BREXIT Just Happened...

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » BREXIT Just happened...
BREXIT Just happened...
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 28 29 30
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-06-29 08:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Phoenix.Thorbean said: »
Law =/= morality. Everyone has the right to free speech regardless of the law. It's a basic human right. If people don't like what you are saying, they tend to give you a derogatory label in an effort to make what you are saying less credible. Sensible people will listen to your points and make an informed judgement. Half of the rest will scream racist/whatever and the other half will believe it because "I'd never agree with a racist".

Nobody is saying people are lobbying to remove peoples right to free speech, they are doing it by giving derogatory labels to make their argument weaker. At least explain why uncontrolled immigration is a benefit when a country is struggling to cope with the increasing population. Did you know that 13.5 Million UK citizens are classed as living in poverty (just under 1/3 of the population)? How is uncontrolled immigration helping exactly?

Addressing a the problem of unchecked immigration is not frowned upon. Approaching it in a constructive way is vital.

Addressing it in this fashion:

Is, in fact, a scumbag thing to do and while there may be a "right to free speech" to allow you to express yourself as such, you have no right to defense from sensible people who call you out for your idiotic behavior.

I 100% agree bringing race or country of origin into it is bull ***and shouldn't be happening. These people are mostly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and can't grasp idea that immigration is a positive when it is controlled and done right.

How many times have we been told "It's not Islam, but a small vocal minority who are spreading hate". The same thing needs to be understood about this decision. The racists will jump on it like a cat on a mouse, but that doesn't mean that the idea is a bad one, and it doesn't mean that the idea itself is racist.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-29 08:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

edit equally*
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-06-29 08:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
give you a derogatory label in an effort to make what you are saying less credible
giving derogatory labels to make their argument weaker.
Completely missing the point. Not sure though if on purpose or unaware.

I believe the english saying is "calling a spade a spade".

Not missing any point. Keep calling everyone a racist for wanting EU immigrants to be treated the same as USA/Australian/NZ/Canadian/Turkish/Russian immigrants though. It's helping build a picture of what you actually believe to be equallity.
And once again you reply with a thing completely unrelated to what was quoted.
If you want to engage in a debate do it properly please.
You claimed we treat immigrants like garbage. At least back up your claim. If we were so unfair on immigrants, they wouldn't be here...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I 100% agree bringing race or country of origin into it is bull ***and shouldn't be happening. These people are mostly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and can't grasp idea that immigration is a positive when it is controlled and done right.

How many times have we been told "It's not Islam, but a small vocal minority who are spreading hate". The same thing needs to be understood about this decision. The racists will jump on it like a cat on a mouse, but that doesn't mean that the idea is a bad one, and it doesn't mean that the idea itself is racist.

Maybe I'm not understanding other people's points well enough then. As far as I can tell people aren't saying that everyone who voted to exit is racist, they're saying that the exit is bringing the racists out of the woodwork and obscuring the more legitimate reasons people voted to exit.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-29 08:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You claimed we treat immigrants like garbage
I talked about the group of people who are derogatory and cry that they're being bullied when others call them out on it.
You're including yourself into this group apparently, I didn't say Thorbean.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You claimed we treat immigrants like garbage. At least back up your claim. If we were so unfair on immigrants, they wouldn't be here...

There have been countless instances shared across the internet of people being discriminated against for being of "foreign" descent, even though they're natural-born UK citizens.

Like I said, it's not everyone by far. But the exit vote has brought a lot of *** out of the woodwork and made them bold enough to publicize they're deeply-held backward views.

And it's a problem.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-29 08:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeh we treat EU immigrants like garbage by giving them full access to our welfare system before they pay in via taxes. They deserve special treatment over the non EU nationals who are here. Sounds fair.
Interesting strawman. Considering I've said none of all that. Say that to people who actually claimed such things, not to randoms you think you can have an argument with.

This is a gentleman who clearly has the same concerns in the UK as we have here in the US with Central/South American immigration. The concerns are valid. It's the method of approaching the problem that is questionable.

"Kick everyone out, close the borders, keep (insert country/culture here) pure for us!" isn't really a valid approach, no matter how fervently some people think it is.

What's you method of approach besides automatic citizenship to enforce legal immigration ?

Gas chambers ? Large ovens ? Large group firing squads? hard labor forced starvation like the gulags of russia? Eugenics human experimentation?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-29 08:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

it doesn't mean that the idea itself is racist
No one said that. But we've posted polls in the past that show that xenophobia is infact a driving factor to many people who voted brexit.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-29 08:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »
Eugenics human experimentation?
Yes please.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-06-29 08:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea of controlled immigration isn't racist, if it was why would you need boarder control or a passport to travel outside of your own country?

All these people crying out for us to get rid of all immigrants and keep Britain pure are deluded. If anyone here seriously thinks they're pure British they need to research their ancestry.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

What's you method of approach besides automatic citizenship to enforce legal immigration ?

Gas chambers ? Large ovens ? Large group firing squads? hard labor forced starvation like the gulags of russia? Eugenics human experimentation?

...tone it down, Godwin. In the US, at least, I'm fine with standard immigration procedures and am in favor of an easier path to legalized citizenship.

Eugenics human experimentation?

You're the genius who just said you wanted to clone four billion people that agree with you. How about you tone down the rhetoric?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-29 08:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »
The idea of controlled immigration isn't racist
I'm sure nobody said otherwise.
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-29 08:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no issue with the global population unlike the United Nations.

I'm just happy a nation as old as England is taking control of there nations destin.
By Odinz 2016-06-29 08:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Ramyrez for bringing the conversation back on point - I was pounding my head wondering when this became about brexit = racist.

It was I that said 2 pages ago that the Brexit has encouraged the worst of society to come out and spit out their venom.

That suddenly was responded to by a "don't like the UK f u, f ur europe! rawr. Its not racist to want to keep our borders protected"
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea of controlled immigration isn't racist, if it was why would you need boarder control or a passport to travel outside of your own country?

All these people crying out for us to get rid of all immigrants and keep Britain pure are deluded. If anyone here seriously thinks they're pure British they need to research their ancestry.

Here's the thing about immigration:

The immigrants -- by and large -- are not the problem. Yes there's a handful of bad eggs. But generally no greater proportion than the bad eggs that are natural-born.

The problem with immigration is the cause of the migration. Why are these people leaving where they're from in the first place?

Because it's shitty.

But when we offer foreign aid or try to help these countries sort their problems out, the same people who cry about immigrants cry about their tax dollars aiding foreign governments.

Not understanding that, at least in some capacity, this is part of fixing the immigration problem.

Now, in the case of the U.S., unfucking the whole "war on drugs" would also go a long way to correcting our immigration issues because a lot of the countries people are fleeing from are being ravaged by war and corruption involving the drug trade.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-06-29 08:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It isn't racist to keep boarders protected.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, submitted before I meant to there:

Quote:
Now, in the case of the U.S., unfucking the whole "war on drugs" would also go a long way to correcting our immigration issues because a lot of the countries people are fleeing from are being ravaged by war and corruption involving the drug trade.

In the case of the UK/EU in general, well.

There's a lot of cultures, languages, religions, and regimes at play. No one said peace was easy. Only a worthy goal that justifies the hard work it takes.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Who is saying that it is!?

I despise using the phrase "strawman" but this really seems like one. People keep coming back to this when no one is saying "leave all your borders open and unchecked!"
[+]
By Odinz 2016-06-29 08:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Who said it was?!! Which side of this argument came out and said "Brexit and border control is racist"?

We are saying

- one of goals of the EU was to have open movement across borders for member states.

-Brexit has been followed by a rise in racism in UK

You are saying "controlling borders isn't racist"

There's no logical sequence there.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-29 08:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the thing about immigration:

The immigrants -- by and large -- are not the problem. Yes there's a handful of bad eggs. But generally no greater proportion than the bad eggs that are natural-born.

The problem with immigration is the cause of the migration. Why are these people leaving where they're from in the first place?

Because it's shitty.

But when we offer foreign aid or try to help these countries sort their problems out, the same people who cry about immigrants cry about their tax dollars aiding foreign governments.

Not understanding that, at least in some capacity, this is part of fixing the immigration problem.

Ok, but this isn't necessarily the immigration they are talking about.

85,000* British nationals leave the UK every year to live, work, and study within EU countries. It is estimated that 185,000 EU immigrants enter the UK every year to live, work, and study.

Numbers are all estimates
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-06-29 08:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

How are your borders unprotected atm? Genuinely curious...
By Odinz 2016-06-29 08:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Ok, but this isn't necessarily the immigration they are talking about.

85,000* British nationals leave the UK every year to live, work, and study within EU countries. It is estimated that 185,000 EU immigrants enter the UK every year to live, work, and study.

Just to add to that point on an international level, there are 5 million British citizens working and living abroad, outside the UK.

These are professionals, and does not include students.

They, the professionals, are overwhelmingly University Graduates.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-29 08:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Its offical. England gets nothing the Brexiteers promissed.

Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-06-29 08:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I'm not understanding other people's points well enough then. As far as I can tell people aren't saying that everyone who voted to exit is racist, they're saying that the exit is bringing the racists out of the woodwork and obscuring the more legitimate reasons people voted to exit.

My responses have been in regard to this:
ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Caseyanthony said: »
So what if people voted leave over immigration it's not about been racist it's about the UK been a small Island and having 350k+ people a year coming into the country which puts a stain on everything from NHS to public transport so of course people are going to vote to stop that, it's common sense it has nothing to do with hating anyone or feeling superior.

"It's not about being racist, it's [string of quasi-racist rationalizations]."

When there was nothing racist at all about what was quoted. Then when I made that point I was met with:

>Treats immigrants like garbage
>Feels bullied by people who call that out

Goddamn.

That's the problem.

There have been countless instances shared across the internet of people being discriminated against for being of "foreign" descent, even though they're natural-born UK citizens.

Like I said, it's not everyone by far. But the exit vote has brought a lot of *** out of the woodwork and made them bold enough to publicize they're deeply-held backward views.

And it's a problem.

It's far from countless in comparison to the millions who voted out. What you have is a vocal minority on the leave side who think the 52% are behind them causing problems. Then there is the vocal minority on the remain side who foam at the mouth at every turn in an effort to change the decision. Both groups are very small in comparison to the vast majority who are just getting on with it as usual. Lets not forget the UK is one of, if not the, most ethnically diverse countrys in the world. If we were such a racist nation, we would have had a lot more hate crimes over the last 20-30 years.

There is a clip of a 16-18 year old telling an Immigrant guy to get off the bus. Everyone else shouted the biggot down and had him thrown off instead. The foreign guy made the point that he had been here for longer than the kid had been on the planet. That's how we deal with the problem, it's really not hard to solve, but it's a job for the public and the media to make positive examples rather than just showing the negative. It won't take long until the scum are back under their rocks. That story hasn't been as public because it's not negative enough for the media.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-29 08:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Then when I made that point I was met with
Once again I did not say that to you, you're deciding you're one of those people. Ffs, listen.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-06-29 08:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the thing, the main focus of the leave campaign was immigration and the NHS.

To most leave voters these 2 things were one and the same. The NHS is on it's knees and uncontrolled immigration from the EU was the reason.

This isn't my personal view, this is the view of a majority of Brexit voters.

I preferred it the way it was, seems to me that most Brits don't realise that this free movement within the EU works both ways.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-06-29 08:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like Vodafone is considering moving their headquarters out of England...
By Odinz 2016-06-29 09:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Its offical. England gets nothing the Brexiteers promissed.

If I am going to be perfectly honest, I think the British Government could have managed a reversal but France and Germany came out in full force making moves towards a "superstate" and making it painful or near impossible for the British Government to reverse the situation.

Britain decided Brexit was the way, but be sure the EU made damn sure it was final.

I don't think either side behaved wisely. But I'm going to put more fault on the Germans and French leaders.

I will also say that Cameron is a fine statesman and I have enjoyed his presence on the international stage. He is a rare breed in today's international politics. But then again its best that he leaves now. The next prime minister is going to have to deal with either Trump or Hilary.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-06-29 09:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
How are your borders unprotected atm? Genuinely curious...

It's against EU law to ask if an EU immigrant has a criminal record when entering the UK.
We also can't remove convicted terrorists from the country if there is a chance they may be badly treated when returned to their country. We have a number of terrorists here who we can't deport by law and it costs us tens of millions of pounds a year to keep them under surveillance.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 28 29 30