why the family members of awful people take the fall for what the person their related to did...

If your brother murders someone should everyone be looking at you like you're a murderer too?
The family member shouldn't be celebrated and rewarded for being a member of a killer's family either.

I shouldn't have to tell people that my claim to fame is because my son shot up a bunch of gay people in a nightclub, and that's the only reason why I'm at a Clinton rally.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-16 13:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump is for black people? [tidus] HA HA HA HA HA HA [/tidus]

Is that why he's been sued in the past for discrimination in his housing units or why he's been caught off the cuff saying some 'I swear it's not racist bro' things? Or is that more of his Trumpian sarcasm? Most blacks for Trump want either the system to burn or don't trust Hillary because of superpredators, slick Willy and the general status quo vibes.

Even if I take your statement at face value KN, Republicans have done a ***job of convincing blacks and hispanics that their the winning team. Care to explain why that is?
By Ramyrez 2016-08-16 13:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

In a word? No.

It's more complicated than that, but you'd have to fracture the party in order for me to buy it.

As it is, the right is too dependent upon the evangelical/religious right's vote, and they hate them some gays.

Bring back a fiscally conservative, socially laissez faire GOP, then maybe.

But as long as God remains part of the party platform, absolutely not.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-16 13:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump's for black people, that's why he has Rudolph the red nosed jackass up on stage lecturing blacks about how to be black every time the police done messed up.

After Giuliani's done making a fool of himself, he should write a book called 'How to Be a Black Man: Tales of America's Mayor' so I can take notes.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 13:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Trump is for black people
He certainly is not against them.

Is that why he's been sued in the past for discrimination in his housing units
Him personally or his company?

Even if I take your statement at face value KN, Republicans have done a ***job of convincing blacks and hispanics that their the winning team. Care to explain why that is?
Because they aren't offering free stuff, like the democrat/liberals are.

They are also not glorifying shootings while completely ignoring real facts, like there are much more "black vs. black" killings than anything else.

Because they aren't making promises on things that they will later ignore, like strengthening civil rights or abolishing racism (that was Obama's platform, was it not?).

There are many reasons why Hispanics and African Americans aren't all going towards Republicans, and messages are a major part of it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 13:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

In a word? No.

It's more complicated than that, but you'd have to fracture the party in order for me to buy it.

As it is, the right is too dependent upon the evangelical/religious right's vote, and they hate them some gays.
The Republican's message isn't to outlaw homosexuality. Far from it.

Any messages portrayed by the right is mainly religious freedom more than gay-bashing. But the left and the media always portray it as gay-bashing, because it gets them more votes.

Bring back a fiscally conservative, socially laissez faire GOP, then maybe.
I would love that too.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-16 13:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I think what Trump's campaign really needs at this point is more Ben Carson!
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-08-16 13:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Any messages portrayed by the right is mainly religious freedom more than gay-bashing.
This would be an argument if it had to do with religious recognition of marriage, which is (for all intents and purposes) a non-issue.

The entire gay marriage issue has to do with civil equality, not religious equality/freedoms.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 14:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Any messages portrayed by the right is mainly religious freedom more than gay-bashing.
This would be an argument if it had to do with religious recognition of marriage, which is (for all intents and purposes) a non-issue.

The entire gay marriage issue has to do with civil equality, not religious equality/freedoms.
Gay marriage isn't the only issue regarding religious vs. gay rights.

Remember that baker who refused to sell to that gay couple a wedding cake, but was forced to do so by the state? (I believe it was in California, but I could be mistaken).

Republican's message was freedom of religion at that point. The left portrayed that message as bashing gay rights.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-16 14:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right. Their message is "go back to doing it discretely like so many of us. Don't make a thing about it. Shut up and do it quietly, off to the side, and get a trophy wife and have a few kids as a front."
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-08-16 14:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember that baker who refused to sell to that gay couple a wedding cake, but was forced to do so by the state? (I believe it was in California, but I could be mistaken).

Republican's message was freedom of religion at that point. The left portrayed that message as bashing gay rights.
Colorado, but not necessarily relevant.

There's a lot of thing that touches. The key point is that the state law prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation (actual or percieved), and therefore whether or not religious beliefs trump secular law.

The baker was not forced to bake the cake. But they weren't able to avoid the consequences for breaking secular law due to religious beliefs.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 14:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right. Their message is "go back to doing it discretely like so many of us. Don't make a thing about it. Shut up and do it quietly, off to the side, and get a trophy wife and have a few kids as a front."
More like "You're gay? Good for you. Don't expect everyone to accept it, nor expect that businesses should hand you free/discounted stuff because of it. You want to be treated like everyone else? Ok, we can accept that."
By Ramyrez 2016-08-16 14:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You want to be treated like everyone else? Ok, we can accept that

No, you can accept that.

The royal "we" -- as pertains to the GOP and the entirety of its constituency -- clearly cannot.
By Bloodrose 2016-08-16 14:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think what they should have gone with, was their legal right to refuse business to anyone, without choosing, or saying why they refused business. (When you choose a reason to refuse business to a potential customer, you have to be careful what those reasons are, even if they seem like a non-issue to an outsider, they can have major repercussions)
Or even politely declined with a lie like "We're booked solid because it's marriage season, Perhaps we can recommend someone who is available."
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 14:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Colorado, but not necessarily relevant.

There's a lot of thing that touches. The key point is that the state law prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation (actual or percieved), and therefore whether or not religious beliefs trump secular law.

The baker was not forced to bake the cake. But they weren't able to avoid the consequences for breaking secular law due to religious beliefs.
Either way, like I said before, the Republican's message on this point was for religious freedom. Not against gay rights.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 14:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

You want to be treated like everyone else? Ok, we can accept that

No, you can accept that.

The royal "we" -- as pertains to the GOP and the entirety of its constituency -- clearly cannot.
Can you provide evidence of a message (not altered by the left or media) that proves that assertion?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-16 14:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »

I think what they should have gone with, was their legal right to refuse business to anyone, without choosing, or saying why they refused business. (When you choose a reason to refuse business to a potential customer, you have to be careful what those reasons are, even if they seem like a non-issue to an outsider, they can have major repercussions)
Or even politely declined with a lie like "We're booked solid because it's marriage season, Perhaps we can recommend someone who is available."
I agree, the baker was very stupid at saying "because of my religious beliefs."

(just read up on the case again)
First Page 2 3 ... 48 49 50 ... 53 54 55