Random Politics & Religion #06

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #06
Random Politics & Religion #06
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 34 35 36
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2016-06-12 18:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-12 18:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Couldn't even include "you" in your retort?
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2016-06-12 18:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, as in, I'm not going to attempt to have a heated discussion with someone who makes ***up and projects them onto other people.

The same someone defending the *** out of homophobes. The same person who equates a strong dislike for homophobes to literally wishing gays were forced to be straight or dead.

So, nope.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-12 18:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Nope, as in, I'm not going to attempt to have a heated discussion with someone who makes ***up and projects them onto other people.
I'm not projecting anything. So, what in your mind am I projecting?

The same someone defending the *** out of homophobes.
Nope, not me.

I'm attacking the event. You are attacking a group of people for their viewpoints. Kindof like how that killer did. Except you haven't (yet) gone so far as to murder somebody that we know of.

You are attacking a group of people you disagree with. Plain and simple. And anybody who points that out is either "projecting" or "making ***up" in your mind. Wake up to reality man. You are just as bad as the murder in your blind hatred....

The same person who equates a strong dislike for homophobes to literally wishing gays were forced to be straight or dead.
Now I know you aren't talking about me now.

Who's projecting what now?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-12 19:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, I'm surprised I still have posting ability.

Usually I would be banned for having an opinion about now. I guess everyone else's report features are broken too.

I certainly know a certain somebody is spamming the hell out of his report button at the moment....
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-06-12 19:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I certainly know a certain somebody is spamming the hell out of his report button at the moment....

Don't do that. First off, it's not true, and secondly, meta-commentary like that is just passive-aggressive nonsense. You both probably need to take a step back, though, as it's crossing the line from "heated, but still kind of civil" into something more.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-06-12 19:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The ease of obtaining weapons does, in fact, play a part in the obscene number of shootings that occur in America compared to other first world countries.

Well, yes. That goes without saying. The prevalence of any one weapon will likely result in that weapon being used the most. Restrict that weapon, though, and people will use something else. What gets me is how people still bring up the gun violence rate and compare it to countries without guns as if that says anything useful at all. The key metric is murder rate, and you have to break it down by how many murders would or would not have occurred if stricter gun laws were in place.

When it comes to these crazy mass-shootings, I always think about whether or not the shooter would have been deterred by such laws. The answer (as far as I can tell) is often "no". In this particular case, you had a man that wanted to kill a bunch of people in a crowded space that likely knew that he wouldn't survive. The only other alternative I can think of to guns is explosives, which would have turned out worse for everybody.

I honestly don't have a big problem with people talking gun control, but using mass shootings as the soapbox seems like the stupidest time to do it, because although it's the easiest time to point a finger and say "Derp a der guns bad!", they're also some of the least likely shootings to have been prevented by gun laws.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-12 19:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
meta-commentary like that is just passive-aggressive nonsense.
You are right, sorry.

I'm still a little teeved from something else though. Probably what brought out my comments from earlier >.>

Drama Torama said: »
You both probably need to take a step back, though, as it's crossing the line from "heated, but still kind of civil" into something more.
I wouldn't have resorted to personal attacks, I promise you that.

And if it did, I would have just reported it and not responded to it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-12 19:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I honestly don't have a big problem with people talking gun control, but using mass shootings as the soapbox seems like the stupidest time to do it, because although it's the easiest time to point a finger and say "Derp a der guns bad!", they're also some of the least likely shootings to have been prevented by gun laws.
Possibly, but then we would be left with a more "efficient" way of killing that, like you said, would have left everyone in a worse situation.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-12 20:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because a person is homophobic doesn't mean that they are going to shoot humans. Remember, a gay/lesbian/transgender/whatever the other alphabet soup people are all humans, like (hopefully) you and me.

Gay people are gay because, well, that's their choice. But guess what, they are human too. And nothing gives anyone the right to kill a human (except for self defense, but even then, there are extreme cases for that)....
Many whateverphobic phobic people consider those who they fear as less than human. And therefore expendable.

And being gay isn't a choice. Pulling a triger is a choice though.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-06-12 20:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Gay people are gay because, well, that's their choice.

How is this still a thing...
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-06-12 21:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Your orientation is not a choice, it's genetic.

That's not necessarily true. Several genes have been identified as markers for orientation, but environmental things like hormones in the womb have also been linked. It's still not understood fully, but it is most definitely not a choice.

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-06-12 22:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

They're all just correlations at this point. Actually figuring out and proving a causal relationship doesn't have much backing partly because of ideological reasons and partly because it's not really important. Homosexually occurs in many species, it's obviously not unnatural or detrimental, so who really cares why?
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-12 22:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

All homophobes are *** and idiots. All of them. And I will condemn them for that.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Sounds gay
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-06-12 22:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
They're all just correlations at this point. Actually figuring out and proving a causal relationship doesn't have much backing partly because of ideological reasons and partly because it's not really important. Homosexually occurs in many species, it's obviously not unnatural or detrimental, so who really cares why?

Yeah, the science certainly isn't settled on the "born that way" part either, but it seems clear that it isn't a conscience choice for the majority. The more you look into it, the more fluid the understanding of sexual preference is. It sucks that the whole thing has become so politicized that people feel the need to deal in absolutes on the issue, but as you said, "who really cares why?"
By volkom 2016-06-12 23:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

been a lot of shootings over the past couple of years
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-06-12 23:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
been a lot of shootings over the past couple of years

Still not the time to talk gun control.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-12 23:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Being only 2 hours away, I have many friends in Orlando. Still waiting to hear from some of them.

I went and donated blood today. I'm happy to see that the place was full. I had to wait about 3hrs to donate and was there maybe 4hrs overall.
I hope you'very heard back from everyone you know.

If you haven'the they'very started to release the names if you need to check.
http://www.cityoforlando.net/blog/victims/
By Ruaumoko 2016-06-12 23:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The debate on Homosexuality being genetic is the same as the debate on Autism and Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) in that there is no consensus on causes. Dealing with absolutes and saying that there is a, erm... 'gay gene', is flawed. While I suspect that sexual inclination is affected by genetics it is certainly not the entire package and I believe that environmental factors/personal experiences are what serve as catalysts to activate said genes.

I am a high-functioning autistic who struggled through childhood, adolescence and continue to struggle with aspects of it - namely sensory overload, speaking problems and social 'twitches'. These made face-to-face communication where I could not control the flow of a social event problematic and still makes group speaking (in person) nearly impossible. It was made worse or rather compounded through my experiences and varied/changing environments. I suspect that homosexuality operates in a similar manner in that genetics lay the potential for a person but it takes environmental or personal experiences to complete the process. It would not surprise me in the slightest if future, more comprehensive, studies proved that ASD and LGBT lifestyles are connected.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-13 00:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

In order to be LGBT one must look at the same sex in a perticular manner. I dont understand how anyone can claim that they were or others are born gay. Children are not born leaning towards any sexual disposition whatsoever. They are not born "straight" nor LGBT but rather oblivious and unaware of such realities to begin with.
it is most definitely not a choice.
I dont see such as the truth regardless of what research claims is or is not fact. If you choose not to look at the same sex in a sexual manner are you still gay? Of course not. Being gay is all in the mind. It's where it all begins.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-06-13 00:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
In order to be LGBT one must look at the same sex in a perticular manner. I dont understand how anyone can claim that they were or others are born gay. Children are not born leaning towards any sexual disposition whatsoever. They are not born "straight" nor LGBT but rather oblivious and unaware of such realities to begin with.
I dont see such as the truth regardless of what research claims is or is not fact. If you choose not to look at the same sex in a sexual manner are you still gay? Of course not. Being gay is all in the mind. It's where it all begins.

So, you're saying that a straight person could just choose to be gay? You acknowledge that scientific studies overwhelmingly show that orientation is hardwired, why do you think your anecdotal personal observations counter that at all? Tons of things are determined before they manifest. Is baldness a choice because children have hair?
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-13 01:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

So, you're saying that a straight person could just choose to be gay?
If they choose to fantasize over someone of the same sex. I dont see why not.
You acknowledge that scientific studies overwhelmingly show that orientation is hardwired,
I dont buy into any of that. I alrdy said that.
why do you think your anecdotal personal observations counter that at all?
So only Doctors can have opinions. Which they themselves constantly change routinely.
Tons of things are determined before they manifest. Is baldness a choice because children have hair?
That is hereditary. So doctors are claiming homosexuality as hereditary then?
VIP
By Jassik 2016-06-13 01:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So only Doctors can have opinions. Which they themselves constantly change routinely.

They change opinion based on new research and evidence, not on a whim.

That is hereditary. So doctors are claiming homosexuality as hereditary then?

At least partly, yes.

I dont buy into any of that. I alrdy said that.

The great thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-13 01:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Yeah, the science certainly isn't settled on the "born that way" part either, but it seems clear that it isn't a conscience choice for the majority. The more you look into it, the more fluid the understanding of sexual preference is. It sucks that the whole thing has become so politicized that people feel the need to deal in absolutes on the issue, but as you said, "who really cares why?"

It's impossible for there to be a "homosexual gene" as such a gene wouldn't survive more then a generation in he long chain of mutations that is our genetic history. The liberals really try to twist ***around to defense this but hard coded same-sex-non-reproductive genetics simply aren't possible. Different-sex-reproductive genetics are 100% hard coded into genetic material, it's how we went from lizards to apes and then to humans. With that in mind, every human is born "heterosexual" by default and then a combination of inherited behavioral frameworks and life experiences triggers the preference switch.

The whole "I was born this way" *** excuse was made as a passive defense mechanism to deflect social blame. It's a way of shifting "blame" for someone's sexuality away from themselves, which is humiliating. Homosexual people should just stand up and declare how proud they are for their choices. There is nothing more empowering then making an active decision in one's own life.

"I can't help being homosexual I was born this way" is just another way of saying is wrong with being homosexual and that the person isn't responsible for it.

"I chose to be homosexual because it's amazing and I enjoy it greatly" is saying that not only is there nothing wrong but that being homosexual is great and the person is responsible for that their involvement in that greatness.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-13 01:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You acknowledge that scientific studies overwhelmingly show that orientation is hardwired,

What the ***...

No they don't, not even close. The exact opposite was shown in children as young as a few days after birth. Though it's admitted that at that age it's really difficult to determine preferences by facial expressions and where their eyes look the most.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-13 01:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So, you're saying that a straight person could just choose to be gay?
How do you "Scientificlly" explain Bisexuals then? Sometimes gay. Sometimes straight. Whichever way the wind blows for them. Whatever they personally choose to be as of at that moment in time.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 34 35 36