Random Politics & Religion #02

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30 ... 38 39 40
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Altimaomega said: »
You mean you're only allowed to have one safe and it has to be in your business and all the employees must have a key?

I am really out of touch, all these new laws I knew nothing about..
What you are suggesting is counter to actual business practices. I do not know of one business that runs a cash-only, no bank account method. I mean, there's absolutely no growth in that....
I knew one. It was a fully licensed auto shop. Cash or check onry. Didn't have a company credit card and I suspect not even a bank account. I know they payed local suppliers cash, now idea how they payed their employees.

If they needed used parts the owner would drive to the wrecking yard and pay cash. I needed a fairly rare transmission, found one in Idaho, was told I would have to pick it up. But I have a credit card so I bought it and had it shipped. It was an all's well that ended well.
You can't be a "cash or check only" business and not have a bank account. You already countered your own example.

I mean, you cannot legally cash checks made out to the company without a bank account associated with that company. That is against anti-money laundering banking laws that also (to nobody's surprise) created foreign accounts reporting laws that pretty much spat in the face of many trade agreements at that time.

But still, your example of a cash only, no banking account business is false due to legal standing with receipt of checks. And I bet you that not all checks were made out to that guy himself, but to his business.

You really don't know handymen, craftspeople, babysitters, whatever that support themselves or significantly augmented their income on the side with legit business practices that were cash-and-personal-check only?

That's every third person over 40 where I'm from...
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 14:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Otherwise, go live somewhere by yourself, with only what you can build with your two hands.

This sounds like a ton of fun and a great way to live.

Until I run out of Charmin.
Or get sick.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

And I bet you that not all checks were made out to that guy himself, but to his business.

You realize a person can operate a business and have checks made out to his person right?

Sure, except everyone else around you has to pay for what you are taking advantage of.

What exactly is getting taken advantage of here?

Well, this works both ways. You're also getting nothing from the government this way either.

Why do people "need" to get stuff from the government?
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I mean. I guess you don't have to? They already sort of nixed the roving bands of Natives that would have given you problems I guess.

But still. I prefer not to live in an anarchist society. That's just me.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Otherwise, go live somewhere by yourself, with only what you can build with your two hands.

Or get sick.

Who said you cannot buy Charmin with cash?
Who said you cannot go to the doctor and not use cash?

I'm at a loss here? You guys are not being truthful.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Roads, regulated water sources conveniently lacking other people's poo, electricity and gas not being scalped or cut off by literal brigands comes to mind too...
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I mean. I guess you don't have to? They already sort of nixed the roving bands of Natives that would have given you problems I guess.

But still. I prefer not to live in an anarchist society. That's just me.

Why is it anarchist? I've never said no government! I said Incredibly SMALLER government. About the size that keeps away roving bands of natives terrorist. Not let them in! /lmao
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Roads
Gas tax. Unavoidable using cash.

regulated water sources conveniently lacking other people's poo
Ehh. I have a well. Screw you city people?
Still probably paid for by a tax unavoidable buy using cash.

electricity
Not only unavoidable using cash, but solar panels and wind turbines cut the need for those things. I though we are suppose to be for green energy around here?

being scalped or cut off by literal brigands comes to mind too...
2nd amendment comes to mind.. No wonder the left hates it so much.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: anything else? This is fun.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

2nd amendment comes to mind.. No wonder the left hates it so much.

Err. I mean the power supply. Not actually being scalped.

But that too I guess.

I'm on board with some of the stuff you mentioned.

I'm just saying spend the tax money wiser and shift the tax burden onto people who can actually afford it.

Also, I'm generally a proponent of all most of the Amendments, though some of them I think get so contorted by the modern world that they can actually be detrimental.

And I'm not even talking first or second amendment here, so slow that talk down. At least when it comes to me.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-21 14:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Wanna hear some stupid local tax stuff? Of COURSE you do!

I live in a small town called Madrid, and nearby is a small town called Waddington. Each town has a library, and each town pays for their library themselves. The towns are small enough however that they share a school, Madrid-Waddington Central. As such both towns pay into the school taxes.

Recently Waddington submitted a proposal that would allow them to get $20,000 from the school district budget to pay for expenses at the library. There is also apparently some clause in how it is set up that if it passes they A) never have to put it to vote for future years and B) are allowed to increase the amount in future years without a vote to change it.

So if this passes my town will be paying for the neighboring town via school taxes, meanwhile we also pay for our library with no help from the Waddington residents.

I miss the days when I knew NOTHING about local government and never voted, but now that I have done it once...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
I miss the days when I knew NOTHING about local government and never voted, but now that I have done it once...

Just become one town already. Yeesh. If you're that close already!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't edit, but don't answer that. I understand how that works. I lived in that kind of place.

But really. How does that even work? No one is raising hell over this?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 14:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Or get sick.

Who said you cannot buy Charmin with cash?
Who said you cannot go to the doctor and not use cash?

I'm at a loss here? You guys are not being truthful.
Wait, why are you using cash? You know, that government backed currency?
Use something that isn't government backed. Like bitcoin.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-21 14:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It always amazes me how many american cities have names that are taken from already existing places...
Did the settlers really lack so much creativity? I mean come on, it would even be fun to get to give a name to a new town!
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 14:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It always amazes me how many american cities have names that are taken from already existing places...
Did the settlers really lack so much creativity? I mean come on, it would even be fun to get to give a name to a new town!

Experiment
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Many places were either 1) named during colonial times as provinces of/intended embodiments of the old places, 2) named after rulers of said old places, 3) are repetitive because they're named for other people.

I mean, every state out there probably has a "Johnsonburg," and "Youngstown," etc.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I mean, here's the problem also.

This is a real sign.

I've passed it hundreds of times between where I went to college and my hometown.

[+]
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-21 14:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Just become one town already. Yeesh. If you're that close already!

For realsies.

I think the only reason they don't is because 1/2ish of the people that hold political offices would lose their jobs and have nothing else they can do in their lives.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-21 14:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Many places were either 1) named during colonial times as provinces of/intended embodiments of the old places, 2) named after rulers of said old places, 3) are repetitive because they're named for other people.
Uhh..duh?
But if I had the power to name a town the last thing I'd do would be to rename it after another existing town.
Come on, you could name it whatever you like!!
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So if this passes my town will be paying for the neighboring town via school taxes, meanwhile we also pay for our library with no help from the Waddington residents.

Welcome to big government.

Wait, why are you using cash? You know, that government backed currency?
Use something that isn't government backed. Like bitcoin.

I see, you got nothing to say so be obtuse. Good play!

I'm just saying spend the tax money wiser and shift the tax burden onto people who can actually afford it.

Perhaps if the tax money was spent wiser, no need would exist to shift anything to anyone.
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-21 14:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't edit, but don't answer that. I understand how that works. I lived in that kind of place.

But really. How does that even work? No one is raising hell over this?

Not sure if you meant me. If so... yes, everyone in Madrid is in a big huff over it and everyone is posting to facebook about it (not sure how many people realize this but Facebook post =/= VOTING).
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I mean, here's the problem also.

This is a real sign.

I've passed it hundreds of times between where I went to college and my hometown.

I spent my honeymoon in Paradise MI. Drove through Hell(MI.) to get there!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-21 14:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

here's the problem also
I don't see a problem there!
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhh..duh?
But if I had the power to name a town the last thing I'd do would be to rename it after another existing town.
Come on, you could name it whatever you like!!

Handsome Eddy, New York.
The Bottle, Alabama
Condemned Bar, California.
Happyland, Oklahoma.
Hell, Michigan.

You act like it never happens..
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-21 14:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

See, those are awesome names!
Well, I don't quite get that Cali one lol.
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Rawry 2016-04-21 14:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

But I can only imagine how it went when they named Handsome Eddy.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-21 14:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you sure you want Americans to get creative? I have to wonder what these settlers were doing.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-21 15:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
'The origin of the name Toad Suck is disputed. Some hold it received the name when idle rivermen would congregate at the local tavern where they would "suck on the bottle 'til they swell up like toads"'

Lol.

Not the interpretation I had the first time I saw it, though. Wiki wasn't around then either. I thought they were lost in the woods and started getting groovy by licking toads, and just said, "*** it! Looks like a good a place as any!"
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30 ... 38 39 40