Random Politics & Religion #09

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #09
Random Politics & Religion #09
First Page 2 3 ... 40 41 42 ... 53 54 55
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-10 10:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
(CNN)Amnesty International has accused the Australian government of a "mass cover-up" after more than 2,000 case reports were leaked detailing abuse on the Pacific island of Nauru.
Published by the Guardian, the documents were reportedly written by guards, caseworkers and teachers working at the Australian immigration center on the tiny island between May 2013 and October 2015.

They detail a devastating catalog of self-harm attempts, violent altercations, hunger strikes and incidents of sexual assault and child abuse, according to the newspaper.

The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection sent CNN a statement saying that many of the reported incidents were unconfirmed allegations, and the files themselves are evidence of the "robustness" of reporting procedures. It also said that "many of the incidents are historical in nature."
It added it's "seeking urgent advice from its service providers today to confirm all of these matters have been previously and appropriately reported to it, consistent with the policies and procedures covering such matters."

According to the Guardian, a large number of the reports involve children. Incidents range from children allegedly being hit by officers to distressing accounts of children exhibiting traumatized behavior.
In one report from February 2015, a girl says that she has been threatened by a male asylum seeker, indicating on a paper doll that he "cut her from under."
Another report from September 2014 alleges officers laughed at another girl who had sewn her lips together.

The files also catalog a staggering number of suicide threats and incidences of self-harm.
Once account from March 2015 describes a woman repeatedly beating her own head against a shower cubicle wall. Another from the same month details a man swallowing "two or three rocks."
In June 2015, in a logged event relating to chemical poisoning, a student reportedly runs out of the classroom with a bottle of cleaning fluid, managing to swallow a cup before it is knocked out of his hands.

The files are available to view, in full, here. They contain details some readers may find distressing.

While CNN cannot confirm the authenticity of the documents, the allegations closely align with those made recently by Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch.
In a report released last week based on extensive interviews, the human rights groups documented tales of fear, anger and despair.
Australian officials told CNN at the time that they strongly denied many of the findings, and had not been contacted about the allegations. But according to Amnesty International's Senior Director for Research, Anna Neistat, Wednesday's leaks are too damning for the Government to ignore.
"The exposure of just how appalling the conditions on Nauru are -- and the impact of this on refugees -- has to end the government of Australia's denials," she said in a statement.
"They've repeatedly said this kind of abuse has not been going on. They've been lying," she says.

Human rights groups have once again called on the Turnbull administration to rethink its approach to resettling refugees and asylum seekers.
"There is undeniable, cumulative evidence that suggests that asylum seeker and refugee children are not safe under existing arrangements on Nauru," said Nicole Breeze, Director of Policy and Advocacy, UNICEF Australia, in a statement.
"The Australian Government must take immediate action for children and their families to prevent further harm," she said.

The Nauru government operates the detention center with support from Australia and private contractors.
In response to the report, Broadspectrum, the private company responsible for various services at the detention center, told CNN that it maintains a "robust incident reporting system," and takes all allegations "extremely seriously."
"The care and well-being of asylum seekers is paramount in our processes and actions," said Executive General Manager, Chris Gordon, in a statement. "We have been open and transparent about our work at the RPC [Regional Processing Center], noting that the environment at the center can be complex and challenging."
In an email to CNN, Wilson Security, also named in the Guardian report, said they were unable to respond to questions and referred all inquiries to the Department of Immigration.

Since 2012, refugees arriving in Australia by boat have been transferred to offshore centers in small pacific nations such as Nauru and Papua New Guinea's Manus Island to make it clear they would not be settling in Australia.

Successive Australian leaders have defended the policy as humanitarian, to stop people drowning at sea, despite multiple reports of abuses at the country's offshore camps.
Between 2007 and 2013, the Australian government says at least 1,200 people lost their lives trying to make the journey over water.
In February, the Australian High Court upheld the government's right to hold the asylum seekers.
By fonewear 2016-08-10 10:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm Australia has a high court...does it include Foster's beer ?
By Ramyrez 2016-08-10 10:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that's...oof.
 Diabolos.Prodigy
Server: Diabolos
user: Prodigy
By Diabolos.Prodigy 2016-08-10 10:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump's gotta just say this stuff on purpose with the sole purpose to watch the media squirm and battle it out. He's playing with them.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-10 11:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Assange is now implying that the July 10th death of a DNC staffer may have been due to the staffer being the source for the DNC leaks. The current claim is that the death was the result of a robbery, even though the staffer had his watch and wallet on him.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-10 12:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Assange is now implying that the July 10th death of a DNC staffer may have been due to the staffer being the source for the DNC leaks. The current claim is that the death was the result of a robbery, even though the staffer had his watch and wallet on him.

I hope he has some kind of evidence otherwise it's clear he joined the conspiracy theorist group.

I would think that Assange would know if the staffer was the source or not. When asked specifically if he was indeed the source, Assange said that he does not reveal sources. So yeah, no proof at this point but it's interesting and yet another example of a suspicious death tied to the party of peace, tolerance, and unicorns.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-10 12:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I would think that Assange would know if the staffer was the source or not. When asked specifically if he was indeed the source, Assange said that he does not reveal sources. So yeah, no proof at this point but it's interesting and yet another example of a suspicious death tied to the party of peace, tolerance, and unicorns.

I continue to find this whole situation illuminating, yet shady as ***. It's hard to trust anything at face value when your source is an ambiguous, unidentified group of hackers that may or may not be based in Russia and may or may not have ties to said country's government.

Too many question marks. Yet much of what he's shared so far is undoubtedly true and confirmed as such, so grounds for credibility also.

I maintain that above all the situation still reeks of massive privacy violations that while seemingly justified in the name of revealing the truth, are nevertheless disturbing.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-10 12:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinton works efficiently.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-10 12:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm first to say I enjoy when people/companies in power get all their ***leaked on the internet because it gives us a picture of what's really going on when the cameras are off...

but *** if I wouldn't be pissed if someone dumped all my emails/personal information and correspondence online all willy nilly.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-10 12:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

And in a move sure to bring peace in Syria....

Church's Drones Will Drop Bibles on ISIS Territory
Swedish church wants to convert Syrians

Quote:
(Newser) – What people living in ISIS-controlled areas really need is Christianity delivered by drone, an evangelical church in Sweden has decided. The Uppsala-based Word of Life church says it plans to use military drones to drop thousands of Bibles over parts of Syria in the hope of converting Muslims, CNET reports. "Let's pray the message of God's love in Christ will conquer that of darkness and hate," the church said in an Instagram post. The church plans to drop Arabic-language electronic Bibles, which will not need to be plugged in to work.

The church's missions director says the plan "is not connected to any military or aggressive action in any way," but has a lot in common with traditional smuggling of Bibles into places like the Soviet Union, the Washington Post reports. On its Facebook page, the church says the Bible drop is happening in parallel with the church's other work in the region, including providing medical care in refugee camps. It hasn't responded to a post from somebody worried that ISIS will harshly punish anybody caught with a Bible—and that extremists will now target the church's headquarters in Sweden.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-10 12:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I just imagine the Christian God shouting in his loudest Joe Pesci voice "What the ***...is going on?"
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-10 12:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

I hope he has some kind of evidence otherwise it's clear he joined the conspiracy theorist group.

Wikileaks openly offered ransom to anyone who knows more about what happened to the guy.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-10 12:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I have nothing to idea go ahead Wiki leaks do your worse !
By Ramyrez 2016-08-10 12:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Pffh. What about where you hid the body of the woman in your avatar!?
By fonewear 2016-08-10 12:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to see a leak of how the mods bad mouth us in private messages. Cant they do that ?
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-10 12:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Pffh. What about where you hid the body of the woman in your avatar!?

I didn't hide her she hide herself. Look on youtube see if you can find any new videos of her.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-10 12:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
And in a move sure to bring peace in Syria....

Church's Drones Will Drop Bibles on ISIS Territory
Swedish church wants to convert Syrians

Quote:
(Newser) – What people living in ISIS-controlled areas really need is Christianity delivered by drone, an evangelical church in Sweden has decided. The Uppsala-based Word of Life church says it plans to use military drones to drop thousands of Bibles over parts of Syria in the hope of converting Muslims, CNET reports. "Let's pray the message of God's love in Christ will conquer that of darkness and hate," the church said in an Instagram post. The church plans to drop Arabic-language electronic Bibles, which will not need to be plugged in to work.

The church's missions director says the plan "is not connected to any military or aggressive action in any way," but has a lot in common with traditional smuggling of Bibles into places like the Soviet Union, the Washington Post reports. On its Facebook page, the church says the Bible drop is happening in parallel with the church's other work in the region, including providing medical care in refugee camps. It hasn't responded to a post from somebody worried that ISIS will harshly punish anybody caught with a Bible—and that extremists will now target the church's headquarters in Sweden.

I saw this lol

Livets Ord are a bunch of crazy people, kinda like Jehovah's witnesses

It's what we call a "frikyrka" or free church and they're usually really weird. Livets Ord is basically a cult

Quote:
In Sweden, the term Free Church (Swedish: frikyrka) often means any Christian Protestant denomination that is not part of the Church of Sweden. This includes Baptists, Pentecostals, Methodists etc.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-08-10 13:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I just imagine the Christian God shouting in his loudest Joe Pesci voice "What the ***...is going on?"

You have me thinking about which characters of the cast of 'Goodfellas' would take the roles of Apostles now.

Saint Peter?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-08-10 13:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

:/
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-10 14:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I know your secrets.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-10 14:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-10 14:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

DONT YOU DARE CORRUPT ONE OF MY FAVORITED BELOVED BOOK SERIES.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-10 14:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't do the corruption, I just spread it.

Like being the monkey carrying Ebola. I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just adorable and every who hugs me dies.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-10 14:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

I didn't do the corruption, I just spread it.

Like being the monkey carrying Ebola. I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just adorable and every who hugs me dies.

HARAMBE NOOOOOOOO!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-08-10 15:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like they found some more of Hillary's 30,000 deleted emails.

They don't much look like yoga schedules and wedding plans either.

Quote:
Judicial Watch today released 296 pages of State Department records, of which 44 email exchanges were not previously turned over to the State Department, bringing the known total to date to 171 of new Clinton emails (not part of the 55,000 pages of emails that Clinton turned over to the State Department). These records further appear to contradict statements by Clinton that, “as far as she knew,” all of her government emails were turned over to the State Department...

...Hillary Clinton has repeatedly stated that she believes that the 55,000 pages of documents she turned over to the State Department in December 2014 included all of her work-related emails. In response to a court order in other Judicial Watch litigation, she declared under penalty of perjury that she had “directed that all my emails on clintonemail.com in my custody that were or are potentially federal records be provided to the Department of State, and on information and belief, this has been done.” This new email find is also at odds with her official campaign statement suggesting all “work or potentially work-related emails” were provided to the State Department.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-10 15:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Looks like they found some more of Hillary's 30,000 deleted emails.

They don't much look like yoga schedules and wedding plans either.

Quote:
Judicial Watch today released 296 pages of State Department records, of which 44 email exchanges were not previously turned over to the State Department, bringing the known total to date to 171 of new Clinton emails (not part of the 55,000 pages of emails that Clinton turned over to the State Department). These records further appear to contradict statements by Clinton that, “as far as she knew,” all of her government emails were turned over to the State Department...

...Hillary Clinton has repeatedly stated that she believes that the 55,000 pages of documents she turned over to the State Department in December 2014 included all of her work-related emails. In response to a court order in other Judicial Watch litigation, she declared under penalty of perjury that she had “directed that all my emails on clintonemail.com in my custody that were or are potentially federal records be provided to the Department of State, and on information and belief, this has been done.” This new email find is also at odds with her official campaign statement suggesting all “work or potentially work-related emails” were provided to the State Department.

And there is concern regarding the Clinton Foundation's involvement in some of them...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-08-10 15:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

if only the fbi had thought to check the recipients when they did their investigation.

dang this email/internet thing is tricky
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-10 15:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry guys, a president committing perjury is nothing new. Like husband, like wife.

She wouldn't even be prosecuted, she was just "extremely careless" when she lied under oath. Her carelessness was that she was caught.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-08-10 15:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to see a leak of how the mods bad mouth us in private messages. Cant they do that ?

I don't really bother to hide my disdain
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 40 41 42 ... 53 54 55