Random Sportsball!!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Random Sportsball!!
Random Sportsball!!
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14
By Ramyrez 2016-04-25 10:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Should change the title to "Random Hockey and possibly other sports also"

It will even out eventually.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-04-25 10:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
My Sports Knowledge is limited to Rugby, F1 and E-sports.

So no sports knowledge.
All the Real people sports i needa know!!
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-25 10:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I used to really hate Jagr; I grew up a Sabres fan and hopped onto the Penguins after college when I moved to the Pittsburgh area, and by then Jagr was a Ranger. But as time has gone on, honestly, I've started to really like the guy. He's easily one of the best players of all-time and his personality is pretty unique, and his work ethic is second-to-none.

As a Pens fan I just felt really burned by him when there was talk that he was up for trade and thinking about returning to the Penguins, only to have him flat out say not enough money, not enough center of attention ice time.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-25 10:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't wait for the "My sport is better than your sport" discussion.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-25 10:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

All I know is that I like the F1 drivers that have been on Top Gear for the most part, but my favorite has been Kimi Raikkonen.
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-25 10:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Schizm said: »
If it's goalies, it's Patrick Roy, hands down...

My #1 Goalie is Brodeur

YouTube Video Placeholder

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-04-25 10:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

All I know is that I like the F1 drivers that have been on Top Gear for the most part, but my favorite has been Kimi Raikkonen.
Mines probably Jason Button. He seems like a genuinely nice guy unlike some of the others, who are good drivers with terrible personalities. Niko Rosenberg *cough Cough* Sebastian Vettel
By Ramyrez 2016-04-25 10:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
I used to really hate Jagr; I grew up a Sabres fan and hopped onto the Penguins after college when I moved to the Pittsburgh area, and by then Jagr was a Ranger. But as time has gone on, honestly, I've started to really like the guy. He's easily one of the best players of all-time and his personality is pretty unique, and his work ethic is second-to-none.

As a Pens fan I just felt really burned by him when there was talk that he was up for trade and thinking about returning to the Penguins, only to have him flat out say not enough money, not enough center of attention ice time.

I blame his agent for that more than him, but I was pissed at the time too...but I got over it.

He's just really hard not to like, right now. He's admitted himself he's sort of "grown up" some in the past decade since he went to the KHL and came back.

I couldn't stand him as a Ranger. He was dirty as hell and expected things just for being Jaromir Jagr.

Since he's come back from the KHL though he's been a ton better in that regard and his personality has really shown to be markedly improved.

I mean, I still hate him on the ice when the Pens play him because he's still got the same compete level he always had and he can get nasty as anyone, but I like him as a player now.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-25 10:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is where I get to say I do not understand the appeal of ball sports.

I understand the appeal of sports, competition, dominance, substitute for and often training for war, its the ball obsession that I don't get.

I know that they are old. Tennis started out in 1200 France as a hand ball game. Aztec basketball is at least that old and spread far beyond the borders of the empire. Polo is variously said to go back to somewhere between 600 BCE and 100 CE. Golf goes back to the 1400s. The Mayans had rubber balls, but we haven't found a sport involving them. Soccer traces back to Han Dynasty (206 BCE–220 CE) China or further.

But since at least the late 1800s ball sports have been dominate over all other sports.

Why?

Thanks.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-25 10:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

My #1 Goalie is Brodeur

I've toned down my hate over the years, but...

*** Marty!

^

Good goaltender on great defensive teams that choked the life and fun out of the sport.

Give me Hasek or Roy any day.
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-25 10:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If you wanna go that way, I won't compare sports but I do have some gripes about the NFL which is what everyone I know seems to love so much.

There is waaaaay too much downtime. So many of the "Atheletes" have guts bigger than I do and have to sit down 50% of the game and still look gassed.

Quarterbacks are all big pussies. There are like... 2 guys I can think of that actually have the nuts to run with the ball.

The video games all suck.

BIGGEST GRIPE - The last 2 minutes of the game are almost never even *** played. If the team with the lead gets the ball in the last couple of minutes, the game is over. There is no suspense for a clutch play, a fumble in the last seconds, an interception, etc. I think the NFL should FORCE a team to actually play during the entire game and running out the clock should be a violation. Actually if you ask me the clock should not be running between plays at all. If they think games would take too long to play because of the clock not running down then shorten the quarters. If there is time on the clock it should be spent moving that ball around, not taking god damn naps and starting interviews before the clock has even run out.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-25 10:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
But since at least the late 1800s ball sports have been dominate over all other sports.

Why?

Because most of them are cheap and easy to play, whereas polo, tennis, (and even hockey, honestly) are exclusive to people with money because it takes more than a $20 glove and a $5 ball, or a $10 ball on its own.

The same reason some Olympic sports don't catch on in a big way. Archery, skiing, curling, etc.

I wish they would, they're far more fun to watch. I don't actually care for American football all that much, but I watch it because everyone does and I live in Steelers Country. I can't watch baseball anymore. I used to when I played as a kid and teen, but I just can't watch it anymore. I've tried. It's boring as hell.
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-25 10:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

My #1 Goalie is Brodeur

I've toned down my hate over the years, but...

*** Marty!

^

Good goaltender on great defensive teams that choked the life and fun out of the sport.

Give me Hasek or Roy any day.

You know what, I will say this in the un-defense of Brodeur. The last couple years he was around felt bad, like real bad. Like he was playing WAAAAY longer than he should have been just so that he could get a couple more records in.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-25 10:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Curling is not fun to watch.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-25 10:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I'm with you. I watch it b/c everyone does and I enjoy seeing good plays made as much as anyone, but I generally find it to be kind of boring.

And I just don't enjoy basketball for some reason. I think it's the squeaking sneakers and the off-court personalities of players...and people who try to say anyone has ever been or ever will be better than Michael Jordan.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-25 10:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what, I will say this in the un-defense of Brodeur. The last couple years he was around felt bad, like real bad. Like he was playing WAAAAY longer than he should have been just so that he could get a couple more records in.

I'm pretty sure even he would have admitted that.

Which was fine until it legit hurt his team because Corry Schneider is a hell of a goalie and taking his starts was shitty.

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Curling is not fun to watch.

I disagree.
By volkom 2016-04-25 10:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a discussion starter? Anyone here watch F1?

What are peoples opinions on the new Qualifying changes? I'm personally not too sure on what they have done. 'Cause it promotes more activity in getting the cars out on Q1, but, even the commentators at times don't know what the hecks going on >:

i like f1 >_>;
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-04-25 10:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a hardcore sportsfan,
However I like many different sports therefor I'm not sticking with one favourite and thus not getting into too much details.
What I usually like to watch are the big events when I see it somewhere (not ordered): Football (World/european cup/Champions League/some special europa league games (Dortmund vs Liverpool was great recently), Curling, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Snooker, American football,(beach) Volleyball, Handball, Sport of athletics, I usually record the Olympic games during the times I cannot watch it live, as they cover things like badminton which I like but are never on TV otherwise, Bowls, Biathlon, Bobsleigh, Figure skating, Fencing.

I have absolutly no interest in:
F1 (and all other car-sports) as I cannot differentiate what's the driver's skill and what is the doing of the cars.
Bicycle sport except for Track cycling or Triathlon.
Wrestling goes also in that list.
Diving, I have to mostly rely on the judges there as I cannot spot the differences and that bothers me too much to enjoy it.

I am not a fan of any club-level team in any sport currently.

Outside from a few in either list that I forget to mention all the other sports are neutral to me and I might watch them or not depending on mood.
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-25 11:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I'm with you. I watch it b/c everyone does and I enjoy seeing good plays made as much as anyone, but I generally find it to be kind of boring.

And I just don't enjoy basketball for some reason. I think it's the squeaking sneakers and the off-court personalities of players...and people who try to say anyone has ever been or ever will be better than Michael Jordan.

You know what though, COLLEGE Football is fking amazing. Sometimes those kids will just about kill themselves to make plays, unlike the NFL where everyone is scared of getting hurt and losing paychecks.
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-25 11:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone has ever been or ever will be better than Michael Jordan.

Pffft Jordan couldn't even master the Chaos Dunk.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-25 11:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Seahawks have definitely been one of the more entertaining teams to watch, I can stay awake when they are playing for the most part.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-25 11:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what though, COLLEGE Football is fking amazing. Sometimes those kids will just about kill themselves to make plays, unlike the NFL where everyone is scared of getting hurt and losing paychecks.

Here's the thing about college sports (setting aside the NCAA, which is such a crock of ***I don't even want to talk about it).

I don't get college sports. People who never went to college, let alone went to the college they're fervently dedicated to following?

If you didn't go to a school, how do you have any significant attachment to it?

I mean, I get why I keep tabs on the IUP Indians "Crimson Hawks," (ugh), but not many people care about a Div II school anyhow, you know?

All the diehard Pitt fans in the 'burgh who barely graduated high school in the vocational programs who will murder you for saying the words "Penn State" around them?

Oi.
[+]
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2016-04-25 11:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't follow college sports at all, for two reasons:

1) My college was a D3 nobody, and I'm not going to bandwagon someone else

2) The NCAA is almost FIFA-level corrupt. I would love to see it dismantled (or reformed to be unrecognizable), and I can't justify giving it any money or exposure in the meantime.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-25 11:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Breaking news:
Court reinstates Tom Brady's 4 game suspension
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14