Random Politics & Religion #02

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 38 39 40
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 12:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
What's a nascar dad?

Mid-Western Conservatives who identify as Republican. They believe the majority of propaganda on Fox News, but aren't quite at the level of Tea Party crazy. They like booze and boobs. They're a lot of fun but don't talk politics with them if you don't share the same mind set.

Long story short my father in law.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 12:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF TO USE THIS.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-22 12:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
So in reality...I think all three are pretty awful and at least one of them is downright evil.
If you think any of those three is downright evil, you would consider Clinton as Diablo and Sanders as the superdevil.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 12:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So in reality...I think all three are pretty awful and at least one of them is downright evil.
If you think any of those three is downright evil, you would consider Clinton as Diablo and Sanders as the superdevil.

That doesn't begin to make sense.

You would consider Clinton as Diablo and Sanders as the superdevil...

I consider Clinton as tolerable but in no way fitting or ideal (basically a Democrat version of W.,) and Sanders is ideal in his idealism but really just maintaining the status quo because there's no way he gets anything done with an opposing Congress.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 12:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Long story short my father in law.

Pretty much everyone's father-in-law if you didn't marry your wife for your father-in-law's money.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-22 12:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I consider Clinton as tolerable but in no way fitting or ideal (basically a Democrat version of W.,) and Sanders is ideal in his idealism but really just maintaining the status quo because there's no way he gets anything done with an opposing Congress.
I meant to say "one would consider..."

Damn you Rooks edit button! Another post made victim to your evil, wily ways!
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 12:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If Clinton is El Diablo wouldn't that make Sanders, Magic Man?
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-22 12:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn you Rooks edit button! Another post made victim to your evil, wily ways!

Think I'm gonna add a bbcode like the sandwich one, that just displays W under that "Mission Accomplished" banner, for just these occasions
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 12:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If Clinton is El Diablo wouldn't that make Sanders, Magic Man?

[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 12:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-22 13:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

In scary Trump news:

Trump makes dramatic turnaround on eliminating national debt

Quote:
Donald Trump has had a 14-figure change of heart in three weeks.

Last month, the Republican presidential front-runner made news when he told the Washington Post that he'd push to “get rid of the $19 trillion” national debt “fairly quickly,” estimating the effort could be completed “over a period of eight years.”

But in an interview with Fortune published April 21, Trump seemed to walk it back, rejecting the idea of eliminating the national debt within 10 years. “You could pay off a percentage of it“ in that time, Trump told the magazine, stressing that the “most important thing is to make sure the economy stays strong” and adding the debt could be paid off in “smaller chunks,” larger chunks and refinancing.

“It depends on how aggressive you want to be. I'd rather not be so aggressive,” he said. “Don't forget: We have to rebuild the infrastructure of our country. We have to rebuild our military, which is being decimated by bad decisions. We have to do a lot of things. We have to reduce our debt, and the best thing we have going now is that interest rates are so low that lots of good things can be done that aren’t being done, amazingly.”

Trump's initial proposal to wipe out a $19 trillion national debt in two presidential terms struck fiscal policy experts and even outspoken deficit hawks as fanciful. The idea was also mathematically impossible to square with Trump's other promises not to cut Social Security or Medicare and to lower taxes by trillions of dollars.

A Trump campaign spokesperson didn't immediately respond to a request to explain his shift. Trump has faced criticism during his presidential run for altering his stated policy positions, sometimes sharply and rapidly.

Experts said the New York billionaire's new position makes more sense.

“His original claim that he could eliminate the debt in eight years was simply asinine,” said Loren Adler, a fiscal policy expert who works at the nonpartisan Brookings Institution. He said that even setting aside Trump's other proposals that would raise the debt, “there’s no way any president could pay of the entire debt in eight years without tax increases and spending cuts way beyond the magnitude of anything this country has seen before,” and attempting to do so would “inevitably cause a significant recession.”

“It’s obviously hard to tell which position he actually holds, but the desire to start paying off the debt slowly is certainly more sensible, particularly given today’s low-interest environment,” Adler said. “What we actually need to do is simply start lowering our debt relative to the size of our economy as we continue to recover.”

Jared Bernstein, a former economic adviser to Vice President Joe Biden, was surprised by Trump's shift but considered his call for infrastructure investments—a view supported by many Democrats—a step in the right direction.

“That's really something,” Bernstein said in an e-mail. “I gotta say, he makes numerous good, important points: low interest rates means servicing the debt is less costly and that this would be a smart time to emphasize productivity enhancing investments over debt reduction. But just to keep it real, let’s not forget that due to the massive revenue losses in his tax plan, it would be impossible to make these investments.”

Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a former director of the Congressional Budget Office and economic policy adviser to Republican John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign, cast doubt on the viability of Trump's old and new positions.

“Under current law, the debt will rise by 50 percent ($14 trillion to $21 trillion) by 2024,” he said in an e-mail. “He has proposed an enormous tax cut, promised to not touch either Social Security or Medicare, and is committed to bigger defense spending. His initial promise was preposterous and would not happen. This one is dubious as well.”

The federal government had $18.2 trillion debt outstanding at the end of the last fiscal year on Sept. 30, 2015, according to the Treasury Department. In order to even start to pay down the debt, the government would have to completely eliminate its annual budget deficit and run a surplus. Budget experts say it will be hard enough just reducing red ink. Getting rid of it entirely in any sort of reasonable time frame is considered virtually impossible. The Congressional Budget Office projects that the deficit will be $534 billion in the current fiscal year.

The U.S. last ran a surplus from 1998 through 2001, under President Bill Clinton, amid circumstances that are unlikely to be repeated. The U.S. benefited from a so-called peace dividend after the end of the Cold War, which held down military outlays. Revenues, meanwhile, were boosted by a stock market bubble that inflated capital gains. Prior to that, the U.S. had run deficits for 28 straight years.

What's scary is how much he has changed over the course of a few days. He almost sounds....presidential.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-22 13:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

He has been pushed to get more specific with his proposals, I guess this is the second issue he has chosen to be more specific with, even though he didn't actually lay out any kind of plan.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-22 13:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Who needs a plan when you're just awesome! *crowd cheers madly*
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 13:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Just copying/pasting my earlier post elsewhere because it's valid here now, too.

Quote:
So, now that Pennsylvania's primary is in a week we're finally getting campaign commercials on the local stations.

Bernie's is pretty straightforward and standard. I don't think it's going to sell anyone on him that wasn't already sold.

Trump's though...

...Donald Trump's commercial is just like 30 seconds of him saying ***. 60% of it is the same ***Bernie says, even. But then he just starts saying things out of context.

IT'S A SATIRE. THE ENTIRE THING.

He's GOT to be trolling the country and people are too dumb to realize it. You could put the commercial on SNL and it would need ZERO adjusting to be a joke. It's the kind of thing Andy Kaufman and Kubrick aspired to create.

If you made the Powerthirst video political, that's what this Trump ad is.

I laughed out loud until I realized it was entirely serious and people are actually buying into it.

We are so ***.

It doesn't matter of Trump, the man, wins the nomination or the entire damn election.

Trump, the idea, has already won.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 13:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sort of what KN said earlier.

The idea of Trump has won, it doesn't matter if the man does or not.

He's exposed a certain portion of this country and it's not a pretty picture to see...but there they are, and we now have to deal with the fact they're there.

It's like the Twilight Zone episode "The Shelter."
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-22 13:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I also wish the GOP candidates would drop the talking point of our military is being decimated by "bad decisions." The only real problem with the military right now is the disaster that is the F-35, which has nothing to do with "bad decisions" being made in Washington.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-22 15:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I like your attempt but your argument was that the value of gold is constant whereas I would have said its based on what an individual or group values it at.

Never did I say the value of Gold was constant.. I said Gold will always have value. Massive difference.

so I didn't feel the need to be redundant.
Hasn't stopped you the past few pages.. Every one of your posts is redundant and borderline meaningless since you think golds value is completely based off government taxes.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 16:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Congratulations you win the straw man of the year award.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-22 16:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

8 people from the same family were shot in the head by one gunman, in different areas of Ohio. 7 adults and one teenager, one of them was a mother who was shot while in bed with her four day old child

Hopefully they catch this guy
By Altimaomega 2016-04-22 16:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Congratulations you win the straw man of the year award.

Hard thing to do when you took it 3 pages ago.

things

Stop creating strawmans to argue with.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-22 16:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The child is okay
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-22 16:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The newborn and 2 other children weren't harmed at least
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-04-22 16:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
I like your attempt but your argument was that the value of gold is constant whereas I would have said its based on what an individual or group values it at.

Never did I say the value of Gold was constant.. I said Gold will always have value. Massive difference.

Hasn't stopped you the past few pages.. Every one of your posts is redundant and borderline meaningless since you think golds value is completely based off government taxes.
Most everything has some kind of value whether it be large or small so I mean... Ok?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 16:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

PR opportunity for Kasich, but that's a cynical quip.

Does make you wonder who did the Rhoden family piss off.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-22 16:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Altimaomega said: »

Most everything has some kind of value whether it be large or small so I mean... Ok?

Ah, chiming in with no context to the conversation again I see.
Thanks for your valuable input.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-04-22 16:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh that's right you consider your posts to contain valuable input... Silly me...
By Altimaomega 2016-04-22 16:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Oh that's right you consider your posts to contain valuable input... Silly me...

I expect you to have a clue what you are talking about. No more, no less.
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 38 39 40