Random Politics & Religion #09

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #09
Random Politics & Religion #09
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 ... 53 54 55
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 19:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So...completely random. I was looking for something online about a friend of mine who died in Afghanistan.

Apparently -- and I was never aware of this -- Westboro tried to start some ***at his funeral. Doesn't look like it caught on, luckily. I wasn't able to get to the service due to problems in travel distance but I don't recall hearing of any *** that happened with their ignorant ***.

Just sort of jarring to go looking for a specific bit of info about someone and that's the first thing you find on Google searching for him. -.-;
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 19:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Er...to add. Specifically what I found was a .pdf flier that Westboro distributed trying to drum up support for their horse ***.
By Bloodrose 2016-08-04 19:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thankfully, any and all known members of the WBC are barred from entering Canada to spew their brand of hateful horse ***.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-08-04 20:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
The arms race with Russia was getting sufficiently nuts, that's for sure. And I certainly believe that nuclear weapons should be an absolute 100% last resort. However, the whole "red button" idea that the president can just send a nuke anywhere at any time by just because he feels like it seems very overblown to me and approaching the realm of fantasy. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that for me, because it doesn't sound right. On that note, I highly doubt Trump would nuke anyone, and presidential opinion on military actions seems to change drastically from the day they get into office and get briefed by actual military leaders anyway so I don't put much credence to any Trump comments that have to be stretched to make a point in the first place.

The President doesn't have a red button that he pushes and nukes go up in the air. He doesn't even have the launch codes. He orders them to ready status, he can provide the target, he can issue the firing order, but somebody else, whether its a submarine (most likely firing position) or a silo in the Midwest, is turning the keys. Its always two people and they have to turn the keys at the same time and its impossible for one person to be within reach of both keys. Those movies that you see do have that part right (except for Crimson Tide, you can't leave a key in the launch position). So really, even tho the President is the final authority (he doesn't need the consent of anyone), if one of those key holders chokes, nothing happens.

Its never gonna happen tho, I don't think that any country is ever going to deploy nukes again, Trump shouldn't even talk about them.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-04 20:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
The arms race with Russia was getting sufficiently nuts, that's for sure. And I certainly believe that nuclear weapons should be an absolute 100% last resort. However, the whole "red button" idea that the president can just send a nuke anywhere at any time by just because he feels like it seems very overblown to me and approaching the realm of fantasy. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that for me, because it doesn't sound right. On that note, I highly doubt Trump would nuke anyone, and presidential opinion on military actions seems to change drastically from the day they get into office and get briefed by actual military leaders anyway so I don't put much credence to any Trump comments that have to be stretched to make a point in the first place.

The President doesn't have a red button that he pushes and nukes go up in the air. He doesn't even have the launch codes. He orders them to ready status, he can provide the target, he can issue the firing order, but somebody else, whether its a submarine (most likely firing position) or a silo in the Midwest, is turning the keys. Its always two people and they have to turn the keys at the same time and its impossible for one person to be within reach of both keys. Those movies that you see do have that part right (except for Crimson Tide, you can't leave a key in the launch position). So really, even tho the President is the final authority (he doesn't need the consent of anyone), if one of those key holders chokes, nothing happens.

Its never gonna happen tho, I don't think that any country is ever going to deploy nukes again, Trump shouldn't even talk about them.

Yeah, I didn't think that it was literally a button because that makes zero sense, but thanks for the info. It does further reinforce the idea that being nervous about any presidential candidate being nuke-happy is a bit of an irrational fear.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 21:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/08/04/george-zimmerman-punched-face/88273212/

Quote:
orge Zimmerman says he was punched in the face after talking about the Trayvon Martin case at a Sanford-area restaurant over the weekend.

Zimmerman said he was ordering food at Gators Riverside Grille Sunday evening when he walked by a table with several people and complimented a man’s Confederate flag tattoos, according to the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office.

The man, Joseph Whitmer, thanked him and asked, “aren’t you that guy?” Zimmerman said yes and pulled out his ID to prove who he was, a report shows.

Whitmer asked about the Trayvon Martin case and as Zimmerman started to explain that he fatally shot the unarmed teen in self-defense, another man walked up and asked, “You’re bragging about that?”

Zimmerman told that man he wasn’t but the man said “you better get the [expletive] out of here,” a report shows. Zimmerman told deputies he went back to his table where several of his friends were eating.

Deputies: George Zimmerman punched in face after talking about Martin case
George Zimmerman says he was punched in the face after talking about the Trayvon Martin case at a Sanford-area restaurant over the weekend.
Several minutes later, the man, who was only identified as Eddie, walked over to his table and said, “Didn’t I tell you to get the [expletive] out of here...” a report states.

Zimmerman told the man he wasn’t looking for any trouble and that’s when the man punched him in the face, breaking his glasses, records show. Restaurant staffers broke up the scuffle. Zimmerman called 911.

Zimmerman then called 911.

“This man just punched me in the face,” he told a dispatcher. “...He said he was going to kill me. You need to send three or four cops.”

He said the man and about five of his friends were holding him back. The man then fled in a blue Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

A Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman said they are still attempting to locate the man, who could face battery charges.

Zimmerman told the dispatcher he was injured and needed paramedics.

“I don’t know where I’m bleeding from. My face is bloody,” he said.

“He told me he was going to kill me,” Zimmerman told a dispatcher. “He told me he would [expletive] shoot me.”

Several Witnesses told deputies a slightly different version. about what happened. Whitmer’s wife said Zimmerman approached them while they were eating and said “Hey, I like your racist tattoos,” records show.

He then told them about killing Trayvon “to brag,” a report states.

Another witness who was at Whitmer’s table said he also asked Zimmerman to leave their table. He said he had an issue after “Zimmerman came to his table and proceeded to brag about how he was the one who killed Trayvon Martin,” an incident report states.

Zimmerman told the Sentinel he thinks it was a miscommunication. In 2013, he was acquitted of murder in Trayvon’s death.

Zimmerman said the man was apparently intoxicated.

He said he thinks the man thought he was Matthew Apperson, who was accused of shooting at Zimmerman during a road-rage confrontation in May 2015 in Lake Mary.

Zimmerman said the man told him to go away and accused him of “shooting George Zimmerman,” prompting the fight.

Gators Riverside owner Ed Winters told a different story.

He said the incident started when Zimmerman approached a shirtless patron who had just come in from the St. Johns River and told him he didn’t like one of his tattoos. After a few words, Zimmerman walked back to his table.

A friend of the first man to approach Zimmerman — who was at the restaurant with family celebrating a 12-year-old’s birthday — walked over to Zimmerman to confront him, Winters said.
The two argued, but no punches were thrown, Winters said.

The two shoved each other, but Winters said claims of anything further are “blown out of proportion.”

Winters said Zimmerman called 911, prompting a full-fledged response from the police and fire department.

Zimmerman had been to the restaurant at least once before the incident, but Winters said Gators Riverside asked him not to come back after the debacle.

“Everywhere this guy goes he causes controversy,” Winters said. “You’d think he’d keep a low profile.”

Human garbage getting what it deserves. Oh so innocent Zim Zam can't help but continue to be a blight everywhere he goes.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-04 21:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
“This man just punched me in the face,” he told a dispatcher. “...He said he was going to kill me. You need to send three or four cops.”
Zimmerman is such a backseat cop. Lol

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2016-08-05 07:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama sends 400 million to the wonderful nation of Iran. Nothing to see here folks move along.
By fonewear 2016-08-05 07:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-sent-cash-to-iran-as-americans-were-freed-1470181874
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 08:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Obama sends 400 million to the wonderful nation of Iran. Nothing to see here folks move along.

The only problem with this is the optics of it given the release of Americans detained the same time we sent the cash. Read an interview with the guy who wrote that article. It's something that the administration announced six months ago as a thing that was going to happen, and monetarily speaking Iran had a case in international court that if we didn't pay it, we'd be on the hook for a lot more. The actual business of the deal goes back over 30 years so...THANKS CARTER. YOU STUPID PEANUT *** FARMER.

But yeah. The problem is public perception and how Iran is spinning it saying they wouldn't have released the guys they did without the payment when that may not be entirely accurate.

But it was going to be a shitstorm no matter what, because it's us NOT firing missiles at Iran, which is what a lot of people seem to want, soooo...
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-05 09:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if it wasn't ransom, it was a really dumb way to handle it. Paying off a decades-old business deal in pallets of cash at the same time as handling a prisoner release? Yeah....
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-05 09:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
But yeah. The problem is public perception and how Iran is spinning it saying they wouldn't have released the guys they did without the payment when that may not be entirely accurate.
Well, if the Obama administration is smart about it, they would have not released the money until the guys held hostage were on US soil.

Then they would have the case of saying that this was part of the Carter deal and not about any hostage negotiation.

Either way, it's bad press right now.

But it's Obama, so the press is going to just not comment on it and move on to the next faux outrage against Trump. I heard he has a pimple on his left buttock, let's spin that into saying that Trump is racist.

But it was going to be a shitstorm no matter what, because it's us NOT firing missiles at Iran, which is what a lot of people seem to want, soooo...
Honestly, nobody wants another war. Not Republicans, not liberals/democrats, nobody.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-05 09:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Related:

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 09:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if it wasn't ransom, it was a really dumb way to handle it. Paying off a decades-old business deal in pallets of cash at the same time as handling a prisoner release? Yeah....

Yeah. Something still stinks about it.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 09:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The interview with the WSJ journalist was good. Can't link it atm. Basically he said that there's a possibility that it had to be paid in cash because our sanctions against Iran are working so well that we simply can't get them that kind of cash through some other means, but even he's like "I don't know about that..."

I don't think it's so much "shady" as "hey, this wasn't the best way to go about this."
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 09:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Honestly, nobody reasonable wants another war. Not Republicans, not liberals/democrats, nobody.

We've got some unreasonable people in both office and voting.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-05 09:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
This is the "false claim" you are going with? Not the outright lie the White House is trying to pass off that they did not pay a 400 Million dollar ransom to Iran in illegally laundered cash to get around our own Sanctions. You are something else Chanti. Really.
Your argument is with ABC news among others Aman, not with me.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-05 09:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, nobody reasonable wants another war. Not Republicans, not liberals/democrats, nobody.

I was reasonable once.

BO-RING.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-05 09:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Luckily, none are in power to declare war with Iran.

Clinton is the one most likely to declare war on any nation. Regardless of what you say about Trump, Clinton has an actual record of her voting for the war on Iraq. Even if she "says" she wouldn't do it, but do you honestly trust a known liar?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-05 09:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
This is the "false claim" you are going with? Not the outright lie the White House is trying to pass off that they did not pay a 400 Million dollar ransom to Iran in illegally laundered cash to get around our own Sanctions. You are something else Chanti. Really.
Actually, his argument is with the Obama administration and their continuation, the Clinton campaign.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 09:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I didn't think that it was literally a button because that makes zero sense, but thanks for the info. It does further reinforce the idea that being nervous about any presidential candidate being nuke-happy is a bit of an irrational fear.

It's really not the fear that it would happen, it's the concept that...*** hell, buddy. Is this really the kind of mentality you want as president just to spite Hillary?

I don't know. We've said it a thousand times, no one is arguing for a candidate here as much as against the other. Which is a position of weakness on both sides, really.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 09:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinton is the one most likely to declare war on any nation. Regardless of what you say about Trump, Clinton has an actual record of her voting for the war on Iraq. Even if she "says" she wouldn't do it, but do you honestly trust a known liar?

I don't trust anyone except my wife and my mother. And the latter has a shelf life, because our family has a history of dementia in old age. Sooner or later, she's going to have to be taken with a grain of salt.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 09:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, his argument is with the Obama administration and their continuation, the Clinton campaign.

Technically his argument is with Iran being shitty in the first place, and we're all just pissing and moaning about the right way to handle it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-05 09:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know. We've said it a thousand times, no one is arguing for a candidate here as much as against the other. Which is a position of weakness on both sides, really.
Fine, I'll argue for Trump:

At least he is slightly better than Clinton.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 09:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically his argument is with Iran being shitty in the first place, and we're all just pissing and moaning about the right way to handle it.

etc. etc. etc. going back to it all we're all just really pissed at the Sun for letting all this ***happen in the first place.

*** the Sun. I ***' hate it too. Long live the ***' beast.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-05 09:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't trust anyone except my wife and my mother. And the latter has a shelf life, because our family has a history of dementia in old age. Sooner or later, she's going to have to be taken with a grain of salt.
Better prepare yourself too then. You are already as crazy as Nik sometimes.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-05 09:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine, I'll argue for Trump:

At least he is slightly better than Clinton.

Not really an argument for Trump.

And I propose the inverse is true.

Which is why we're all bickering and nitpicking over which pile of ***to eat.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-05 09:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

How to Hack an Election in 7 Minutes

With Russia already meddling in 2016, a ragtag group of obsessive tech experts is warning that stealing the ultimate prize—victory on Nov. 8—would be child's play.

Politico magazine and way too long for a full copypasta:

Openers:
Quote:
When Princeton Professor Andrew Appel decided to hack into a voting machine, he didn’t try to mimic the Russian attackers who hacked into the DNC’s database last month. He didn’t write malicious code, or linger near a polling place where the machines can go unguarded for days.

Instead, he bought one online.

With a few cursory clicks of a mouse, Appel parted with $82 and became the owner of an ungainly metallic giant called the Sequoia AVC Advantage, one of the oldest and vulnerable, electronic voting machines in the United States (among other places it’s deployed in Louisiana, New Jersey, Virginia, and Pennsylvania). No sooner did a team of bewildered deliverymen roll the 250-pound device into a conference room near Appel’s cramped, third-floor office than the professor set to work. He summoned a graduate student named Alex Halderman, who could pick the machine’s lock in seven seconds. Clutching a screwdriver, he deftly wedged out the four ROM chips—they weren’t soldered into the circuit board, as sense might dictate—making it simple to replace them with one of his own: A version of modified firmware that could throw off the machine’s results, subtly altering the tally of votes, never to betray a hint to the voter. The attack was concluded in minutes. To mark the achievement, his student snapped a photo of Appel—oblong features, messy black locks and a salt-and-pepper beard—grinning for the camera, fists still on the circuit board, as if to look directly into the eyes of the American taxpayer: Don’t look at me—you’re the one who paid for this thing.

Appel’s mischief might be called an occupational asset: He is part of a diligent corps of so-called cyber-academics—professors who have spent the last decade serving their country by relentlessly hacking it. Electronic voting machines—particularly a design called Direct Recording Electronic, or DRE’s—took off in 2002, in the wake of Bush v. Gore. For the ensuing 15 years, Appel and his colleagues have deployed every manner of stunt to convince the public that the system is pervasively unsecure and vulnerable....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-05 09:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The right way to handle it is to let the next administration pay it up, if Iran says we owe them more money because of that, tell them to go *** themselves, and if Iran doesn't release the hostages, tell them to go *** themselves and threaten (but not declare) war on them if they don't.

But honestly, it's all a pissing match. Hey, stop crossing the streams!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 ... 53 54 55